October 31, 2014 | 1457 users online

Sunscreen - BurnOut Eco-Sensitive Clean and Clear Sunscreen SPF 30

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2012 9:21:00 AM More reviews by 131lindo

I have been using this for a week and I have to write a erview. For starters, I have horrible melasma which I treat with HQ, facial peels, and the Obagi skin line. I have had excellent results and wanted a sunscreen to help me protect what I have acheived using Obagi. THIS IS THE ONE!!! I have previously used sunscreens/sunblocks with 100 SPF, but they did not keep my melasma from returning. I am very dilgent about wearing sunscreen everyday...even when it rains.This has a 18.6% zinc oxide, dries clear and matte and does not have a funky smell. I will be heading to the beach in a couple of weeks and am intersted to see how well this works. So far, this is my HG daily sunscreen!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2012 7:03:00 PM More reviews by OPLALS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is the best sunscreen I've used. It seems to have a mattifying effect on me - yay! - whereas most sunscreens worsen my oily parts. It's true that it's a bit "tacky", but I'm not putting it on before I'm expecting a lot of face caressing, you know, and if you're wearing liquid foundation on top that's negated. Actually it makes a nice canvas for makeup. I don't notice a white cast. It's true that I'm very pale to begin with but other sunscreens (Eucerin) did give me a white cast. It gets a 2 (low hazard) from the Cosmetics Database.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 9:41:00 PM More reviews by cheetah7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have medium/dark skin and most of the high zinc, mineral only sunscreens I've tried were too greasy, pasty, streaky and always left a very visible white cast. I bought Burnout based on online reviews and minimal ingredients list and so far, this is the best one. The product comes in a blue and white 3.4oz tube with 18.6% zinc oxide as its active uv filter. I ordered it direct from the manufacturer's website and paid $17.99 plus s/h (free shipping for orders over $25). The consistency is almost like a lotion that's non greasy, dries to a matte finish and has very good oil control for my oily skin. Using the proper amount of 1/4 teaspoon for my face, it leaves a very minimal, almost no white cast which is surprising given the high zinc oxide content and my tan skin. I have been using this sunscreen for 2 weeks now and so far it hasn't made me breakout. Using the BASF ppd calculator, I got a ppd of 9.4 for this product so not as high as Euro ss but good enough for incidental sun exposure. I live in Hawaii and my skin tans easily but I get no color when wearing this outdoors. I took off one lippy: 1/2 for the tacky, rubbery feel on my skin and another 1/2 for the water resistant claim. The tacky feel doesn't seem to go away even after the product dries but since I don't wear foundation it's really not a problem. It's matte enough that I don't even have to powder over it. Although it says "water resistant" on the tube, I find it comes off quite easily when my skin gets wet from perspiration or when I get rained on. If you're looking for better water resistance, try Burnout's "Ocean Tested" version that comes in the yellow/orange tube instead. I use that for going to the beach and the Eco Sensitive for my face and neck during non beach and exercise days.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2011 7:15:00 PM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This worked fine on my body but I ventured to try it on my face and for me = big mistake. Literally instant cysts on my chin. Not sure if this was due to an allergic reaction or just clogging agents. Granted, my chin area is very clog prone but I have found products that work for me just not a sunscreen. It did not clog me elsewhere on my face at least, but remained very sticky. Minimal whitecast. The search continues. UPDATE: I wrote this review the same day I wore this stuff after I washed it off...woke up with even more cysts on my chin and sides of my face. Didn't change anything else in my routine but this. Don't make the same mistake as me and patch test!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2011 6:20:00 PM More reviews by blueskies

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

For most of this summer (after my disastrous adventure with Cliniderm sunscreen) this was my go-to sunscreen. I am on my second tube of this so I feel it is time for me to review it. What first drew me to this product: 100% mineral protection, minimal ingredients, and positive reviews on MUA. Overall I am satisfied with this ss and would buy again. It is effective at protecting from the sun and quite sweat proof except under extreme conditions (the only time I got some color despite wearing this was during a long hike under a brutal sun). It is gentle and I never got any irritation from it. It leaves a bit of a white cast, but nothing unacceptable for me (it might be a problem for someone with a darker complexion though). Finally, it is fairly matte. The one thing I don't like about it is that you constantly feel it on your skin, and it is quite sticky. Sticky as in.. if the wind blows some dust on your face it will stick to it! While I didn't at first, now I always wear some powder over this to neutralize the stickiness. In conclusion, this is not *the* perfect sunscreen, but given that such a thing probably doesn't exist, this might be the next best thing.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/18/2011 8:57:00 PM More reviews by justbeinghonest

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

Me: very fair, dry, mild Rosacea, dermatitis prone skin.

