July 30, 2014 | 964 users online

Mascara - Estee Lauder - Sumptuous

rated 3 of 5 on 9/14/2013 11:59:00 AM More reviews by LoreleiK

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Aaa. This bring back memories. My mum bought me a set of the brand makeup in my first years of learning how to do makeup. The mascara came with the set. I don't remember much about how I looked but the smears/smudge on the hot days of summer. Yeah.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2013 4:40:00 PM More reviews by rhody

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I am incredibly picky about mascaras, and I have bought/used this one over and over. It works very well on my long but sparse lashes, making them look long and full. I can use multiple coats and get good results, without a great deal of clumping.

I prefer a dry mascara and this one is not exactly dry, but it's not runny and thin, either. It's just right (for me at least).

I've also tried the Sumptuous Extreme, which I hate. The original is best.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2013 3:06:00 AM More reviews by ccarlino

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

EL seems to have changed the formula in this mascara, as this was my holy grail for a while. Not so now. Some reviewers note using a primer -- don't have time for those extra steps in the morning. Will continue to search for a good mascara.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2013 3:48:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I received two of these tubes as a gift in a package. EL's Sumptuous Mascara is an excellent product for my short, blonde lashes that can hardly be seen without any mascara applied.
They lasted quite some time and didn't dry out for awhile. The tubes however were so full of black gobby mascara I actually had to wipe the excess off each time I pulled the wand out against it each time very carefully or I would have a lot of excess mascara on my eyes.Then again, the tubes lasted forever.
The mascara darkens my lashes well. I did have to apply quite a few coats. I have to because my lashes can't be seen otherwise. The wand lets me apply as many applications as I want without any clumping at all, but that's because I do wipe the excess off first. When I say I apply many coats, I don't even count how many. I first apply two coats, then I use a curler, then I apply the rest of my applications. I don't find that this mascara weighs my lashes down at all. They keep their curl and they are also lengthened beautifully. For my bottom lashes, I use my E.L.F. Mascara Shadow Shield and I can coat them with a few more layers and they're longer than usual. I did have some flaking, just bits, and I see that towards the end of the day, but I have that with any mascara that isn't considered waterproof, etc., so it's not a concern for me.
Removal is very easy. I've used my regular cleanser or oil cleansing method and both have worked well to remove this mascara easily. No breakage at all of lashes.
This is a mascara that makes my lashes look dark, lengthens my lashes with many coats, is very easy to apply in however many layers I want with ease, doesn't clump at all as long as I take care with application, flakes mildly, doesn't smudge easily, is easy to remove, has an easy wand to handle, is long-lasting, doesn't dry out, looks very natural and is not that expensive when I factor in all the pros. For me, it's used as my mascara day or night. If I want a more glamorous look , I can just coat my lashes more and add more effects with another mascara that either has another color or one that might have a volumizing effect. But this one has been my base mascara and good to go mascara alone all by itself. As another MUA'er has said, at the expense of little critters, it's not worth it to me to purchase. Hopefully, EL will stop the testing on animals. But since I went through two tubes as gifts, I felt it fair to give a decent and fair review.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2013 9:57:00 PM More reviews by Paisleyann

I'm actually impressed. I have like 10 lashes on each eye (not really but it seems like that) and this mascara really did make a difference. Nice volume, good length, no clumping, smearing or flaking. I've been on the hunt for a really good mascara since Max Factors 2000 calorie was nixed in the USA so its been a few years and many tubes of really crappy mascaras I've had to endure. I actually said the word "wow" out-load to my mirror first time I used this. I'm not happy its $22 bucks a tube and Estee Lauder tests on animals. My hunt will continue for a better priced mascara that doesn't involve furry critters. But when I gotta look good, this will be my go to tube.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2013 8:09:00 PM More reviews by cnaska

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Got this as a gift and it was great! Added good volume and length to lashes and does not clump.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2013 3:42:00 PM More reviews by CarolynK70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I received a free sample with the primer on one side and the mascara on the other. Love them both!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2013 7:44:00 AM More reviews by Georginaa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm not a mascara person because I have sparse and short lashes and I dislike the "spider legs" or clumpy effects, Then I tried this today. Oh my. I never buy backup products but I seriously may this time.

Why I love this:
- It actually does what it says. It lifts your lashes and volumizes them so much.
- Very waterproof. Lasts all day.
- No funny clumps. Yes the brush is quite large so don't be too heavy-handed in application. I usually apply around two light coats.
- It makes my lashes look so natural, as if I have not worn mascara.
- Very buildable. You can achieve a dramatic eye with this without having messed up/dirty lashes all over.

Verdict: HG!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 2:31:00 PM More reviews by Lyra16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This gave my eyelashes nice definition and length- check pictures mine has Lyra16 on it. (: That's how happy I was with this product and I had to show my results.
This is more on the wet side of a mascara. This has not flaked on me, just one or two little flakes while brushing out the mascara. When I finish applying I am worry-free. Since this is wet enough to move around I can easily remove any clumps which can happen if applied too heavily. I always brush through my lashes as this creates a nice fuller look. I use a soft touch when applying this mascara and I can usually avoid applying too much and producing any clumps by doing so. Takes not time at all to avoid this. This holds a curl and feels so weightless. This does not irritate my eyes like many mascaras have, especially by the end of the day. The lasting power is great. Overall, I am really impressed. I received this as a sample and will definitely repurchase (:
**Update** I repurchased in Brown. Upon opening it is noticeably bright brown, so I thought it would appear so on my eyelashes which I did not want. The result is very dark (but not "black") eyelashes so it looks believable! I highly recommend the brown if you want your eyelashes to look believably long, defined, darker, and thicker. It is so nice to have finally found my perfect mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2013 7:28:00 PM More reviews by ChoiLatte

This mascara is amazing. I got this as a free sample so unfortunately, I don't know the price. When applied correctly, this mascara gives me feathery lashes that are full and very long. Only a few coats are needed for this mascara to lengthen my lashes. So far, this would be my HG mascara (until I find another one that even more amazing).