April 21, 2014 | 1007 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Dark Brown

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2013 1:30:00 PM More reviews by SavvyChic

I have used this for a few months and kept seeing black in the ends of my hair and it wouldn't lighten or fade ever. I had tried leaving it on my roots only to get my hair to match up, but this color didn't darken my root area as much. I had to get some 20 developer and some bleaching powder from a beauty supply store and lighten it to remove it. Later I used the dark brown 4N by John Frieda and it came out more how I had hoped this shade would look. My ends weren't damaged either, just absorbed the black in this shade.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2012 12:20:00 AM More reviews by voguebeauty

I had fallen in love with the ombre trend and decided to lighten my dark brown hair. Biggest mistake ever.
My at home bleach job turned out horrid, and it damaged my hair incredibly. For the past two weeks i had been trying to cover up the gross color that i was left with.
It was very brassy, almost orange.
The first time i used this color was a few years ago, it turned my dark brown hair black so i was a bit skeptical about using it. I decided it to give it another shot. Although i wish the color wouldn't have turned out so dark, it got rid of the disgusting color i had, and the dark color has made my hair look a lot less damaged. It looks a very deep, dark brown. A little darker than on the box. Hopefully with a few washes itll lighten up.

Def recommended for a quick fix up on a bad bleach job.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2012 10:21:00 AM More reviews by elocinmarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Absolutely the best at home hair color there is. I've been every color under the sun and ALWAYS come back to this color. It's so rich and beautiful and covers almost all other box dyes with ease. Not to mention is so inexpensive so money is never an issue. Not only is it cheap, but it leaves my hair in amazing condition verses even the most expensive brands. Most recently, my hair was very bright red and I was afraid of not being able to cover without stripping or bleaching. This did the trick. Of course, there's still red hues due to how bold the red was before but it turned out as a really nice rich, warm brown that only looks reddish in the sunlight.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/6/2012 7:46:00 AM More reviews by alaras

Looking at the reviews, I bought this from Ebay, so it didn't come very cheap, but it's not available in the UK. I thought the L'oreal ones are not really permanent, and this would last longer. It does last a bit longer than L'oreal. But the result of this is matte and a bit dryer. Initially covered the gray hair strands better than L'oreal. But after 3rd wash, it's gone. It didn't smell bad at all, in fact it's much better than L'oreal hairdyes. I kept it for 25 minutes. Despite my base being rather dark (medium brown), it didn't turn pitch black and I doubt it would turn pitch black unless your hair is kind of Espresso dark. There were no gloves in my box. I wouldn't buy this again. L'oreal has a shinier finish and it doesn't feel so dry as it fades.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2012 12:06:00 AM More reviews by jdaniels3

When I saw this product on the shelf, I was hesitant to buy it at first. It was really cheap compared to other brands. I dyed my hair darker a couple of weeks ago but it was a semipermanent type so I wanted a permanent equivalent. Yes, the packaging and gloves look pretty cheap but that doesn't matter to me. The smell wasn't unbearable but it was more noticeable than the dye I previously used. I left the dye on for 25 minutes as directed. As I was washing the dye out, I noticed the color running was a shade of purpley/black. It worried me because I did not want purple nor black hair. As soon as I dried it, my worries vanished. It is a rich, dark chocolate brown. My hair is shiny and not brassy at all. I am 100% satisfied and will definitely buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2012 2:50:00 PM More reviews by queenofthefluffs

WARNING! Do not put the product on for the full 25 mins unless you want very, very dark hair that looks black in low lighting with brown undertones in good lighting. I left the dye in for 10 mins and wound up with a deep, rich brown. I love it! My hair is usually not shiny or healthy looking and looks great since I dyed it, and I've already washed and conditioned it once.
I would have given it 5 stars if the color name wasn't misleading, but it is. My profile pic is me after dying my hair, and leaving it in for 10 mins. Can you imagine what it would have looked like after 25 mins? It would have been brown/black.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2012 11:43:00 AM More reviews by kloud04