Unfortunately this sunscreen was an awful mess for me. It dried out my skin horribly, even with serum underneath. It also caused foundation (MUFE F&B) to cake and apply unevenly. I ended up tossing this after a week of trying to make it work.

The only pro is that it did not cause any additional redness/irritation.

I'll stick with my Elta.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really love this product. It's the best all-zinc oxide sunscreen that I've found. It provides good protection with 18.6% zinc oxide, but it has a nice texture and doesn't leave a white cast. It's so good that it almost makes a good facial sunscreen, but alas, it just doesn't quite work on my combination skin. I find it to be a bit drying while also being slightly sticky. It was fine to use in the winter (with a moisturizer underneath), but I can't begin to wear it during the hot, humid summer. But I will continue to use it as my favorite body sunscreen and on my face when using a water-resistant sunscreen is important (e.g. at the beach). And I love this as a very safe sunscreen for my infant son. But for my daily face sunscreen, I've returned to using Elta MD Clear SPF 46.

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 18.6%.

Other Ingredients: Deionized Water, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides, Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitol, Imperata Cylindrica Root Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Lecithin, Arabidopsis Extract, Plankton Extract, Aloe Vera, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Citric Acid.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2011 9:43:00 AM More reviews by Jmberry

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a very good zinc oxide sunscreen that in general I liked. However, I wouldn't repurchase it. I was looking for a sunscreen for daily use and really hoped this would be it as my skin loves zinc. It looks very thick and white but absorbs quickly and left a minimal white cast (I am pretty fair though). I have not burned or gotten any color as long as I apply the recommended 1/2 teaspoon for face and neck. It also has a good matte finish. My problem with this is that I find it impossible to apply foundation afterwards. I have both a liquid and a cream formula that I rotate between and due to the sticky feeling Burnout leaves behind neither of my foundations will spread over it. So it's out for me for daily work week use. I use it on the weekends when I'm hanging outside with my son or at the lake and not concerned about makeup. But I would not repurchase to use on that basis due to higher cost (than drugstore anyway) and having to order it online. Good product, just not perfect for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2011 2:09:00 PM More reviews by cubancurls

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I received my little samples of this yesterday and just tried it out.

If I had never tried out Sofina SS I would think this was the best SS in the world. But Sofina/japanese SS have ruined me.

The C&C went on smooth and felt 'watery' on the skin. It dries very quickly so you have to apply fast. Immediately after application my skin felt rubbery. It was matte and not shiny or oily at all. After 5 minutes, my skin had a soft rubber feel. It left a very slight white cast as if I used a foundation just a bit too light for my skin.

It did NOT feel tight or tacky as many reviewers described BUT I live in the upper most penninsula of Michigan where even in the hotest day of summer it is dry as it is now so that may have something to do with it. Maybe in humid tempatures, it 'may' feel sticky.

I applied my Smashbox primer in bronze to soften it up and 'neutrelize' the white which it did a bit. (smashbox bronze primer is the best primer I have tried: it is NOT a bronzer, it leaves the skin extremely soft, ready for foundation though I never need it because it evens out skintone. It 'looks' like I'm wearing foundation because my skin is smooth and even. Read reveiws here and on sephora.)

Will I order this sunscreen? I'm actually indecisive between this and the Sofina Perfect White Protect. I have the Biore aqua rich watery essence for cloudy days or when I'll be indoors most if the day so I do want something a little stronger when I'm outdoors.

so, in conclusion, if you have no preference for the jap SS, then, IMO, this is the best most elegant zinc SS in the usa. If you're planing on using foundation over it, you may want to put down a primer first so the foundation spreads smoothly.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/6/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by rambow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This all-zinc sunscreen has a creamy texture, a semi-matte finish, and an initial white cast that seems to disappear after a minute or two. However, it does retain a somewhat tacky feel after applying, and can be difficult to put makeup on over it (at least Revlon Colorstay.) It has a very light, vaguely-pleasant "unscented" kind of scent which didn't remind me of sunscreen at all.

My skin is really sensitive these days from Retin-A, so this sunscreen stung on my face initally (as most of them do), but it quickly subsided and felt fine. It also doesn't feel drying to my face, though it did leave a strange, drying residue on my hands even after washing.

I would continue to wear this as a summer, at-the-beach sunscreen for face and perhaps body, due to its water resistance. But I would not find it pleasant enough to wear daily under makeup.

UPDATE: I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to this. It caused a bad rash on my neck and chest, and several cystic pimples on my face. Too bad, because I like the fact that it is matte and controls my oily skin well. My husband loves it for his rosacea, but I will never use it again.