April 19, 2014 | 1557 users online

Treatments - Lavender Essential Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 11:51:00 AM More reviews by Lilybelle911

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I always keep a small bottle of organic essential lavender oil in the house. I have been in love with lavender since I was a girl. I mostly use it for its aromatherapy properties - it is very calming and yet uplifting at the same time. I also keep the dried flowers on hand for making sachets, and I occasionally drink a lavender/tulsi organic tea. I would be careful of drinking the tea because I believe it is estrogenic, and if you are high enough in estrogen as it is, you don't want to create an imbalance (trust me). A friend from days long gone by used to make his own lip balms, and my favorite was one he made with beeswax and lavender oil. I was unaware of lavender's benefits for the facial skin, though from reading here and in one of my aromatherapy books that advises using it for the face, I'm now going to give it a try in a jojoba oil carrier. I used to grow lavender in my little herb garden at our old house. I miss it so much. Lavender is such a wonderful plant, beautiful and useful. It is also an ingredient in Herbes de Provence. It adds a lovely anisic, sweet flavor. Anyway, back to the oil. There are so many uses for lavender oil that I never like to be without it. Here is something I enjoy doing with lavender oil: put a couple of drops on a damp washcloth or sponge, whatever you normally use in the shower, massage it into the material, then allow the steam and streaming water to disperse the scent while you have your shower. Bring it to your face and inhale the scent. Ahhh...it will take you away, but even better than Calgon. Have a lie down for a few minutes afteward to prolong the feeling. A little spa treatment in your own home. :-)

11 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 11:50:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

You can purchase Lavender Essential Oil from a variety of sources - but it is best to ensure you are purchasing food-grade, organic Lavendula Augustifolia and not synthetic Lavendin which is cheaper and used by perfumers to save money.

Real Lavender oil has a fresh herbaceous quality and a light floral sweetness. Some of the best comes from France, Bulgaria and Utah and CA in the US. There are many local, seasonal sources of Lavender in the NE USA - such as PA where I live.

Great for relaxation, inhalation and topical/skin care uses. So numerous in usage!

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 11:11:00 AM More reviews by scs2dd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

price: 2
packaging: 3 (Aura Cacia brand oils have a built-in dropper)
will repurchase

After becoming frustrated at not being able to find an organic, reasonably-priced, alcohol-free moisturizer to fit my combo skin, I made a mixture of lavender and jojoba oil. I made it a 2.5% lavender concentration for use on my entire face (15 drops lavender per 1 oz jojoba) and a 10% lavender concentration for application just on pimples (60 drops per 1 oz jojoba). It's generally accepted that you should not use a concentration greater than 5% over large areas like your face (and not at all for most essential oils), but lavender is the gentlest and safest of the oils as it can even be used by pregnant women. Still, never apply any essential oil straight as it can be harmful to skin and some are known neurotoxins. I see many reviews here claim you can use it neat (straight from its bottle) but this is vehemently advised AGAINST by every source i have come across during my extensive research. Peppermint may burn the skin, citrus oils cause swift sunburn in the presence of UV rays (any UV source, especially tanning beds), sassafras and calamus are suspected tumor-causing carcinogens (among others), and wintergreen is a toxic oil as not even aromatherapists use it. There are many others with precautions and potential side effects so you must read about them thoroughly before using-- I recommend reading these [http://www.naha.org/articles/toxicity_myths.htm][http://www.naha.org/articles/brief_safety%20guidance%20.htm] about toxicity/precautions and this [http://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoils/default.asp#essentialoilprofiles] for profiles of individual essential oils including scent, chemical makeup, uses, warnings and possible side effects. However, they have many benefits when used correctly and lavender is no exception. I chose jojoba as a carrier oil because its particles are extremely small so that it's absorbed quickly and penetrates deeply. Jojoba is also unique in that it is very similar to sebum (your midday oil slick). It's good for combo skin like mine because it kind of tricks your skin into thinking it has produced enough sebum and so it will stop, yet it adds moisture to dry areas of the face, like cheeks, simultaneously. I store it in a glass cobalt dropper. Amber works too, just make sure the glass is dark and store it in a dark place because light degrades the essential oil. Also, keep store your pure essential oil in the fridge as that helps slow degradation too. You only need a tiny amount of the mixture; I put a drop on my forehead, nose, chin, and both cheeks and massage in well. Your face MUST be completely dry for it to absorb because water and oil don't mix.
I've used it twice and have seen some results. My face doesn't feel tight or greasy after I apply and it has not encouraged more natural oil production. I am not acne prone and my skin is actually quite clear, but my monthly pimple-- the painful mountain-beneath-the-skin variety-- that takes 5 days to a week to disappear on me arrived two days ago. Last night I applied my 10% mixture to the area with a Q tip and when I woke up this morning, what had 8 hours ago been an angry, red mound was reduced to a non-painful, barely-raised, pink bump. I'm trying not to jump to conclusions but this doesn't normally occur. Neither mixture is irritating to my sensitive skin. I'll update as I use this more.
P.S. The smell is herby and floral, very relaxing. I've been under the weather and it's helped calm my headache. For the Aveda fans.

