July 28, 2014 | 2007 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2014 11:24:00 PM More reviews by laflawyer

I like the consistency of this moisturizer and how it makes my skin feel, but it smells like wet dog! If it wasn't for the nasty smell I'd be a fan.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/2/2014 2:34:00 PM More reviews by ChristyMakeup3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

More like junk in a jar, look at the ingredients, they are just a smodge podge of a bunch of ingredients it didn't do anything special for my skin and i know of so many other moisturizers that actually work.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by bflytilidy

What a dreadful product. I've honestly never liked Philosophy, but have been hearing more and more about them, so I thought maybe I was too quick to judge in the past. So I went out and purchased Hope in a Jar and the Purity Made Simple One-Step Cleanser (see separate review) and I was beyond disappointed by both. Hope in a Jar is just that... Hope. But disappointment. Reminds me of how I get psyched up for a date that promises to be amazing, and I'm left wondering afterwards how I will regain those couple hours of my life. This "moisturizer" dried out my combination skin to the point of peeling, itching, and breakouts. Now that I'm a bit older, I only breakout from two things: 1) hormonal changes at a very particular time of the month; and, 2) crappy products. This also comes in a jar (WTF) so it is completely unsanitary and a pain in the #&@ to use. Oh and the smell... the smell! Am I dying my hair or moisturizing? This is going back to the store today with the Purity Cleanser, as well as all the freebies I was given by Philosophy, I don't even want those! Back to using my current HG - Devita Age Perfecting Moisturizer.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/19/2014 9:39:00 PM More reviews by Shaylynn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have fairly normal skin nowadays. Not sensitive, dry, oily, etc. As far as acne, I get tiny blackheads and occasionally a breakout of whiteheads. But this stuff, dear lord. I had zits that turned red and itched! It looked like I had mosquito bites all over my face after I'd been using this product morning and night for two days. Never again. Maybe I'll use the rest as a hand lotion.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 4:34:00 PM More reviews by jocox88

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this product since becoming a Philosophy girl about 12 years ago (through an infomercial). I really can't count how many jars of this stuff (2 oz and 4 oz.) that I have been through. I now use Philosophy's Miracle Worker line at night, but Hope in a Jar is my daytime moisturizer. This is the first moisturizer that I have used consistently without having it break me out. It seemed that anything I was using prior to this, afer 6 to 8 months, it just wouldnt work any more -- i.e. clogged pores and breakouts. I let my sister use this one time when we were traveling and she forgot night cream -- she thought it smelled awful! However, the next morning she was amazed at how soft her face was (she is 13 years older than me).

rated 1 of 5 on 3/12/2014 4:07:00 PM More reviews by icymatrix

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The smell drives me CRAZY !! YUCK....

I just could not get past the smell... its like rotten egg or something... Reminds me of my chemical lab :(

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2014 3:43:00 PM More reviews by shadowemily

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Honestly, I am lucky that I just got a sample size of it. I think it would be a waste if I bought the full size. For moisturizing, yes it does, but not enough. At the moment I try it, my skin was devastated by the weather change; it was very dry. (I do have oily skin at usual moments.) This moisturizer didn't work on my skin, it was still dry and patchy. I think it would be enough for my skin when it goes back to oily. So if you have dry skin, you might found it not moisturizing enough. Also, it is somewhat irritating on sensitive skin. For the smell, URGGGGH! It is the most foul-smelled skin care product I have ever encountered. I don't know how to describe it precisely, I would say it smells like chemistry lesson gone wild with explosion occured. I know the brand sells professional-like beauty products, which has no fragrance added...but Philosophy please! Unscented doesn't mean you can let it smells bad! It ends up being ignored in my bathroom and eventually disappeared, might have been dropped into somewhere behind the basin or thrown away. =\

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2014 4:32:00 AM More reviews by bigbadpanda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm actually surprised to see all the negative reviews on here. Maybe I'm just lucky that this product agrees with my skin? I absolutely love this moisturizer. It's nice and whipped and sinks right into my skin and makes it super soft. The smell isn't exactly the best but it isn't unpleasant in my opinion. But I appreciate that rather than using a heavily perfumed moisturizer. I use this every night after cleansing my face and the next morning my skin feels nice and hydrated. I do have to say that I don't have acne prone or sensitive skin. Maybe that's why this product agrees with me.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2014 9:54:00 AM More reviews by Dillinger

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Im now on my second pot of this. I think the smell is slightly strange but to be honest the scent of a decent facial moisturiser isn't a factor for me when buying a quality product, and why add things that aren't needed? I treated myself recently and had a splurge on some Philosophy items, I think they work well together and compliment each other. My skin looks wonderful for using Philosophy products, and Ive tried allsorts!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/16/2014 4:05:00 AM More reviews by beautyqueen888

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

This smells like bleach or something nasty. The smell lingers and burns my eyes, how disgusting for a face cream! Never smelled anything so nasty in a cream, unbelievable...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No