December 22, 2014 | 1605 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2014 4:04:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Sheer Glow is a bit of a weird product for me. It's been in my foundation rotation for the last four years or so. Initially, I didn't care for it much but I always come back to it. I suppose that's because in comparison to the other foundations I have at the present, Sheer Glow seems to be the best.

The SA at Sephora did a fantastic job of picking out a shade for me. The shade I've been wearing for years is Stomboli. The shade is actually a perfect match. I've even worn it when I've gotten a little darker in the summer months and it still looks fine. Coverage is pretty good as well. I generally like sheer to medium coverage as anything heavier looks cakey and settles into the weirdest places. It won't completely erase flaws and does very little to cover my purple undereye circles but I think it does an excellent job of evening out my complexion and making me pretty close to having excellent skin. As for the "glow" aspect, I really can't tell. There's no glitter or sparkly bits which I appreciate. I just tend to lean more towards any product that proclaims to be glow-y because even though my skin is naturally tan, I still tend to look sickly without foundation. If you're looking for something that really imparts a glow, I wouldn't recommend this. I think the staying power is also pretty good. I use MAC Prep and Prime primer under this which helps but I've often worn it without primer and the staying power is still great. I also haven't experienced any breakouts using this.

While I do like this foundation, there are some downsides. First, the price. This is $60 which can make you whince but it does last quite a while as only a small amount is needed. As stated, I tend to rotate my makeup out of boredom so my last bottle lasted a good two years. It never broke down, began oxidizing or grew stinky either. Second, this comes in a glass bottle without a pump. That was one of the reasons it initially irritated me because dealing with no pump foundations just gives me the blues. It's one extra step I don't need plus, the mouth of the bottle always gets cakey and covered with product. In fact, the top I had on the last bottle ended up cracking. I don't know if this has always been the case but a few months back, I discovered that NARS sells a pump for this for $6. Sephora is always seemingly out of them but I got lucky and got the last one about six months ago. Having this foundation in pump form makes all the difference to me. It's a bit annoying to pay extra for the pump considering the already high price point but thems the breaks.

Overall, this is a decent foundation. It's pricey and the bottle is a pain without the pump but I think it's a sound investment.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2014 4:21:00 PM More reviews by Magdilline

I purchased this foundation to prepare for my wedding makeup. This foundation does not have and SPF and will photograph nicely.I purchased the color Punjab and Ceylan. Punjab is a peachy tan for light-medium skin tone and Ceylan is yellow based similar to nc20 in Mac studio fix fluid. I purchased 2 colors to mix for my perfect shade. I am fair in the winter and tan in the summer. And I wanted to mix my custom shade for my summer wedding. I have worn this foundation for a little over a week to see how it matched, wears, and looks on my skin.
Application: I do not use a primer, I applied the foundation with a damp beauty blender or a stippling brush. I used ambient lighting powder to set. Then spray with fix+ to enhance the glow!
We will start with the cons: on my normal skin this foundation oxidized a bit. In purchasing this foundation I would recommend going a shade lighter. The other con is the packaging. This foundation does not come with a pump, I did purchase my separately from the Nars sight. The bottle can get messy fast without a pump.
On to the pros: once this foundation sets it looks flawless. I mean flawless! This did not enhance my large pores, acne scares, and so on. This evened out my completion and it looked beautiful. Once it sets it is a satin finish. I was able to get 6-8 hours wear before it started to wear off. The shade range it amazing as well.
I would defiantly repurchase this foundation. I recommend for everyone to get a sample and try it out. This may not be a long wearing foundation for combo-oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2014 4:10:00 AM More reviews by Claire2612

I love this product. As other reviewers have mentioned it is sheer to medium, but it is buildable and if I want fuller coverage I simply do two layers. I find a makeup brush really effective as well as the Beauty Blender, both give slightly different finishes but beautiful either way. The Beauty Blender sheers it out more but leaves the skin slightly dewy...also I love to wear a liquid highlighter underneath which really enhances the "glow" to the foundation. I also love the colour range. Even though you have to buy a separate pump for the bottle, it is worth it, and I like that you at least have the option even if it costs extra :)
I am onto my second bottle and I would happily repurchase. It is not my HG foundation, but I don't think I would ever not have this in my makeup collection.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2014 10:37:00 PM More reviews by cadeyduck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The finish of this is amazing, it makes your skin look glowy and perfect. But as the name suggests-it is sheer. If my skin is acting up and the coverage of this isn't enough, I'll put on another foundation and then use this sort of like a highlighter and it makes my skin look actually perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by iest

I have been using this foundation for about 5 months and I can say that I would recommend this to everyone!