*EDIT: I began use of the face and acne mixture Monday night. It's Thursday morning and my pimple has healed.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 8:06:00 PM More reviews by Happythenjaded

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this stuff. I add a few drops to my Josie Maran Argan oil and use as a daily and nightly acne moisturizer... i have ZERO blemishes thanks to this....

also i use the Josie Maran argan cleanser! :) 3 products have saved my face!!!!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2013 12:53:00 AM More reviews by sienna2125

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Initially I bought this for acne & hair growth. However the smell is so strong & it lingers all day. I can't stand it in part because the smell is so cloying & is reminiscent of an old time floral perfume. So I'm sticking with tea tree oil for acne treatment & but am trying to stay the course & keep using it as part of an oil blend for my scalp in order to promote hair growth. I started using this for my hair about 1 month ago so I can not vouch as to its effects on hair growth yet.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2012 11:53:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

I got this after reading the reviews here. I've used it mainly for it's calming properties. Although I fall asleep quickly, I sometimes have a restless sleep and I drop a few drops of this on my pillow. I do feel it makes me sleep deeper and I enjoy the medicinal smell.

I haven't tried it on my face. It seems from reviews here that you can use it as is but the bottle clearly says you shouldn't apply directly on the skin. Maybe I'll try it on some non-sensitive areas but currently I'm using the Clarins Lotus Face Oil so I'm fine with that.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2012 2:13:00 AM More reviews by elin22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I always keep some lavender essential oil on hand. I dab some on my temples when I have a headache and put some under my nose before bed to help me sleep. I also put a drop on any pimples and it helps to soothe and treat them.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2012 10:58:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Ohhh myyy!! I'm getting into oils and so far I love them all!! This is amazing. It actually helps heal cuts and scrapes, burns etc. and so started to add it in my tea tree aspirin and witch hazel toner. It adds such a nice smell and really makes it work better. I feel like this heals blemishes faster than anything else. Then I follow with jojoba and I'm better than I ever was. I also use this in my hair as a mask to keep hair strong and healthy and prevent fall out. I just started but my hair feels great (more from carrier oils, but hopefully this and the others help with scalp health). My daughter really likes to smell it as a calming agent and I do too. I think it also helps with scars and stretch marks (so I hear). Really like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2012 5:08:00 AM More reviews by st3f4n42srb

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff. I actually stopped using my medicated acne treatment (a prescription gel I've been using for years) & replaced it with this at night. My skin has improved so much!
1. I love the scent.. It makes me sleep very deeply.
2. My skin is now almost completely clear. There was an initial purging process, but it was miniscule, bringing up tiny whiteheads, those of which went away instantly due to the essential oil.
3. My face was LOBSTER RED for almost my entire life. This morning I looked at my face & there was NO redness. I saw my actual skin colour for the first time since early childhood.
4. My acne scarring is fading.
5. My skin is less oily throughout the day.
6. My skin doesn't have dry, flaky patches anymore!
7. This makes my skin feel so soft...
8. I love it. There are no negatives.

**At first, used it for 3 days in conjunction with my acne gel. Then, used it for a week by itself. Amazing progress.
Edit: Been over a month. Still going strong.

24 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2012 2:17:00 AM More reviews by yummizu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I use it undiluted, 3-4 drops and apply it with my fingers to acne spots (which is basically all over my face:(). It works faster and better than Tea Tree Oil, calms down active pimples overnight and I've been using it for one week and noticed how my post-acne dark spots are slowly fading.
HOWEVER, the smell is SO STRONG, even tea tree oil doesn't seem so strong. The smell makes my eyes sting even though I don't apply it anywhere near my eyes.
But I am such a tired acne sufferer, I don't care, as long as it works.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No