April 20, 2014 | 1591 users online

Sunscreen - BurnOut Eco-Sensitive Clean and Clear Sunscreen SPF 30

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2011 9:43:00 AM More reviews by Jmberry

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a very good zinc oxide sunscreen that in general I liked. However, I wouldn't repurchase it. I was looking for a sunscreen for daily use and really hoped this would be it as my skin loves zinc. It looks very thick and white but absorbs quickly and left a minimal white cast (I am pretty fair though). I have not burned or gotten any color as long as I apply the recommended 1/2 teaspoon for face and neck. It also has a good matte finish. My problem with this is that I find it impossible to apply foundation afterwards. I have both a liquid and a cream formula that I rotate between and due to the sticky feeling Burnout leaves behind neither of my foundations will spread over it. So it's out for me for daily work week use. I use it on the weekends when I'm hanging outside with my son or at the lake and not concerned about makeup. But I would not repurchase to use on that basis due to higher cost (than drugstore anyway) and having to order it online. Good product, just not perfect for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2011 2:09:00 PM More reviews by cubancurls

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I received my little samples of this yesterday and just tried it out.

If I had never tried out Sofina SS I would think this was the best SS in the world. But Sofina/japanese SS have ruined me.

The C&C went on smooth and felt 'watery' on the skin. It dries very quickly so you have to apply fast. Immediately after application my skin felt rubbery. It was matte and not shiny or oily at all. After 5 minutes, my skin had a soft rubber feel. It left a very slight white cast as if I used a foundation just a bit too light for my skin.

It did NOT feel tight or tacky as many reviewers described BUT I live in the upper most penninsula of Michigan where even in the hotest day of summer it is dry as it is now so that may have something to do with it. Maybe in humid tempatures, it 'may' feel sticky.

I applied my Smashbox primer in bronze to soften it up and 'neutrelize' the white which it did a bit. (smashbox bronze primer is the best primer I have tried: it is NOT a bronzer, it leaves the skin extremely soft, ready for foundation though I never need it because it evens out skintone. It 'looks' like I'm wearing foundation because my skin is smooth and even. Read reveiws here and on sephora.)

Will I order this sunscreen? I'm actually indecisive between this and the Sofina Perfect White Protect. I have the Biore aqua rich watery essence for cloudy days or when I'll be indoors most if the day so I do want something a little stronger when I'm outdoors.

so, in conclusion, if you have no preference for the jap SS, then, IMO, this is the best most elegant zinc SS in the usa. If you're planing on using foundation over it, you may want to put down a primer first so the foundation spreads smoothly.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/6/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by rambow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This all-zinc sunscreen has a creamy texture, a semi-matte finish, and an initial white cast that seems to disappear after a minute or two. However, it does retain a somewhat tacky feel after applying, and can be difficult to put makeup on over it (at least Revlon Colorstay.) It has a very light, vaguely-pleasant "unscented" kind of scent which didn't remind me of sunscreen at all.

My skin is really sensitive these days from Retin-A, so this sunscreen stung on my face initally (as most of them do), but it quickly subsided and felt fine. It also doesn't feel drying to my face, though it did leave a strange, drying residue on my hands even after washing.

I would continue to wear this as a summer, at-the-beach sunscreen for face and perhaps body, due to its water resistance. But I would not find it pleasant enough to wear daily under makeup.

UPDATE: I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to this. It caused a bad rash on my neck and chest, and several cystic pimples on my face. Too bad, because I like the fact that it is matte and controls my oily skin well. My husband loves it for his rosacea, but I will never use it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2011 6:30:00 PM More reviews by Atrox

Really good at burn protection (Georgia summer tested), only the slightest white cast, really easy to rub in, good water/sweat resistance, but leaves a slightly sticky feeling on my skin. Best natural sunscreen with physical block that I have found so far, so I will keep using.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2011 7:27:00 PM More reviews by yankeesweetie35

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

(If I could I'd give this 4.5 lippies) This maybe my first ever HG! I've had issues with sunscreens for years. I have fair/light skin that's sensitive but also very oily and clog prone on the face.

PROS:
1) very safe: no chemical sunscreens-only physical. It's biodegradable, free of petroleum, PABA, and parabens. It's also loaded with antioxidants and oil-free.
2) no fragrance
3) sweat/water resistant
4) does not clog pores
5) primer-like effect for oily skin
6) protects!

CONS (all very minor):
1) VERY SLIGHT white tint at first but disappears after another 15 minutes & feels a little tacky to the touch but nothing crazy
2) drier skin may need to moisturize before this
3) Hard to find in stores and a little pricey

Despite a few minor complaints, this is an AMAZING sunscreen. Better than ANY I've ever tried.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2011 10:29:00 AM More reviews by jezseeca

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Phenomenal!!! Truly amazing on my skin. I am 30, but this is the FIRST time i've ever fallen in love with a sunblock. It is non-irritating, calming, and actually smoothing (it really perfects my skin and has a slight matting effect that i love!). All i need is concealer under my eyes and some blush and that's it. it really makes the make-up go on lovely. This is my HG product and all i wear underneath is my Philosophy turbo Vitamin C powder mixed with aloe vera gel. If you are dry (which i am not!) then u might need a more hydrating serum underneath. But for me, this is absolutely perfect. Also, my husband recently tried it (shock!) and he fell in love too, and asked if i could "leave it out so he could use it too!). Best stuff ever.

