Maybelline Volum' Express Turbo Boost Mascara

3.2

on 5/15/2012 11:36:00 PM

This mascara is amazing on my eyelashes. I've tried higher end brands and haven't received the same results. They lengthen, separate, and thicken. I hope I can find it again at a store near me because I will be repurchasing this.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Maybelline's Turbo is one of the older members of their Volume Express family. Turbo is available in both waterproof and regular, washable versions, and is only available in one shade; Very Black. This mascara is ophthalmologist tested and found to be safe for contact lens wearers. Sadly, Maybelline products are still tested on animals, so please remember than when purchasing any of their products. I combined a coupon coupons and a bogo 50% deal to get this mascara for free. The regular retail price is around $7, but it can vary. This mascara is made in the USA.
Packaging for Volume Express Turbo is a round, black tube with a round, black cap, both of which are made of plastic. A metallic red band circles the mouth of the tube. All the lettering on the tube is written in a metallic red. This just looks like the mascara a young ~alternative~ girl would go for when selecting her first mascara. Compared to it's counterparts, The Colossal, The Falsies, and One by One, Turbo's tube is quite plain and would definitely not catch your eye when you're scanning the Maybelline mascara display.
Turbo's brush is lackluster. It's just so average you may as well use a spoolie or disposable wand. About an inch long and completely straight, Turbo's brush is made of short, fairly dense traditional brushes. Maybelline calls it the "clump-free brush". It may not clump within the bristles, but the brush sure does collect a lot of product on the tip. The tip of this brush is just so blunt, absolutely no rounding out the tip, which makes application messy.
Volume Express Turbo isn't the easiest mascara to apply, mostly because of the blunt brush tip. Maybelline recommends to use a sweeping motion to apply, but in my opinion it doesn't matter how you apply it, whether you wiggle or sweep, because you get the same results. That doesn't really make sense but it's true.
Volume Express Turbo only makes one claim; 7x the volume. Can this mascara deliver on one, single, simple promise? LOLNO. So what results do you get from Turbo? Close to none. A little volume, a smidgen of length, but nothing very noticeable. Pretty much all Turbo does is make your lashes black. Fail.
With a name like Turbo, you'd think you'd build up big, voluminous lashes FAST. Several years ago I had the waterproof version of Turbo and it gave much better results. Ironically, on the Maybelline website, they only promise 5x the volume. So much of this mascara doesn't even sense make. If you really want Turbo and want ok to epic lashes, go for the waterproof.
Turbo's wear is pretty average. It lasts mostly all day, but your lashes droop significantly throughout the day, I'm not sure why because this isn't even a heavy, wet mascara. The mascara on your bottom lashes flakes off and disappears, which is also weird, but at least they don't smudge all over your cheeks. Turbo isn't a heavy duty mascara that I'd wear to work, nor is it dramatic enough for my taste to wear on an every day basis. But I guess it's ok to sweep on for quick errand running, or a late night web-cam session, when I want to look pretty, but makeup free. Removal is no trouble at all, so I won't really delve into that topic.
For a while now, I've been wondering "Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Turbo when the rest of the range is so popular". That's why I bought it, actually. Well no one talks about Turbo for a couple reasons. First off, compared to it's sisters, it's packaging is super plain. I'd rather buy a mascara in a yellow and purple tube than black and red, wouldn't you? The second reason; it sucks, at least comparatively. Turbo is ok if you want a super basic, no frills, natural looking mascara, or if you have naturally perfect lashes that just need a but if darkness. I'm glad I got Turbo for free; I'd be really disappointed if I put out seven bucks for this. To me, Turbo is just boring. Not a mascara I'd repurchase or recommend.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I had high hopes for this mascara because it was rated highly by Paula Begoun's review site. Unfortunately it is terrible. No lengthening at all. I realize this is more of a thickening mascara but it did not do that either. It just clumped and dried out way to quickly. It flaked as the day wore on and my lashes would not stay curled with this.

I don't know who rated it so highly on Paula's site but this is a total loser.

on 1/12/2012 6:11:00 PM

Not the best but definitely not the worst. Volume is mediocre for a specifically-volumizing mascara. Also smudged a little and was flaky after combing out the clumps. Didn't look too bad after that, would purchase again if I couldn't find the One By One on the shelf.

on 12/30/2011 4:51:00 PM

I don't really understand why this mascara has such low reviews. I absolutely love this mascara. It has a good lift and it volumizes really well. It's not heavy and although the brush was simple, it was a great product. The more that I cake on, the more length is added without clumping.

on 12/28/2011 3:45:00 AM

I really like it. It's a good, simple mascara. No clumping at all.
If it clumps or doesn't look right, it's probably because you don't know how to properly apply mascara.

on 12/16/2011 10:10:00 AM

So I bought this mascara because it was cheap and I usually have good luck with Maybelline mascaras. However, this one was an exception. It does NOTHING to my eyelashes except make them black. No noticeable length, volume or anything. I will NOT be buying again!

on 12/6/2011 3:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Nice product - nice price

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Argh, my Maybelline mascara fails for a second time! After One by One, I expected this would be straightforward and volumizing, a little drama for a night out. Alas, the brush is so clumsy, too long and too bristly. I like big brushes for volume, but the bristles were too small and even. I basically found it hard to apply and ended up smearing it on my lids every time, which grew old quick. I swapped the wand and then I realized I didn't even like the formula. It is clumpy and uninspired. Fail.

on 10/27/2011 7:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This mascara clumps on me. The formula is mediocre at best. I have both the colossal * great for volume and thickening) and falsies (purple tube-perfect for lengthening, day wear mascara) and these two fare WAY better than Turbo Boost. When in doubt, stay the hell away from Turbo Boost.

Popular Mascaras