Essie Matte About You

4.4

Ehtyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Trimethyl Pentanyl Dissobutyrate, Silica, Adipic Acid/neopnetyl Glycol/trimllitic Anhydride Copolymer, Isopropyl Alcohol, Stearalkonum Hectorite, Citric Acid.

by far the best matte top coat i have ever used (okay, i haven't tried many, but still!). it goes on evenly without streaks and leaves a smooth matte finish.

try it over a glitter polish or a holo-effect polish. it looks really cool!

on 1/25/2013 11:22:00 PM

I like this polish because it allows me to wear all my other polishes two different ways without having to purchase the matte version of those colors. I did find that it darkens the color of whatever polish you are putting it over. I've heard of other matte topcoats doing the same thing, however. This is actually good with some colors where I find that the darker shade looks better on me and thus end up wearing it more often than I did before. I also don't find matte topcoats to be as protective against chipping as glossy topcoats. I solved this problem by applying a layer of glossy topcoat under the matte topcoat. I find the effect to be the same as having only the matte topcoat.

on 1/2/2013 11:47:00 PM

I love this matte top coat. You don't need to buy separate matte nail polishes when you can have a top coat do the job! The drying time is pretty fast with this one. I wore my nails a matte black and got so many compliments!! I totally would recommend this product to anyone who doesn't want to buy separate matte nail polishes for every occasion.

on 12/28/2012 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

A very good, effective matte top coat that does what it's meant to do. Put a coat of this over any polish, and instantly make it matte. This is my favourite matte top coat, and I've worn many. The finish isn't waxy or semi-gloss or satin or plasticky like many so-called matte top coats. It's actually a nice, muted, velvety matte.

Not all polishes will look that great with a matte finish, but enough do that you can really extend your polish wardrobe. It's also very nice for adding texture to a basic manicure, such as matte nails with glossy tips.

Also good to have on hand for actual matte polishes, which have a reputation for not lasting long (although I don't have many problems if I just use a decent base coat). A coat of this will add a layer of protection without ruining the matte finish, although I've found that matte top coat is not as strongly protective as shiny top coat. It does help, though.

Also note that the lasting power of the matte effect is variable when you put this over a shiny polish. The tips tend to wear to a smoother, more satiny finish fairly quickly for me (doesn't matter if my nails are long or quite short, either, which surprised me). You may need to reapply after a couple of days if you want to keep the fully matte look going, but I think it can be kind of interesting to have the tips start to get shiny, a sort of textured/gloss ombre effect (well, it works for some manicures, anyway).

Have purchased and repurchased this, and I expect to keep right on purchasing it. :)

Love this. It make my nails very matte. I have very strict nail guidelines at my work, so I love that I can use this on top of more neutral or classic colors to make them more interesting or trendy. It dries quickly and the matte is very flat unless I miss a spot. I would say I normally need to reapply after 4 days, unless it chipped sooner. Washing my hands or getting them wet, soapy, or even lotiony or oily seems to have little effect. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to do patterns on my nails that are part matte, part glossy, for a very subtle look. If you're looking for somewhere that has it in stock, find a friend with a cosmetologist licsense to take you to a beauty supply shop; my local supply has had it in stock at $5.

on 10/8/2012 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

this is a great product and does what it claims. it makes matte any polish. i prefer a small brush for precision especially on my toes. my issues is that i realized i'm not a matte girl. i like shine so i returned this and indicated that i won't buy it again but if you like matte this one is a winner!

on 9/22/2012 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is worlds better than OPI for Sephora mattifying top coat. Out of all the matte finishes I've tried, this one gives the flattest look and resists oil absorption (though I recommend reapplying every couple days). It also dries incredibly fast-- even faster than Essie Good to Go! 30 mins after I applied it and it was barely dentable; after 45 it was completely dry. It applies smoothly.
Matte polishes by nature are easier to scratch when dragged across a surface so you do have to be mindful. Overall, it gives an extremely matte effect and lasts longer than other matter polishes I've tried, so I'd definitely buy this again.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I LOVED this matte finish nail polish. It left my nails with no shine at all, and a perfect matte finish. Exactly what I wanted! I had originally bought the OPI nail envy matte coat ($17 at ULTA), but it still left my nail a tiny bit shiny. This stuff is the best and I got it for only $5 at this little neighborhood nail store today. I love it! Definitely recommend if you want a true matte finish. And it dries ridiculously fast!

on 4/2/2012 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I never jumped on the matte nail look when it first came out. I didnít like the way it dulled polish. Last week while getting a manicure, my manicurist used Matte About You on my nails. I loved the end result. On top of Essieís Sugar Daddy, Matte About You made my nails look clean, well-groomed and healthy looking. I couldnít stop staring at them. It dries so fast, too. After five minutes I was good to go. Love that in a topcoat. I went out and got my own bottle and let me tell you, that was a task itself as it was sold out everywhere. I can see how this one topcoat will double your polish collection since it changes the way a polish looks. Iíve only used it with a sheer polish and my manicure lasted three days before I noticed the finish was getting shiny. I think Iíll blow through this bottle .

on 3/31/2012 2:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This dries SO QUICKLY! I just don't understand, it is ridiculously fast drying.
As well as that, as the name suggests, it makes your NP matte. One coat and it works great. What else is there to say?
Wish Essie would get wider brushes like OPI though...

Top Rated Essie Products