Hakuhodo Brushes

4.7

on 8/13/2012 9:09:00 PM

I am completely re-doing my review: I had a previous one, but now that I've been using them for almost 2 years I can give a better review.
I own 8 brushes so far:
S142 Eye Shadow Brush round
G5510BkSL Eye Shadow Brush round flat
-------
Kokutan Eye Shadow Brush M
Large and round, very soft. Blue squirrel hair. This brush is great for one purpose and one purpose only. To highlight the brow bone. I use this with my MAC Blanc Type and it is AWESOME. If you line the outer V of your eye and want to merge the brow color, yet soften the look-this brush is perfect for doing that without eating the color. I use a steady hand and use gentle sweeping motions just above the coloring in the crease and hold it straight to wind-shield wipe back and forth to let the edge of this brush blend the brow color and harsh V-line. Because of this, I will never get rid of this brush because it is so good at it's one job. I suppose you can use it for large color washes over the lid also, but I like it for my brow bone color because it is the perfect size for my eye and brow area.

Kokutan Eye Shadow Brush T
Pictures on the sight make it look like it is a very good brush for crease work but the brush is not pointed at all EXCEPT after it is washed. For 2-3 uses after washing, with a light hand you can do good crease work and blending on the lower lash line. After a few uses it becomes rounded and less ideal for precise crease work. Strange but that is the best way I can describe it. Also works well for inner corner of the eye for highlighting/frost colors. If you are looking for a true, pointed eye pencil brush I would say you should look for something else. I do however, find I use this brush a bit bc it can be pointed when used after it is shaped post wash and it does a nice job of getting in the crease and small spaces without creating harsh lines. I recently bought the Suqqu Eyeshadow M bc someone said it was more pointed than the Kokutan T but really, I think they are quite similar. Both are nice to have but the Hakuhodo is the cheaper option if you are not a brush collector intent on owning Suqqu. I used to not like this brush much, but have found it has lasted awhile in my brush collection and is a go-to each day and for traveling.

Kokutan Finishing Brush LAG
Ah, another brush that is a keeper for it's sole purpose (for me). I use this for blush, finishing powder around my eyes & for fall out. This is a BIG fan brush. It's fun to run your hands through-it has a decent amount of spring but don't expect a ton of precision with this.Very, very good at getting fall out off of your face without ruining a look. It kinda just wisps every thing away if need be.

G503 Blush Brush L angled
Very dense, good for precise highlighting and applying mineral foundation to the nose area. Other than that, this brush is not a keeper! I apparently can't get into the short handle thing. I think that is one of the main reasons I don't reach for this one that often. I also feel that with a longer handle, I can blend better. Sounds stupid but with the brush being dense and the handle short, my hand is "too heavy" and I end up applying too much foundation/blush.

G527M Powder Brush Maple
A very good, flat top brush for buffing in color. I think I use this brush the most in the morning, especially when I am in a hurry. The goat hair is soft enough and the brush is densely packed. My biggest complaint about this brush is that it does not dry fast enough when deep cleaned. I use the Hakuhodo brush cleanser and the dye from this brush always manages to come out, even when mostly dried. My suggestion would be to wash, let dry all the way if possible and then take a paper towel and buff the shit out of the brush until no residue is on the paper towel. This little incident happened to me this morning with having black/blue hue get applied to my face and I was pissed!! Not a small inconvenience when you are trying to get ready in a hurry. I would imagine that the dye washing out only happens with the goat hair brushes (at least that's what I have read). THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN WASHED. Still, that being the biggest negative about the goat hair brushes/this brush-this IS a good brush.

S142 Eye Shadow Brush round
An okay brush. The hair is too long, I think? I dunno what the deal is, it is more pointed than the Kokutan Eye Shadow Brush T, but where it makes up for precision, it lacks density. You have to use a light hand & gentle motions to blend well. Not one for applying any color (like you can with the 217) and if I had to say what "order" this brush comes in during a 3 hour-get-ready session (which I have maybe, MAYBE 3-5 times a year)...this would be a finishing-touches-for-the-eye brush.
This is not a must have at all.
G5510BkSL Eye Shadow Brush round flat
I like that this is a short, shader brush. It can get in tight spots but is mainly for smoking out eyeshadow around the eye. I also have used it for MAC pigments and loose shadows several times. If you do a lot of smokey looks, this might be a must have. For me, it's just a nice addition to my collection.
Overall, I am pleased with these brushes. I would also like to point out that the advertising for the Kokutan brushes gaining more "luster" the longer you hold them is not true at all. In fact, they dull over time. Still, they are my favorite series from Hakuhodo. I actually used a wood polishing wipe to get makeup out of the wood creases from time to time. If you are not one for the upkeep of wood/worrying about the emblem at the bottom fading-stick with a different series.I however, like the look and feel of the wood, the matte ferrule and the silver emblem at the bottom. HTH.