If you have oily skin and prefer a matte finish, don't let the name fool you! At first I was a little apprehensive on buying this product because I love having a matte finish. So I first bought the SHEER MATTE foundation by Nars. (I wouldn't recommend that foundation to anyone, it was horrible). So I returned it, and thought, "hey, why not give this one [sheer glow] a go, I've heard great things about it," And I'm so happy I did.
I have combination skin, but its mainly oily. I find that this product holds up and stays in place for the whole day. This foundation keeps me more matte than any other foundation that has promised to keep me "matte and shine free" (all have failed).
I do have some dry patches, and this foundation does an incredible job on not making my dry patches visible and it did not break me out in any way!

The coverage for this foundation is great. What I love about it, is that I can give myself a super light, natural look, while still covering imperfections, and I can give myself high coverage without looking cakey and gross.

This foundation does not come with a pump, but you can buy one for $6 at Nars counters, (my local Sephora doesn't carry pumps in store)

Bottom line is that this foundation is amazing, the price you pay is well worth the quality of the product!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by Ragdoll87

I've been using this product for a week now everyday. I love this foundation. it gives beautiful coverage, the color matches perfectly, and the best part is, it stays. I set this with MAC fix+, and it stays. I can wipe my face, rub it, whatever, and get none on my hand or napkin. it feels nice on my skin, but I will say when you first put it on, it feels like it sets there. kinds pike it takes a second to absorb into your skin. overall I really like this foundation. definitely worth picking up.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2014 8:29:00 PM More reviews by TattooedPrncsz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I recently came back from Jamaica and I needed a new foundation as my regular foundation was a little pale. I was also looking for something new as my foundation (Lacnome Teint Idol 24h) was getting boring to use. I have minor breakouts and some minor ice pick scarring. My major problem is my skin has awfully dark hyperpigmentation from post break outs for my skin tone and it lasts FOREVER. I have normal skin but with the cold weather my skin tends to lean drier then normal. I use shade Santa Fe.

I have been toying with buying this foundation for months and months. The name "sheer glow" was what held me back; If that is your problem do not be afraid of this foundation. It has medium-semi-full coverage depending on application method. I use my damp BB or my Sigma F82. I can't stop raving about this foundation. I have been wearing it awhile and it has caused no break outs so far. The produt itself is very fluid; I am used to thicker foundations so applying this was a little hard for me at first, but I find it blends easily and I generally only need 1 coat. Drying time isn't awfuly long and when it sets it becomes a glowy, sexy, realistic second skin. I top this when it sets with the new NARS Luminous powder foundation and I look amazing. This has great staying power and the glow does not turn oily for me at all during the day.

There is 1 fl oz and I paid $45. Price is never a factor in my reviews because I generally wear higher end cosmetics and I expect to pay for a good product, this foundation delivers for the cost. It comes with the standard NARS packaging, Classic and modern with an expensive feel in a glass jar. There is no pump; you can buy it seperate. I travel often so I prefer no pump. Overall this is a great foundation; I can see this working for many people. If your looking to try your first higher end foundation, I'd start here. It would have saved me a lot of time and money; I have found my new HG liquid foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by makeuplover1994

This was one of my first higher end foundations that I ended up purchasing after hearing all of the hype. I normally don't wear a lot of face makeup since I prefer to let my skin breathe instead of covering it in a lot of foundation on a daily basis.
This is the perfect foundation for my normal-combination skin. I am an NC25 in MAC most of the year and I wear the shade Light 5 - Fiji. In the summer I get up to NC30 and I can still wear this shade, however I do have to use a bit of bronzer in order to make this match to the rest of my body.
This gives medium coverage and has a natural finish which needs to be set with powder if you want this to last all day (or night) without getting shiny. I love this for when I'm going out since it has no flashback due to the lack of SPF.
If you've been thinking about getting this foundation I would highly recommend it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2014 3:46:00 PM More reviews by liz48170

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have mixed feelings about this foundation. While it is HE, it is packaged poorly. I have not tried drugstore foundations to compare but I may give it try as I have yet to find a holy grail HE foundation.

I think the results of your foundation highly depends on how you prep your skin and how much you use (application). I have included a long winded recipe on my "MAGIC FACIAL GLOW CREAM" my own creation dupe of the Famous MUA Charlotte Tilbury cream that is outrageously priced but makes cheap foundation look great.

First, I do not wear foundation daily. I have dry skin that I keep hydrated with my magic GOOP, and often will wear this only on my skin, with a bit of concealer.

