December 20, 2014 | 1605 users online

Foundations - Bare Escentuals - bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 5/9/2013 2:00:00 PM More reviews by knbruice

I used to use this foundation for years and I absolutely loved it. But a couple months ago they changed the formula and it became TERRIBLE. The container didn't last nearly as long, didn't cover as much. And I kept having to reapply all day. It was as if they put alot more "filler" ingredients in there instead of actual makeup. The color still matched perfectly but the quality of this product has definitely gone downhill. I wouldn't buy this again and I switched back over to Urban Decays mineral makeup. Sad because this used to be a great foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 10:57:00 AM More reviews by strathyx

I LOVE this product! It's my absolute must have! I have combination skin, my forehead is often very dry but the rest of my face oily and prone to breakouts, and this product manages to give me good overall coverage, which is so hard to find.
I've read a lot of reviews saying that it causes breakouts, but I can say I have never had a problem, in fact my skin looks a lot better since using this product (I can only think that those people who get breakouts don't take care of their brushes as they should).
My one little niggle is the price- it is expensive (especially when you're a student) but a little goes a long way, so I don't find myself having to buy the product often.
The packaging cannot be faulted in any way- the click system stops any leaks from it, and stops product wastage.
Overall, I will never go back to liquid foundation again! But, for those thinking of buying it- really try to get into a store where a consultant will advise you on colours and which of their products is best for your skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2013 12:16:00 AM More reviews by che11262

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this product for about 3 years and loved it. It covered my blemishes very well and blended in with my skin. However, during the time I was using it, I almost always had some form of acne on my face. Yet, I continued to use this product because it was the only thing that covered the blemishes without looking too obvious. After going off of it for about a week, my skin immediately starting clearing up. As a test to see if the makeup was the culprit behind my breakouts, I decided wear it again for a day. About 2 hours after doing this, I noticed small acne bumps popping up all over my face, especially on my forehead. My old acne lesions also started to flare up soon after I put the makeup on my skin. I'm really bummed that my skin reacts to the makeup this way because I would get so many compliments from people saying that I looked like a "porcelain doll" and that I had perfect skin. I guess i'll just have to keep searching for the perfect mineral makeup that doesn't cause acne.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2013 1:01:00 PM More reviews by ericasue000

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchased the BareMinerals Matte foundation powder in the shade "light" and it was very yellowy and too dark for my usually beige skin. After applying this product I could feel it on my face, it was very tight feeling. Like I could feel it sucking moisture out of my skin. I didn't use a primer though so use a primer with this for sure. I didn't see anything special with this foundation but I think I would have liked it had I had the right color and a good primer. It did give good coverage. (buildable coverage)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 9:04:00 PM More reviews by courtneyjunexo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I should probably start off this review with saying that my skin is not oily or dry, and I've never had acne so my take on this foundation will be different from others that do. I've been using this foundation for about 4 years now and it's AMAZING. I use the shade golden tan, which is perfect for my skin tone. It makes my skin glow, especially with the mineral veil on top, and in summer with the warmth. One thing I don't like is without primer it easily creases into my smile lines. But overall it is an amazing product and I will keep using it until I find something better(probably won't). It is a bit pricey, but one foundation lasts me at least a year because you only need a little bit of product. Another thing is when you're first purchasing, make sure you get the right color because there's a big variety, and if you have golden or yellow skin make sure you get one that says golden in the title, because others will make your face look pink.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2013 4:16:00 PM More reviews by Mom2Free

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this - I asked two girls in my office what kind of makeup they use and they both said this. Well, it may look great on them, but this just isn't for me.
The dealbreaker for me was that no matter how I applied it - it just settled into my laugh lines. I'd blot those lines away and then a few hours later, they would just reappear.
This also made me oilier than other mineral foundations I have tried. Maybe I would've liked the matte formula better...
Coverage was good, although I felt it always sat on the top of my skin and it was overall harder to blend than others.
This is probably a better fit for those with dry or even normal skin. I just couldn't get it to work on my oily complexion. My skin is acne prone though, and this did not break me out.
For reference, the other mineral foundations I have tried - Neutrogena Sheer Minerals, Signature Minerals, Meow Cosmetics, Everyday Minerals, Lucy Minerals, and Lumiere Cosmetics.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2013 4:51:00 PM More reviews by JuliaGhostX3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's a good product, and I certainly understand how others would love it so much, but it just isn't for me. I have combination skin, and it could be the way I apply, but sometimes I just feel gross and cakey with it on. It is nice though, and the colour medium tan matches me perfectly. (In the winter!)

rated 2 of 5 on 12/11/2012 5:21:00 PM More reviews by nlavallo

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I really wanted to love this product. I have tried it several times but have the following issues:

Color....even the lightest shade makes my face look dirty. I have only found one foundation that works for me without having this issue and this is NOT it!