on 8/2/2012 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I purchased 2 brushes the K021 Eye Shadow Round Brush for applying base shadow and the K022 Powder Brush. These brushes are so soft and I love both of them. The K021 is made from blue squirrel so the base shadow is a light coverage which is exactly what I was looking for. The K022 Powder brush is made from goat hair and makes applying my powder look so natural. I could not achieve this with my old powder brush. The quality of these brushes is great. These brushes are an investment and I plan on purchasing more in the future. The only negative is the shipping is expensive $9.00.

on 4/27/2012 1:41:00 AM

I am so disappointed! I read so many good reviews, so I went ahead and updated my brush collection with 10 Hakuhodo brushes. Yes the brushheads are soft, squirrel-hairy, 24 kt gold and all that.
But within not even two weeks, all the blackhandled ones completely lost the Hakuhodo brand name from the handles, and the S100 series Vermillion ones chipped at the bottom of the handles! By no means I mishandle my brushes, I always touch them with clean hands and take very good care of them!
I asked to return one I had opened, but never used, and exchange one that was chipped fairly badly. They agreed to inspect them and take the unused one back discounting 20% of the price, so I sent them back. Now they said, they couldn't accept the unused one because of a tiny chip, and the other one, they determined that the chips were my fault, so now they'll send both of them back to me! I've had all types of brushes, including high- and low-end brushes for YEARS and NEVER had a single one losing the brand naming or chipping at the handle. NEVER!
Yes the brush heads might have good hair quality (minus the G545, which I honestly didn't like for applying liquids at all, since it left streaks) but knowing about the chipping and rubbing off within days and few weeks, I wouldn't have spent about 500.- on these brushes, I'd rather not have purchased any!
I'm sorry for babbling on, I'm upset about it and honestly expected another quality or at least service for this price range!
Not repurchasing or recommending.

on 3/30/2012 4:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Well I have a selection of these now. And I will be busy in the years to come collecting them. They probably started as artist paint/calligraphy brushes...you probably need to know the sort of brushes you really need for perfect professional makeup... but the gorgeous high art quality, the softness, the absolute polish and perfection..frankly I could be just as happy framing them and admiring them every day as using them!
I am going through a bit of a phase with collecting brushes at the moment, and will come home with something I found downtown, even comparing high end things like my daughters' MAC, well, sadly, it is rubbish compared to Hakuhodo.
Hakuhodo is perfection in cosmetic brushes. And their shipping all over the world is excellent. Even just try a small one for the same price of some 'name' brand...you will be gobsmacked!

I own one Hakuhodo (for now anyways :) ) and it's the G527 flat top. I had been searching for some time for a powder brushes and stumbled upon it when looking through MUFE archives. I had already went through 2 MUFE bukis (they both died from a cracked handle within 2 months of purchase) so I really wanted something well made that would give me a flawless airbrushed finish. I was browsing the boards here on MUA, and came across Hakuhodo brushes. It was a brand i was unfamiliar with, and after researching it further you MUA'ers talked me into it. So glad you did! Let me tell you, it was worth every penny.This really is an example of "you get what you pay for". I already own a Two Face Buki, a Sonia Kashuck loose powder brush. I like them but for a different purpose. Comparing Hakuhodo to any of these is like a pair of Nine West boots and a pair of Fryes. Both are good quality, can be used daily, look good/feel good. One will clearly outlast the other and will have more unique styles and varieties. But you pay for it.
My G527 is soft,dense and full. It buffs my Mac Pro loose invisible setting powder flawlessly into my skin without leaving a trail of black hairs all over my face. (ahem, Mac face brushes). Love, love,love. I swore I would never buy another face brush from anywhere else, but I just ordered a Loouise Young foundation brush due not only to the quality but to it's unique shape. Hakuhodo defiantly trumps every department store /sephora brush I have owned so far(Bobbi brown, Mac, Sephora Pro, Two Faced,MUFE)

