December 20, 2014 | 1685 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion SPF 60

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2010 11:37:00 AM More reviews by Girlfit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this at the same time I bought the Neutrogena SPF 90 (which is solely a chemical SS). I tried to like this one, I really did, but I HATE it.

Because of its strictly physical ss nature (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide), it goes on with a whitish cast. Not AS much an issue for someone like me who is super duper fair but if you are even one shade darker than porcelain, you'll have a beast of a time getting it to blend in properly. I didn't like how it felt on my face or how makeup performed over it so I decided to just use the SPF 90 on my face and save this for my arms. No bueno. I put this on my arms and then tried to get dressed and it transferred ALL over my black work shirt. I had one hell of a time trying to rub out the white marks on my shirt so that I could leave that morning for work (changing shirts wasn't an option as it was a work uniform shirt).

In terms of the ingredients, if you look at the ingredients, the inactive ingredients are all listed in alphabetical order, which means that all of the inactive ingredients individually account for less than 1% of the total formula composition and the bulk/majority (over 50%) of the product is taken up by the Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide. By FDA regulations, any ingredient that is less than 1% in volume of the formula can be listed in any order the manufacturer likes, as long as its listed AFTER the ingredients that are over 1%. This could be alphabetical order or a random order. Here, all the inactive ingredients are listed alphabetically, which indicates that all the inactive ingredients listed are individually are 1% or less in volume of the formula.

The point I am making in this is that while it is possible that someone could be sensitive or allergic to something that accounts for less than 1% of a product, its fairly unlikely. Note I said its POSSIBLE but its unlikely. Other reviewers have been pointing fingers at one ingredient or another as the cause of their irritation. I'm not doubting that someone had an irritation from this product, I just doubt the ONE sole ingredient was to blame when that ingredient is so miniscule in the product, its barely measureable. Its much more likely that people are allergic/sensitive to the titanium or zinc or that it was a combination of troubling ingredients that set off some people.

Either way, it doesn't really matter because the product sucks. And considering that this product is basically just half cheap titanium and zinc, its a bit overpriced. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 7/16/2010 11:19:00 AM More reviews by dkk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this on my sensitive skin one sunny day- and got allergic dermatitis all over my body that lasted for 2 weeks! DON'T USE THIS PRODUCT if you have truly sensitive skin! This, along with the poor health ratings on their other products I used to like, has 100% turned me off from Neutrogena, and I have stopped using this brand. http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/finding-the-best-sunscreens/?brand_id=434&order=score%20INC&start=0

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2010 3:56:00 PM More reviews by kupo_baby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm really struggling trying to find a good sunscreen this summer. The Neutrogena Dry Touch I liked previous yrs caused a horrible reaction. I tried this since it was a physical ss & once I blend it in its fine but the days after I use it my skin is very dry & flaky. I will keep it in case I need more protection (on days when I'll be outside a lot) but I'm going to keep looking for a better daily sunscreen.

EDIT: Tried to use this for body & the white cast was much worse than other physical sunblocks

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2010 9:45:00 AM More reviews by 1017

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff stings/burns! Do not buy it. I have fairly normal skin. I put this on my face and had to immediately wash it off...my skin felt weird, stingy slightly. So I tried it on my arms thinking less sensitivity there...I can still "feel" it. And this also goes on very ghostly.

Really, please, don't waste your money. It sounded good in theory, but did not work in real life.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2010 2:31:00 PM More reviews by RedH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I absolutely LOVE this product. I have extremely oily, fair, sensitive, acne prone skin with rosacea. I have tried virtually any and all sunblocks and find that any chemical sunscreen makes my face greasy (even when it says it's 'oil free'), and red, and/or causes breakouts.

This product fills in pores, evens out my skin and generally makes my skin look better. And NO reaction! My face doesn't look greasy, instead it looks like my pores are smaller. I can also put it on my toddler. There is a bit of trick to putting it on though. You need to dampen your finger tips to spread it evenly. A little goes a long way.

