November 24, 2014 | 1364 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Cortex 1" Flat Iron (Tourmaline Ceramic Plate)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2010 7:03:00 PM More reviews by strawberrynkiwi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got it for like $40cad, so for the price I give it a 5 star. My hair is pretty straight usually, but I decided I needed one because my long grown out bangs keep falling on my face. I have the first gen 1 1/4 inch cortex in red. I have used my friend super expensive flat iron, so obviously it wasn't as good as that. But for the price and paid, and considering it does the job well, just takes some time. I'm happy with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2009 11:58:00 PM More reviews by Kaylabean

The girl at the mall tried to talk me in to this for 130$ I liked it and kept in in mind when I looked for it on ebay for only 30$. For 30 bucks, it's a great flat iron. For 130$ I don't know. Ive never paid that much for one before. I like it and use it everyother day so I would bur again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2009 3:17:00 PM More reviews by bebi102

I have the Cortex Limited Edition Skull Print Pro Flat Iron. I've been using it for about 3 months now and I have to say that I love it! I have very thick hair but 1 swipe per strand will make my hair pin straight and very smooth.

I also use it to curl my hair and my curls last all day (even through the next day when I sleep on it). My curling iron hasn't been touched since I've bought my Cortex flat iron.

The only con to this is that there is no temperature adjustment (it's set at 410 degrees F) but it's no big deal for me since I'd probably set it that high anyways.

An added bonus - it's a cute design! =)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2009 2:44:00 PM More reviews by mintqueen65

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this at Winners for $30. My friend has the exact same one I bought and she paid $200 for hers so I got a sweet deal. I don't know why some people are saying there's no heat adjuster, because mine has one :S. Anyways, it's amazing, I've converted all my friends to this one (they all bought one too). It heats up super fast and it gives sleek shiny straight hair. I can curl with it too. Love this bad boy.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2009 3:39:00 PM More reviews by darkhunter76

Well I am a longgg time CHI user, I've had one for over 5 years and it's been pretty good, but of course not as good as the first day I got it. My hair doesn't stay straight all day and I can never use it to curl my hair anymore. I've been looking around and considering sedu or another CHI but cry a little inside when I look at the price tags for each. Then a couple of my friends mentioned how Winners (States it would be TJ MAXX) has some decent straighteners around. I went and saw this brand and went home and hardcore googled/makeupalleyed it and got some pretty impressive reviews and even comparing it to CHI! I went back the next day and purchased it for 45.00.

I bought the CTX 15Z model and its a awesome design of zebra. There's pinks, purples, blues, blacks, skull pattern, cheetah pattern and zebra. I really love that there's some cool designs (love my zebra!) Like the other user reviews state it goes up to 410 degrees and heats up pretty fast. The cord is suppper long, like I could be on the other side of my room using it, which is very convenient

. I just tested it on blow-dried hair, used some heat protective spray and had UH-MAZINGLY straight, soft, shiny and smooth hair within minutes! Such an improvement from my retired CHI. I completely agree with people who compare it to a CHI and I would totally recommend anyone whose on a budget to get this. I want to kick myself for blowing 190.00 on a CHI when this 45.00 baby was kicking around.

If you are considering a straightener, GET IT! there are many reviews on youtube btw if you want to see how good the results are.

So happy with this purchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2009 5:24:00 PM More reviews by raindropz

My rating is more or less a 3.5. I think this straightening iron is fine...i bought mine at a kiosk at the mall. A friend / I each bought one, so we bargained for a discount (I think we got 2 for something like $170 CAD). Give the bargaining a try if you're buying more than 1 ;)

The pros:
- i got a deal

- ceramic plates

- heats up pretty quickly and goes up to a high temperature (so that you don't damage your hair by going over what was already 'flattened').

- after you straighten, it leaves your hair soft / shiny, so that's definitely a plus.
However! - it does snag your hair and that's a bit annoying.
I would not repurchase, b/c i'm still kicking myself for thinking that this would be just as good as a chi (at regular price, it's only very slightly cheaper). It's NO chi that's for sure...if i were you and I was going to spend around $100 for this, I'd dish our the extra $50 or so and get a chi! :) continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2009 1:32:00 AM More reviews by mlssrn40

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this flat iron!!! I purchased mine at The Ex at a kiosk and paid $120.00/cnd for the - pro-special edition zebra patten 1". It works great. Like the previous reviewer mentioned it gets very hot and there is no temp control - so be careful. It works great on my thin fine hair because I only need one quick pass, it also works great on my daughters super think wavy hair. It doesn't pull or snag the hair and it heats up super fast. I'd like to master the curls but will have to practice.

Here is the info from the website
•100% Tourmaline plates for healthier hair and a high gloss shine
•Temperature to 410˚ F
•Far Infrared (FIR) technology locks in moisture and natural oils
•Sleek, ergonomic, non-slip grip designed for professional comfort
•Hooked end for salon professional storage and easy hanging
•Swivel cord prevents tangling
•110-120 volts, 60 Hz
•60 watts
•1 year warranty

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2009 4:54:00 AM More reviews by angellove1705

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Best straightener ever! I saw this at a cart in the mall and could not afford the over $200 price tag. I actually bought mine off of ebay. I have the 1.5" size and it is just the right size for my hair length. I have bought other straighteners for way more money and not been as impressed. This straightener does a good job styling my hair wet or dry. Keeps it straight for days. I have extremely curly hair. Before I had this straightener I used to have to use straightening gel/cream, blow dry for over 30 minutes and then straighten for over 20 minutes. Now with this product I can have my hair done in under 15 minutes without any other products. I have medium to long hair. This heats up quick, comes with an adjustable temperature gauge, and withstands lots of use. This straightener looks as good as the day I bought it. My mom was so impressed she had me buy her one. I am impressed with how nice my hair looks. I have curly, colored monthly, damaged hair and sensitive scalp. I can pull a comb through it with no problem. As I straighten I use a comb to style into place. I have never notice it burn my hair or leave a bad smell. If this ever goes bad, I will definitely repurchase. I would recommend this to pretty much anyone. Great product! I don't know why some do not like it!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/4/2009 2:09:00 PM More reviews by ttyn

Wasnt too impressed with this product.
Still debating if i should return it..

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2009 3:11:00 AM More reviews by stayckay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the best flat iron you can buy if you are on a budget. I got this pretty and pink flat iron at TJ Maxx for $29.99. I had never heard of Cortex, but my flat iron that I had at the time had just died so I decided to give this puppy a try. I'm so glad I did! If you can't shuck out the money for a Chi, this is definitely the next best thing. Chi's are better...but this has a much more wallet friendly price tag with great quality. The only thing I have to complain about is there is no temperature adjuster. You get 410 degrees or nothing. If temperature variance is a big thing for you, I wouldn't recommend this. Otherwise, it's a steal! :)