November 23, 2014 | 1926 users online

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2013 2:03:00 AM More reviews by gerlygerl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been recommending plain old pink calamine lotion on the skincare board forever as a great mask and spot-treatment for acne, and I've been using it myself just as long. Calamine is the only product I can rely on to soothe and dry out any acne when my rosacea or eczema is flaring. It contains zinc oxide, so beware if that clogs you up. For me, zinc is calming, and reduces the redness in my skin.

If my face is breaking out and oily something fierce, I use a fan brush to spread the thin liquid all over my face after cleansing, then wash it off when dry. It's tough to remove, so a washcloth is required. I also use a q-tip to dab it on zits as an overnight treatment when my face is irritated but also broken-out. It can be overly drying, so I always make sure to moisturize well after using.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2012 1:12:00 PM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

This is a necessity in everyone's house because it's great for calming rashes and irritations. It's a must-use for chicken pox.

I've also seen it advertised as a face care product but I would never use if for that. I'm pretty sure it blocked my pores and caused me to break out.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2012 6:55:00 AM More reviews by LittleRedDoll

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Calamine lotion is a must have in every household.
It is very cooling for skin irritations - sunburnt, bug bites and rashes.

I don't know how I would go through summer without calamine lotion!
When I get sunburnt, this stuff cools you right down.
When you get mosquito bites, this stuff stops the itching.
When you get rashes, like when I had an allergic reaction and I got a rash all over my body, my back, chest, legs, arms, neck, everywhere...
Calamine lotion was a miracle. It cooled my boiling rashes straight away, and stopped the itching.

Perfect skin irritation lotion!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2012 8:25:00 AM More reviews by yuenloklok

This review is for ICM's Calamol Lotion which can be found in Watsons, Guardian and Unity.

This lotion works very well for flattening stubborn pimples. I drip the lotion onto a cotton swab and dab it onto them twice daily. Then I'll just wait for about 2-3 days for the pimples to die down.

I also use it to keep acne away. I dab a little bit of the lotion all over my face before I go to bed. It has been working very well for me due to my oily skin. However, those with dry skin might find it too drying.

Edit: I no longer dab it all over my face. I found it irritating, although I still use it as spot treatment.

Edit: down to 3 stars. too harsh on my skin to be used in the long run. a good short-term solution though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2012 2:23:00 PM More reviews by msog177

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Shockingly, this is the best primer I've ever used for my acne-prone, oily face. In the past, I've gone through Mac, Bare Escentuals, ELF, etc. However, nothing quite holds my makeup like calamine. Just yesterday, I was out in the sun all day, playing sports etc. and my makeup stayed put and looked fresh for over 9 hours. I was amazed. I use a small bit all over my face (not under my eyes) and calamine provides such a great base. So excited to have found this little trick. My calamine is from Walgreens, cost about $4 and I couldn't be happier. Hasn't broken me out at all.

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2012 10:37:00 PM More reviews by LaFemmNoir

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this as an eyeshadow primer. It really, really works and is much cheaper than TFSI or UDPP. While it won't make your eyeshadow more vibrant it will hold your eyeshadow in place all day, every bit as well as TFSI or UDPP. You shake the bottle and put your finger over the dropper, and tilt the bottle to get a drop onto your fingertip. Apply across eyelids. Maybe you'll need more or less, it will vary. A nice thing about it is that even when applied to the eyelids, you can apply eyeshadow with a wet brush and it doesn't affect the calamine lotion's ability to keep your eyeshadow in place. I do recommend applying eyeshadows wet because unlike UDPP or TFSI the calamine lotion does not make them look vibrant; otherwise use a neutral cream base over the calamine lotion. If it is too pale for your skintone you can wear foundation over it and it won't minimize its effectiveness much either. I wish there was a more convenient packaging solution but considering how cheap it is I can not complain too much. I use Humco brand, which although quite runny, has the shortest, most natural set of ingredients I can find.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2011 4:32:00 AM More reviews by rebekah202003

