November 23, 2014 | 1280 users online

Powder - Elizabeth Arden - Pure Finish Mineral Makeup

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2011 11:21:00 PM More reviews by yajuwen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Generally I love this product. I got #1 which has nice color, probably the best match I've ever have. The color change a little during the first hour but I'm fine with that. I love the creamy, buttery texture and the soft, semi-mate look. I feel it's really a light weight foundation and provides great overage at the same time. It isn't drying at all but isn't able to give oil/shine control during the hot summer. This doesn't really bother me while the foundation stays in place and looks fine after 8 hrs, which is really good enough. One thing I really don't like is the packaging. Personally, I hate the shredding packaging though the manufactures are always saying this gives fresh powders, better hygiene, which are both true. However, I found it's hard to get just right amount of powder. The puff comes with this does a good job but makes the container more messy. Yes, it's for better hygiene but it's not ergonomic. For this reason, I drop one overall point and not buy this again. For the powder itself, it's definitely a worth buy.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2011 8:05:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

The first time I used Pure Finish Mineral Makeup, I felt like bursting into song; in a good way. This is a statement that reflects not only the fact that I might be losing my mind; it also reflects the frustrating problems I've had over the last couple of years, trying to find a dependable foundation. Like probably 85% of makeup wearers, I was a mineral foundation user, continually, for years. No moisturizer, no sunscreen...none of that smart stuff. I just slapped on Minerals and thought all was good. Then I had my third baby, and my skin turned into a mixture of adolescence and menopause, and I'm relatively far from either (I hope). Three and a half years later, my skin still ain't what it used to be, and I guess I have only aging to blame. And the fact that for the majority of my life it was generally understood that sunscreen was for people who got sun-burned, not sun- tanned. (Anyone else remember having dark tanning "contests" with friends where you slathered yourself in baby oil and cooked yourself like a McDonald's French Fry? I used to win those contests...easily.) Even though I still have good skin, I feel like I have to be extra diligent with protection, because one of these days, my past self-BBQs are going to pay me back for damages.

The BE minerals I'd used for years and years suddenly seemed to magnify every pore on my face, and they refused to cover melasma and other sun damage. Plus, they seemed so SHINY. I tried "matte" BE, which was better on my pores and oils, but I couldn't find a good foundation color match, and it caused...ahem...lines around my eyes to show. After BE, I tried Youngblood, Jane Iredale, beingTrue, Aromaleigh, Colorescience Pro, etc. I had problems with all of these: shimmer, shine, unable to color-match, cakiness, etc. I started using Laura Geller's Baked Balance & Brighten Foundation - and it's absolutely fantastic - except it doesn't have sunscreen. My face HATES liquid sunscreen. Sunscreen beneath makeup always ruins my makeup.

I've been trying "long-wear" liquid foundations, but the best ones don't have proper sunscreen protection, so I thought maybe I could find minerals with spf to work as a "finishing" powder. Elizabeth Arden's Pure Finish claims to be lighter, etc. than other minerals, and it's less costly (quite a bit in come cases) than many other brands, so I figured I'd give it a try. I'm in the general range of NC35, and I use Shade #4.

The mirrored "jar" compact for this makeup feels SO elegant, and it comes with a pretty, fluffy little puff that actually works quite well. (I usually use a kabuki for application, though). I don't even put the jar in my makeup bag, because I don't want it all scratched up. It feels "fancy", the way my Mom's makeup felt to me as a kid. The "grinder" in the compact is pure genius - there is absolutely no mess with these minerals. Grinding them before application makes them seem completely fresh, and pure. They feel light as air, and they are so fine you can't see them on skin! They're SPF 20 PA++, and they have NO glitter or shine! Plus - they don't fall into lines. They make my skin look even and smooth and they control oil beautifully. If I want really "full" coverage, I use them as setting powder rather than a stand-alone foundation, and they're beautiful either way. Also, there's no "itch" at all, like I get with many other mineral foundations; especially "matte" formulas. Pure Finish's formulation is extremely gentle, and I like that it has added antioxidants.

EDIT: I've removed a lippie because I used this up faster than any other mineral or loose powder I've ever used. I will likely repurchase, because this is great stuff, but I'm disappointed that it's been used up already. And when it's gone, it's gone. There's nothing left to scrape, and no leftover dust. Maybe I haven't mastered the shaving technique.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2011 8:50:00 PM More reviews by Puddingbear

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

Got this along with the tinted moisturiser and used together and it gave me such a glowing complexion.