When I am going out, night typically, I wear foundation all over my face blending to ears down neck

Now for right now - the PROS for the NARS Sheer Glow outweigh the cons; it is not holy grail so I continue to sample others

I also created my own MAGIC GLOW CREAM (dupe of famous MUA Charlotte Tilbury) to use under this foundation. Without the MAGIC GLOW CREAM it looks dull ....

PROS:
Mount Blanc is a perfect match for my skin tone - a HUGE bonus
NARS Vanilla Concealer are spot on and it stays true to color - a HUGE bonus
Requires no setting powder (I have dry skin and do not want powder)
Dried to a satin Matt finish (no glow without the Magic Cream though)
Spreads lovely with fingers warmed up no brush required (too rough on skin)
Liquid is thin; I like a very thin foundation (NOT SHEER)
Medium coverage; can be built up in problem areas
Doesn't seem to transfer but I do not wear it all the time so don't know longevity
Glides on skin
Looks gorgeous if I use my own GOOP skin prep
DOES NOT DRY OUT MY SKIN if I prep my skin (see below)

CONS
Requires my own GOOP skin prep as do all foundations
Packaging is horrid
Heavy glass bottles looks messy and is heavy
Can't travel with this heavy glass jar
Glass reminds me of drugstore Cover Girl glass container foundations
No pump? They should package like the other HE foundations
Takes longer time to prep my skin for this foundation to prep my skin (READ BELOW)
Using this takes more time than a light BB cream or MAC Face & Body

TO PREP MY SKIN:
I make sure my skin is exfoliated (baking soda if needed - gentle)
I often lightly exfoliate at night - LIGHTLY with baking soda nothing rough

MY MAGIC GLOW (Charlote Tilbury DUPE)
I make my own Magic Face Glow (GOOP) like MUA Charlotte Tilbury
My own Magic Facial Glow (GOOP) MIX recipe is shown below
This is the key to your make up foundation looking good I am sure
I slap it on and let it soak, up to 10 minutes

GOOP MIX Recipe

FOR DRY OR AGING SKIN -
Carrier cream (Cere Ve, Burts Bees, whatever you like will work)
Oils add Aloe Vera Pure, Rose Hip Argan, Jojob
Hyaluronic Acid key to locking moisture to your skin - MUST HAVE
Becca Skin Perfecting Illuminator or other luminizer

FOR OILY SKIN THAT BREAKS OUT (Acne)
Oil Free Carrier Cream
Aloe Vera Pure (this can be used right on your skin to control outbreaks)
Jojoba Oil (this controls sebum and can be used right on your skin to control oil)
Hyaluronic Acid to lock in moisture - if you have oily skin or acne you still needs moisture
Becca Skin Perfecting Illuminator or other luminizer

I take a glop of my cream mixed with oils
I add in a half pump of Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal as I am fair

- Warmer skin may like the gold
- Sallow skin may like the Rose gold
- Dark skin may like the Bonze Color

WHAT INGREDIENTS AND WHERE TO BUY FOR YOUR OWN GOOP:

FACIAL OILS - all oils need to be fresh, good for 6 mo* then I use as a body oil

I buy from reputable retailers of specialty oil on EBAY or ETSY - not in stores as you want FRESH product that has not been so refined and filled with fragrance

*Aloe Vera may last much longer
*Jojoba oil has no expiration date

I buy my face oil from reputable shop on Etsy (sometimes EBAY)

Face Oil must be fresh; good for 6 mo then use remaining oil for body

THE KEY PRODUCT
Hyaluronic Acid

I buy one 32 oz every year from

I also use this right on my face and body after washing while skin is damp, and always mix with body cream

This ingredient is found in HE beauty moisturizing creams - and you can make your own and save a ton of money

rated 3 of 5 on 11/10/2014 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Beccask

This foundation is extremely confusing. My friend who has normal to dry skin recommended this to me, even though I have combination to oily skin. When I first applied this I loved it. More than any foundation I have ever used. More than makeup forever, Laura mercier, urban decay. It made my skin completely flawless. But thought the day. Around my nose and between my eyebrows I literally saw the foundation sliding off. It looked like I had orange liquid on my face. I thought if I just really set it with a powder it should be okay, and that somewhat helps( I use the makeup forever setting powder). I also figured this is probably a lot better for people with dry skin. But I notice that when I have dry flakey spots, usually on the top of my nose or just where I had a previous pimple, it cakes around it. So just remember to exfoliate or moisturize well. The reason j give this a 3 is because it really is the best foundation I have found so far, but I am still on my hunt. Just know that you MUST set this foundation in your oily spots and you must really moisturize your dry spots if you want the full benefit of this foundation.