September 3, 2014 | 1000 users online

Gels/Soaps - Nubian Heritage - African Black Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2013 9:20:00 PM More reviews by curlycolor

I have a recurring patch of eczema beneath each eye. The patches are not severe, but when they pop up, they are dry enough so that makeup looks horrible on, even with plenty of moisturizer. I came across this soap at the Vitamin Shoppe; the label said it was good for eczema, so I bought it. What I DID like is that it gave my face a very clean feeling. But after using it for a while, it ended up exacerbating the eczema and making it recur. I think it's just too drying. Also, it contains coal tar, which is a known carcinogen.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by woolandwater

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I purchased a bar of this at Whole Foods. I had heard a lot about black soap and wanted to see for myself. I like how this soap makes my skin feel after washing. A soap that leaves my skin feeling nice and clean after washing is important to me because of my acne-prone skin.

While some people might find it a little drying, I do not. This might also be because it's been a humid Michigan summer, but I"ll have to see how my skin feels about that when it's colder out. The price is not bad at all, considering I have used some pricey face washes in the past. I can't tell if it is helping my skin or not since I'm on a skin care regimen from my dermatologist, but I do like it and would recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 2:54:00 PM More reviews by laylajeanMUA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am in awe over this product. I have dry skin and basically any soap product that foams does not work for me. I usually have to use very gentle face washes that barely clean my face, which results in clogged pores and more skin issues for me. This product has changed my life. It is an organic soap, and does not leave my dry skin stripped or irritated like everything else has. I have dry, acne prone skin (Basically the worst skin type!) but I could never use any acne products because they always dried out my skin. This soap is basically a god send for people with my skin type (and probably every other skin type too!).

I tend to wear alot of makeup, and this cleanser gets it all off in one go. Afterwards, my skin feels a little tight (not overly dry) and moisturizer is still needed, but you should always use one anyways! I use organic hemp oil as my moisturizer at night and the hemp lotion by this same brand during the day. This combination has worked WONDERS for my dry skin. Not only has my acne almost completely cleared up, but my makeup now goes on very smoothly because this soap leaves my face completely flake-free. I used to have such a hard time putting on foundation because NOTHING would get rid of the flakes all over my face.

Seriously ditch your drugstore, AND high end chemical filled crappy skincare products and go organic. I can't believe I did not do this sooner, my skin is finally becoming the skin I have always dreamed of. Also, this soap is like 2-3 bucks so you have nothing to lose! try it out! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2013 7:12:00 PM More reviews by creativenature90

I'm a big fan of Dudu - Osun african black soap for correcting discoloration and general exfoliation - the stuff leaves your skin glowing like no other. But my local health food store didn't carry it so I tried the Nubian Heritage brand and I'm not very impressed. Leaves a residue on my skin and doesn't do anything special. Its a nice soap for bathing, but really nothing to write home about.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 4:13:00 PM More reviews by Susie31

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have used the regular nubian heritage african black soap (as pictured in photo above/shea butter) and it was certainly 'ok' but due to online reviews and a breakout I was having, I bought the ANTI BLEMISH DETOXIFYING nubian heritage african black soap, which has oats in it. as well as plantains, tar and tamarind for acne.
and WOW in 2 daysflat my bad breakout was GONE. I am 39 and that NEVER happened before. it TIGHTENED my skin and pores like nothing else. it also I read will make skin lighter and fade scars. there are youtube videos on it.

since people rave about this same brand regular african black soap for acne and scars, why not try the one which says right on the front MADE for acne!(and scars) it has the tar,tamarind and palm ash, plantain etc.. additional. it is NOT drying at all. it also has aloe. oats.
I LOVE IT SO MUCH.
my makeup looks a thousand times better now after using this. because of tightened pores.
I have way less oil too. it was under $5 incl shipping and is a HUGE bar.smells exactly like bananas and suntan lotion. smells much different than the original. lathers up a ton instantly isnt as messy as the original. I dont seem to see all the black/grey suds stuck everywhere) and is a 'hard' bar,wont dissolve/melt quickly, and so will last a long time.
you gotta try it. I jsut added a photo above to see what it says anti blemish detoifying, and healing. ill add a photo of the back of thebox. it says totally different things on it than the regular....

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2013 7:31:00 PM More reviews by gizmondo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a tendency to get breakouts as I have oily skin. Earlier this year I used this religiously and I am not sure if it was because I was going through a particularly stressful time ( my skin was pretty bad with breakouts) or this just didn't agree with me using it so often, so I after 3 weeks I stopped using it, but 3 months later I use it again every other day to wash my face in the morning and my skin is fine.

I would say that its a good cleanser - lathers well and all the better its natural. I found that its best to cut a bit of to use and keep the rest in a sealed plastic container as it had a habit of disolving quickly.

