April 17, 2014 | 1471 users online

Treatments - Retin A

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2013 1:15:00 PM More reviews by BriddaBella

I heard so many good things about this product and how it helps to improve your skin if you suffer from slight breakouts or have wrinkles. My skin does tend to breakout form time to time but the lately I have been getting these breakouts mainly on my chin (not spots but the kind of cyst type breakouts that is deep under your skin and leaves a red bump on your skin that hurts). This time I elt like the breakout was more persistent so I got Retin-A 0-025% hoping that it would clear up my skin.

The first 3 weeks of using it I felt that it was helping my skin. My chin cleared up and it lightened up my hyperpigmentation from previous spots.
The only downside is that you need to moisturise your skin heavily, because this stuff will make your skin peel and somewhat dry.

Fourth week onwards my cysts on my chin started appearing again even though I have been using Retin-A every night. This is my fifth week of using Retin-A and I feel like my skin is back to square one. I have now ordered 2 products from Acne.org, which are the Treatment with Benzoyl 2.5% and the AHA 10% Glycolic acid. Until the products arrive I might as well just continue using the Retin-A. Maybe it will make a difference.

On a more positive note I noticed that since using Retin-A reduced the blackheads on my nose and where my skin tone was a little uneven (hyperpigmentation and redness) I feel that it has improved it.

However it makes your skin peel (not necessarily dry but definitely peel), which makes it difficult to apply makeup/foundation, because it will accentuate the areas where your skin is coming off. I'm also not entirely sure if this product is that great for reducing acne, but if you are looking to even out your skin tone or reduce blackheads then it's a good product.

I'm still on the fence about this. Maybe I just need to try it out for longer, but I just can't stand the peeling.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2013 8:53:00 AM More reviews by Vaniessa

this product saved my skin! i had acne for the longest time ever and I've tried every single product on the market to cure my acne, from drug store brand to high-end products but nothing beats this product! it's cheap, its effective & it lasts! one tube last me few months & you only need to use this at night, and nothing else! and i do notice that it also make other products for oily or acne skin much more efficient as well, of course you do not want to go overboard with the products that you apply cause its gonna make your skin sensitive! however i do notice that it does make my pores slightly enlarged though.. but that won't stop me from using it!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/18/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by Nhothch

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used this product a little over a year and it isn't what I expected. I thought it would make my skin clear enough to not have to wear makeup anymore but that's not the case.

I'm 32 years old and have struggled with acne since my teenage years. I've used proactiv to help manage my acne. After having kids my acne got worse I starting getting acne all around my mouth and chin. I went to the dermatologist and was prescribed accutane which worked like magic. I had no more acne and a lot better complexion. After my second baby my acne flared again. I was prescribed accutane for the second time and used it for only four months. I was clear again but after a couple years I had these under the skin bumps that were not acne but oil trapped under my skin that wouldn't go away. I went to the dermatologist and was prescribed retin a. She said it won't guarantee that the bumps will go away but she couldn't prescribe accutane anymore since I didn't have acne. I decided to try it.

Two weeks on retin a was a nightmare. My skin became red, flaky, dry, bumpy and I was peeling. From then onto four months I started breaking out like never before. It was nonstop breakouts including places I've never had pimples before like my forehead. People at work we're wondering why my skin was so bad they told me to discontinue retin a. Although I wanted to quit because I was so depressed and didn't want people to see my crazy face, I continued using retin a everyday. There were some positive changes like my frown line was reducing and brown spots were lightening. Also, my pimples healed quicker than usual. After four months I went through a clear up breakout process every month. This was better than breaking out everyday but I still wasn't satisfied with the results. I gave it a good year before I realized retin a alone won't help so I started researching online different acne treatments. I was going to try proactiv again but found out there was a better product called exposed skin care. After using retin a every night and exposed skin care during the day I think I finally found a solution.

Do I recommend retin a? I would only recommend it to strong people that are willing to have horrendous skin for awhile, it's not for the weak. I guess everyone's skin is different since some reviews show improvement within a month or so, :( no fair. I would recommend using retin a in conjunction with some type of bacteria killer to lessen the outbreak. I wish I found exposed skin care sooner.

