December 19, 2014 | 1452 users online

Liquid - Giorgio Armani - Lasting Silk UV Foundation SPF20

rated 1 of 5 on 8/23/2013 8:35:00 PM More reviews by leilei465

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had very high hopes for this foundation as it has been critically acclaimed and recommended by so many. Unfortunately, this foundation has come up short for me and is by far the worst luxury brand foundation I've ever used. The $60 price tag might as well be for the Armani name and not even the product itself.

To start off, the packaging is lackluster at best. There might as well be an "on sale for $3.99" sticker plastered over it. Though I would choose product performance over packaging, obviously; there is no doubt that the cosmetic industry, especially in marketing, relies heavily on aesthetics. The bottle is glass though it looks like plastic, and the Armani name is barely visible. It has a glittery finish that makes it appear as if the foundation is glittery, which I have no idea why the designers found that necessary.

The foundation smells like bathroom cleaner in the bottle, fortunately the scent wears off once it is applied to the skin. The consistency is nothing unique, and the coverage is so sheer! Usually, for any foundation, one pump is enough for my entire face, and if I need a bit more coverage I will apply a colored powder over it. This is the first foundation I've had to use two pumps, and even with a layer of pressed powder foundation, every single spot was visible on my face. If I were to say one good thing about this product, it's that it does have a matte finish so this is one of the few foundations I've tried where powder to control shine is truly unnecessary.

As for the longevity of this foundation throughout the day, it does absolutely nothing for the skin (I have normal skin) so if it wore off it's not like it'd make a difference anyway. However, it does seem to stay on for a few hours and control oil as well.

Pros: matte, oil control

Cons: absolutely ZERO coverage, limited shade range (especially for those with darker skin)

Summary: I absolutely loathe this foundation - it's hands down the worst I've ever used. It's a waste of money and I do not recommend it to anyone. There are so many better foundations on the market, at this price point and even much lower.

Note: Keep in mind that if you are buying from Nordstrom online, the bottle pictured is not the kind of bottle you will receive. Initially, I thought they sent me the wrong product. I had to go through hell and back to finally get ahold of this foundation through Nordstrom, so for that reason alone I'm not going to go through the hassle of returning it.

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2013 11:03:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

I don't normally spend $60 on a foundation, but I felt like splurging and got this during the F&F sale. Sadly, this foundation just doesn't cut it for me. My skin is combo/oily right now and I have a lot of old acne scars that are taking their good 'ole time fading away.

The reasons I didn't like this foundation:
1. light-medium coverage: this is not a bad thing, it just wasn't what I was looking for right now. Does not cover acne scars at all.
2. too 'glowy': All of the reviews I've read, as well as the product description per the GA Beauty site say this is a satin-matte finish, but I had to blot my face even before setting it with powder.
3. zero lasting power: on my skin, this lasts about a whole 3 hours, no exaggeration whatsoever. I wear L'Oreal Miracle Blur as a primer and have tried setting this with various powders but I cannot get past a mere 3-4 hours of wear. GA Beauty indicates this wears for 14 hours! Whaaaa?
4. pricey: again, $60 for a foundation is quite a good chunk-of-change. For that amount of money, I expected a lot more.

What I did like about it:
1. color: The swatches online all looked too cool-toned for me, but I did a lot of resarch and settled on #6. This is an absolutely perfect shade for my NC30 skintone.
2. application: blends in very easily and quickly. one slight negative is that it doesn't layer well and becomes streaky if you try to apply a second layer. Waiting between layers might help a bit.
3. no breakouts: liquid foundations from DS to HE have a tendency to break me out. I haven't yet isolated exactly which ingredient does this, but I'm happy to say I had no issues with this one.

This will be returned as I can in no way justify keeping this expensive foundation. I really wanted it to work as I've been struggling to find something that gives me a decent amount of coverage, doesn't break me out and lasts for at least 8-9 hours.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2013 11:47:00 AM More reviews by shiningangela

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best foundation I've ever tried!
I have oily skin, I don't have problems with dry flakes on my skin so I don't know if it can accentuate those. But for my skin, it looks, feels and wears beautifully. I'm using the color #4, which is a light shade with yellow-undertone. It's a bit too light for me now in the summer, but it's not orange so it's good and more forgiving. It doesn't make me look like a ghost, it just makes my face look brighter than my body, and I like it.

The texture is very thin and runny. It feels lightweight on the skin and blends easily. In spite of the thin texture, it's opaque so it covers really well. I would say medium to full coverage. It totally covers my redness, dark spots and it blurs large pores exceptionally well. And it leaves my skin looking naturally fresh, not too matte or flat, not too dewy. It's just a really flawless finish. This is what sets it apart from my other foundations.

After it sets, it doesn't feel heavy or sticky on the skin, which I like very much. And it wears really well through out the day too. I don't have to set it with a powder and after 8 hours, my skin still looks good. 95% of the coverage is still there, on my face. And I'm talking about wearing this foundation in hot, humid summer days. It's like over 100 degrees here in where I live, my skin gets oily really quickly, I sweat alot because I don't work/study in an air-conditioned environment. But at the end of the day, this foundation doesn't melt off. It fades a little bit, but it fades smoothly and evenly. It just looks good.

One thing I have to mention that the oil-control is not that good, I don't think this foundation is meant to control oil well so I didn't expect it to do that. But even when the oil comes through my makeup, the foundation doesn't seperate or melt off. I can just blot off the oil and I look like I just applied my makeup. That's how good this foundation is.

