October 20, 2014 | 1895 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Loose Setting Powder - Translucent

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by Kfunk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I always hated loose powders, mostly because of the messiness UNTIL I got this powder. I received a deluxe sample of this with a LM counter purchase. This is the ONLY powder that controls my oily skin all day. I previously used MAC Blot Powder. I will definitely be purchasing a full size when I'm done with the sample!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2012 10:07:00 PM More reviews by annalynne

This is quite expensive, but you get a lot of product $34/1 oz. It's completely translucent and doesn't add any color nor does it leave a white cast behind. I wouldn't say that it gives a matte finish, more like a natural semi-matte. The product is really sheer, so i have to apply more than usual.

*EDIT: 9/4/14
Unfortunately, this is now $37/1 oz.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2012 1:29:00 PM More reviews by mariannepilgaard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

So easy to get a natural result with this powder. Classic loose powder packaging - jar with screw top, dispensing plastic lid underneath. I have used this several months on a regular basis (at least a few times a week) and it still looks like it is completely full - you get a lot of mileage out of this one...

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 6:20:00 PM More reviews by BebiMou

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love, love love! I've been on a hunt for the perfect setting powder for sooo long. I wanted something colorless, smooth and finely milled, and not full of silica that will ruin your flash photos. This stuff is great. I this is probably 3 times the price of the setting powders I've used in the past, but it's definitely worth it. It doesn't leave any color or chalkiness (it may on dark skin, not sure), it's super smooth and finely milled, and leaves a perfect finish to your foundation, or concealer, or just a bare face. It's great for under your eyes to set your concealer too. If you get the LM Undercover Pot concealer duo, this is the powder that it comes with, so that's further evidence that it's great for setting under eye concealer. This stuff stays put, helps your foundation stay put, controls oil, doesn't stick to dry patches, and just really is a great finishing touch to your makeup. I will buy again, though it won't be for a long time since you get a ton of product which makes the price not hurt so much. The packaging is sturdy and functions very well. The sifter doesn't have huge holes and the holes are just the right size to get out the perfect amount. And then you have the big lid to get the powder on your brush or puff just the way you like it. It may be too big for travel, but you can always put some in a small travel size sifter that you can get at Sephora or TKB trading. So, one more time, I love, love, love this stuff.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by faireyfantom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This powder does leave a beautiful finsh. Unfortunately it did not stay that way regardless the foundation/primer/concealer combo under.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2012 3:25:00 PM More reviews by JAL1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I wanted to try a loose powder for a while so decided to get this one. I like that it's translucent, all LM concealers, foundations etc are too dark for my skin. The packaging may not be the handiest, you have to get a little in the lid etc etc. However, it ends up looking quite powdery and not as natural and dewy as I would like it to. I don't have very oily skin though, so maybe this would work for people with oilier skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2011 9:34:00 PM More reviews by Anna12345

I have been using this product for a few days and I am impressed with it so far.

The best thing about this product is that it is "actually" translucent once applied, although it looks very white in the container.

I have not experienced any caking or "curdling" with this product unlike other powders I've tried.

It also controls shine for many hours without making my skin look dull or heavy.

I can see why this product is so popular; it is the best translucent powder I have used in terms of appearance.

In terms of ingredients, I have acne-prone skin, so a concern with this product is that the talc contained in it may cause pimples. But I haven't experienced any new pimples yet. I hope it will stay this way because I like this product very much.

My only issue with this product is that it accentuates dry/flaky skin, so it's important to keep skin moisturised. However, I think this is a problem with all powders, not just this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2011 12:33:00 AM More reviews by Eddwina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow! I absolutely love this powder. I was a bit hesitant at first buying a loose powder as we all know how that goes in the makeup bag...however, as this is a setting powder I figured I wouldn't need to take it with me during the day anyway.It's fantastic! I think it is working really well too becasue I use it with the Laura Mercier powder puff and press the powder into the skin in the mornings. It sets my foundation competely without looking chalky even though it's translucent. It has the most gorgeous fine texture and makes my skin feel super smooth and I have had lot's of compliments for my porcelain complexion just lately.
Usually with this powder I will not have an excessive amount of shine even after a really long day in the office. I'll be interested to see how this goes in humid Sydney summer so I'll get back to you on that one. But so far, even after gym or sweaty, usually shiny face days it's been smooth sailing. I've been using Elizabeth Arden extreme conditioning cream spf 15 under it and even though that is a slightly oilier day cream it hasn't bled through this powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2011 9:16:00 AM More reviews by mellypmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had this in the undercover pot and i had it for a long time before i realized how great this setting powder was. It doesn't give you the dusty cakey look and keeps your makeup looks nice and matte. I also have oily skin and this doesnt make it produce more or make it look super oily after a little while (like some powders can do) I will purchase the full size.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2011 1:53:00 AM More reviews by ericaspinky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I pick up a bunch of this product with my fingers (this could get messy if you don't have steady hands) and rub & blend it into any area with noticeable pores and lines. The creamy texture of this powder allows me to do this successfully. It has to be this particular loose powder; the other Laura Mercier powders cake or ball up when I do this.

I noticed that if you use this method on a bare, foundation-less face, it tends to produce the dreaded "polka-dot" effect (especially on your nose) because the powder does have a light beige tint to it. However, this could be your savior when your foundation starts to fall apart while you're out. The powder performs wonderfully as a touch-up, even on slightly-to-moderately sweaty skin. Also, if you're less than pleased with the results after using a foundation that has great coverage but looks cakey/accentuates your pores and wrinkles, applying the LM powder in this manner will save the day by producing an effective "soft-focus" effect.

This product is a bit drying, so I intend to put more care into making sure my skin is well-moisturized when I go to sleep (so that I wake up with a well prepared "canvas" in the morning). Also, I have no idea how this would fare in hotter weather and oilier skin. I will update accordingly.