Dior Serum De Rouge

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Let's start off with a description:

I am half European/ half Indian so my skintone is light brown (winter) to medium brown (summer) with a yellow undertone. My lips are quite pigmented, which can be a problem with lipsticks. I used to have very dry lips, which looked horrible with lipstick on.

I came across Dior Serum de Rouge while shopping with my mother. We both like Dior a lot, and there happened to be a Dior make-up artist present at that time due to a promotion.

She picked out #880 plum serum and started to apply it. I immediately felt the buttery soft creamy texture which made my lips very moisturized. When she showed me the result in the mirror I was at awe how great it looked! It has a nice shine, but not over the top or glittery so still sophisticated.

This colour really complements skin with a yellow undertone!

And the best of all: I didn't even scrub my lips to remove flakies or put on a lipbalm first, but my lips were just perfect and smooth!

This lipstick immediately became my favourite one! I used it almost everyday during winter, the worst period for dry, cracking lips, but once I applied it, you couldn't see anything of the sort!

I don't seem to have a problem with the 'clicking' packaging like other reviewers. You will never overextend the stick with the risk of causing it to break. I dont have a problem putting the cap on, I never scrape excess product, since you can control how far the stick is extended.

There are a few downsides though:
First of all, the price! I was expecting it to be expensive while standing at the check out counter, since I am used to buying products from Dior, but my my.. I was quite startled when she showed me the price. But I must say it is totally worth it! Yes, 2g seems very little, but it really goes a long way, because of the buttery/ creamy texture, you don't need a lot. I've been using it everyday during winter, and still am using it now and I guess I have still a long way to go.

This leads to another downside: I like the clicking system, BUT you can't tell how much product you have left. I find that rather annoying, cause I liked to know exactly the current state of my make-up stash.

Another downside of the packaging as mentioned by another MUA review, you can only see the number at the bottom of the stick, not the colour. The testers in the store have coloured caps, so you can immediately see what colour it is. Since I have 2, I also purchased #870 Ruby serum (which is actually a beautiful bright bright red toned pink), it is almost impossible to see the difference. I actually kept the silver Dior sticker on the #870 so I can see what colour it is by the blink of an eye.

Something that can be a con, but is just a matter of appling it well: because of the buttery texture, you really have to watch smudging it with your fingers, or rubbing some on your face while blowing your nose (charming haha). The colours I have are quite dark/bright so it stains quite easily. Nothin a bit of good ol' rubbing and some compact powder can't fix, but you just have to check it once in a while.

The lipstick doesn't last very long, I have to apply multiple times during the day, but I really don't mind that at all. It doesn't dissapear completely though, it leaves a hint of colour on my lips which looks rather nice.

Also, since I have been using this I really don't have dry lips anymore! I am able to use other lipsticks now, like it worked like some kind of liptreatment!

What I do love about the packaging? Well, it is just stunning, love the slim packaging, and it is rather heavy > like the feel when holding it.
It gives a very luxurious feeling when applying this lipstick. Plus, I can easily work with the slanted tip which makes sure your lipstick always is at the perfect angle for application, unlike 'normal' lipsticks which tend to to lose the tip and become round after using it for a while.

I will be looking for some more colours! The colours I have are great for pigmented lips and a yellow skin undertone. Not all the colours suit me, the lighter ones are a bit boring for me. I also feel that some colours differ very little, and I don't like to buy nearly identical colours.

To sum it all up:
- Great colour and texture for pigmented lips
- Moisturizes and has a nice shiny/ creamy finish
- Application: love the slanted tip and the texture makes sure it just glides on easily
- The packaging looks absolutely gorgeous, and has a nice heavy hold.
- The clicking system prevents you from overextending the stick to prevent any damage.
- GREAT for dry lips. Even in icy cold weather when your lips consist of cracks and flakies and you feel they can just fall of: you don't need to scrub or use balm, it makes your lips look smooth and moisturized,and works as a liptreatment in the long term.
- Last quite a long time if you take in consideration everyday use with multiple touch ups during the day
- A few great colours for us yellow undertone gals!