I know it's expensive, but it's worth it. It's one of those expensive products that are actually great and worth the money. I'd recommend this foundation to any skin type. It's gonna be HG material for me in cooler weather. I can still wear it in the summer, in fact, I've been wearing it non stop, but I wish it were better at oil-controlling, then it'd be my HG foundation all year round.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by s70princess

This is a 4.5/5 product for me. I have acne prone combo skin that leans towards the oily side, NC 20/25 asian skintone with strong yellow undertones. I have used GA’s Luminous Silk Foundation on and off over the years, but would stray all the time because I tend to prefer something with a bit more coverage and longer lasting (especially during hormonal breakouts). This foundation is exactly the solution for me, it gives much better coverage than LSF and lasts longer on my skin than LSF. My best match is a mix of 4.5 and 5.5, but I can get away with just 4.5 (I initially bought shade 4 sight unseen thinking it was the same as the LSF shades but it is lighter than the 4 in LSF, the #4 in this foundation is closer to NC15/20). This foundation isn’t matte in finish, but leaves rather a luminous semi-matte kind of finish. When I wear this over a primer and set it with powder, it lasts relatively well compared to most liquid foundations I have tried. It isn’t oil-controlling nor does it claim to be, but at least it doesn’t make my oily skin worse either. My only gripe about this foundation is that it contains quite a bit of titanium dioxide so it is not photo-friendly – I wear this foundation often and the times when I have had my photo taken while wearing this, I get ghost-face in all the photos :( Regardless, I still love this product and always reach for this foundation the most out of the many foundations I own – I just try to avoid reaching for it if I know I might be taking photos that day. If this foundation came in an SPF-free version, it would come close to a HG for me. I am almost finished my 2nd bottle and will definitely repurchase when I run out.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2013 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Harsimran1324

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My relationship with this foundation is complicated. First off, I am around the NC 35-37 shade. It was very difficult to find a shade match (which has never been an issue for me). I had to settle for shade 6.5 which was slightly more pink and lighter than I am used to.

On certain days, it gives my skin an ashy / gray appearance but on other days, it makes my skin glow. I figured out that when I mixed this foundation with another foundation (to even out my complexion), it would give me this awful gray cast.

I decided to use this as my winter foundation since using it alone gives me a luminosity that my skin lacks in the colder weather.

It slightly accentuates my dry patches around my nose in the winter so I just have to be careful.

I don't like the pump. It's very low quality because it just gets dirty too easily. Doesn't control the amount dispensed very well.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2013 4:50:00 AM More reviews by sitknee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm N20-NC25, pretty yellow. I have a decent match with a mixture of 4.5 and 5.5 (5 will not work, as it's pink). For reference, these shades do not directly correlate with luminous silk colors. Also, there's some debate on which colors are yellow undertones and which are pink. Ime, it seems like the half numbers are yellow.

When you apply it, it looks gorgeous. It doesn't get cakey even when you layer, and it has a slightly dewy, slightly matte finish. Very easy for achieving beautiful, natural looks. Coverage can go up to around medium.

Unfortunately, this just does not last on my oily skin, even when I buff it in and powder. Just 30 minutes after applying it to my face, I was already getting oily. Lasting power and oil control do not cut it. That's not okay, and especially not for something that's $59.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2012 12:44:00 AM More reviews by JosephineC

I really like this foundation, and after a sample I just bought my first bottle. Lasts all day on my oily, sensitive skin and looks super natural. Much better than the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk than wears super fast and more natural/ liquid than chanel perfection lumiere.Still get oily but its the best I've found so far. I use my fingers, and just one pump! (And I was able to find a perfect color match=awesome)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2012 7:07:00 AM More reviews by coocheecoo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have tried so many foundations, but there are so many out there really do enhance your lines, which is not what any of us want at any age.

I love this foundation, you need the tiniest amount and it just blends effortlessly, it gives my skin a subtle glow and I don't feel like I am wearing anything. I don't wear any powder over the top, but primer and it stays all day; saying that I have normal skin, so can't quote on other skin types. I apply then blend with the Shiseido foundation brush, which is amazing.

I am medium skin tone and when I went to Selfridges in Manchester the chap there said my ideal colour would be a 7, I thought this would be far too dark, but purchased, he was indeed correct, in the winter months when my skin goes lighter I will purchase a lighter shade and blend both.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2012 8:35:00 AM More reviews by ecek

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

First of all this product is really expensive. But it do its job well. It is a very liquid foundation like a water? and provide you perfect finish. It is not matte foundation it makes your skin glowing without shine. It look like your natural skin.but it is a little bit tricky to figure out how to apply. first you apply water based moisturizer then you pumped up the foundation on your hand and spray something like mac fix plus. after that I apply 2 different ways to apply it first I wet my 187 brush with fix plus and dabbed in to skin with circular motions.It provide an airbrushed look . If I am out of time after I mix mac fix plus and foundation ,with my fingers I put it on to my nose area then forehead cheeks and chin. Then spread it out with my beauty blender. It provide a natural looking.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2012 4:35:00 PM More reviews by loonylou

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a teenager suffering from acne and oily skin. I usually go for matte foundation, not because i like the finish, but i thought it was better for my very oily skin. Until i found this. The finish is BEAUTIFUL and the silky liquid glides easily over my imperfections and red cheeks, making my skin look almost doll like! I use it over smashbox primer and under chanel compact powder which i love! For the first time in my life i can look in a mirror and not cringe when i see my skin! i do have to touch up with powder once or twice but normally i can leave it for a while as the oil with this foundation makes my skin look dewy instead of a greasy oil slick! Definately preferable! The colour range is good as i have very pale skin and it matches perfectly! Overall i would say that this foundation is gorgous! Beautiful finish, lasting power and coverage is easily buildable( but i do sometimes have to add a little concealer). What else can i say... I LOVE YOU!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No