on 1/29/2012 11:29:00 PM

I purchased few brushes before the Jan 2012 price increase. Though expensive, these brushes are worth every cent. I will review only the ones that stand out the most to me.
I was looking for a foundation brush, to buff liquid foundation. Marty, @ Hakuhodo recommended getting the G543 Powder DR round ($94). This brush is truly remarkable. The goat hair bristles work well on my oily skin, and this brush has worked wonders for me. Gives me a perfectly airbrused look. My DH didn't comment on how I looked, but he couldn't stop taking my pics on the first night I used this brush. On the downside, Hakuhodo recommends we wash their brushes once every month, and use a tissue for everyday cleanup. I'm not too comfortable reusing the brush with foundation residue on it day after day.
The S103($93) is my precious, I bought it just so I can caress my skin with it. This brush can be used to apply blush, contour and highlight. So it is a very worthy investment. It requires just a light dusting after every use, and it's ready to pick up the next product. If you can afford it, please do yourself a favor and buy this one. It's a great value for all the work it can do. This brush will make you feel like a pampered princess.
S121G($53) - the brush I use everyday to apply an eye shadow base. It's a work horse and clean up after every use is such a breeze. A must.
K004($24) - I use this again everyday to darken the outer V, the application is so even, and refined. These brushes operate on a whole another level. Great for everyday work makeup. It never makes me look like I have spent a whole lot of time, gives me an effortless eye look every single day. Great value.
G527M($66) - Great and perfect powder brush. It makes a similar brush from dior look like a toilet brush. It's densely packed and delivers a beautiful finish. Though the smashbox face and body brush #19 is a bigger brush, and contains more bristles, the G527 feels more denser and is a league apart. Another Hakuhodo brush must.
If you are looking to start a brush collection and consider buying quality brushes an investment, look no further than hakuhodo. I am pleasantly shocked by the results these brushes have given me, from the same ole make up products. I have MAC, Laura Mercier, Smashbox and other high end brand brushes. None of the brands remotely compare to the Hakuhodo performance. One exception is the MAC 217, another must for me.
If I'd have to revamp my brush collection and keep only the ones that make a difference to my face - I'd keep just the - Hakuhodo's S103, S121G, S142, G527, G543, K004, K005, G5512BKSL, G5515BKSL, Kokutan T, B163BKSL, MAC 239, MAC 217, and Nars Yachiyo.
Hakuhodo CS is great as well. A huge shout out to Marty, he is an Hakuhodo encyclopedia, and can answer any and all of my brush questions. His insight always helps me make informed purchase decisions.

on 1/16/2012 2:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Update: Sadly it was not to be. I called the owner of te online store to ask about the sales tax issue and she very nicely and quite apologetically told me that she hadn't been able to update the website info regarding the availability of the brushes. She said that due to the recent earthquake in Japan, she doesn't know when she'll be able to get more brushes. So now I just have to wait until the Hakuhodo website restocks their inventory, and pay the increased prices. Sigh.

Previous post:
I was waiting for some Hakuhodo brushes to be re-stocked on their website when I chanced upon another website that is selling some of these brushes at 2011 prices. She doesn't carry the whole line, but I still managed to order 6 S-series and 2 K-series brushes at a savings of $101 as compared to the new 2012 prices. The website is misamakeup.com. The only concern I have is that I live in Texas and the business is in California, so I don't think I should have been charged the sales tax, so e-mailed her and I'll see what happens. It's still a good deal. Just putting the info out there in case anyone is interested. I'll update with the sales tax issue.

I got two brushes and have 5 more on its way to me. So this review is for the two brushes that I have and used.

K020
This blush brush is made of blue squirrel and is the softest brush that I have. I know that softness is something that is widely known with this brand, but softness in this brush allows for softer application of color. When I first received this brush, I felt like it was too floppy for any precise application of color on my cheeks, but after playing with it for some time, I figured out a way to distribute color softly and evenly around the apple of my cheek. Even on the website, they recommend you to use the brush in the natural direction of the brush hair. So what I like to do is get some product on the brush and sweep across my cheeks in one direction at a time. This brush really helps with blending and soft diffuse of color, so I definitely love this brush. I initially thought it to floppy but now I think it's great for certain looks.

