September 23, 2014 | 969 users online

Styling Products - Redken - Iron Silk 07 ultra straightening spray

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2010 12:11:00 AM More reviews by dany06

This product is like icing on the cake. I use nioxin thermal bliss as a leave-in conditioner and either satinwear 02 or blown away 09 for blowdrying my hair. This produces super shiny soft hair. Adding the iron silk just makes my hair look like I have a bkt. Its so smooth and shiny. It doesnt even look like my hair. It also smells really good and lingers. It smells clean like a body wash of some sort. It is so not like hairspray and is very combable. I have only ever used it from 6 to 8 inches away and have never had problems.

I became hooked on this product when I went to Ulta 8 months ago. the stylist used a cocktail of satinwear and smooth down serum for the blowdry. The she used iron silk for the flatiron. My hair was just as straight as getting a bkt and I fell in love. I didnt buy those products right away because I was afraid of alchol in products and convinced that serums were all that I needed. Well somewhere 6 months down the road I found out that my hair likes less serum if any at all. It also likes really light products. So this stuff is wonderful. I dont ever go back to my simple leave-inconditioner and serum because this is soooooo much better. The shine is outrageous and my hair is so smooth and flowy. It also really reduces the volume of my hair which I really desire.

i would totally buy this again. Im going to try out mizani thermasmooth shine extend anti humidity spritz some time soon to see how it compares. I hear it works just as good but smeels even better.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/2/2010 12:00:00 PM More reviews by rosekiss16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I thought I would like this flat iron spray since I love the Redken shampoos and conditioners for my colored curly hair. Did not like!! I tried spraying a tiny bit in my bangs and they would always come out stiff and dry like I used hair spray. I also tried a little bit at a time on the rest of my hair and it was NOT silky. I will keep this in the closet as a back up, because it was over $15 and I hate throwing this stuff away. I will be going back to my CHI Iron Guard

rated 2 of 5 on 7/16/2010 1:35:00 AM More reviews by winkkiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So this is a good heat protector, but it feels so starchy. I give a few light sprays throughout my hair followed by running through a comb. Once the product dries, I feel that my hair feels dry and stiff. Not crunchy, just starchy. When flat ironing my hair, I want it to look sleek afterward. Unfortunately, I don't achieve that result with this product. The pump also tends to leak.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2010 9:45:00 AM More reviews by Trine16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My hairdresser reccomended this to me after she found out that I was once again heat-styling my hair without a protectant. I have to admit that it does a good job of protecting my hair...I've noticed less breakage.
I'm just not a huge fan of the product itself. I would much rather continue using Iron Repair...the smell is 10x better and you apply it when your hair is damp.
I don't like the thought of using this when my hair is already dry..since it tends to wet it down alot. Also, my hair takes so much longer to straighten when using this.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/5/2010 12:17:00 AM More reviews by PurpleElephants

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am really disappointed with this product. It just made my hair a dry, disgusting mess. It might be the worst flat iron spray that I've ever used.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2010 9:29:00 PM More reviews by LaVidaCuca

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I HATED this product. It really dried out my already dry/damaged hair and left it feeling crunchy and yucky. No Bueno :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2010 9:13:00 PM More reviews by NYC22

While I hate L'Oreal (the owner of Redken) I love this heat protectant!

Overall, Iron Silk works just as well as my favorite product (GHD thermal protectant for dry, coarse hair), but the Iron Silk costs less and is more readily available. And, not only does it act as a heat protectant but it also boasts other properties such as being an "ultra straightening spray," "fighting frizz," providing "shiny smoothness" and being "humidity-resistant." As far as I can tell, this spray has lived up to its claims: it straightens, it provides shine (and a reasonable amount of bounce for flattened hair -- the best of both worlds!), in mild humidity it provides hold and keeps frizz away, etc. I am most impressed by its straightening properties - when I use this spray my hair gets much straighter when I use my flat iron than when I use other products. In fact, my hair gets so straight and smooth that I could almost get away with doing one pass with the flat iron instead of two.

My only concern with the claims on the bottle has to do with how well this truly protects from heat. While Paula Begoun has not reviewed this product to my knowledge, she has reviewed another one of Redken's "heat protectants," the "Spray Starch," which she says does not protect from heat in the least. Therefore, I am leery of Redken's marketing and the true effectiveness of the Iron Silk spray over time.

As for application, I really like that this spray comes out "wet" but dries in an instant. Therefore, I don't have to waste precious time waiting for my hair to dry out before I can use my flat iron (or risk burning my hair). I also like that one full spritz of Iron Silk covers an entire section of hair from top to bottom which makes for an efficient application - there is no need to spray more than once, even for large sections or long hair. However, this can make it difficult if one wants to spritz a small section of hair for a touch-up because, since so much comes out at once, it can be difficult to isolate the spray as spraying less than a full pump results in an uneven spray (read: some areas get soaked while other areas aren't sprayed at all).

Finally, I cannot review this spray without mentioning the fragrance. Iron Silk reminds me of a stinking, cloying men's cologne mixed with laundry detergent. If the makers of Axe body spray and Tide got together to make a product, they would come up with this scent which is not unlike the smell of CHI's Silk Infusion serum. I really don't like the scent, particularly when it is being repeatedly sprayed inches from my nostrils. However, the smell doesn't linger on my hair and I am willing to overlook the deficit because of how well this heat protectant performs.

Overall, I highly recommend this spray as an alternative to the GHD thermal protectant for dry, coarse hair (see my other review).

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2010 12:54:00 PM More reviews by sharnop

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product was recommended to my teenage daughter who flat irons daily. I am 45 and don't flatiron, even though my hair is extremely curly and fine. I prefer blowdrying with a large round brush to smooth out the frizzies and kinks while still getting some volume. I use this spray differently than recommended by the directions. I spray onto my wet hair and blow dry sections with the round brush...this product works very well for this method. Gives my hair a smooth look, while still producing some volume and nice hold. Absolutely no weight, tackiness, or greasiness like other products I've used for straightening. I will continue to use and I actually gave a bottle to my sister with similar hair texture.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/9/2010 12:26:00 AM More reviews by princessa00

I followed directions and sprayed this section by section. First, my iron kept doing that thing where it gets stuck on a section and crimps a little line in. This never happens to me. Second, an hour after finishing, my hair was a wavy, sticky mess. I love redken products, but this is a complete waste of money. The popular tressemme heat tamer spray works better than this is every sense. I bought iron silk hoping it would give me heat protection AND some sort of hold..but I would have been better off not using anything prior to straightening. For ref, my hair is slightly wavy so its not hard to straighten, but there are sections that will not stay flat to save my life.

My word of advice is unless you have curly or hard to straighten hair, you can get by with using a drugstore heat spray. But if that's not you, I would not recomment this at all!

Oh and a final note, the spray nozzle is crappy too. Its impossible to get a nice even mist, it releases way too much product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2010 2:32:00 AM More reviews by Bethisfree20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the best pre-flat iron straightening spray I've ever used, hands down. I have extremely thick, mostly wavy/curly hair, and when I use this product with my flat iron, my hair stays perfectly straight until I wash it.