Used it to death and have run out, waiting for my mum to get me more for my birthday!

I used the palest one and it gave me an excellent glow and the brush is fab. I don't think it's strong enough to cover major imperfections, but it toned down my freckles and red patches so I still looked human and not a tangerine.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2011 7:38:00 PM More reviews by birdlove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a good foundation, it provides light coverage which makes it good for everyday use and those with skin that just needs a little bit of extra help, you can get a bit of a medium coverage but it's not that buildable, I find it looks a bit unnatural if you put too much on. I've used it for ove a year and it hasn't caused me any breakouts, my skin is combination and it definitely keeps the shine away for hours. I don't think it makes faces look flat, it's a matte powder but the look is very natural and glowy, the powder is very fine. I originally used a really bad brush with it and once I swapped over to the body shop mineral powder brush the difference was amazing, you definitely need a good brush for powder make up. It is a long lasting foundation if you don't sweat too much, otherwise I find most of it disappears after about ten hours. The only thing I don't like is the puff it comes with which is useless and the fact that it's alost impossible to get the last of it out when you're at the end.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2011 11:03:00 AM More reviews by silentboo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I acquired this when my friend was accidently given the wrong shade (02) at duty-free as she is very ivory-pale and I'm a touch darker this shade suits me perfectly. The coverage is good, though it does need touching up through the day, I've found it perfect everyday light-coverage foundation but I've had to stop using it this winter as it leaves my skin feeling too dry. The packaging is really wasteful and its a shame they don't do refills, also the puff that comes with it just absorbs all the powder and doesn't deposit any on your face, so you'll need a seperate brush for it. I have friends who love this product and use it every day, I'm still undecided as to whether I'd buy it again, but probably not.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2010 2:34:00 PM More reviews by leaveitblank

I'm on the fence for this one. It's pretty long lasting, yes. But it fails to provide the medium to high coverage that it so claims. Of course I wasn't expecting high coverage from a mineral powder foundation but at best, it provides a sheer coverage. It's best used as a setting powder -such a pity because it's meant to be a foundation!- or over tinted moisturiser to get higher coverage. Oil control wise, it does keep the oillies at bay for a little while (maybe 3-4 hours in humid weather?) and after that I don't have anymore foundation left on the oilier areas. There was so much hype about this and I was rather disappointed. However, I do love the flawless finish it provides, despite the lack of coverage.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2010 4:52:00 PM More reviews by buuuuu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this as a slightly less expensive alternative to Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder. This is no match in terms of coverage, especially covering redness. I now only use this as a finishing powder over liquid foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/17/2010 1:54:00 AM More reviews by jay4jazz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not really what I was looking for and the MA sold me the wrong shade, so if I want more coverage I look too orange. I put "No" for would I repurchase, but I may try it out again in a better shade next time. I love the brush though, which I think is why I bought it in the first place.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2010 9:50:00 PM More reviews by nicole33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really don't get the raves for this at all. I used it 3 days in a row and it's going back for a return. The brush on the other hand is awesome.

Here are my pros & cons.

PRO
02 was a good colour match
Didn't settle into any lines at all
Not chalky
My poors looked smaller
The packaging is nice
No reaction

CON
My face just looked flat with this foundation. My skin just looked dull and I look awful. It's hard to put into words but I look worse with the makeup on then when I'm not wearing any and my skin is not exactly great (broken capilaries, blemishes, ruddiness)
Even though it was a good match I look pale
Barely any coverage. I had to use a lot in order to get any coverage
No real lasting power
For some reason whatever blush I put on top (cream or powder) it looked too dark and didn't blend nicely
Even though you turn the dial on the package, the powder still gets on my clothes when I swirl it onto my face and a bit did come out of the pan and onto my counter so it's not perfect.

This is just too expensive for something that just doesn't look that great. I'm sticking with my FACES mineral powder even if the colour isn't a great match.
My skin

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2010 3:25:00 AM More reviews by cproffitt

I'm onto my second compact of this stuff. I never used to wear foundation daily because I hate the feeling of it on my face, but you can't feel this stuff on at all! The coverage is quite light and sheer (which I like), and it gives good oil control for my oily/combo skin. I love the grinder and the sturdy compact - way less waste and mess than usual for powder compacts.

The puff it comes with is not so great, but I always apply with a fold away kabuki brush and it's fine. Only takes a few seconds to sweep onto the face for a lovely soft-focus effect that lasts all day! I would only need to touch up if I'm going out later that evening. I will never go back to liquid foundation!