December 20, 2014 | 1690 users online

Pressed Powders - E.L.F. - Complexion Perfection

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 6/22/2012 5:37:00 PM More reviews by Hayxoh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I hate this. Too sheer, can't use, don't buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2012 3:49:00 AM More reviews by luvmakeup92

I love this ! this product really helped me out because I have dark circles and once I use the yellow it helps to brighten up the dark circles

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2012 11:21:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

ELF's Tone Correcting Powder, formerly known as Complexion Perfection (which I still call it), is a pressed powder that comes with 4 color correcting shades. This corrective powder is available in both warm and cool versions. ELF promises that this powder will "create a balanced and radiant complexion that is beautiful and healthy". The "lightweight formula evens out skin tone and absorbs excess oil while the sheer formula brightens, mattes, and neutralizes the skin". Like all ELF products, this powder is cruelty free, vegan, and made in China. This powder sells for $3 for 13.5g of product, a sweet deal in my opinion. ELF is available online, or IRL at Target, Kmart, Big Lots, and occasionally Walmart and dollar stores.
ELF's Tone Correcting Powder comes in a black box with a picture of the product on the front. The back lists ELF's claims for this product, directions, and a full ingredient list. The packaging for the product it's self is a black, hard plastic compact somewhat reminiscent of Nar's packaging, but not rubberized. It feels pretty sturdy but looks kinda plain, but I'll take function over looks in most cases. One thing I don't like is how smudgy and finger print-y this compact gets. Unattractive, though I suppose its partially my fault as well. Opening up the compact obviously reveals the product, as well as a very nice sized mirror. The mirror gets pretty messy from the residual powder, but that's to be expected, and is super easy to solve. Really there isn't much more to say about this product's packaging. It's basic and functional and not an eyesore, so it's good enough for me.
The product looks kinda pretty in the pan. Four pastel colors, blue, pink, green, and yellow, each in a square. This is a very soft pressed powder with a silky, ever so slightly powdery finish. It's quite fragile, and breaks easily once you hit pan. So what are the four colors for and what do you do with them? The blue neutralizes orange spots, green neutralizes redness, yellow counteracts blues and brightens, as does the pink, which ELF also says counteracts greyness. How do you utilize all the effects of this powder? The first, more useful option is to swirl them all together, and brush all over the face to set your foundation and/or concealer with. As a setting powder, this works pretty fantastically. It really gives me a finished, perfected look, with little to no powderiness. Some people with darker skin say that Complexion Perfection gives them a white cast, that's probably why they came out with a darker, warm toned version.
Another use would be using the individual shades to color correct where needed, such as using the green on your little red nose. It doesn't work super well to be honest, but it can't hurt to try and see if it will work for you. I must also mention that I really advise against using this powder on it's own. It will make you look pretty powdery, which is weird because that's the opposite effect it has when applied over foundation.
I don't really have any wear time issues with ELF's complexion perfection and never touch it up during the day. On the subject of touching up, be aware that this product doesn't come with a puff or applicator, and should probably not be used with one. Do remember to bring a brush with you if you plan on touching up during the day, even though that seems super inconvenient to me.
A downfall of ELF's Complexion Perfection is how quickly you hit pan. It's a matter of weeks before you start seeing little bits of the pan peeking through. I'm half way through my third pan. I've been using this product intermittently for the last year and a half. Do you go through pressed powder that fast? Especially when you don't use it every day. I've had my Avon Personal Match Pressed Powder for about 3 years now and I still have a good bit left, and I feel like I use more of it than I use this one. I feel like I use just a bit of Complexion Perfection each time I use it, which is what makes this doubly strange. Maybe it's just me.
I think it's safe to assume that if I'm on my third pan of ELF's Tone Correcting Powder, that I really like it. A lot. I love the finish I get from this powder. I wish it was still called Complexion Complexion, because that's what I feel like that's the kind of effect it gives. The packaging is pretty good, it's plain and functional, and I really like the size and clarity of the mirror that comes in it. For $3 I don't think it'd do you harm to try out this great pressed powder. In my opinion it's one of ELF's best products, and a product I'll continue to repurchase.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2012 1:18:00 AM More reviews by robinstone31

