The Body Shop Seaweed mattifying moisture lotion SPF 15

3.1

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this product! I have combination, sensitive skin. This moisturizer did not make me break out and it kept my skin from looking oily, which is major for me since my T-zone usually looks wet by the end of the day! Since I have combination skin, the lotion did not completely moisturize my dryer cheek area. After all, this lotion was intended for oily skin. But it's not like my dry areas were uncomfortable and flaking; they were moisturized enough so that they weren't dry, if that makes any sense. Not dry, but not moisturized; I guess they just turned out normal. Normally, this would be around $20 at TBS, but I got this on Black Friday where they had a 3 for $30 dollar deal, so I got it for only $10! They have this deal a few other times during the year as well. But overall, I loved how this felt on my skin and the results were satisfactory. I just finished my first bottle and I will be purchasing this again!

on 7/8/2012 3:02:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Cons: Makes me look oilier than its marketing would suggest, fails to hydrate my dry patches, and aggravates problem spots. I applied this moisturizer as a breakout on my face was winding down into relative obscurity, and it actually caused the blemishes to flare up again!

Pros: The Body Shop has a risk-free return policy.

It honestly gives me no pleasure to jump on board the hate train for this product (no, really), but I have to do it because you can find better products for reactive skin at CVS or Walgreens, for a much better price point (e.g. Aveeno, Neutrogena, or even Olay). I'm willing to pay a higher price for a product that is actually superior to others in terms of quality, but I just don't see the benefit here. Of course, I'm also just kind of bitter because this was NOT a good time for my skin to freak out. Let that to be a lesson to you all: Never ever change your routine right before you must get an official photo taken! Or before an event! Even if you think it might be that one magical product that makes you 10x prettier overnight.

Anyway, I am willing to give the Body Shop the benefit of the doubt and say that this might be a better moisturizer for someone with a different skin situation / chemistry than I have. However, the sales associate in their store did actually steer me to this product after I described my skin problems, and I know this moisturizer is marketed towards combo skin. Either way, it's a letdown.

on 6/16/2012 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I switched to using this product, which is recommended for combination/oily skin, after I found that the Tea Tree Skin Clearing Lotion was too drying. While I enjoy the scent of this product, and the fact that it contains SPF, I'm not so sure it does a great job at "mattifying" my skin. After applying this lotion my face appears a bit oily in some spots, particularly my forehead, and as the day goes on this just worsens. I'm guessing it's the SPF which is giving my skin the oily feeling, since my skin feels similar to how it would feel while wearing sunscreen. Although it is recommended for combination/oily skin, I'm not so sure this product is the best for my skin.

on 6/6/2012 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really wish this worked for me like it does for others. When I put it on, even just a small amount, it made my face feel kinda greasy and sticky. And in a couple hours my skin was as oily as usual. I bought this with high expectations since I have oily, acne-prone skin and a lotion with a combo of moisturing + mattifying + SPF is like a dream come true, but after trying it out I was pretty disappointed. But if it works well for other people then that's great I suppose, I envy them!

on 1/28/2012 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is my go to day moisturizer. I absolutely love how this makes my skin soft but not greasy or leave any residue. It absorbs quickly into the skin. Best of all it does not have that sunscreen smell. It keeps your skin from getting oily but doesn't really mattifys the skin. Your skin will still be soft.

on 1/19/2012 2:49:00 PM

Took the plunge & bought this to try since I like the other Seaweed items from TBS. I don't particularly dislike this, but I don't love it. It does not mattify, and it feels moderately greasy to me, although not necessarily greasier than other SPF moisturizers. It didn't break me out but my face was pretty oily by the end of a day using this. I did also have to learn to not put so much on - once I adjusted how much I used it wasn't as bad... I will probably finish this tube but not sure I'll purchase again.

on 6/9/2011 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I am having extremely oily and sensitive skin. Since the sea weed range suites me ,I bought this lotion .Though it didnot break me out but it didnt do me any good either. After 1 hour or so skin gets greasy and also skin looks dull after few hours of sun exposure. Definitely not satisfying..

on 6/3/2011 8:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hello there,
I've been using this product for 2 months, and I think it will lasts longer than I believe like any TBS product I have. :)

I purchased this lotion because I went to Bali, a wonderful island of Indonesia, and I knew I need some sun-protection specifically for my face. It's so important!

First time I used it, I did a mistake. Applied too much and greasy all day! After that I try to use only a small amount (as big as pea, maybe?), and it works! It IS mattifying my face and the sun-shield is the best part. <3

I won't purchase this again, because I want to try the Aloe Range from TBS. :)

I was using Anthelios SX, but found that my face was getting so oily throughout the day. I always had normal/dry skin until i moved from FL (humidity) to AZ (desert!). My skin went crazy!!

This lotion does a great job of mattifying my face throughout the day. Lightweight and has a great fragrance. I tried the whole seaweed line, but it was too drying in combination. However this lotion has worked quite well for me by itself.

UPDATE: Ended up returning this. My skin was still breaking out. Stopped using this and voila! much better. It really is a good product and does a good job of mattifying. I just don't think it worked with my skin type.

on 3/4/2011 4:17:00 AM

I've using this product for 2 years. It doesnt have the greasy feeling and I live in a tropical country. Plus I'm outdoors most of the time. Moisturizes the drier areas of my face & no break outs on my T zone.
I find that sunblock with SPF 50 far more oily than this Seaweed product.If I use sunblock together with it, balances out somehow. I suppose it's the combination of products/make up used with the moisturiser.