UPDATE: i am still loving this. still my total HG. i'm on my second tube of this, and i can HONESTLY say that my skintone has really evened out. it's amazing what a good sunblock can do. i don't even need foundation now (just concealer under eyes and in dark shadows around nose). also my skin seems firmer. it's remarkable how this both prevents skin damage and LETS your skin heal from previous damage. Also, i learned a very important tip for applying this sunscreen: make sure your face skin is totally DRY. if it is the least bit damp from washing or a shower, then the SS will go on thick and white and sticky. But if your skin is dry--then it will disappear completely and sink right in. it must be something due to how the molecules in it combine with the water? not sure. but i do know that i get excellent results when my face is dry. (i wait 5 min after a shower before i apply.) the lip balm is also fabulous.

UPDATE: now that i've gone through 2 tubes of this wonderful stuff, i sometimes find this a dab too drying. However, all i have to do is apply a tiny, dime-sized amount of moisturizer (i love the Merlot daytime one) underneath and presto! perfect combo. I think you will have to experiment like that depending on the level of hydration u need for your skin.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2011 3:49:00 PM More reviews by rayoflight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This currently a close second HG body sunscreen to Marie Veronique Organics Kids Safe Screen. In fact Burnout is nice enough to be used on face as well, but not as everyday sunscreen, it's a bit too sticky/tacky for that. Maybe dryer skins can get away with that. I do find it slightly white on skin, but nothing horrible and no goth/geisha look.
Haven't yet tested Burnout in heavy sun conditions, so it's hard to say how well it hold up to that, but so far it has protected me very well and kept me nice and pale. It adheres to skin nicely and it's moderately water/sweat resistant as well.
I like the simple ingredients, eco-friendliness and decent skin compatibility, works even on broken/damaged skin with very minor stinging/burning. Not good around my eyes though, a bit irritating and tends to migrate into eyes, causing them to itch and tear.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2011 9:49:00 AM More reviews by wildone

This product protects your skin very well from the sun. It doesnít have the sunscreen smell either which is good. I liked it a lot at first because it was not too whitening and the protection was great, but after a month of using it my pores started to get clogged. I have very clog prone skin though. It is also very drying if you don't wear a moisturizer underneath. It leaves a slight tacky/sticky feeling on your face, but that didnít bother me. It may also be difficult to wear makeup on top of this sunscreen. I bought one for my sister and she loves it, but I am still on the hunt for my perfect sunscreen.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've used Clarins UV PLus dayScreen SPF 40 for years, then I developed a gradual sensitivity to it. It started to irritate and burn my skin and regretfully I had to discontinue using it completely. So I began a long search for a new sunscreen. My skin is very sensitive, combination, pale, and intolerant of fragrances, botanicals, and heavy textures. I react fairly easily to so many products, so I have to be careful of what I try on my skin. I also dislike using anything other than a physical sunscreen, so that limited my search even further. I came across this sunscreen while researching online, and the ingredients seemed basic, so I ordered it from Amazon.

I'm used to the silky, fluid texture of the Clarins formula, which feels beautiful on skin and looks great under makeup. This sunscreen has a completely different feel, more substantial and dense. It looks like a thick white cream, but actually does have an emollient feel, and it's much lighter and thinner than I'd have guessed just by its appearance when I dispensed some onto the back of my hand.

I use slightly more than a pea size amount for my face, and apply immediately after applying my moisturizer, before my moisturizer has absorbed. It spreads easily that way. It doesn't have to be worked in too much, given the light consistency. But it can have a slight white case around my hairline if I don't blend it in well. So I definitely spend more time with this one than I would with a more cosmetically elegant formula. But the finish is nice and matte, and (after a bit of work) there's no white cast. My skin still feels like it can breathe, even though it is a bit heavier than I'm used to. My makeup still applies well and doesn't look thick or odd layered over this sunscreen.

No irritation or active breakouts. However, it does clog my pores somewhat if I'm not careful removing it at night. I found that out the hard way. I have to really work my cleanser into my skin, and use an oil based makeup remover on more areas of my face to make certain it's all removed. Also, it can be overly thick and drying if I use too much. There's a very fine line for my skin I've noticed when using this particular formula.

The upsides is that it's very gentle, it's effective, and I've never once had a burn. I use it on my neck, chest, and body too. It lasts throughout sweating when I workout, and doesn't sting my eyes at all. Easy to dispense tube with a nice snap-style lid. And I recently saw it at my local health food store, so repurchasing will be a breeze.

It's not the perfect sunscreen I was hoping to find, but it's the best so far and I do like it alot. I recommend this for anyone with a similar skin type, or for anyone looking for a more natural sunscreen.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2011 6:41:00 PM More reviews by ibraille

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wanted this to work for me SO badly...but it didn't. I sent for a sample before ordering online.
I always test new products on days I'm just gonna be at home or near home so in case of a bad reaction I just go wash my face. So that's what I did.
Applying this was easy. I didn't find that it was hard to spread. Also, it didn't not leave that ghostly white cast. I was surprised by that. Then I waited for it to sort of set...but it just wouldn't. I continued with the rest of my face routine hoping that the feeling of this on my face would eventually fade. But it took several hours. Like 5-6 hours before I could finally stop feeling this on my face. This stuff was also super drying. :(
Lastly, by the time I washed this off in the evening(couldn't wait to get it off) there were 4 new friends on my face I didn't have that morning when I woke up! ARGH! I was SOO hoping this would not happen. It broke me out on each of my cheeks and forehead. Not cool.
Sadly this was another SS that didnt' work for me.