November 26, 2014 | 1012 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2014 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Rose80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My worst nightmare. I used it for 3 months 3 years ago and still my skin has not recovered. I look much older than my age. I used to look younger. My sister who is 10 years older has better skin than I do.
Retin a (avicid) made my skin thin, saggy and top layer wrinkled. It has not recovered since. Nowdays I only use organic coconut oil on my face so it wont get even more irritated.

If someone knows how to a way to heal A-vitamin damage, please let me know. My face really has not recovered, even it has been over 3 years since I used this horrible cream.

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2014 7:07:00 PM More reviews by verwaande

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used this cream about 2 to 3 months and it has ruined my skin. I suddenly got wrinkles around my mouth and on my forhead. My skin also became dry as a dessert. Now I am using all kind of moisturizers to get rid of the side effects caused by the retin a. I kept using it for almost 3 months because I read that you had to go through an ugly stage to get the good results. Well, I can only hope for recovery and I wish someone had warned me about this.
Stay away from Retin A when you have young & delicate skin. This cream could do more harm than good.
If someone knows how to get rid of the wrinkles caused by Retin A, please let me know.

13 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 11:54:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

There's nothing like Retin-a for clearing up acne, this stuff is a godsend. I've been using it since I was nineteen and was suffering from pizza face-level acne, this one product gave me smooth perfect skin in a matter of weeks. No blemishes, no post-acne marks.
I've kept a tube of it around ever since. It's the best spot-treatment in existence, and I also use it all over my face when my complexion starts to really act up (which it still does once in a while even though I'm in my thirties now.)
There really is no substitute. And on top of its acne-fighting powers this is an anti-aging product as well. I hate the fact that it's prescription-only but there are ways around that (thanks, Internet!) The only drawback to this product is the occasional peeling, which is always mild and temporary for me.
This is a staple and an HG. Will always repurchase :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 2:53:00 PM More reviews by Kimmiebat

Go slow with retin-A. It takes your skin quite some time to get used to it. Use it twice a day right away and your face will get red and peel. Start slowly, and build from there. For those with acne: you can get a cream with both retin-A and an antibiotic in it-most effective. Be aware there are different strengths of this medicine. It may help with sebaceous glands (cysts). For aging it's very helpful in combating wrinkles-If you are taking this to even skin tone or get rid of dark spots, you have the wrong product. You want to get prescription (4%) hydroquinone. OTC fade creams have a max of 3%- they work, but it takes longer. Good luck everyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by maxmommy2

I had originally written a bad review for this two years ago, however I'm changing it to reflect what I've experienced with it since. It won't work for everyone, but it is the only thing to keep my skin consistently clear of cystic acne (I still get the occasional small spot, especially when I skip a few days - but the horrible below-skin-level angry bumps are a thing of the past). It does take at least two months of consistent use before you will see results. Also, your skin will look pretty bad at first - more acne, red skin, peeling. However, there are a few things you can do to make it a much smoother ride:

- DO NOT PICK. Your skin is much more fragile and prone to slow healing/scarring while being treated. Picking will cause a world of hurt.

- A simple moisturizer (I use Nivea Soft) is a good buffer and can be applied underneath the Retin A or on top, in order to keep skin from getting too sore and dry.

- It's ok to skip days and apply every other day or a couple of times a week.

- Sunblock!

I've not noticed an improvement in my wrinkles, however I *touch wood* don't have that many to begin with so I'm not too bothered. I get mine from an online pharmacy, and although it's a little bit expensive a small tube lasts for months - and it works.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2013 1:56:00 AM More reviews by originalconfidence

Its been a month and im still flaking despite the fact that it is the lowest percentage 0.025%. When will it stop flaking? As for acne... Well its not that big of a difference

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 7:07:00 AM More reviews by emvie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using Tretinoin Gel 0.025% every other night for around 6-8 weeks (wish I had written down when I started!) and I've already seen a tremendous improvement in my skin! I have oily skin usually, and I noticed a marked increase in oil production on the days after I used retin-a for around 2 weeks but that subsided. I never went through a purging period, I think that's because I only use it every other night. My skin is pretty resilient but between starting retin-a and the weather turning cold, I started experiencing some dryness. I already mixed Rosehip oil with my Clarins daily moisturizer but to combat my newly dry skin I added Jojoba oil, which is supposed to mimic the skin's natural sebum. With this combination, my skin has never looked better! I had big pores, a lot of blackheads on my chin, and whiteheads on my cheeks, all of which never went away, plus at least one active pimple at any given time. All of that has drastically improved. The best part is... I no longer have oily skin!!! I had initially intended to move up to using retin-a every night but I don't think it's necessary as my skin is in such a good state with this regimen. I think the key is balance between using the product and keeping skin adequately hydrated. My expectations have been surpassed--what I wanted was clear skin, I got that plus GLOWING skin! So happy! I also wanted to combat a few fine lines under my eyes and on my forehead. The ones under my eyes are still there but the lines on my forehead have disappeared! The only downside is the price, my prescription cost over $100, insurance wouldn't cover it because I'm 25 years old.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2013 3:48:00 AM More reviews by Lrc1024

I've been using this product for 6 months today and I'm amazed at the results. I'm only 14 but started getting acne at 12. I've never had clear skin for such a long time. I still get breakouts here and there but this product is perfect! I never went through the "purge" stage thank god. I've tried this product before & absolutely hated it. The problem was I never used it correctly. I started again mostly for hyper pigmentation and it's gotten rid of it a ton. It's so weird having smooth clear skin. I still have hyperpigmentation but I hope in time It will get better like it is now! I've tried many things but this has helped best. If you try it stick with it! I have oily skin & use a pea sized amount at night and in the morning use a wash cloth to exfoliate. A good moisturizer is a must! I use a gel one since I have oily skin. I get so many compliments on my skin but it's still not completely how I want it. With foundation my skin is perfect! But since I wear powder and concealer my skin looks good with that too. I'm overall SO happy with this product & recommend it to anyone struggling like I was. Didn't get a 5 star cause I wish it worked a little faster :(. Thank god I got a hold of this now since I'm young & didn't wait any longer! Retin a is my HG I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2013 4:46:00 AM More reviews by zezy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

It is the only thing that actually keeps me away from breaking out while giving me a lovely skin texture! I have used it on and off ~3 years and I am pretty sure I will use it for another 30 or more years!

Pros:
1) Clears skin.
2) Gives lovely skin texture.
3) Reduces wrinkles.

Cons:
1) Comes only with prescription.
2) Not that available to get.
3) Makes skin super sensitive to sun.
4) If over-using, leaves skin flaky.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 1:36:00 AM More reviews by JadaIgwe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I started using tretonin .025% about 2 or so years ago because my friend told me it would help fight wrinkles.

I am pretty sure the retin-a has helped because my skin looks the same if not a little better every year because I use so much more and newer stuff all the time.

If you overdo it you will peel but it is a great product once you find out how much to use