November 26, 2014 | 1954 users online

Gels/Soaps - Nubian Heritage - African Black Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2013 12:21:00 AM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really like this soap and use it as body wash during the winter months. It smells divine and leaves the skin soft, moisturized and healthy looking. You can't beat the lather for shaving your legs and the shea butter keeps your skin extra supple. If you find this is too harsh on your face, consider trying it as a body wash and you may have better results.

The only downside to using this in the shower is that it can melt really easily (best to keep it in the driest place in your shower or outside of it) and it leaves some intense, dark soap scum. The soap scum (and any other stains in your shower really) can be taken off with some sulfate containing shampoo and baking soda though, works better than any other cleaner on the market.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by sabrinabruning

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

You alright, Nubian Heritage soap.

I prefer buying this to either cheap market soaps, fancier commercial soaps (Doe, Olay, etc.), or pricy soaps which accomplish the same thing ($$$ clay bars, Lush brand soaps).

It's a great alternative to spending money on acquiring gentle daily face wash as well. Why bother? Just use the bar.

I use this with my Clarisonic brush. Boom. Done.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/9/2013 9:18:00 AM More reviews by Azie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Did abosolutley nothing to clear my skin ended up binning it!doing much better with manuka honey face masks and homemade vitamin C serum :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2013 9:20:00 PM More reviews by curlycolor

I have a recurring patch of eczema beneath each eye. The patches are not severe, but when they pop up, they are dry enough so that makeup looks horrible on, even with plenty of moisturizer. I came across this soap at the Vitamin Shoppe; the label said it was good for eczema, so I bought it. What I DID like is that it gave my face a very clean feeling. But after using it for a while, it ended up exacerbating the eczema and making it recur. I think it's just too drying. Also, it contains coal tar, which is a known carcinogen.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by woolandwater

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I purchased a bar of this at Whole Foods. I had heard a lot about black soap and wanted to see for myself. I like how this soap makes my skin feel after washing. A soap that leaves my skin feeling nice and clean after washing is important to me because of my acne-prone skin.

While some people might find it a little drying, I do not. This might also be because it's been a humid Michigan summer, but I"ll have to see how my skin feels about that when it's colder out. The price is not bad at all, considering I have used some pricey face washes in the past. I can't tell if it is helping my skin or not since I'm on a skin care regimen from my dermatologist, but I do like it and would recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 2:54:00 PM More reviews by laylajeanMUA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am in awe over this product. I have dry skin and basically any soap product that foams does not work for me. I usually have to use very gentle face washes that barely clean my face, which results in clogged pores and more skin issues for me. This product has changed my life. It is an organic soap, and does not leave my dry skin stripped or irritated like everything else has. I have dry, acne prone skin (Basically the worst skin type!) but I could never use any acne products because they always dried out my skin. This soap is basically a god send for people with my skin type (and probably every other skin type too!).

I tend to wear alot of makeup, and this cleanser gets it all off in one go. Afterwards, my skin feels a little tight (not overly dry) and moisturizer is still needed, but you should always use one anyways! I use organic hemp oil as my moisturizer at night and the hemp lotion by this same brand during the day. This combination has worked WONDERS for my dry skin. Not only has my acne almost completely cleared up, but my makeup now goes on very smoothly because this soap leaves my face completely flake-free. I used to have such a hard time putting on foundation because NOTHING would get rid of the flakes all over my face.

Seriously ditch your drugstore, AND high end chemical filled crappy skincare products and go organic. I can't believe I did not do this sooner, my skin is finally becoming the skin I have always dreamed of. Also, this soap is like 2-3 bucks so you have nothing to lose! try it out! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2013 7:12:00 PM More reviews by creativenature90

I'm a big fan of Dudu - Osun african black soap for correcting discoloration and general exfoliation - the stuff leaves your skin glowing like no other. But my local health food store didn't carry it so I tried the Nubian Heritage brand and I'm not very impressed. Leaves a residue on my skin and doesn't do anything special. Its a nice soap for bathing, but really nothing to write home about.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 4:13:00 PM More reviews by Susie31

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have used the regular nubian heritage african black soap (as pictured in photo above/shea butter) and it was certainly 'ok' but due to online reviews and a breakout I was having, I bought the ANTI BLEMISH DETOXIFYING nubian heritage african black soap, which has oats in it. as well as plantains, tar and tamarind for acne.
and WOW in 2 daysflat my bad breakout was GONE. I am 39 and that NEVER happened before. it TIGHTENED my skin and pores like nothing else. it also I read will make skin lighter and fade scars. there are youtube videos on it.

since people rave about this same brand regular african black soap for acne and scars, why not try the one which says right on the front MADE for acne!(and scars) it has the tar,tamarind and palm ash, plantain etc.. additional. it is NOT drying at all. it also has aloe. oats.
I LOVE IT SO MUCH.
my makeup looks a thousand times better now after using this. because of tightened pores.
I have way less oil too. it was under $5 incl shipping and is a HUGE bar.smells exactly like bananas and suntan lotion. smells much different than the original. lathers up a ton instantly isnt as messy as the original. I dont seem to see all the black/grey suds stuck everywhere) and is a 'hard' bar,wont dissolve/melt quickly, and so will last a long time.
you gotta try it. I jsut added a photo above to see what it says anti blemish detoifying, and healing. ill add a photo of the back of thebox. it says totally different things on it than the regular....

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2013 7:31:00 PM More reviews by gizmondo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a tendency to get breakouts as I have oily skin. Earlier this year I used this religiously and I am not sure if it was because I was going through a particularly stressful time ( my skin was pretty bad with breakouts) or this just didn't agree with me using it so often, so I after 3 weeks I stopped using it, but 3 months later I use it again every other day to wash my face in the morning and my skin is fine.

I would say that its a good cleanser - lathers well and all the better its natural. I found that its best to cut a bit of to use and keep the rest in a sealed plastic container as it had a habit of disolving quickly.

*update*

After writing this review I went back to using black soap to wash my face and I noticed my skin started reacting again with little bumps under the skin and occasional pimples. I have stopped using it completely on my face. To be fair I just think some products just don't agree with everyone and I still would use the black soap on the rest of my body but just not my face as it seems sensitive to it

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2013 3:27:00 PM More reviews by melissamberry

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

It's so annoying that all these people from iHerb come on makeupalley and write reviews. Makes me not want to order this in general cause I know their reviews are fake. Anyways, a real review. I bought this from Amazon and my skin loves this stuff. It lathers really nicely, you only need a tiny bit, and leaves your skin really clean but not too stripped. I would always notice after I washed my face with this, the blackheads on my nose would be less noticeable, (like I was using an exfoliant) but this is a foamy cleanser w/o those drying chemicals. This takes off makeup well, and my acne scars did get less noticeable with this (dunno if I can totally attribute to this though), but I think it helps with texture and it's just an awesome basic soap. If you're looking for a cheap face wash without the chemicals, this is it. :)

8 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No