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love using this to quick dry my unruly pimples, especialy around that time of the month. I have been using this as a home remedy for about 7 years. I noticed that it varies, sometimes the pimple just disappears and other times it takes awhile. It does lessen the pimple and a lot of the time I will use it over my prescribed acne medicine. I have very oily, acne prone skin but this definitely helps. It might break some people out by clogging the pores but I haven't had that problem which is unbelievable. Definitely suggest for spot treatments!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by alitamali

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I read somewhere that one could use this product for acne so I had to give it a try. I don't have bad breakouts but did use it on several large pimples. I used a cotton swab to apply it and let it sit overnight. My pimple reduced in size and redness. I was pretty impressed and researched other uses for this product. I found that people also use it as a makeup base to control oil. I tried it (using a very thin layer because it leaves a white chalky residue) and saw results but I just didn't care for the texture that it created when mixed with my makeup towards the end of the day. I also have very oily eyelids and thought to use this as an eyeshadow primer. I did an experiment and only applied it to one of my eyelids and did makeup checks periodically throughout the day. Amazingly it worked! Where the eyelid without the primer had completely faded and creased @4hrs, they eyelid with the calamine primer was perfect and fresh. Because the calamine lotion left my eyelids dry I found it hard to get my eyeshadow to stick and the color was not very vibrant. Now I use calamine lotion under my Loreal Decrease eyeshadow primer and find that it works perfectly. (I also did a test using the Lorel Decrease alone on one eye and with the calamine lotion as a base for the Loreal Decrease and found that this combination did extend the life of my eyeshadow) . I have also heard of using Milk of Magnesia to control oil but have yet to try it.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2011 8:49:00 PM More reviews by haynmama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wish I had a before/after pic to show how awesome this stuff works on acne. I had a cystic acne breakout all over my mouth, chin, and cheek area. I think I have an occasional hormonal issue & I breakout bad. I'm talking, around 10 pimples or so. It's so hideous that I am honestly embarrassed to be out in public. I usually use Clean&clear, Neutrogena, or the like. But I have to use salycic acid because I will peel like crazy w/BP. Anyhoo, I was ready to try anything. because this has been my all time worse breakout ever.
I tried this out on a Monday. I applied the Calamine generously all over the affected areas with a cotton ball. My face was killing me. As someone else previously mentioned, less is more & I wish I read these reviews before putting matters into my own hands. My face was raw. And I mean raw. I wanted to just stick my face in a bowl of ice. I dont know if it was the CL or the mix of it w/my other acne products. My pimples looked huge and yellow, but I swore to leave them alone. I figured I'd try again the next day.
So, onto the next day. I washed my face with a gentle wash and towel dried it& very lightly dabbed the pimples with a very light layer of CL. Let it stay on and dry out for a few hours. By nite time my face had calmed down. Now, I have been applying no other treatments besides washing with my usual face wash. Night time, same routine.
I repeated this til Friday. Now I am a believer. My pimples are flat. they generally peeled off. Minimal scarring, my peeling &dryness has stopped. I'm going to try using this routine forever and post an update in a month or so.
I paid $3 for a good sized bottle & i'm sure this bottle should last for quite awhile. I just wish there was a better way to apply it. It's quite messy & runny.
Overall, I'm a happy camper. It will take a few days to work, but be patient it will. And also, less is more. If you have sensitive skin, especially. I would lightly dab a small area of interest at first to see how your skin reacts. *= )

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2011 11:46:00 PM More reviews by ktmalady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had been searching for something to relieve my very sensitive skin after shaving and I'd tried everything. Aloe vera, Bikini Zone, etc... and nothing. And then I read in one review that Calamine lotion was the answer so I bought a cheap bottle at the grocery store. And guess what? It works well... and quickly. I'm thrilled. No more irritation!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No