John Frieda Go Blonder Lightening Conditioner

3.8

Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Lactic Acid, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Matricaria), Citrus Medica Limonium Peel Extract (Lemon), Helianthus Annuus Seed Extract (Sunflower), Vitis Vinifera Juice Extract (Grape), Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape), Dimethiconol, PEG 14M, Amodimethicone, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Tocopherol, Trideceth 12, Propylene Glycol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Alcohol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance, Yellow 5

on 3/11/2012 11:41:00 AM

My new favorite line!!!! Hands down. I am a natural blonde, and not only does it help keep my roots in check (they grow in darker than the ends due to sun exposure), it makes my hair extremely soft and manageable. Added bonus! Love!!

Update 3/21: Ok, I still love this product for what it does for my HAIR, but what it does for my SCALP is another issue. After using this product for about 10 days, my scalp has become itchy, and almost feels like there are sores all over my head (there are not, I had my husband inspect, but that's just how it feels to me). I am going to discontinue for a week and see what happens. I don't know if it is an allergic reaction or what, but nothing else in my hair routine has changed. I am not the allergy-sensitve type, so I am more than a little confused by this....

on 2/9/2012 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Very average, didn't notice any difference with it, not very moisturizing, a little better than the shampoo, I am going to try Renew conditioner next, I hope I have better luck with it, keeping dark beige blonde pretty is like a full time job since my natural color is dark brown.

on 12/11/2011 12:09:00 AM

Color me surprised.

I bought this, hugely skeptical, as I've been using John Frieda blonding products off and on for years with little to no result. Well, this one has changed my mind, totally and completely. It works! I saw results in one use; I'm not kidding. Even my husband (who does not normally notice such things) saw that my hair looked lighter after the first time I used it.

Background: In my younger years, I had golden blonde, honey-colored hair. It got darker, the underside becoming a mousy light brown as I got older. I got highlights only one time, about 6 months ago. Since it was my first time, I deliberately went for something nondramatic, which would blend in with the color of the un-highlighted hair. The highlights looked good, but I was still disappointed. What I really wanted was an overall "lift" to all of my hair, without bleaching. This product makes that happen.

It doesn't color your hair; the best description I can give is that it lightens the lighter strands--for me, the highlights--more, and gives that lift in color to the rest. It's gradual; I've been using it for a week now, and the color change isn't dramatic, which I like. If it were the summer, it would like I've spent a lot of time on the beach. I am more than happy with this--way cheaper than highlights, since I spent less than $5 on it. I bought the shampoo today, so I'm looking forward to seeing if that speeds up the process. But I can say that if you're like me, a former blonde that naturally turned into a light brown, and looking for a lift without coloring, go for it.

Caveats: Yes, it is hard to wash out. I find that after rinsing thoroughly for several minutes, including in cooler water, it still feels like there's product left in my hair. I finally decided I couldn't spend any more time trying to rid my hair of that feeling (have to get to work!), so, when water squeezed from my hair looks clear, I have to say that's enough, and I find that it is. My hair doesn't look greasy, even if I'm not getting the squeaky clean feeling I'm used to when rinsing out other products. Really, it's a small sacrifice because: this works! I totally recommend trying this; even if it doesn't work for you, it's such a small investment.

Update: A year and a half later, I'm still buying this. I don't condition my hair every time I wash (see my review on Dove Noutrishing Oil for the days I don't use this) but this has made a noticeable difference in the lightening of my mousy blonde hair, in conjunction with the Go Blonder! shampoo. I still have the same issues where it takes forever to rinse out, so I've learned to use it sparingly and mostly on the bottom half/not scalp if I'm in a hurry.

on 7/28/2011 3:14:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I love this conditioner. I have very thick, straight hair that has a lot of natural highlights. The shampoo and conditioner keep my hair from picking up deposits and looking brassy while enhancing the colour and making it really shiny. I use this every 3 days and I never get split ends or damage.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Amazing! I naturally have dark blonde hair and I bleach it to a lighter blonde most of the time. This helped blend in my roots to the lower parts of my hair. Noticed a difference after several days of use. Nothing drastic, but my hair just looked brighter and my natural highlights popped! Around 5-6 dollars at Target. Worth the money! Leaves my hair silky and smooth. Definitely use with the shampoo! Will be buying again and again :)

on 6/8/2011 7:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I frikking love this line! see review for shampoo for more details. The conditioner is lightweight, doesnt build up, volumizes, hydrates adequately, softens, delivers highlights and SHHHINNNE! Gonna put it out there: my hair is amazing! In large part to using this for 2 years, unfortunately i require more moisture so have to alternate this poo and dish with another line, if only i could reap the benefits of this every wash.

Edit: still loving. i switched up to more moisturising conditioners for a while (gvp balm, triple mega moist, ethnic hair stuff, co-wash) once my hair got past waist but noticed that my hair had no body and less swoosh when i walked. I'm switching back to using this every other wash.

Edit 2: no longer a fave of mine. I's simply not moisturizing enough and contains far too much cone percentage (which is common with JF products). If I washed every day or had fine hair I'd still love it. It's a good conditioner but times have changed, better formulas exist, more general knowledge about haircare is available.

on 5/30/2011 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is an excellent conditioner that I use with the Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo and Go Blonder Lighting Spray. I can tell a difference in my salon highlights after only 2 to 3 uses! This should make my highlights last longer between salon visits. I highly recommend!

on 5/18/2011 3:20:00 PM

I've been using this product in conjunction with the lightening spray and the enhancing shampoo for darker blondes (they were out of the shampoo that went with this conditioner). I've used them 4 times and already notice a pretty drastic difference (and other people who didn't know I was trying to lighten my hair noticed too). On top of making my hair look blonder (it's reddish blond, but in the summer, the red really bugs me because if I get sweaty, it looks dull) it makes it appear shinier, which I am a fan of.

Also, I think the smell is really nice.

I will say it takes a lot of extra rinsing to get the conditioner all the way out of my hair.

on 4/16/2011 7:26:00 AM

Ok conditioner, not great. Leaves a film on my hair (not as bad as the shampoo though).

on 4/13/2011 4:46:00 PM

it does nothing. I had used the lightening gel that was discontinued a few years ago and was hoping this would lighten my hair a bit. It does nothing, aside from make my hair oily. I have used about half the bottle and use it in conjunction with the shampoo, and even leave both on for a few minutes, but it's a worthless product.