April 21, 2014 | 849 users online

Highlighters - E.L.F. - Shimmering Facial Whip in Lilac Petal

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by beautygurl011

I overall really liked this product. I gave it a 4 overall because it's a little bit too shimmery on my face. It may work great for other skin tones, but not mine. It's really cheap ($1). It's a little on the small side, but overall it's a good product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2013 10:10:00 AM More reviews by ontheglam

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

ELF has done it again! This stuff is great, and I would pay a lot more than $1 for it. Good thing I don't have to.
I know this is a highlighter, but I use it primarily as a shimmery blush. This stuff is definitely a cool pink base, and since I'm so pale, the pink shows through really well. I can't use it to highlight everything, because then everything is pink. But, if you are not bordering on alabaster skin, then you could probably get away with it.
The texture is good, and oddly enough- this stuff smells like fruit loops. No lie!
I'll keep buying this as long as I can find it. Good stuff!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/4/2013 6:10:00 AM More reviews by spookibelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I know it's only a dollar, but it's so much smaller than I thought. It's cute, and easy to store, but it's not practical to keep buying low-quality highlighter. It looks nice, but I find the formula sort of sticky and difficult to blend.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2012 7:11:00 PM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Let me start by saying that the majority of my makeup is not drugstore brands. I typically wear MAC, Guerlain, Chanel, Lancome, and Dior. However, ELF Studio is my weakness, because some of their products are "dupes" for higher-end, and insanely cheap. I picked up the Lilac Petal shimmering whip at Target for $1, because I read on several blogs that it is a dupe for Benefit High Beam at about 1/20 the cost. Well, it is. It is practically identical! A nice pearlescent pinkish highlighter. Slightly more difficult to blend, but for $1 I'm very impressed with this. I will never buy High Beam again!. Overall, this is a great bargain for only $1 and I will probably be buying one for my travel kit as well as a backup for home. If you use or covet High Beam, you'd be insane not to give this a try for $1. Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 3:12:00 PM More reviews by LadyClaudia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this highlighter. It claims you can use it on eyes, lips, and face, but you can only really use it on your face and eyes (but it creases). I once experimented using it on my lips, but it looked SUPER frosty and terrible. But hear me out... it works amazingly as a highlighter! I use a bit to highlight my cheekbone, browbone, and inner corner of my eye. If you blend it out, it looks beautiful and dewy. From swatches of Benefit High Beam I've seen online, this is very similar to it. It doesn't have any gritty glitter, which is good. It's very small, but you only need a tiny bit of product each time, and it looks cute. The only con I have is that mine has 2 holes in the opening, so it comes out of 2 places, but I can live with it. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by NinaJoy

ONLY $1 for an AMAZING highlighter that has great staying power and comes in a package you can take anywhere!

why spend like 30X as much for the Benefits High Beam when this is out?

the name throws you off a little "Lilac Petal" but it's a wonderful neutral pink/frosty shimmer.

LOVE LOVE LOVE

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2012 10:28:00 PM More reviews by beautyforless

Squee!!!! I love this product, and for only a dollar...double squee!!!
I don't use this as a blush (and I doubt that is it's intended use, tends to streak and be difficult to impossible to blend) but it's great for other uses. I used it to highlight under my brow, tear duct, and lip, and it's lovely. Then when I was incredibly lazy, used it as an eyedhadow, and it's very subtle with right amount (small) and gives a nice shimmer.
On a whim, I mixed it with Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme. I love the foundation, but it tends to make my skin look...well...flat. When i put it on with the CS, wow! Dimension, but subtle, so i didn't look like a glittering Twilight weirdo. It also helped diminsh my pores for some reason.
Either way, you can't go wrong with this product. It's great for multiple uses, has a pleasant scent, and is only a dollar!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2012 6:16:00 PM More reviews by phylicianyleen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVED this product! I used some right under my eyebrows for definition and I also put some on the apple of my cheeks. My skin tone is a natural beige and I was happy that the color really didn't show up on my skin as a blush but as a glow. It highlighted my cheeks wonderfully and doesn't make them look oily or feel greasy at all! I am a waitress so I hate when my make-up starts to feel icky after a few hours of running around. I am in love! I don't like blushes much but I was looking for something to add a natural, beautiful glow to my skin without looking like glitter. I am definitely repurchasing this product! I am probably going to use this every single day! So happy :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2012 11:56:00 PM More reviews by palefawn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I do overall really like this product, a nice highlighter, especially for the price!

Some things to watch out for, though, is that if you're applying it over foundation or something, be very delicate with it as it could mess up the look of your foundation.

Also, both of mine (I had this one and the more white-colored one) separated after some time to the point where it was literally just water spurting out. I didn't use mine very often though, so if you use it up before it gets to that point you won't have a problem!

Like I said, overall I love this product. It's a nice shimmery highlighter without being TOO crazy!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2012 1:23:00 AM More reviews by mooshrimp

I'll start by saying I'm a big ELF fan. I know there are some who just really don't get along with products from this brand. I was putting together an order and was a couple dollars short of the free shipping so I grabbed this. I have always used powder highlights so getting the hang of this was a little tricky, but boy am I glad I did try!

First I hate the tube. I can never get the right amount out. I always get too much and then try to apply it and look like a unicorn sneezed on my face or something. But if I can get the right amount onto my face, it is the most beautiful highlight. I take a little on my finger and dab it up in the "C" shape and then very quickly blend it with a highlighter brush (looks like a large eyeshadow blending brush). You should only work on one cheek at a time because this stuff does dry very very quickly. I actually haven't gotten it to work under my brow bone yet because it just dries too fast and looks crusty up in my eyebrows!

The absolute easiest way to use this though, so it doesn't dry and get disgusting and gunky is to just mix in some primer. If you mix it with lotion you'll rub off your base layer, but primer is less likely to do it. That gives it a much more workable texture.

As a cheek highlight, it is a really gorgeous shade. I've never used Benefit Hi-beam so I can't compare, but compared to my powder highlighter it's much glowier. It seems to last a long time, I did not experience any of the splotchiness other reviewers described, and it was a very subtle sheen. I'm really happy with this highlighter!

Also I noticed that there was an orange scent and I thought I'd hate it, but I actually really like it. I normally detest scented cosmetics, but this is pretty subtle. Kind of like if someone is peeling an orange in the same room.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No