John Frieda Go Blonder Lightening Conditioner

3.8

Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Lactic Acid, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Matricaria), Citrus Medica Limonium Peel Extract (Lemon), Helianthus Annuus Seed Extract (Sunflower), Vitis Vinifera Juice Extract (Grape), Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape), Dimethiconol, PEG 14M, Amodimethicone, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Tocopherol, Trideceth 12, Propylene Glycol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Alcohol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance, Yellow 5

on 12/11/2011 12:09:00 AM

Color me surprised.

I bought this, hugely skeptical, as I've been using John Frieda blonding products off and on for years with little to no result. Well, this one has changed my mind, totally and completely. It works! I saw results in one use; I'm not kidding. Even my husband (who does not normally notice such things) saw that my hair looked lighter after the first time I used it.

Background: In my younger years, I had golden blonde, honey-colored hair. It got darker, the underside becoming a mousy light brown as I got older. I got highlights only one time, about 6 months ago. Since it was my first time, I deliberately went for something nondramatic, which would blend in with the color of the un-highlighted hair. The highlights looked good, but I was still disappointed. What I really wanted was an overall "lift" to all of my hair, without bleaching. This product makes that happen.

It doesn't color your hair; the best description I can give is that it lightens the lighter strands--for me, the highlights--more, and gives that lift in color to the rest. It's gradual; I've been using it for a week now, and the color change isn't dramatic, which I like. If it were the summer, it would like I've spent a lot of time on the beach. I am more than happy with this--way cheaper than highlights, since I spent less than $5 on it. I bought the shampoo today, so I'm looking forward to seeing if that speeds up the process. But I can say that if you're like me, a former blonde that naturally turned into a light brown, and looking for a lift without coloring, go for it.

Caveats: Yes, it is hard to wash out. I find that after rinsing thoroughly for several minutes, including in cooler water, it still feels like there's product left in my hair. I finally decided I couldn't spend any more time trying to rid my hair of that feeling (have to get to work!), so, when water squeezed from my hair looks clear, I have to say that's enough, and I find that it is. My hair doesn't look greasy, even if I'm not getting the squeaky clean feeling I'm used to when rinsing out other products. Really, it's a small sacrifice because: this works! I totally recommend trying this; even if it doesn't work for you, it's such a small investment.

Update: A year and a half later, I'm still buying this. I don't condition my hair every time I wash (see my review on Dove Noutrishing Oil for the days I don't use this) but this has made a noticeable difference in the lightening of my mousy blonde hair, in conjunction with the Go Blonder! shampoo. I still have the same issues where it takes forever to rinse out, so I've learned to use it sparingly and mostly on the bottom half/not scalp if I'm in a hurry.

on 7/28/2011 3:14:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I love this conditioner. I have very thick, straight hair that has a lot of natural highlights. The shampoo and conditioner keep my hair from picking up deposits and looking brassy while enhancing the colour and making it really shiny. I use this every 3 days and I never get split ends or damage.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Amazing! I naturally have dark blonde hair and I bleach it to a lighter blonde most of the time. This helped blend in my roots to the lower parts of my hair. Noticed a difference after several days of use. Nothing drastic, but my hair just looked brighter and my natural highlights popped! Around 5-6 dollars at Target. Worth the money! Leaves my hair silky and smooth. Definitely use with the shampoo! Will be buying again and again :)

on 6/8/2011 7:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I frikking love this line! see review for shampoo for more details. The conditioner is lightweight, doesnt build up, volumizes, hydrates adequately, softens, delivers highlights and SHHHINNNE! Gonna put it out there: my hair is amazing! In large part to using this for 2 years, unfortunately i require more moisture so have to alternate this poo and dish with another line, if only i could reap the benefits of this every wash.

Edit: still loving. i switched up to more moisturising conditioners for a while (gvp balm, triple mega moist, ethnic hair stuff, co-wash) once my hair got past waist but noticed that my hair had no body and less swoosh when i walked. I'm switching back to using this every other wash.

Edit 2: no longer a fave of mine. I's simply not moisturizing enough and contains far too much cone percentage (which is common with JF products). If I washed every day or had fine hair I'd still love it. It's a good conditioner but times have changed, better formulas exist, more general knowledge about haircare is available.

on 5/30/2011 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is an excellent conditioner that I use with the Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo and Go Blonder Lighting Spray. I can tell a difference in my salon highlights after only 2 to 3 uses! This should make my highlights last longer between salon visits. I highly recommend!

on 5/18/2011 3:20:00 PM

I've been using this product in conjunction with the lightening spray and the enhancing shampoo for darker blondes (they were out of the shampoo that went with this conditioner). I've used them 4 times and already notice a pretty drastic difference (and other people who didn't know I was trying to lighten my hair noticed too). On top of making my hair look blonder (it's reddish blond, but in the summer, the red really bugs me because if I get sweaty, it looks dull) it makes it appear shinier, which I am a fan of.

Also, I think the smell is really nice.

I will say it takes a lot of extra rinsing to get the conditioner all the way out of my hair.

on 4/16/2011 7:26:00 AM

Ok conditioner, not great. Leaves a film on my hair (not as bad as the shampoo though).

on 4/13/2011 4:46:00 PM

it does nothing. I had used the lightening gel that was discontinued a few years ago and was hoping this would lighten my hair a bit. It does nothing, aside from make my hair oily. I have used about half the bottle and use it in conjunction with the shampoo, and even leave both on for a few minutes, but it's a worthless product.

on 4/10/2011 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Like my previous review for the shampoo, I bought this because I had salon highlights that turned out a little dark golden blonde. I liked the color a lot, but I wanted a more brighter blonde.

I really like this conditioner a lot. I saw results in about 2 uses. I haven't used it the 3rd time only because I didn't want my hair to lighten too much. Thats how good this product is. My sister is using the go blonder spray, and she says she loves it. Her hair turned a nice golden honey color. She has natural golden brown hair, the kind everyone would love to have lol. Not me, my hair is ash brown like I dunno a mouse lol.

But the other thing I love about this conditioner is how great it makes my hair look. I got a compliment from my boyfriends mom, who hardly says nice things (lol), she said that my hair looked so healthy. I was like thanks. This was around the second time I used this. I have to say I agree with her because my hair feels silky and smooth and a little thicker. The only time my hair has felt like this, was when I was using Aveeno Nourish Leave-in conditioner spray. I remember the main ingredient was Behentrimonium Methosulfate, and I looked at the back of my John Frieda go blonder conditoner, and sure enough behentrimonium chloride was listed, which is a cheaper version. So I am thinking, my hair really loves those 2 ingredients.

Overall I will continue to use this only sometimes, I don't want my hair to get too light and will interchange with my regular shamp & condish. I really hope they don't discontinue these products. They are really good!

on 3/15/2011 1:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This has become the only conditioner I use, and I am a shampoo/conditioner hoarder. I like to try various products and rotate them. The first time I used this I noticed a difference. It made my blonde look brighter and "sun-kissed". After a couple more uses, it lightened my blonde a moderate amount and has maintained with that level of lightening ever since. I wouldn't say that it will continually lighten over the time you use it. It reaches a plataeu, which I am ok with. The main reason I love this is so much is how it brightens my blonde. I've tried all sorts of shampoos, conditioners and treatments made for blondes, and NOTHING brightens my blonde like this. My only fear: it being discontinued. I've never seen a product like this elsewhere.

Top Rated John Frieda Products