I have always used revlon colorsilk each and every time I dye my hair. It leaves your hair sooo shiny. I have tried many other brands but none have ever done what this does in my opinion. Do not let the cheap packaging of the conditioner fool you. I wish they sold this conditioner on its own because it is really effective stuff. This color DOES however fade over the course of two or three weeks but that is why I like it. It lets my natural highlights show through and does not leave my hair one dimensional and unnatural looking. If you are looking for a haircolor that really holds I would try something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2012 11:14:00 AM More reviews by lanabun

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been looking at buying this for months and I am so glad I finally did! My hair began as a dyed warm medium brown with natural dark brown roots and with this I was able to match my root color almost perfectly. It has only been a few hours since I dyed and dried my hair so I expect the color to fade a little in a few weeks, but right now it is a rich brown-black color with a dark brown shine, only slightly darker than my natural color. If my natural color was Selena Gomez, this hair color would be Kim Kardashian.

I suggest using a bowl and brush to apply the color; it is so much easier, more precise, and has better results than using the bottle. Beware that this hair dye does have a strong odor which at first may seem pleasant but lingers in your hair long after you've rinsed it out; rinse well and consider shampooing to avoid smelling like chemicals all day. Also, don't wait too long to wipe up spills or this will seriously stain your skin for a day or two as well as permanently stain your bathroom.

Bottom-line: Beautiful, shiny dark hair. Love this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2012 4:04:00 AM More reviews by Myoung19

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is great! Exactly the color I wanted- dark but not quite black. I love it. I went from red to this color and it pulled no red through, its a delicious dark dark brown! And so cheap. Who cares if the conditioner is in a plastic tear bag? It tears open easily with ur fingers, just one use, but it conditions just as good add any other. My hair is not dried out like the Feria brand.
If you want a very dark, rich brown this is for you.
I have med/long straight fine hair and one package was more than enough for me.
Definatly will use again. So far no fading and its not brassy at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2012 12:07:00 PM More reviews by deliberateangel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This pure, cheap awesomeness. I have been looking for a dark brown dye to match my natural color that doesn't turn my hair black. Medium brown never seems dark enough and dark brown tends to turn black. I also have had the problem of brassiness and red tones using brown hair colors. I was literally working my way through all the drugstore brands in hopes of finding a good dark brown hair color. I had only to try Nice and Easy (the new formula) and Colorsilk. I had once tried a brown Colorsilk, I don't remember which and it gave me red roots. Looking back this is because I had accidently used a red based color over an ash based color.
I noticed the Colorsilk bottles of color and developer are smaller than other brands.So, I used exactly two boxed on my very thick, very dry, curly shoulder length hair and am glad I did so. I agree with other reviews that say the gloves are terrible. The seams split easily and I got hair color in the spaces between my index finger and thumb and on the tip of another finger. But they faded away in the shower while shampooing my hair.
I used a hair dye bowl and brush to apply. The dye smells slightly minty and slightly like other brands of hair dye. It was a little runny but very easy to apply. I left on for 30 minutes since I have very coarse & resistant hair (no grey's at all).
When I rinsed my hair, it took a long time to get the water to run clear. I shampooed my hair three times with a moisturizing shampoo (Aussie Moist) and then used a deep conditioner (Aussie Deep). The water was almost clear while rinsing the conditioner out.
My advice would be to wash your hair repeatedly after dying or just rinse it for a long time. If one didn't, I could see how it would run and stain things like clothes and pillow cases.
My hair is now very soft and silky and has no signs of damage. The color took very evenly and is a chocolate dark brown with no signs of black or any brassiness or red & orange tones. It matches my natural dark brown color and looks natural.
I am so glad I found this & it's hard to believe I paid $3 a box a Target for this. This is the best dark brown color I have found & is holy grail status.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No