S142
This brush is also made of blue squirrel and is extremely soft, perfect for when your eyes are a bit sensitive. I like this brush because it isn't too skinny or floppy but not too resilient either. it's a good balance in between. However, I use this brush like I use my 226 and the effortless way of diffusing color makes this brush one of my favorites. I also can't leave out the fact that this brush is beautiful to look at, with the red handle and 24k gold plated ferrule. I'd recommend this brush for anyone looking for a great blending brush.

overall, I like Hakuhodo and would go there before going to any other places for brushes

on 11/10/2011 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have 3 Hakuhodo brushes that I bought a 4 months ago and I've been using them everyday. They are excellent brushes and make makeup application so easy. Here are the ones I have:

210:
This is a dense contouring brush with a small round head, ever so slightly bigger than MAC 109. Its made of goat hair and its pretty soft. Although it would be nice to have an even softer brush such as a blue squirrel brush, the goat hairs are just the right firmness to apply contour. Anything lighter would give a more sheer application imo, and i'd rather do my makeup in less time.

G5528BkSL eye shadow brush, round:
this is a very dense, domed pencil brush made of blue squirrel. I'm glad the hairs are so soft b/c the denseness of the brush would make any other hairs too harsh on the lid. Its great for deepening your crease colour, although I'm disappointed that the tip is so rounded and blunt (which is my fault, i didn't read the description correctly, it clearly said round). Its just that the photo for the brush made the tip look pointier than it actually is. I actually wanted a smaller, pointier pencil brush to precisely apply my crease colour and define my outer-V which i can't do with this brush b/c its too broad and blunt for my small asian lid. I still use it though since it was pretty pricey at $28. I'm willing to swap this brush if anyone reading this is interested (just PM me). For my next order, I plan on getting the G5520BkSL blue squirrel/horse pointed brush instead.

S146 eyeshadow brush, round.
The picture for this blue squirrel brush is quite misleading too. I had to do many google image searches to determine that this brush is NOT pointy. It is actually a slightly smaller version of the S142, which is perfect for me b/c of my small lids. This is my favourite brush. Its very multi-functional. You could easily do a complete 3-4 colour eye look with just this one brush. My fav thing about this brush is that it doesn't hold on to your eyeshadows. What i mean is it deposits almost 100% of your product onto your lid! This is why you can use only this brush to complete an entire eye look. You just flick the bristles with your fingers to dust off any residual and dip it into your next eye colour or blend out harsh edges without depositing colour where you didn't want it. An extreme example: I used this brush to deepen my crease colour with a very dark brown. After flicking the brush off on my fingers, I dipped the same brush into my light brow highlighter and NONE of the previous dark brown transfered to my brow! Wow. This was what convinced me that high end brushes really ARE worth the investment (and these aren't all ridiculously expensive anyways).

I actually made quite the leap with Hakuhodo. Up until this first purchase, i was content with using ELF, EcoTools, and Quo brushes. With those brushes, it would take me at least 4 different brushes to do my eye makeup. My travel makeup bag actually has room for Makeup now...who would have though eh?

Tips for taking care of your Hakuhodo brushes: don't wash them. Gently swiping them across a clean paper towel is all you need to do. I keep a clean shower cap over my brushes so they don't collect dust. DO NOT use your blue squirrel eye brushes for cream eyeshadows, i read that can ruin the hairs. Goat hair brushes are okay for cream products.

I'm so excited about these brushes. I plan on getting B168BkSL water badger eyebrow brush, B133BkSL Canadian squirrel round flat eyeshadow brush, and the G5542BkSL blue squirrel/goat angled powder brush, and the K020 blue squirrel blush brush. They all look so decadent and i can't wait to try them!

on 10/30/2011 11:17:00 AM

I have three Hakuhodo eyeshadow brushes--the quality is fabulous.

I plan to write a longer review at some point, but, for now, I couldn't resist the temptation to respond to the woman who keeps posting inane reviews here.

I see you like Cover Girl's Lash Blast! That's a fantastic mascara. You know that Proctor and Gamble, the company that owns Cover Girl, tests on animals, right? Imagine an adorable kitty with caustic chemicals being poured into his eyes. That's not a pretty sight, is it? So let me try to get to the root of your vociferous hypocrisy: you aren't for killing animals, only for having them agonize for the sake of your eyelashes?

Popular Makeup Brushes