But horror of horrors, I just found out, for some unexplainable reason it is no longer available in Canada....even though it just came out last year!! I have no idea why and I am VERY upset. This product is a God send to someone like me.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/18/2009 6:40:00 PM More reviews by beckhamlvr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Horrible! It never seemed to rub in and left me looking white. It kept feeling wet still and in the places where it didnt, it felt powdery. I'm returning it. It was terrible stuff and usually I love Neutrogena sunscreen

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2009 9:38:00 AM More reviews by filmart

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I quickly stopped using this product after finding out more about one its ingredients, methylisothiazolinone, which is a sensitizing preservative (and my skin is way too sensitive already). This lotion was fairly thick, and left a whitish cast - these features weren't much of a problem for me, since I'm fair-skinned, and this lotion evened out my skin tone. But I hated the fact that this sunscreen never seemed to dry, even with a layer of powder over it, so it would freqently rub off onto clothing. While Neutrogena is to be commended for providing good protection through physical blockers, they need to fix many other things about this formulation.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2009 6:50:00 PM More reviews by dawnwfoster

I am a committed wearer of sunscreen and recently decided to wear a higher SPF than my normal moisturizer (Eucerin daily face moisturizer SPF 30). I tried Neutrogena Healthy Defense Moisturizer SPF 45 after seeing rave reviews in Allure magazine, but it made my face sting and burn. Next I tried Aveeno Continuous Protection SPF 70 with the same painful results. I figured out that avobenzene and the other active ingredients in those sunscreens were causing irritation to my skin. I found this Neutrogena Sensitive Skin sunblock SPF 60 at the drugstore and tried it on my face. I was skeptical that it would "vanish" as claimed on the tube, especially after reading reviews on MUA complaining of the whitish cast. I have to agree that the lotion does not completely disappear on the skin, it makes my face appear a couple shades lighter than it truly is. This isn't ideal, but after my experiences with the other sunscreens, I figured I could settle with a non-irritating formula with high SPF. One of the biggest advantages of this Sensitive Skin formula is that it does not leave my skin shiny as most sunscreens would. I don't even have to apply powder to control oil. I expect that in the winter months this sunscreen would be drying, and if that is the case I will apply moisturizer under it. This product would have 5 lippies but I had to subtract a lippie because of the whitish cast. However I'm content with it, as long as it does its job and doesn't irritate me or cause breakouts. Also, it looks good under makeup. I will definitely purchase this again.

UPDATE:
I still like this sunblock, however I have noticed that it is quite drying to my face, even during heat/humidity. Then I realized that this product does not claim to moisturize, only protect against sun damage. Silly me! I remedy this by applying a moisturizer prior to sunblock. I have been experimenting by mixing it with liquid foundation to try and get rid of the white cast, but that only made me look "greyish" so I won't do that again. I just apply a *thin* layer over my moisturizer. This sunblock does leave a whitish cast, and I'm sure it would look very pasty in photos, but it gets the job done. Still like it.

UPDATE AGAIN:
I have changed the rating to 2 stars. After reviewing the EWG website, I have found that this sunscreen contains unfavorable ingredients and the SPF may be misleading. I have moved on to better (albeit more expensive!) products that I can trust. I still have a little bit of this product left in the tube and will use it on my hands until it's gone. I will not be repurchasing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2009 10:38:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

OK, shoot me on sight the next time you see me experimenting with a cheaper sunscreen option. And even going near Neutrogena again (yes, I was punished for just trying: revenge of the bunny-testers from beyond the grave).

Slightly different name here in Canada; fairly widely available, the baby version less so (might be better, has had better reception here on MUA). Decent price - around $12 or so for 88 ml. Little or no scent, few obvious irritants, and yes, all-physical. Goes on nicely, smooth, lightweight, scarcely any white cast. Excellent tube with good closure.

Unfortunately, that's it for the pros as the big con hits. For me, anyway. Major rash on neck, shoulders, chest, and backs of legs (the latter zone is usually so resistant I can even wear part-chemical sunscreens there). Luckily not used on face. The Beloved tried it (fair sensitive skin), no rash, but preferred "our usual one."

So it's back to the trusty faithful old Blue Lizard Sensitive for body sunscreen here. Cheaper than the Neutrogena, and no reactions ever (and better company ethics).

INGREDIENTS: Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.9%), Zinc Oxide (4.7%) Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, Arachidyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Ascorbic Acid, Beeswax, Behenyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, BHT, Bisobolol, Butylene Glycol, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Dimethicone PEG 8 Laurate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Methicone, Methylisothiazolinone, Pantothenic Acid, PEG 100 Stearate, PEG 8, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polysorbate 60, Retinyl Palmitate, Silica, Stearic Acid, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Trisiloxane, Water, Xanthan Gum 5/21/09 continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2009 7:19:00 PM More reviews by brideie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The whole family wore this sunscreen to the beach.
I liked that the sunscreen had no scent, was not sticky on the skin and did protect against sunburn.
I did not like that although the sunscreen blends into the skin at first, the slightest bit of sweat or water makes the white cast show up. My fair skinned husband looked like the Joker from Batman, and my olive toned sons had a white cast on them. Compared to some of Neutrogena's other sunscreens, this one rubbed off or washed off quickly. Reapplication looked even more pasty.