Guerlain Meteorites Perles Light Diffusing Perfecting Primer

3.7

Aqua(water), Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Alcohol, Silica, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Butyleneglycol, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Calcium Alginate, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Gellan Gum, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Parfum (Frangrance), Disodium Edta, Sodium Hydroxide, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Benzoate, /- Mica, CI 77891 (titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (iron oxides)

Skin: Other, Tan, Warm

Looks gorgeous in the bottle... and anything positive I could say ends right about there. Simply stated this did absolutely nothing for me. Didn't make my skin look better before foundation/TM... and it didn't make my foundation/TM look better or wear better.

on 4/13/2013 12:48:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I bought this because I saw it in sephora and thought it looked beautiful in the bottle and when i used the tester on my hand it left a little glowing shimmer on my skin which i thought was beautiful. When i tried it at home it was so disappointing. The shimmer I loved so much in the store doesnt show in normal lighting, just the dim lighting of sephora. It didnt necessarily dry my skin out but i noticed when I used it the skin on my face felt tight. Very disappointing for something I spent so much money on.

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

After having used up an entire bottle, I'm just not convinced this is anything more than a mediocre -- albeit gorgeously packaged -- primer.

As others have mentioned, the primer is housed in a beautiful glass bottle. As you pump up product, the illuminating pearls are crushed and dispensed through the pump.

The texture itself is very runny -- it doesn't feel like your average silicone-y primer. That's nice, in a way. And it does impart a beautiful glow to your face shortly after application.

Here's the problem: that beautiful glow disappears under medium coverage foundation. You may as well be wearing nothing. And the watery texture does nothing to make the actual application of foundation easier. I wasn't expecting miracles, I promise, but the fact that the glow doesn't even translate through my makeup is disappointing to say the least.

And finally, a nitpicky observation: even with daily use, the product tends to crust in the pump, meaning you need to pick it out each time you pump out more product. Such a minor issue, but an annoying one nonetheless. After all, aren't Guerlain products supposed to BE about the details?

I generally like Guerlain products, and it sort of kills me to give this a less-than-stellar review, but there you have it. (Honestly, I can't help but wonder if many of the glowing [no pun intended] reviews for this product are because people don't want to admit they spent the better part of a Benjamin on sub-par primer. :< Oh well. You've been warned.)

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

I am quite surprised there is not more love here for this product. True, it will not make the skies part and angels sing, nor will it transform you into a supermodel. If you expect this from a makeup primer, you will undoubtedly be disappointed. It does, however, do the "illuminating" makeup primer job it is designed to do-and does it exceptionally well.

I have mostly dry skin, and this primer sits very well on my dry skin.

I absolutely love the look this primer gives to lighter coverage foundatons (such as Guerlain Lingerie de Peau). It imparts a subtle "glow" or radiance. (It is not "glow for days" obvious like Laura Mercier's Radiance Primer - Guerlain is subtle, light reflecting, satiny sheen.) I would not recommend this primer for use with heavier foundations for the effect-it is simply too subtle and would not "shine through" heavy foundations.

The packaging is pure luxe-and I would expect nothing less from a brand like Guerlain at a $70 price tag for a primer. The bottle is heavy glass with a pump. The "meteorites perles" are suspended in the primer and crush as the product is dispensed, adding their subtle illumination.

This is not a heavy siliconey "I-can-peel-it-off-my-face" type primer (such as Smashbox etc.). It is much lighter in application.

The finish on my dry skin is quite nice. I also love Hourglass No. 28 Serum Primer for face "texture", however, I far prefer this Guerlain primer for face "effect". They both have an honored place in my beauty arsenal, depending on the look I am trying to achieve.

I would definitely recommend and repurchase this product!

on 11/27/2012 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I received a sample of this product with my Meteorites order from Nordstrom. And I wanted to hate it. I really did. I wanted it to break me out and look awful so that I wouldn't be tempted to spend the money on it.

But...I didn't hate it. I used to use Smashbox primers, and I've run the gamut using different kinds but they all either broke me out or turned me into an oil field after a few hours. This does neither. I have combo skin that's can be extremely flaky in some areas and very oily especially around my nose, and this creates kind of a happy medium. And I will say that I only use 1 tiny pump from the bottle for my entire face. So we'll see how long it lasts. I haven't noticed the sparkles that everyone else has commented on, but I do like that it gives my often dull and patchy skin a sort of glow. The packaging, like almost everyone else mentioned, is also gorgeous.

