Nubian Heritage African Black Soap

4.1

African black soap base, African shea butter, oats, aloe, plantain extract, vitamin E, essential oil blend, vegetable glycerin, palm ash, rosemary extract, iron oxides.

on 11/13/2013 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I'm still testing this out, but I am liking it thus far. I only use it once a day because it reacts too strongly with my sensitive skin if used twice daily. But used once a day it seems to be working well with a minimum of irritation. It feels like I'm getting my skin really clean, but not stripping my skin. I use this, Caudalie Beauty Elixir and a moisturizer at night and it has really cleared up and smoothed out my skin. I am really pleased with the results, especially at such a low price. Usually I spend a lot more for skincare that gives much less impressive results. ETA-I use this only when my breakouts get bad because it usually causes a reaction in my skin. It does seem to be clearing up the breakouts, but seems to be a bit too harsh on my skin to use as more than a spot treatment.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this soap! I could never use generic soap due to fragrance sensitivities and breakouts, so I was nervous about trying this but at the same time trusted my fellow reviewers enough to give this a go. Turns out this has become a HG product of mine. I cut the bar in half and use half for showering and half for cleansing my acne-prone face. It leaves my skin feeling silky smooth and calm without any residues. Doesn't break me out, in fact I honestly believe this has improved my acne. Lathers excellently. I even use it to clean my MAC brushes! Very affordable product with great longevity, I will often buy multiple bars to stock up which lasts me many months.

on 11/4/2013 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

My older sister recommended me this soap for acne because it worked for her but it dried out my skin and left a stripped, crackly feeling all over my face. This is the worst soap from the Nubian Heritage line.

on 10/29/2013 3:35:00 AM

So.

I bought this soap for a little over $3 from an online retailer. Had heard good things about it and I'd been fighting some acne that spontaneously appeared on my face about six months ago and had yet to calm down (gone from basically perfect skin to 5-6 large sore red pimples on my cheeks at all times). I stopped using all my products to find out if it was anything causing an allergic reaction, etc -- definitely not.

Not expecting much, I rubbed this soap bar in my palms and applied the foam liberally to my face, rubbing it all over and washing it off. I followed it with some Queen Helene mask on the acne areas (the green one! Also $3 or so.)

In 6 days my skin has cleared up like NOTHING else has. I've spent over $150+ on products from all kinds of retailers, from low end supermarket stuff to Estee Lauder, and nothing's cleared it up. Until this.

It was also definitely not a sudden diet change as I eat pretty much the same thing everyday. I also do not pick my acne, and exercise/water intake is all the same.

The only difference I can contribute the miraculous change in my skin's appearance to, is this black soap. It's incredible. My skin felt clean but most importantly (for me) my pimples dried right up. The redness and irritation went away.

If you have acne I'd highly recommend picking up this soap and at the very least giving it a try. It costs next to nothing online if you look around for a while.

The smell is a bit unusual - I didn't like it at first - I thought it smelt a bit like a black jellybean. But I read somewhere someone mentioned the scent as 'banana flavouring and suntan lotion', and that's prettymuch accurate. It's not unpleasant, and in fact I kinda like it, now.

Also, you don't need a lot to get a decent amount of foam so it'll probably last at least 6 months, which is pretty impressive for a large bar of soap.

My routine:
- wash face with black soap in the morning when waking up
- Queen Helene mask on troubled acne areas (cheeks)
- Clearasil 50+SPF moisturising lotion on face APART from acne areas

Night:
- makeup remover
- Estee Lauder Perfectionist serum around the eyes
(I know it's kinda gross to not wash at night but I'm trying really hard to not 'overwork' my skin with too many products/washes as that seems to make the acne worse).

Sorry, my review has become super long but just wanted to make clear the way I use black soap and what for. For me it's been the only fix out of the 7-10 products I've tried to fix an adult acne breakout! (I'm 21.)

on 10/22/2013 8:56:00 PM

100% the best cleanser for my combination, sensitive, acne-prone (hormonal, ugh) skin. My skin has completely cleared up in the past 18 months+ of using this product, and I can't be happier. I've purchased and used several bars, which I cut into slices to prolong in the shower. It leaves my skin calm and balanced... beautiful! It smells wonderful, lathers well, and washes cleanly with no residue, and therefore no itchies.

I don't need a moisturizer after using this product, with the exception of a rosewater-glycerine mist (heritage) that I use after showering at night, and in the morning after splashing my face with cool water. I am, however, so happy with this soap that I've placed an order for nubian's black soap day moisturizer to try during the drier winter months.

I'm so glad I got turned onto african black soap! I have purchased shea moisture's african black soap body wash, lotion, shampoo, and conditioner because if it works so well on my face, I'd like to spread the love to the rest of my body :]

ENJOY! My mom now uses this soap bar and her skin is evening out, too!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I really like this soap and use it as body wash during the winter months. It smells divine and leaves the skin soft, moisturized and healthy looking. You can't beat the lather for shaving your legs and the shea butter keeps your skin extra supple. If you find this is too harsh on your face, consider trying it as a body wash and you may have better results.

The only downside to using this in the shower is that it can melt really easily (best to keep it in the driest place in your shower or outside of it) and it leaves some intense, dark soap scum. The soap scum (and any other stains in your shower really) can be taken off with some sulfate containing shampoo and baking soda though, works better than any other cleaner on the market.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

You alright, Nubian Heritage soap.

I prefer buying this to either cheap market soaps, fancier commercial soaps (Doe, Olay, etc.), or pricy soaps which accomplish the same thing ($$$ clay bars, Lush brand soaps).

It's a great alternative to spending money on acquiring gentle daily face wash as well. Why bother? Just use the bar.

I use this with my Clarisonic brush. Boom. Done.

on 8/9/2013 9:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Did abosolutley nothing to clear my skin ended up binning it!doing much better with manuka honey face masks and homemade vitamin C serum :)

on 7/22/2013 9:20:00 PM

I have a recurring patch of eczema beneath each eye. The patches are not severe, but when they pop up, they are dry enough so that makeup looks horrible on, even with plenty of moisturizer. I came across this soap at the Vitamin Shoppe; the label said it was good for eczema, so I bought it. What I DID like is that it gave my face a very clean feeling. But after using it for a while, it ended up exacerbating the eczema and making it recur. I think it's just too drying. Also, it contains coal tar, which is a known carcinogen.

on 7/16/2013 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I purchased a bar of this at Whole Foods. I had heard a lot about black soap and wanted to see for myself. I like how this soap makes my skin feel after washing. A soap that leaves my skin feeling nice and clean after washing is important to me because of my acne-prone skin.

While some people might find it a little drying, I do not. This might also be because it's been a humid Michigan summer, but I"ll have to see how my skin feels about that when it's colder out. The price is not bad at all, considering I have used some pricey face washes in the past. I can't tell if it is helping my skin or not since I'm on a skin care regimen from my dermatologist, but I do like it and would recommend it.