Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion SPF 60

2.7

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.9%), Zinc Oxide (4.7%) Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, Arachidyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Ascorbic Acid, Beeswax, Behenyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, BHT, Bisobolol, Butylene Glycol, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Dimethicone PEG 8 Laurate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Methicone, Methylisothiazolinone, Pantothenic Acid, PEG 100 Stearate, PEG 8, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polysorbate 60, Retinyl Palmitate, Silica, Stearic Acid, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Trisiloxane, Water, Xanthan Gum 08/17/11

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

What crap.........sensitive skin? This product broke me out horribly and left a whitish cast on my face. TERRIBLE

on 10/30/2010 6:03:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

While this isn't an elegant sunscreen formulation it does do what it says- it screens the sun.

I haven't, and won't try it under makeup, but while at home in the weekends I'm quite happy to use it. It's not nice after sweating a lot, nor is it very pleasant after re-applying two or three times during the day. However it's still cheaper than Clinique for the weekend, and finally Neutrogena have smartened up and put a flip-top cap on it.

I wore it, with re-applying three times, in the harsh NZ sun (no ozone layer and no pollution to create an artificial ozone) and didn't get burnt at all. I looked pretty disgusting because it's a physical sunblock by the end of the day. But it worked- an in summer that's all I want in my sunblock.

I much prefer it to Neutrogenas chemical sunscreens as it doesn't burn.

UPDATE- have given up on this sunscreen as it doesn't stand up to any sweating or sun exposure. I went for a long run and found that it had beaded up all over my face in gross clumps and heaps of it settled in my eyebrows and needed to be combed out- cleanser wouldn't do it. Yuck! It's also pretty hopeless on your body because it's so thick it doesn't spread that well, and you notice if you miss a bit- the sun bites it! And watch out if it gets into your eyes! Ouch!!!!!!

on 9/30/2010 8:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

smell aweful. hard to rub on the body, very dry. the worst.

my favorite sunblock is Neutrogena 'Ultra-sheer SPF 30 sunblock' . that one is really smooth and not greasy and so light.

but this one is not good at all. I wonder , they use too different formula.

on 8/31/2010 12:10:00 PM

I like this because it is a physical sunscreen and I am on Retin-A. I accidentally used a chemical one on a visit to my dad's house which included a lot of pool time and I had a terrible reaction - painful red flaky rash that took days to go away. I immediately switched to this and it seemed to soothe my skin somewhat and I didn't have any further reaction. I wouldn't recommend it for every day under makeup use because of the opacity and rather greasy feel of it but it did keep my fair, sensitive, Retin-A photo-sensitive skin well protected during several days of more intense sun exposure than I'm used to. I used a layer of ColorStay Active Light Makeup SPF 25 to help me look less ghostly. Not gorgeous, but not bad if you're just out by the pool. Nevertheless, I stayed in the shade as much as possible and wore a hat when in direct sun as I always do.

on 8/31/2010 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought this at the same time I bought the Neutrogena SPF 90 (which is solely a chemical SS). I tried to like this one, I really did, but I HATE it.

Because of its strictly physical ss nature (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide), it goes on with a whitish cast. Not AS much an issue for someone like me who is super duper fair but if you are even one shade darker than porcelain, you'll have a beast of a time getting it to blend in properly. I didn't like how it felt on my face or how makeup performed over it so I decided to just use the SPF 90 on my face and save this for my arms. No bueno. I put this on my arms and then tried to get dressed and it transferred ALL over my black work shirt. I had one hell of a time trying to rub out the white marks on my shirt so that I could leave that morning for work (changing shirts wasn't an option as it was a work uniform shirt).

In terms of the ingredients, if you look at the ingredients, the inactive ingredients are all listed in alphabetical order, which means that all of the inactive ingredients individually account for less than 1% of the total formula composition and the bulk/majority (over 50%) of the product is taken up by the Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide. By FDA regulations, any ingredient that is less than 1% in volume of the formula can be listed in any order the manufacturer likes, as long as its listed AFTER the ingredients that are over 1%. This could be alphabetical order or a random order. Here, all the inactive ingredients are listed alphabetically, which indicates that all the inactive ingredients listed are individually are 1% or less in volume of the formula.

The point I am making in this is that while it is possible that someone could be sensitive or allergic to something that accounts for less than 1% of a product, its fairly unlikely. Note I said its POSSIBLE but its unlikely. Other reviewers have been pointing fingers at one ingredient or another as the cause of their irritation. I'm not doubting that someone had an irritation from this product, I just doubt the ONE sole ingredient was to blame when that ingredient is so miniscule in the product, its barely measureable. Its much more likely that people are allergic/sensitive to the titanium or zinc or that it was a combination of troubling ingredients that set off some people.

Either way, it doesn't really matter because the product sucks. And considering that this product is basically just half cheap titanium and zinc, its a bit overpriced. continued >>

on 7/16/2010 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I used this on my sensitive skin one sunny day- and got allergic dermatitis all over my body that lasted for 2 weeks! DON'T USE THIS PRODUCT if you have truly sensitive skin! This, along with the poor health ratings on their other products I used to like, has 100% turned me off from Neutrogena, and I have stopped using this brand. http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/finding-the-best-sunscreens/?brand_id=434&order=score%20INC&start=0

on 5/28/2010 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I'm really struggling trying to find a good sunscreen this summer. The Neutrogena Dry Touch I liked previous yrs caused a horrible reaction. I tried this since it was a physical ss & once I blend it in its fine but the days after I use it my skin is very dry & flaky. I will keep it in case I need more protection (on days when I'll be outside a lot) but I'm going to keep looking for a better daily sunscreen.

EDIT: Tried to use this for body & the white cast was much worse than other physical sunblocks

on 5/22/2010 9:45:00 AM

This stuff stings/burns! Do not buy it. I have fairly normal skin. I put this on my face and had to immediately wash it off...my skin felt weird, stingy slightly. So I tried it on my arms thinking less sensitivity there...I can still "feel" it. And this also goes on very ghostly.

Really, please, don't waste your money. It sounded good in theory, but did not work in real life.

on 5/21/2010 2:31:00 PM

I absolutely LOVE this product. I have extremely oily, fair, sensitive, acne prone skin with rosacea. I have tried virtually any and all sunblocks and find that any chemical sunscreen makes my face greasy (even when it says it's 'oil free'), and red, and/or causes breakouts.

This product fills in pores, evens out my skin and generally makes my skin look better. And NO reaction! My face doesn't look greasy, instead it looks like my pores are smaller. I can also put it on my toddler. There is a bit of trick to putting it on though. You need to dampen your finger tips to spread it evenly. A little goes a long way.

But horror of horrors, I just found out, for some unexplainable reason it is no longer available in Canada....even though it just came out last year!! I have no idea why and I am VERY upset. This product is a God send to someone like me.

on 10/18/2009 6:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Horrible! It never seemed to rub in and left me looking white. It kept feeling wet still and in the places where it didnt, it felt powdery. I'm returning it. It was terrible stuff and usually I love Neutrogena sunscreen