Is this for everyone? No, and the rants against its exorbitant cost are totally justified. I hope to not have to buy again until I have another Sephora coupon. But I do love the product, and I've actually noticed LESS pimples since I started using it, which leads me to believe that my other primer may have been irritating my sensitive skin.

on 11/15/2012 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This primer is the ONLY primer that i will ever use, and let me tell you why.
The Guerlain Pearls Primer gives me a glow like nothing else does. It makes me look healthy and radiant, and really does make my foundation look even and beautiful (not that my foundation needed that boost, since it is wonderful by itself). It does not break me out, keeps my very dry skin from drying out, and it really doesn't take much to cover my whole face with this primer. It has little 'pearls' suspended in gel, and upon pushing the pump, one of the pearls will burst and out comes a glowy, pink pearly substance.
There are alot of products that promise that "wow" factor, but here, i defiantley got it. All I could think was 'wow, i look great!"
This primer is best when used underneath Meteorites ballz. Used together, they make me look like something out of a fairy-tale.

on 11/12/2012 10:16:00 PM

Oh...how I wanted to love this primer! First of all, you cannot ignore the beautiful glass bottle with tiny pearls inside, it is absolutely beautiful just sitting around your vanity. However, packaging and luxe brand name aside, it is quite a mediocre product. I will say though that if you dislike primers with a distinct silicone feel, you may like this. It lacks the smooth, slippery texture that most primers flooding the market today have (i.e. Smashbox Photo Finish, Hourglass Mineral Veil, etc). It feels quite watery in comparison, and also lacks any moisturizing properties. It dries to a satin matte finish on the skin. It also has tiny sparkles in it that aren't so visible in artificial light, but are quite noticeable in broad daylight.

Since I have oily skin, I was pleased that this did not make me feel greasy at all. But for the price, I found that this does not exceed as a great primer, plus the sparkles turned me off entirely. I continue to use it since it would be a waste not to, but I much prefer my Hourglass Mineral Veil or Benefit Pore-fessional to smooth out my skin, and provide a nice canvas for my foundation. Or if you are looking for a luminous effect, I suggest Burberry's Fresh Glow primer, which is $20 less than Guerlain's and performs much better, in my opinion.

on 10/21/2012 7:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I have to admit that this is something I would never have picked up and tried on my own, as I've never seen the use for primer and the price tag on this is less than comforting. However, I went to try out the Lingerie de Peau foundation and the SA insisted on using this on my skin first. I ended up getting the primer rather than the foundation! I think it looks beautiful alone (with concealer in spots, of course) and under foundation it gives the effect of still seeing skin due to the shimmer and rosy quality... even if you've had to apply quite a bit of makeup. I have to say that I don't think it adds much in the way of making my foundation last longer, although I don't have a huge problem with that anyway. My skin is dry rather than oily, and I do find that the primer has a soothing effect on dry spots and makeup goes on better over these areas than it usually does.

on 10/13/2012 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Edit- not erasing my negative review as it would still hold true for less sleep-deprived times. Howevr. Now that I'm a mother I reeeeeally need the boost n glow this gives me, and it does make a noticeable difference in terms of look and longevity of base m/u. The glow does shine through. So impressed that I went and bought a full size ( was using a sample before that lasted months!!) With the full size I am more generous and do 2 pumps of this. It truly makes a difference and I will repurchase!
-'
Very lame. I can name several products that are better, or even just mixing a bit of High Beam into your regular primer or silicone-containing moisturizer will work better. The "pearl" effect is rather frosty+powdery on skin, not glowy. Lame lame lame. No repurchase from me. Do not recommend, but the bottle is pretty. *rolls eyes* reading the positive reviews gives me interesting insight into the human tendency to self-delude... I am guilty of it too, but i guess the reviews are mainly important for those who are wondering if they should spend, whether the results are worth it- answer: no.

on 10/1/2012 2:38:00 PM

I am usually very suspicious when it goes to primer. I've had a few but didn't notice any change in the way the foundation stayed during the day. I got the Guerlain Meteorites Primer because its super pretty and its very hyped among German Beauty Youtubers. I had to do a bride's makeup this weekend so I thought I give this a try. I bought the Primer 2 weeks before the wedding and tested it on myself. A little bit primer goes a long way. So one pump was enough for my whole face. I applied MAC's Face&Body Foundation and wend to work. I AM BEYOND AMAZED BY THIS PRIMER! Usually I find traces of makeup on my glasses where it touches the nose within 30 minutes. But not so this time! No make-up residue on my glasses even after hours. That's much more than I expected!! Even the blush lasted longer on me! I tried it a second day to work. This time with a drugstore foundation (Bourjois HEALTHY MIX FOUNDATION). Same with this product. So I used it on the bride .. but we used a sampler I got from the Guerlain sales person (Lingere de Peau) and the bride looked flawless the whole day :) I am very amazed by this primer and would repurchase this anytime. Only Con I noticed: For me its nothing I would wear on a daily basis because I got small bumps on my forehead after using it two days in a row. But its perfect to have for THIS special day :)