April 18, 2014 | 1890 users online

Gels/Soaps - Nubian Heritage - African Black Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 4:13:00 PM More reviews by Susie31

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have used the regular nubian heritage african black soap (as pictured in photo above/shea butter) and it was certainly 'ok' but due to online reviews and a breakout I was having, I bought the ANTI BLEMISH DETOXIFYING nubian heritage african black soap, which has oats in it. as well as plantains, tar and tamarind for acne.
and WOW in 2 daysflat my bad breakout was GONE. I am 39 and that NEVER happened before. it TIGHTENED my skin and pores like nothing else. it also I read will make skin lighter and fade scars. there are youtube videos on it.

since people rave about this same brand regular african black soap for acne and scars, why not try the one which says right on the front MADE for acne!(and scars) it has the tar,tamarind and palm ash, plantain etc.. additional. it is NOT drying at all. it also has aloe. oats.
I LOVE IT SO MUCH.
my makeup looks a thousand times better now after using this. because of tightened pores.
I have way less oil too. it was under $5 incl shipping and is a HUGE bar.smells exactly like bananas and suntan lotion. smells much different than the original. lathers up a ton instantly isnt as messy as the original. I dont seem to see all the black/grey suds stuck everywhere) and is a 'hard' bar,wont dissolve/melt quickly, and so will last a long time.
you gotta try it. I jsut added a photo above to see what it says anti blemish detoifying, and healing. ill add a photo of the back of thebox. it says totally different things on it than the regular....

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2013 7:31:00 PM More reviews by gizmondo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a tendency to get breakouts as I have oily skin. Earlier this year I used this religiously and I am not sure if it was because I was going through a particularly stressful time ( my skin was pretty bad with breakouts) or this just didn't agree with me using it so often, so I after 3 weeks I stopped using it, but 3 months later I use it again every other day to wash my face in the morning and my skin is fine.

I would say that its a good cleanser - lathers well and all the better its natural. I found that its best to cut a bit of to use and keep the rest in a sealed plastic container as it had a habit of disolving quickly.

*update*

After writing this review I went back to using black soap to wash my face and I noticed my skin started reacting again with little bumps under the skin and occasional pimples. I have stopped using it completely on my face. To be fair I just think some products just don't agree with everyone and I still would use the black soap on the rest of my body but just not my face as it seems sensitive to it

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2013 1:03:00 PM More reviews by mara2284

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

MY SKIN: OILY, ACNE PRONE, BLACK HEADS, WHITE HEADS, VISIBLE PORES ON CHEEKS, SHINY-TZONE-
I am mixed with german, puertorican, italian...olive complexion, wavy/straight hair.....
My background:I have had problematic oily skin for over a decade now, since I was around 15 years old and I am 28 now. I have tried the following: Accutane, Differin, RetinA, , antibiotics, exfoliation, tons of over the counter products, Bonners Soap, OIl Cleansing Method.....I feel as though I have tried it all and though some products did not aggravate my skin further, none corrected the issue, despite implementing healthy eating and adding colonics. I will say that drinking lots more water, eating healthy, HELPS TREMENDOUSLY...however my skin just wasn't ever completely even and clear. My acne is a composition of tiny little flesh colored bumps, regular pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads....Im oily- T-zone, and the pores in my cheeks are quite visible....So desperate to find something that worked and also being pregnant I walked into the Vitamin Shoppe, I was looking for one thing and stumbled across another...NUBIAN BLACK SOAP.....I bought it along with some essential oils hoping to cleanse and clear my skin and use the oil to relax my spirit for aroma therapy. I have been using this for 2 weeks, my fiance sees an improvement, my sister sees an improvement and most importantly.....I SEE an IMPROVEMENT. My skin is noticeably clearer, smoother, less bumpy, less oily, matte finish after washing, I can actually run around my house with using my tinted moisturizer and still be cute.
MY REGIME: I wash twice daily with Nubian Black Soap and a natural facial sponge, to help with exfoliation. I Rinse with cold water. I keep it very very simple.
NIght: Wash with Black Soap, tone with Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs)....and once a week I do a facial with Bentonite Clay and ACV.
MY skin is looking really good....try this...I wont go anywhere without it. LOVE THIS SOAP SO FAR>.....I gave it 4stars because I want to give it a full 30 days and see what my results are......but so far, I may have found the cure to my acne....and I almost can't believe...but SEEING is BELIEVING....I feel pretty without using a pore minimizer and foundation....Im kinda loving me again!
Hope this helps.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2013 3:27:00 PM More reviews by melissamberry

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

It's so annoying that all these people from iHerb come on makeupalley and write reviews. Makes me not want to order this in general cause I know their reviews are fake. Anyways, a real review. I bought this from Amazon and my skin loves this stuff. It lathers really nicely, you only need a tiny bit, and leaves your skin really clean but not too stripped. I would always notice after I washed my face with this, the blackheads on my nose would be less noticeable, (like I was using an exfoliant) but this is a foamy cleanser w/o those drying chemicals. This takes off makeup well, and my acne scars did get less noticeable with this (dunno if I can totally attribute to this though), but I think it helps with texture and it's just an awesome basic soap. If you're looking for a cheap face wash without the chemicals, this is it. :)

7 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2013 3:07:00 PM More reviews by Neelaaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE!! 9/12/13

Still using and loving this soap. I came back today to read more reviews out of curiosity to see how it was doing! So surprised not too many people love it as much as I do. I want to start off by saying I don't use this for my face and never have, never will. This soap leaves too much of a moisturized feeling and I know that if i used on my face regularly, I would break out. i have normal/combo dry skin. For eczema however, HOLY GRAIL! i have on my arms, and some random spots as well on legs,and under buttcheek lol. This soap does wonders for that and can count on it especially because the ingredients.

