November 27, 2014 | 1304 users online

Mascara - Smashbox - Lash DNA

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2011 11:47:00 AM More reviews by 2000wattsmile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am well on my way to loving this mascara. It makes my lashes look so full, black and thick! I don't really care for the brush--it does make application a bit awkward, but it's manageable. It also held up through an hour long workout, which is pretty impressive given that it's not waterproof. Good stuff. UPDATE: This began to flake off into my eyes after so many hours. (Same issue I had with Voluminous). Probably not a good choice for contact lens wearers like me. Deducting a lippie.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2011 7:29:00 PM More reviews by productaholica

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

OK, so I'm in the minority here but I totally love this mascara! I have to agree that the brush is tricky and you can get smudgies all over your lids if you're not careful but my eyes are large and wide so I haven't had any issues. I can add several coats without clumps and it thickens and lengthens my lashes so they almost look 'falsie'. This formula lasts and lasts so I have to take extra care in removing it with my Deep Cleansing Oil. I would definitely - and will - repurchase!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2011 12:34:00 AM More reviews by rallu

The brush is very awkward, thick at the tip which makes it very difficult to apply mascara on my inner corner lashes. It doesn't give me any volume or length either. It was a Sephora VIP gift so I didn't feel bad when I threw it away.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2011 7:41:00 AM More reviews by tabloid

This is terrible! The weirdly-shaped brush (designed like a DNA spiral) is very difficult to work with and I have a hard time applying the mascara. Once on, it does little more than darken my lashes; it doesn't make them thicker or longer, and definitely doesn't add a curl.
The only plus (which is why I gave this product two lippies instead of one) is that it doesn't smudge or flake on me.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/5/2011 6:07:00 PM More reviews by tinab123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I received a sample of this in Sephora's 500pt VIB bonus.

Here's the breakdown of the day I tried it:

The bristles are layed out in a twist, like a DNA strand. Figured out to roll the wand in order to prevent globs of mascara from being deposited on my lashes.

It didn't really do a whole heck of a lot for me. No curling, no lengthening, not much thickening. It is *very* dark though. After 5 minutes, my lashes were still wet. I do not have the time or patience to be waiting around for my lashes to dry.

As the day went on, pieces of mascara kept flaking off into my eyes. Yes, that's right, what originally wouldn't dry, ended up drying so much that it fell off.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/30/2011 9:51:00 PM More reviews by kromo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Brush is too big to maneuver and leaves a big mess! Every application I had to clean up lid and under eye area simply because brush is too big. Very "wet" formula so it does not keep the curl for those of us that have to curl before application.
Black pigment is nice and comparable to Diorshow blackout, but cannot get over the mess. Also leaves smudges in the under eye area...raccoon eyes!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/27/2011 4:19:00 PM More reviews by tamidarling

I was really excited upon receiving this item - but then completely aggravated! Every swipe of the mascara resulted in a mess. Fallout, clumping, etc. Very disappointed in a Smashbox product being so lousy!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2011 4:26:00 AM More reviews by Hamstershell

I got this in a set (bought Sephora's box of recommended mascaras), took one look at the brush and thought "how da **** am I suppose to work this???". The brush is huge, but the bristles are short. The brush is designed to shape like the DNA twist, but seriously this makes no sense when trying to apply mascara on eye lashes, because no one's eyelids are twisted like this. It is really frustrating for me as I have short sparse lashes (asian) and hooded lids, theformula does not dry quick, so during application, I can not avoid smudging unless I use a card against my eye lids. The formula is also quite heavy, so it weighs down the curl and it does note lengthen. I am so glad that I did not buy the full size one cos this is really expensive too.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/26/2011 12:42:00 AM More reviews by ainat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

The brush is completely impractical. I have never seen anything so huge - and I have used both DiorShow & Benefit Bad Gal. It was very difficult to apply without getting it all over my eyes.

Unfortunately it started smudging 10 minutes after I applied it, and it continue to get worse and worse through out the day. I had raccoon eyes and I think some of it got into my eyes, they were itchy and runny by the time I got home.

This mascara was an epic fail for me!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/25/2011 9:42:00 AM More reviews by kmennie

The first thing I thought when I opened this was 'Brush suitable for ruminants' and I was unable to get that thought out of my head for the short while I had this before tossing it.

The brush is ENORMOUS, and does nothing of benefit for its stupid size. If you were trying to pretty up a cow it would probably be just right, but. Really not worth messing with this...mess. The mascara itself was pretty gloppy. Fail. First time I've been disappointed by Smashbox.