To describe my skin so far, I would say I'm pretty clear. I only get one or two little pimples here and there usually before my period that heals quickly. I still have acne scar I'm waiting to go away. I still have under the skin oil bumps that seem to be permanent. Therefore, I still wear makeup.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/9/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by jessicaelias

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Maybe I'm just fooling myself, but I swear that this one made more harm to my skin than it did good. I used this 6 months before I gave up. It helped with the acne, sure. At the time. And I got this amazing glow that I can't explain. BUT. My skin after retin a(it's been over six months since I discontinued the treatment) is sooooo sooooo sensitive and THIN. Yes. Thin. My epidermis(outer layer) never repaired itself, or it never went back to it's original state. With time I developed many crowsfeet(at 17 yaaayy) and alot of new fine lines under the eyes. My fine lines has multiplied and the skin takes alot of time to "bounce back" to its original state after making a facial expression. My skin can't handle the sun anymore, and worst of all is that I can't wear makeup because my skin reacts to pretty much anything I use. My skin looks really awful. Red and fragile and full of small pimples everywhere. It has never been like this, and I've had acne since I was 12. This one might be great for some people that needs to boost up their collagen and have a thick skin barrier but if you're young like me or you have skin that's more on the sensitive side then I would be careful using this because it won't do anything good besides from making the outer layer of the skin super thin and even more sensitive and red. And I know I'm not alone in having these kind of feelings towards retin a.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2013 10:51:00 AM More reviews by frckls

I have combo-oily dehydrated and hyperpigmented skin. It is quite sensitive and also pretty susceptible to sunlight. Might help to note that I'm on BCP.

I've been using Retin-A 0.025% Cream for 6-mos now after hesitating for so long and didn't see much improvement with Avene Triacneal. I really like what it does to my skin.

Used properly, my skin really glows and looks clear, even and smooth. However, I have to note to only use this every other night, otherwise my skin will rebel against me.

I once tried to increase the usage after 4-mos, after contemplating if I should raise my dosage or use it more often, but my skin was upset. Dryness, peelings and flakings are not nice at all. When I settle back to every other day, my skin was happy again.
Therefore I believe, excessive is completely unnecessary. Consistency is key.

I rather like the cream base as well. It moisturizes my skin nicely at night. I don't know if the formulation is the same in other countries as the tubes are different. But in my homeland, it's also manufactured by Janssen.
It's really cheap, though, and OTC, too. $4 for 20gm tube of 0.025% cream and $8 for 0.05%. We don't have the gel here. I forgot if we also have 0.1.

It is important to note that sunscreen usage is crucial. I believe that the good result I get is also due to diligent and proper use of high-protective sunscreen daily. That is also due to the fact that albeit having medium skin, I burn pretty easy. I also have got freckles and a sunspot on my temple.

Overall, I'm really content with Retin-A and will keep repurchasing. It's now a staple in my routine.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2013 10:02:00 AM More reviews by xoxounicorn

This product helps to speed up the fading and healing of my acne scars. New scars peel away completely within a week. Old scars are more stubborn though but definitely faded significantly. I'm on my 3rd tube already! And I always stock up.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2013 11:16:00 AM More reviews by dblou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have both 0,025% and 0,50% versions but this far i've only used the 0,025%. It doesn't irritate my skin at all. I was actually waiting that my skin would start to sting but it didn't. The only thing is that if you apply it too often your face gets really dry. I think the tube is going to last me forever because you only need a little bit. It's really effective on pimples and zits. The only con is it's a bit expensive in here, 50g tube around 17e(22,5$) and you have to have a prescription from a doctor.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2013 8:17:00 AM More reviews by Ann8929

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought the generic 0.025% from AllDayChemist. I had been using RoC Multi-Correxion Night Cream for several months before starting to get used to retinol. Since starting the tretinoin gel my skin has definitely improved, is "glowy" and almost totally clear. I did not have a bad "purge" as some other users have, but my skin wasn't too bad to start. I used a neutral lotion as a base "buffer" then appled the tretinoin gel over it to start. When I first started I applied every other day and sometimes skipped additional days on my chin and mouth area as I did have dryness and slight peeling there. I'm so glad I tried it, I was terrified after reading about horrible breakouts and dryness, but it wasn't bad at all for me.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/3/2013 1:26:00 AM More reviews by thisisnothollywood

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Used this for about 5 months and although it did burge the blckheads, it never got rid of the, totally...they would come back.
I got large pores from using Retin a, and the initial breakout aswell. If I put too much on, ym skin would break out and dry out badly....

Its very expensive too, here In Australia you have to get a prescription from the dr before buying it.
It also gave me brown spots/ marks on my forehead.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 1:41:00 AM More reviews by valerie633

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have had acne for years and used most everyone combination of creams etc. My skin has been clear for two years and if you have insurance you should get Ziana. Retin A is ok if your acne is mild. Ziana is very expensive if you don't have insurance it is $500. I get samples from my derm and it works like magic. I also take spirnolactone 100 mgs and Melquin to lighten dark spots ($20) In the past my skin was so bad at times I didn't leave the house if I didn't have to. My skin is so clear now that I don't have to wear foundation, just some bronzer.