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product. I apply with it a big, fluffy brush after my foundation and concealer. It sets my face makeup and creates an even canvas. I'm also less shiny at day's end then before. I love the packaging and the mirror is worth the money itself. I'm reordering this as well as the warm option.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/26/2012 6:22:00 PM More reviews by plasticbambi

I'm so unsure about this product. I use it after moisturizing and priming it does offset redness but it leaves a slightly chalky affect and you definitely have to cover with concealer afterwards. I'd like this more if that chalky coverage wasn't so bad and if it covered better. It's 3 bucks though so it's not big deal. Probably won't buy again though

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2012 9:49:00 AM More reviews by Ticamorena

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have NO idea what this product actually is, but it WORKS. I put it on after moisturising but before concealer/foundation. I have sometimes just worn it on its own. It balances out shininess, tonal imperfections/variations, redness, everything. And it's so light on the skin. But as to what it's made of and how the colours work and the technicalities, this is still a total mystery! My favourite ELF product by a long shot!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2012 11:40:00 PM More reviews by scooucha24

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is definitely a staple in my makeup routine. I have extreme redness in between my eyebrows, under my nose, on my chin, and on small portions of my cheeks. I mainly use the green, but I also use the yellow and blue a lot, but rarely the pink. No, this won't completely mask any imperfections, but it covers up well what shows through my foundation. It lasts me a few months (it would probably last most people longer, i just use a lot) and the price is so cheap! Can't beat only $3 for a product that really does its job!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2012 2:54:00 PM More reviews by AndreaMCA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Using this under my foundation to cover all my redness really works! I have a little rosocea on my cheek area that sometimes foundation doesn't even cover but when I use this it works great and just makes all my foundations go on flawless. I also use this daily and will never go without it. Great product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2012 5:18:00 PM More reviews by mooshrimp

Total HG. I use this daily, no matter what else I'm wearing. I'm surprised at the bad reviews! I have VERY ruddy skin on my cheeks. It's so red that I've had people ask me how I got burned in that pattern, tell me I need to eat more vegetables, etc.. etc... it's very embarrassing. For awhile I was using Physician's Formula Talc-free green powder and it is more effective than this at concealing redness. BUT it does make me look a little ghostly and I have to put some bronzer over it to even it out. I saw this on the E.L.F. website and threw it in at the last minute not expecting much. But WOW am I glad I did! I do need to use a fair amount of this to get the coverage I need, but at that price who cares? This completely covers my redness without sucking all the color out of my skin. I just love this stuff. At first I only used the yellow and green side, but then I started using the whole palette and that makes it look far nicer. I am definitely stocking up on this in case they ever (stupidly) discontinue it. My face looks totally flawless and I don't need to wear any foundation. I love it!

This is not a do it all product (I'd assume nothing is). It's not a pressed powder for oil control, it is not a shimmer or a highlight or for contouring, its only purpose is "tone correcting." If you have sallow skin or ruddy skin, this will work to correct that. But it is a base, not a finisher. Even with my 5 star review I still put on blush and highlighter and bronzer and concealer over it. I also sometimes put that Physician's Formula under it on particularly red areas.

Also the packaging on this is great. It feels very sturdy and the mirror is HUGE. It looks just like Nars blushes, only much larger.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2012 3:35:00 PM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

For me, this product is just ok. There's nothing special about it, but there is a few cons to it. I originally tried to use it set my foundation and help with any redness peeking through.. I ended up looking like a chalky ghost. The next day I used it under my foundation. When I applied it I swirled my brush around in all four colors and just applied it evenly. I did see some difference in the redness, but once again I looked ghostly. I figured since I hadn't put my foundation on yet that the ghostly look wouldn't stay. It did work better for me under my foundation but it only helped with redness. I didn't see anything being done about oil control & it also can really cake up. Even putting a small amount you can end up looking chalky and just plain white. After each time I've used this I've gotten a pimple or a few & it's always after using this so I know that's what's causing it. I honestly only like the fact that it does help with my very dark red acne scaring, but that's about it.