*update*

After writing this review I went back to using black soap to wash my face and I noticed my skin started reacting again with little bumps under the skin and occasional pimples. I have stopped using it completely on my face. To be fair I just think some products just don't agree with everyone and I still would use the black soap on the rest of my body but just not my face as it seems sensitive to it

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2013 1:03:00 PM More reviews by mara2284

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

MY SKIN: OILY, ACNE PRONE, BLACK HEADS, WHITE HEADS, VISIBLE PORES ON CHEEKS, SHINY-TZONE-
I am mixed with german, puertorican, italian...olive complexion, wavy/straight hair.....
My background:I have had problematic oily skin for over a decade now, since I was around 15 years old and I am 28 now. I have tried the following: Accutane, Differin, RetinA, , antibiotics, exfoliation, tons of over the counter products, Bonners Soap, OIl Cleansing Method.....I feel as though I have tried it all and though some products did not aggravate my skin further, none corrected the issue, despite implementing healthy eating and adding colonics. I will say that drinking lots more water, eating healthy, HELPS TREMENDOUSLY...however my skin just wasn't ever completely even and clear. My acne is a composition of tiny little flesh colored bumps, regular pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads....Im oily- T-zone, and the pores in my cheeks are quite visible....So desperate to find something that worked and also being pregnant I walked into the Vitamin Shoppe, I was looking for one thing and stumbled across another...NUBIAN BLACK SOAP.....I bought it along with some essential oils hoping to cleanse and clear my skin and use the oil to relax my spirit for aroma therapy. I have been using this for 2 weeks, my fiance sees an improvement, my sister sees an improvement and most importantly.....I SEE an IMPROVEMENT. My skin is noticeably clearer, smoother, less bumpy, less oily, matte finish after washing, I can actually run around my house with using my tinted moisturizer and still be cute.
MY REGIME: I wash twice daily with Nubian Black Soap and a natural facial sponge, to help with exfoliation. I Rinse with cold water. I keep it very very simple.
NIght: Wash with Black Soap, tone with Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs)....and once a week I do a facial with Bentonite Clay and ACV.
MY skin is looking really good....try this...I wont go anywhere without it. LOVE THIS SOAP SO FAR>.....I gave it 4stars because I want to give it a full 30 days and see what my results are......but so far, I may have found the cure to my acne....and I almost can't believe...but SEEING is BELIEVING....I feel pretty without using a pore minimizer and foundation....Im kinda loving me again!
Hope this helps.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2013 3:27:00 PM More reviews by melissamberry

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

It's so annoying that all these people from iHerb come on makeupalley and write reviews. Makes me not want to order this in general cause I know their reviews are fake. Anyways, a real review. I bought this from Amazon and my skin loves this stuff. It lathers really nicely, you only need a tiny bit, and leaves your skin really clean but not too stripped. I would always notice after I washed my face with this, the blackheads on my nose would be less noticeable, (like I was using an exfoliant) but this is a foamy cleanser w/o those drying chemicals. This takes off makeup well, and my acne scars did get less noticeable with this (dunno if I can totally attribute to this though), but I think it helps with texture and it's just an awesome basic soap. If you're looking for a cheap face wash without the chemicals, this is it. :)

8 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2013 3:07:00 PM More reviews by Neelaaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE!! 9/12/13

Still using and loving this soap. I came back today to read more reviews out of curiosity to see how it was doing! So surprised not too many people love it as much as I do. I want to start off by saying I don't use this for my face and never have, never will. This soap leaves too much of a moisturized feeling and I know that if i used on my face regularly, I would break out. i have normal/combo dry skin. For eczema however, HOLY GRAIL! i have on my arms, and some random spots as well on legs,and under buttcheek lol. This soap does wonders for that and can count on it especially because the ingredients.

I bought this and used it up to the very last sliver so I can definitely make an honest tested out review for this soap!! Before this, I never heard or tried black soap but for some reason I saw it on sale online and ordered it. This soap bar is a little bigger than your average bar of soap size and was tough to hold in one hand when it was new!! It suds up soooo beautifully and when I rub it over my wet skin in the shower it literally does feel like VELVET. Probably my most favorite thing about it. After rinsing, I can immediately feel that squeaky clean feeling on my skin but for me (someone with dry skin on the body), this made me a little worrisome the first time i tried it because I also have eczema patches on my inner elbows and some along the triceps area of my arms. And with a skin condition like that, you want to be sure to keep it well moisturized otherwise it can get irritated. ANYWAYS, smells really good not sure what that scent is but was earthy. Didn't necessarily clear up my excema but didn't make it worse either (since it was natural stuff) which is awesome and helped keep it at bay whenever flare ups did happen. I would definitly repurchase but am also going to continue using my neem soap for any skin issues.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by taurusdragonfly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

Update: It took more than 6 months for me to finish off a bar of this soap and my skin is entirely different than it was when I started using it: smooth, no eczema, clear pores, less breakouts, quicker healing.
-----

Since I started using this soap with my Clarisonic a few times a week, my blemishes have been healing faster and my skin is smoother and more radiant. It wasn't a miracle worker, but I can clearly see a difference since I tried it. Fantastic for my PMS shiny face!

At first I thought it was too drying; it's been a long time since I used actual soap on my face, but my face was not left uncomfortably dry or tight - felt just shy of squeaky clean. It's just right - thorough cleansing enough to remove makeup and oils from the day without causing any dry spots or flakies on my combination skin.

I'm not a fan of the smell - the plantain extract reminds me of banana peels - which I don't like, but it's bearable.The black soap scum can get a little gross inside the Clarisonic, but washes away easily enough. The bar holds up well and doesn't hold water and get goopy or slimy in the shower.