April 24, 2014 | 988 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Excellence To Go Hair Color

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2010 1:11:00 PM More reviews by Templej

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I chose a shade (6R-Light Auburn) very close my natural color just to cover some gray, and ended up with a bright burgundy color instead. My son asked me why I colored my hair purple! This is the worst hair color product I have ever used and will definitely NOT buy this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/17/2010 3:46:00 PM More reviews by caseygirl1102

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Have to agree with the last two reviews. I had light auburn/brownish hair with blonde streaks and thought I'd do my roots with "light auburn". Well it turned them this deep red burgundy/ auburn color, so I had to go back and do the rest of my head. Thank god the color is uniform but it's this very dark auburn color. Now will have to pay to have it fixed at the salon.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/25/2010 3:20:00 AM More reviews by sicemtrace

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Amberbella said exactly what I was thinking! I had gorgeous light red hair (dyed) a la Christina Hendricks and just wanted to touch up my medium brown roots and refresh the color. I've dyed my hair for 12 years now, so I know the drill. I left on for ten minutes, and bam, BURGUNDY hair. WTF?! I have no idea how to fade this without using Color Oops and starting over, or going to a salon. Next time, I'll stick with Clairol Perfect 10 in Light Auburn. This is terrible.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2010 12:15:00 AM More reviews by amberbella

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm SO sad. I recently started coloring my hair red again after a 7 year hiatus. I'd tried three colors over the last several months and finally the last time, I got the PERFECT color. Sadly, I had an allergic reaction to the brand of hair dye that gave me the perfect color, so I decided to try this brand of the exact same color....light auburn.

BIG MISTAKE!!! This color was WAY too dark and now my hair looks an unnatural shade of burgandy instead of a lovely natural red. I'm just so so so irritated!

I think that perhaps L'Oreal made this product to encourage sales of their Color Oops product which I plan to purchase and use tomorrow!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2010 1:13:00 PM More reviews by cguillau

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am giving this product two stars but only because of the convenience of a 10 minute hair color. Other than that, I have nothing good to say about this hair color. It did not cover my grays even though I left in on for 20 minutes instead of 10, and after two days my hair is brittle and has no shine or texture like it did before I used this stuff. I'm going back to L'Oreal Excellence regular formula. At least my grays will stay covered for 3 weeks instead of 2 days.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2010 10:28:00 PM More reviews by treyscrap

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

The color on this came out very true to the box and what I was expecting. I got a level lighter than I actually planned since home dyes always come out dark on me. BUT... this stuff caused my hair to break off and now I've got little frizzy pieces everywhere!!! Not happy. I've been using box dyes for a long time and I followed the instructions exactly. Never again with this stuff!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2010 12:15:00 AM More reviews by krissym

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Maybe it's because I used the #3, a dark brown that I didn't have a bad experience with this product. I was also very careful to only leave it in for the recommended time. I usually use the normal Excellence haircolor, but I probably will buy this again. My hair was in good condition afterwards, it seemed almost better than when using the original product maybe because of the reduced time. I liked the fact you didn't have to sit around waiting for the color to develop.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2009 12:29:00 PM More reviews by Susie31

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

hi:) I had to review this, I know how much help it would have been to me..... I was doing color correcting...I was a deep red wanting to go ash blonde,very difficult.
I used color oops first which made me a yellow-orange medium blonde with my very dark ash blonde roots (maybe a very light ash brown) color oops leaves roots unaffected...
I wanted all red orange tones out... so I used excellence color to go in medium ASH blonde..here is tricky part...EVERY STORE BOUGHT "medium ash blonde" INCLUDING the REGULAR Loreal excellence medium ash blonde is the VIOLET-grayish ash base which is what I WANT... I ONLY like the "violet" ash
well for some reason L'oreal decided to make the 10 minute to go excellence the GREEN based ash! (which is usually in "dark ash blonde" so.... its "ok" it came out all even and ASH but definately more of a DARK ash (greenish but NOT bad) blonde..more like a super light brown/dark blonde "teakwood" color
I find this product SUPERIOR because I have NEVER gone from that orange to THIS "ash" in my life! no matter what i do..my hair stays orange and this knocked it all out.
and I really did only time for just 10 minutes! so its an awesome product...my hair is shiny. not damaged.
so I recommend this highly for color corrections! :)
it is NOT GREEN, not even in the light! its just my eye is "sensitive" to undertones, I seek them out and was able to "tell" that it was indeed the green "based" ash rather than the violet hope thishelps!!!
so now I know... to try the LIGHT ASH BLONDE to probably get the "medium ash blonde" result! perhaps the light ash is the violet based, I know I can just call and ask.
dont think because its "10" minute..youll get less intense results the fact is, as most all have stated HERE in reviews..its the OPPOSITE..in fact you get deeper darker and MORE intense results because the color knows it has less time to impart color! if that makes any sense, hope it does
thats WHY I bought 10 minute color precisely BECAUSE I had a MAJOR color correcting job to do! and the regular 25 minute excellence could never do it. even if I leave it on 45 minutes which I often have
so this is the WAY TO GO...for using ash shades:)
getting brassiness out
if youre a blonde who has gone a bit gold yellow,brassy,..use light ash blonde.
if youre super reddish or orange..use the medium ash blonde as I did,
use color oops first
oh yeah my roots were 100% unaffected! (thats a good thing!) they didnt turn even a hint of orange like most dyes would do... they simply match since my natural color is dark ash blonde anyway.
you cant even find them if you looked.
I WILL use again:)! ill use a violet (gray look) ash next time. this is a bit dark but still considered "blonde" OHH and its not a "flat ,sickly" ash blonde..there is shine and dimension for sure. very pleased.
UPDATE..ok so the medium ash was better which came out dark ash.. cuz I used the "light natural blonde" and it didnt do anything at all... hair stayed orange (I bleached first) it didnt do a thing to tone down or lighten or anything.im still trying so hard to get ASH blonde hair even grayish if I have to... cuz i have so much yellow and orange and gold... next ill try natural instincts brass free or champagne cool

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2009 6:05:00 PM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This product, I tried it just once and nearly fried the hair off my head. I followed the directions exactly, I'm pretty precise about these kinds of things.

I picked a shade close to but about 3 shades lighter than my natural hair colour, same colour as I'd been using in the L'Oreal Preference line, a light golden brown.

My hair ended up the correct colour, but the texture was AWFUL. This turned it into straw. It was brittle and dry and lifeless. The hair felt like strands of cellophane or plastic wrap when I was rinsing out the dye, and for a long time after every time I washed my hair.

I ended up using a ton of conditioners and moisturizing shampoos to fix the end result. I wasn't impressed with the conditioner that came with it, although it helped, it by no means fixed the problem.

Eventually my damaged hair grew out and got cut off. Mercifully I prefer a short curly cut and my hair grows fast.

I went back to Preference, then tried Excellence Creme in the regular formula and have settled on that.

Excellence to go is NOTHING like Excellence Creme. If you heard that you can have nice shiny well conditioned hair that doesn't fade using Excellence, it is the pro Keratin Creme stuff NOT this fast acting product.

I refuse to even try Clairol Perfect 10 since the two products seem similar, and I'm not budging from regular old fashioned ordinary excellence.

For the extra what? 20 whole minutes? every 4 to 5 weeks??????? it is worth it!!!!!

This is just my own experience, as they say, "results may vary" so perhaps there are people who will love this product but not me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2009 3:35:00 AM More reviews by ProductJunkey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this in medium blonde, and it turned my hair very dark, light light brown. I was a light blonde before- so this makes no sense to me. Now, I have to go back and dye it again. This stuff is a joke. Stay away!