July 24, 2014 | 1587 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Lustre in Hug Me

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 6:43:00 PM More reviews by bestscreennameever

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have owned this shade for years but have never written a review. This was one of my first MAC purchases, but I rarely wear it. I am a cool PPP (NW10ish) with pigmented lips, and I have a difficult time finding nude colors that aren't too brown, orange, or muddy on me. Hug Me is a decent nude, but it isn't HG and requires careful application and work to look suitable on me. I could never just swipe this on from the bullet and go. Hug Me is described on the MAC site as "flesh pink", and this is fairly accurate. However, on some people this means it looks TOO MUCH like flesh, and therefore doesn't bring any life to the face and simply looks "blah". Like all Lustre formulas, it applies smoothly and feels very comfortable. To make it work for me, I must apply a pinkish lipliner and typically top off with gloss as well. For example, I have worn it recently by lining and blending with Rimmel Eastend Snob liner and topping with Revlon's Super Lustrous Gloss in Peach Petal or Nude Lustre, or with BB's lipgloss in Pink Beige. If I try to wear without liner and/or gloss, the line at the edge of my lips looks slightly warm and orangey where it meets the rest of my face--not a good look on cool-toned me. I'm not sure I would repurchase as it takes so much work to look good on me.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/25/2012 12:50:00 AM More reviews by NudeBlush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first MAC lipstick when I wanted a nude pinky mouth. But this doesn't bring life to my face. It makes my face look bleh. I wished this was more pink like my beloved Maybelline Nude Blush that was discontinued.

EDIT: I went and bought the pinker version of this which is Modesty in Cremeshine formula. Hug Me and Modesty are very close in color. HM is more peachy and Modesty is more pink. But when Modesty gave my lips a blue tinge like I just came in from the freezing cold and all color was drain from my lips. Hug Me actually looked better! I had HM on my top lip and Modesty on my bottom lip. For some reason, peachy based pinks look better on me than true pinks. I will be re-purchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2012 1:34:00 PM More reviews by LipbalmQueen

I love this lipstick. I always go back to it. I would describe Hug Me (NC 25) as a hot cocoa kind of color on me. It's warm, pink/brown and really pulls my look together. I like the lustre formula because it is slippery and doesn't look like lipstick. It glides over like a balm. All in all, a great neutral that is fool proof and pretty!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2012 8:14:00 PM More reviews by sterlingK

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Other

Love this colour! I tend to like lipstick shades that are a shade darker than my natural lip colour and are fairly sheer. This shade is perfect for me, I wear it often, great go to shade for when I am working. Has a nice shine to it and is very comfortable to wear. Not very long lasting but I wasn't expecting it to be. I actually bought it because my fav lipstick Revlon colorburst in Blush was discontinued, this is almost a perfect match for it if anyone was looking for that shade. Would repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2012 7:20:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I am a blue-eyed NW10 (NW20 in the summers when tanning from a bottle).

I changed my mind, this lipstick ends up looking "cinnamon" brown mauve nude on me, too 90s. It's like I'm trying to look natural, but it looks dramatic instead. Unfortunately, this color is not flattering on me.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2012 11:04:00 PM More reviews by missjessica83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this colour! It enhances my natural lip colour and just gives it the extra touch I need during the day. I usually use Mac lip balm first, apply lipstick, and then add a gloss on top. For my asian skin, it gives me a really subtle feel but also delivers in consistency. I can use this with any look. I love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2012 8:43:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

A slightly cool nude pink on my light tan Asian C4/NC30 skin (I lean neutral). Very nice texture, smooth and moisturizing, with a subtle shimmer finish. With natural makeup, it can look a little too nude on my pigmented lips and wash me out, so I often put Bonne Bell Dr Pepper on top for a bit more color. At night, though, this is a perfect nude lippie for smokey eyes; it adds just enough pigment and shimmer to my lips.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2012 1:08:00 PM More reviews by curlywurly100

i'm fair mediterranean with medium-pigmented lips and Hug Me on me, is only a slight hint darker than my natural lips and looks like a subtle warm brown beige nude on me. because this is a Lustre finish, it is very buildable so tends to go on a little see through at first, but you can eventually reach your desired effect.
i originally always wore 'Modesty', but wanted something a hint more cooler and more neutral, and this is the one to do it. you can wear this colour with any eye look as well.
i like to put this on to bare lips to really bring out the colour, and then add a balm or a gloss if i feel like it. i have a feeling this would suit anyone. definitely give it a try if you're after an everyday staple.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2012 12:58:00 AM More reviews by cadabeijos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hands down, my favorite nude lipstick. Really keeps your lips moisturized and looks great against my NC40 skin. Paired with a nude/golden lipgloss, it's really beautiful.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2012 1:43:00 PM More reviews by Lomelindi

Reference: NC25 v. warm Asian with pigmented (rosy) lips.

I'm on the fence about this one. It swatches beautifully on people's arms - it's like a dewy brown with pink undertones that's very close to my natural lips. It's quite sheer though, so keep that in mind if you're looking for something more pigmented. On my lips, it's prone to disappearing due to how pink my lips naturally are, so I do need to layer it. The good news is that it evens out my lip color, hydrates and doesn't emphasize creases, so you CAN layer it quite a lot. It feels a lot like a balm, which is surprising coming from a MAC lipstick.

Like everyone said, this is a great "My Lips But Better" shade. It'll never be obvious though, so look elsewhere if you want something with more of a punch. I ended up returning this color because as pretty as it is by itself, it just cannot compete with the natural redness in my lips, making it kind of useless as a lipstick by itself. (NOTE: Maybelline Totally Toffee is a close dupe of this, it's very hard to tell them apart when swatched on my arm and my lips. TT may even be more pigmented!)