- The price, EXPENSIVE!
- You can't see how much product is left
- Due to the texture it has a tendency to stain/ smudge if you are not careful
- You can't easily tell which colour it is if you own more colours, since it is lacking a coloured cap/ bottom.
- Not longlasting, need to reapply multiple times a day
- Little difference among some colours

I really love this product and would definitely repurchase! I will just close my eyes for a sec while she scans it at the register $$$..

on 4/17/2011 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I love this formula. I think it's great as fas as color goes( I have the 560 which is pink but it goes great with olive skin). It is expensive as $32 at Macys but the packaging is great and it conditions your lips and leaves them nice and soft. I would suggest this to anyone.

on 4/11/2011 6:59:00 PM

I had combed the shelves and counters of Sephora, Macy's, and nordstrom looking for lipsticks that flatter my NC20 Asian skintone and very pigmented lips. The winners were NARS Fire Down Below for a dramatic red, NARS Cruising for a nude, and this product, Dior serum in 730, the happy medium. I love this color and formulation so much!! It is on the expensive side but perfection has a price. I dab on 730 without any liner so it's like a lip stain and barely uses up any product. However, it makes my lips look like I just sucked on a cherry popsicle and wakes up my whole face. This is a must for faces with yellow undertones.

on 3/28/2011 6:52:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is my HG lipstick! #730 in Coral Serum is perfect for my pigmented lips and adds such a pretty pop of colour to my lips. Most lipsticks are either too dark/dramatic or too light. I hate light-coloured lipsticks but this was perfect. This colour is closer to a red than a true coral but is a light enough red that it's not too dramatic for everyday wear. Dior's Serum de Rouge has such a nice consistency on the lips that you can skip lip balm before putting this on, if you wish. (I still put a layer of lip balm on beforehand.) It's not very long-lasting but then again, no lipstick ever is. It is very expensive for a lipstick but no other lipstick colour flatters me as well as this one does. Highly recommended!

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I got this in the nude color. It does not last long. It tastes a bit off as well. But I like the color I wanted a simple nude lipstick.

I would definitely suggest a cheaper brand of which you'll likely get much better results.

on 1/24/2011 5:43:00 PM

Wow, I am actually surprised, how disappointed I am! This product has so many down sides.
First: the packaging: the lipstick is so close to the "casing", you can't avoid smearing the lipstick on the plastic when applying it to your mouth. You end up with a dirty blue packing.
Second: the price. Why should this cost more than any Chanel lipstick or twice the price of any MAC lipstick?
Third, and this is my biggest disappointment: this product makes my lips peel like CRAZY! My lips look gross after a few hours. And they feel horrible.
By the evening, I have to plug the skinflakes off my lips.

I bought 2 colours - the SA handed me over the wrong number when I asked for the lightest pink, she sold me a brownish beige only because they did not have the lids in the right order.

Now I have two Dior Serum de Rouge I can keep for ...ever?

Too bad I don't live in the US, there I would immediately offer to swap the two!

on 1/8/2011 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I got this as a gift from one of my cosmetic managers, but might I say: THIS LIPSTICK IS GORGEOUS. Internally and externally. I have the shade in 640, a nice nude pink and it's just beautiful. The packaging is gorgeous and the pigmentation is amazing.

What I especially love is the fact that when you turn the dial to increase the size of the product, it doesn't give you too much freedom to twist too much; it's controlled and I like that. It's a good way of saving product.

Despite the fact that I did get it for free, I would consider buying it.

on 1/6/2011 9:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Lovely lipstick - very comfortable to wear, gorgeous colours, and very high quality packaging. But, I'm not sure it's worth the price tag. I could also do without the slight minty tingle. Also beware that it's not a highly pigmented lipstick, I just use it for everyday, sort of a step above tinted lipbalm.

on 12/26/2010 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Okay I am in love with this product, but the price is way too high. Plus you dont get much product since it is so slimlined. Overall it has a gret consistency, very moisturing, and great SPF and lovely colors. I used this up in about a month which I never do with lipsticks. I did re-apply alot, but still it should last longer. I may buy this for a special occasion, VERY special occasion. It is my HG lipstick/gloss but sadly cannot afford.

on 12/13/2010 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

WOW...i really love this one. I bought it nr 850. the red color is just sooo beautiful, :D i love it . it's my favorite now.

Recommended for Medium Skin