I bought this and used it up to the very last sliver so I can definitely make an honest tested out review for this soap!! Before this, I never heard or tried black soap but for some reason I saw it on sale online and ordered it. This soap bar is a little bigger than your average bar of soap size and was tough to hold in one hand when it was new!! It suds up soooo beautifully and when I rub it over my wet skin in the shower it literally does feel like VELVET. Probably my most favorite thing about it. After rinsing, I can immediately feel that squeaky clean feeling on my skin but for me (someone with dry skin on the body), this made me a little worrisome the first time i tried it because I also have eczema patches on my inner elbows and some along the triceps area of my arms. And with a skin condition like that, you want to be sure to keep it well moisturized otherwise it can get irritated. ANYWAYS, smells really good not sure what that scent is but was earthy. Didn't necessarily clear up my excema but didn't make it worse either (since it was natural stuff) which is awesome and helped keep it at bay whenever flare ups did happen. I would definitly repurchase but am also going to continue using my neem soap for any skin issues.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by taurusdragonfly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

Update: It took more than 6 months for me to finish off a bar of this soap and my skin is entirely different than it was when I started using it: smooth, no eczema, clear pores, less breakouts, quicker healing.
-----

Since I started using this soap with my Clarisonic a few times a week, my blemishes have been healing faster and my skin is smoother and more radiant. It wasn't a miracle worker, but I can clearly see a difference since I tried it. Fantastic for my PMS shiny face!

At first I thought it was too drying; it's been a long time since I used actual soap on my face, but my face was not left uncomfortably dry or tight - felt just shy of squeaky clean. It's just right - thorough cleansing enough to remove makeup and oils from the day without causing any dry spots or flakies on my combination skin.

I'm not a fan of the smell - the plantain extract reminds me of banana peels - which I don't like, but it's bearable.The black soap scum can get a little gross inside the Clarisonic, but washes away easily enough. The bar holds up well and doesn't hold water and get goopy or slimy in the shower.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2013 10:32:00 AM More reviews by michellerodgerscts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

A little background...my current skincare regimen is"

Morning:
-Nubian Heritage African Soap (this soap, used twice, once to wash off my makeup, and another time to actually cleanse my skin)
-ACV as a toner
-Milk of Magnesia
-SPF face lotion
-Tinted Moisturzer and bronzer

Evening:
-Nubian Heritage African Soap (this soap, used twice, once to wash off my makeup, and another time to actually cleanse my skin...sometimes I will follow up with my Murad facewash)
-ACV as a toner
-Shea Butter

I have very sensitive acne prone skin and I feel like this regimen (specifially this product) is the ONLY thing that has given me nearly perfect skin. I have used ProActive, Murad, Neutrogena and any other drugstore product you can think of...and this bar has made my skin PERFECT. It has quickly faded dark marks, shrinks my poors, assists in oil production, and gets my makeup off as well as any high end product. I will always use this bar. It is great for traveling (I hate traveling with liquid soap), when I am away I use this bar as my makeup remover, facewash, and body wash. I love the scent, I love the price, and I will always have this stocked up in my bathroom. I have not tried the other scents on my face, but I know for sure, this works for sensitive acne prone skin. If any of you ladies have tried the other scents on your face with similar or better results please send me a message!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 3:20:00 PM More reviews by graceeunhyeso

I love this soap! I use it every night after removing my makeup, to ensure everything is iff my face. And I use it in mornings when I feel oily.
This soap has helped me with redness on my face so much. And I feel like when I use this, my breakouts appear to the surface more quicker, helping me to get rid of them faster.
Has an amazing smell to it, and I love how cheap it is for this bar of soap! Lasts for a longggg time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2013 4:59:00 PM More reviews by bebe7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using this soap for a month on my face. I have acne prone, clog-prone skin that gets pretty oily. I use Paula's choice 2% bha to keep the clogs at bay. I ordered this soap because I heard great things about African black soap. This was very cheap. I ordered a bar from iherb for less than $4. Shipping was very fast. This is a relatively big bar of soap. It as a very nice, fresh, smell. It soaps up pretty nicely. It cleans my face very well, and leaves it feeling very clean and fresh. It does not dry out my face.I don't break out from this, but I don't think it exactly helps improve my skin either. It just leaves my face very well cleaned. Previously, I used PC's hydralight cleanser, which I really liked. However, I am going to continue using this soap because it performs just as well, and costs much less than your typical facewash. I also use this with my Clarisonic at night and it works very well with that as well.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/28/2012 4:36:00 PM More reviews by heyimvina

Got this at vitamin shoppe (they do carry a lot of nubian heritage stuff)...and was excited to try this out. I read it initially on iHerb.com and seeing the glowing reviews I just had to run out and get it. First off my skin is on the oily side but gets dry very easily. The smell is divine, very unique and I was very skeptical about using bar soaps to wash my face but this particular one included shea butter so I didn't hesitate. The first few days my skin felt pretty good, nothing to write home about, but after using this bar soap everyday (once a day) for 2 weeks, I broke out in tiny bumps all over. Especially my cheeks where it is very sensitive to acne breakouts. I believe this bar soap is "too soapy" and i would not recommend as a facial wash.

Anyway I use this in the shower on my body now, I keep it away from my face (critical).. The smell is still good and it lasts for quite a while..makes for a good body exfoliater.

Did i already mention that it smells really good?