Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

3.9

Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May contain: Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Greens, Chrome Hydroxide Green, FD&C Red No.40 Al Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Got the palette a few months ago, and the delivery was fast! I love the package and they gave me a free eye-shadow sample - too! Not a usual thing.
As a beginner, I really love this palette and great colors to chose from. But it's not for a pro make up artists.
Sometimes the colors doesn't show a lot, but I still think it is a great palette.

I bought mine off Coastal Scents website and I am actually really pleased with their service. It took 1.5 weeks to ship to Australia.
What I think is that Coastal Scents products are over hyped. Sometimes even way over hyped. But I do admit that their products are extremely cheap, and extremely worth the money.
I am pointing out to those youtubers and bloggers who rave about this palette and saying that 'the shadows are extremely pigmented, buttery and great for makeup artists'. It's not entirely true.
First of all, the pigmentation of their shadows are inconsistent (some mattes are powdery, some are not pigmented at all, some are very pigmented, some are buttery and some are hard as rock).
Second, they're not buttery!! They feel a bit gritty when swatched, it feels a little 'cheap' (even my essence shadows feel so much softer).
Third and last, they're not exactly for makeup artists! Well, to some extent, like new makeup artists who are just starting out, yes. But I feel the quality of the shadows don't live up to makeup artists' standard (they're definitely not comparable to MAC's, i mean, even the cheap Essence brand, which is my fave).

However, there is no point in complaining, get one and see for yourself. I am getting myself a 120 palette soon but I don't think I will be purchasing off CS website, since I feel the quality of the shadows will probably be the same as the Chinese reselller ones (except it doesnt have the CS logo on it) and it's much cheaper (in terms of product, and shipping).

Let me give you some background info first before I dive into this product.

I'm young, I am 16 , so money just doesn't grow on trees for me. Haha. I don't have a steady job yet and I'm not a professional, so you can see where the bias come.

Now to the review- I LOVE this palette, for a couple different reasons.

1. The colors - I love all these colors ; they are bright, pretty, and REALLY fun to play around. I would say this is more an amateur palette. I did stage makeup for a community theater's play of "The Little Mermaid", so it was an awesome go-to for the greens and the blues and i made some pretty blended looks. They do blend very well. The colors for me are a 10, but once again thats bias...because I don't really work with everyday looks.

2. The Pigmentation - Its pretty well pigmented, I mean its not amazing but the coloring is pretty decent, especially the dark colors. They all are awesome except some of the lighter colors I feel aren't as pigmented. I'd give the pigmentation a 7.5

3. The Price/Shipping/Overall - Is amazing lets just say that. I think I got the palette for 19 with shipping, but they gave me like some weird discount. I also received a little pot of a free sample of their mineral eyeshadow, which was a cute and awesome surprise, I love it. There was an "I <3 Makeup" bumper sticker in the box too, which is ADORABLE. The packaging was good, everything came intact and nothing was damaged or broken. I give it a 9. :-)

If you want to check out any of my work, check out my instagram page @makeupbymadz , and you can see that look I was talking about from the Little Mermaid using all costal scents colors from the palette! Be sure to follow me if you like what you see ! thanks! :-)

i bought it and i love it!!

I got the 44 pallete for a christmas gift from a friend. I was only 17 at the time so i did use A LOT of the bright neon colors but now that im 21 i noticed im not really into the bright neon colors anymore.i tend to stay to the neutral colors now. I do wear the neons every now and again but not all the time so basically half of the palette is going to waste. Also it came with some blushes but i dropped the palette one day and they broke so the packaging isnt all that great. They are very pigmented and pretty but i half to dip into the shadow 2 times to get the desired color. Also the do have a lot of fall out. Im really wanting to get a too faced pallete but dont have the money right now so i just stick to this for now but as soon as i get another pallete im tosding this to my neice or saving it for my girls for when they can start playing with makeup

I bought this a while back and I wouldn't say I love it, but it is a good palette.
As there are 88 eyeshadows there are lots of colours and shades to pick from, which I absolutely love because I love using different shades of a colour when doing my eye make up.
What I disliked about this product is that the colours are generally grouped together, but they neither go from lightest to darkest shade, and there are some colours just dotted about fraying from their colour group, which irritates me.
The colours are good though, I've tested them all and each has great pigmentation and coverage. They are easily blendable and spread very easy too. You don't have to totally rub your heart out to get a reasonable amount of shadow on your brush/applicator either!
The eyeshadows are around the size of a 5p coin, which is pretty small, but they are dome shaped which means that there's more than you actually think and they last a good while!
The price I got mines for was 23.99, I'm not sure if that's the actual price of the palette or whether I got a little discount, but I feel this is a reasonable price. For 88 quality eyeshadows it's a medium priced palette, as there are definitely some that are more expensive, and you could probably find one or two cheaper though whether they'd be good quality or not is unknown.
I would recommend this if you're looking for one palette that will serve you for a good while at a reasonable price.

The 88 original pallet is an ok pallet. I think that it is great for a beginner due to the fact that there are a lot of colors with decent pigmentation. Making the pallet a good option for people without a lot of colors. However, I am not impressed with the finishes of the shadows it just doesn't compare to the higher end brands like urban decay. The matte colors aren't buttery they are somewhat dry. Also, I don't find the colors to have any nuances to them if you know what I mean. I like my shadows to have an underlying sheen to them or variations in the color and I just didn't find that to be true in this pallet. Bottom line. I won't repurchase since I am a bit of a makeup junkie and like to try new products and I don't tend to repurchase pallets unless they have a shade that I can't live without.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

88 Original; Great beginner palette for those wanting to dabble in colored eyeshadows. These colors are super pigmented with a nice range between them. If you tap off the excess shadow from the brush before applying to your lid and you won't get fallout. I also have a review on the 88 Warm Palette so yall can check that out too. The pot sizes are the size of a dime but you won't hit pan anytime soon cause there's so many and, again, really pigmented. 88 eyeshadows for about $20...how cool is that? You've probably seen the BH Cosmetics Palette which is the exact same thing as this (refer to the comment below about asia distribution.) All in all I would recommend as a great starter colored palette.

I think this is a great eyeshadow palette.
The colors are pigmented and blend really good.
some of the color (the black) is a bit crumby.
The packaging is great not the best to travel.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

not sure if anyone has mentioned this but all of the products are made in asia and then repackaged with different branding. have a look at chinese wholesale sites and you will find the pricing a lot cheaper especially if you buy more than one. One of the shadows was broken in transit which i can live with considering there were so many similar colours to choose from.
The quality is OK, there is ALOT of fall out so best to put your foundation on after applying the shadow. For the price its worth it though, there are colours I'm now using which i normally would not have purchased from other higher priced brands. I have worn the product both to work and out i do find that there are specs of shadow falling under my eyes. I have since bought the concealer and blush but am yet to try them.

Top Rated Coastal Scents Products