I don't get a glow....No matter how much I buff, the sheen is flat and dull.

Flaky and makes fine lines look like deep wrinkles....Again, no matter how much I buff and how much I moisturize, my fine lines look like deep crevices.

This is a no go for me..... :(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2012 5:54:00 PM More reviews by notme092

This is my HG foundation! I have used so many foundations before but I feel like this is my #1. I have dry, sensitive, and acne-prone skin with some scarring so I can't use anything too drying. Also, foundations tend to break me out a lot but this doesn't. I love the shades as well too (mine is fair) and its not too expensive and lasts me a long time

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2012 2:03:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Having tried a number of high end foundations (MAC Beauty Balm, MAC Studio Sculpt, MAC Studio Fix Fluid, MAC Mineralize Cream, MAC Studio Tech Cream, MUFE Mat Velvet, BE Original, MUFE HD, DiorSkin Extreme Wear, Bobbi Brown Skin liquid and cream compact), and drug store foundations (Meow Mineral, Revlon Colorstay, Revlon PhotoReady liquid and compact, Cover Girl Simply Ageless, L’Oreal True Match liquid and cream compact, EDM, Alima Mineral), this foundation stands out in a positive way. I have worn it off and on for years. But it is not my HG.

I have combination skin, and don't like to have too many layers (moisturizer, sunscreen, primer, foundation) on my face, so I love it when my primer/foundation combinations accomplish these goals:
1) Sophisticated Formula: a light-weight formula that feels nice on my face and isn’t cakey, oily, or highlighting dry patches;
2) Adjustable Coverage: a light-to-medium coverage foundation that can be built up enough to cover under eye circles and acne scarring (eliminates the need for concealer);
3) Low Maintenance: has enough oil-control for my T-zone, lasts throughout the day without the need for serious touch ups, and doesn’t transfer;
4) Ideal Color: product line has a shade that is as close to a perfect color match on my skin as possible;
5) Skin Care: cannot break me out or change my skin condition (make more dry/oily) over weeks of continual wear.
6) Thoughtful Packaging: packaging cannot be difficult to travel with, create a mess on my counter, or be wasteful of the product.
*Bonus points for high levels of sunscreen.

How did this foundation measure up?
1) Sophisticated Formula: (YES) I love BE Original for its light-weight formula and the satin finish it gives, especially when applied with a silicone-based primer and/or MAC Fix+ spray on your brush. This is probably one of the lightest feeling foundations I’ve tried.
2) Adjustable Coverage: (YES) I also love how I can build the coverage up, especially when applied wet with MAC Fix+ spray, and don’t need concealer for my under eye circles and acne scars.
3) Low Maintenance: (OK) Without a primer, this foundation did get oily around my T-Zone after about 6-8 hours. Did get cakey when I touched it up. With a primer, it got oily after 10+ hours. Therefore, I would not call this a long-wear foundation for those with combination or oily skin. But looked good for most of the day. Would need to wash face and reapply for an evening event.
4) Ideal Color: (NO) I wore Golden Light for a year, and tried Fairly Light. Similar matching issues as with MAC foundations, too pigmented in color and shades too dramatic to look natural. Golden Light looks very pale and slightly yellow on my skin, but Fairly Light is too NW15 peach/orange/pink/cheese colored for my neck. I would say Golden Light is the best match, but does not look natural. Fairly Light looked nice after I have had a spray tan.
5) Skin Care: (NO) Had out-of-the-ordinary cystic acne break outs from time to time while wearing this.
6) Thoughtful Packaging: (OK) Loose powder is just messy and undesirable, but at least they include a sifter with a lock.
*Sunscreen: spf15, which is not very much IMO, considering you are trying to go as light as possible with how much you apply.

Bottom Line: I really like the BE formula. Will keep a little bit of Fairly Light around for summer vacations for when I am tanner and want a natural look. But it is not my HG because it does not wear all day on my combination skin, does not have a good color match, and does break me out from time to time.