December 19, 2014 | 794 users online

Lip Treatments - Urban Decay - Lip Primer Potion

rated 1 of 5 on 2/15/2011 1:39:00 PM More reviews by b3llav1ta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this as a part of the potion in a box. This lip primer doesn't do anything. It feels a bit drying. I rarely use lip primer, and been only using one other one besides UD's (Philosophy big mouth - but it has been discontinued). Between the two, I definitely liked Philosophy's better. I found UD's to be a bit drying, and I don't even have dry lips!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2011 2:36:00 AM More reviews by Indigirka

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

At first I wasn't sure about Primer Potion because it's chalky and hard to apply, I find SPF 15 in a lip product sorta unnecessary in winter and IMO you don't get a lot of the product for the price. But I wanted a lip primer with a thicker formula, one that didn't feel like a gloss like Too Faced's MAC's lip primers. Now I'm glad I purchased. It truly does seem to leave my lips in better condition, and lipstick looks awesome on top of it and lasts longer!

Edit: Mine has somehow become less dry and chalky, which is odd. Product still works well, but I definitely notice a change in its texture. Perhaps it goes bad easily and the tip had dried out since it was exposed longer (and the rest will eventually dry out), and perhaps it reacts easily to temperature changes and it's because the weather is warming up, but the application is much smoother now. Anyway, I don't think I will be repurchasing because you don't get much product for the $ you pay and I found a tip in a review here that Guerlain makes a much better lip primer for an only slightly higher price. And personally, lip primer is one of those "extra" products that can be dispensed with, but if I were to buy one again I'd try a different brand.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2010 2:09:00 PM More reviews by Phanatical28

My mom purchased this, and while I couldn't find my DuWop venom primer, I borrowed this. I find it to be nice and easy to apply without being overly drying or waxy. To me it has no taste as well. I can apply any lipstick over this and never have to worry about bleeding, feathering or fading, even with practically neon colors. It lasts and lasts, throughout drinking and mostly eating, unless I consciously wipe everything off. I like that it's a skinny little tube, so I can easily carry or travel with it. I find it to be softer than my DuWop primer as well, and nowhere near as dry (though I do love the cinnamon-y, clover-y taste of the DuWop). I would definitely purchase my own after I run out of hers - or she discovers I snuck it into my makeup bag!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2010 3:43:00 PM More reviews by jod84

i only got this today so i'm still testing it out (i will update about that) so far from what i can tell is this Primer don't go on smooth at all and it feels pretty drying and cakes up if too much product is used. it also as a nude skin tone tint to it but i'm ok with that. one more thing this Primer seems to tone down lipsticks and make them look pretty dull and it does highlight dry skin. i'm going to use burts bees under this and see if i can get this product to work for me

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2010 11:06:00 AM More reviews by Maudena

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this primer in June, and have been using it religiously since then. This brand was very new to me, I have never heard of it before the salesperson showed me this primer. I really really love it!! It makes any shade of lipstick (even the ones that I have banished for being too dark/bright) blend well and look nice - makes the colour look even. However, i find it doesn't work so well with lipgloss. Will definitely buy this again. And this primer open my eyes to the world of urban decay hehe

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2010 9:07:00 AM More reviews by Rachelesque

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a lipbalm like product in a petite hard case.

I say "lipbalm like" because it goes on sheer, and lipbalm is the closest thing to it, but it's much drier and a little stiffer than a lipbalm. The scent is a light cocoa butter + vanilla.

It seems to work by sucking up the oily parts of lipstick, which would explain why that one reviewer had trouble with wine, because (SCIENCE TIME) lipids and alcohol both have neutral polarity. The end result for your look is that it tends to make glosses creamier, creamy lipsticks matte, and frosted lipsticks disco ball sparkly, which is something to keep in mind if you are a fellow gloss devotée (or if you like matte lipsticks and/or disco balls, I guess). A major use issue is that it is not in any way greaseproof, so your lipstick will not last through dinner.

If you're not eating, though, it's a great item to keep in your bag for surprise meetings and other times when you know you can't sneak off to fix your face. I would like to say that it's not so great if you're mixing lipsticks directly on your face (the amount of product overwhelms the primer), and this holds true even if you layer it over, say, a colorstay base so you can mix it with a conventional lipstick.

I'm not sure if I will get this again, because the texture isn't so great, and the not-being-able-to-eat-or-drink thing is a deal-killer for me. I will definitely look around for something else when my tube runs low.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2010 2:00:00 AM More reviews by sweetshiningstar

I love Urban Decay's eye primer potion so I had high hopes for this.

It's drying, first of all. I didn't think so much of it at first, but it's dry when you apply it, you don't really know how much you're applying on your lips, and it's certainly not a miracle lipstick primer.

Also, you go through the tube pretty fast, not very long lasting.

If you can get over the dryness, I guess it hold the lipstick onto your lip a little longer, but it does not prevent your lips from showing lines or cracks, or having a lipstick dry up on you.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2010 7:24:00 PM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an obvious attempt to trump Guerlain's infamous "LipLift." It fails miserably. I give it points for trying. Guerlain's Liplift is not that much more (another $11.00). This was far too waxy, drying, and uncomfortable to wear. Not only that, but it did next to nothing in terms of keeping my lipstick on the way Liplift does. Make no mistake, Liplift is also a bit drying, however it's not as drying as this product. This also doesn't cancel out as much pigment as Liplift does. This brought my lips down to a medium pink. Liplift cancels out most of your lips natural pigment, thereby allowing the color of whatever lipstick you're wearing, to be as true to form as possible. The pigment in our lips changes the color of the lipsticks we buy, often leading to disappointment for a great many lipstick buyers out there. If you cancel out all pigment (or most of it), you get the truer color of that lipstick. Guerlain's Liplift does this much better than Urban Decay's offering. This is not as creamy as Liplift either. This is extremely waxy (I could not wait to get this off of me). Gave me almost no lasting power either. Back to Sephora it goes.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2010 1:04:00 AM More reviews by kjmsmm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

While I feel this product does give my lipstick more staying power - I won't be re-purchasing this product. I found it to be very drying is it in turn made my lipsticks dry on my lips. It was uncomfortable, but did make the shade last longer.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2010 8:26:00 AM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this. I used Trish McEvoy's Flawless Lip primer before but it was more like a balm - it made lipstick look smooth but didn't make it last longer.

This primer definitely make my lip products stick onto my lips much longer. I use almost everyday. I agree it can get a waxy coating so I wipe it off occasionally. It also helps to warm it up (I just breathe on it or blast w/ a hairdryer for a second). The only time I don't use it is with lipstains; I find those need to be applied directly onto bare lips for teh best effect.

Would definitely repurchase.