April 19, 2014 | 1564 users online

Other - Spironolactone

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2013 6:39:00 PM More reviews by rootsshopper

I am 32 yrs. old, and have been battling acne on and off for the last 10 yrs. I've tried everything from tetracycline, to minocycline, to birth control, to every topical cream that exists. over time, as many medication users know, they lose their effect and they stop working, and that's exactly what happened. I had (up until a week ago) cystic acne right along my jawline and neck, which is clearly hormonal acne. oddly enough, just on the left side. my right side was only 2 maybe 3 cysts. they were so painful I had to take Advil numerous times to take down the swelling and inflammation, and they would turn into tiny blood clots within the cyst, which took weeks if not months to disappear. needles to say the awful scars that came along with it. i tried Accutane about 7 yrs. ago, and had a horrible panic attack that lasted 4 days and had to be on valium, so my dr immediately took me off of it, and i was back to square one.i attempted to take Diane 35, which heard great reviews for acne, but the migraines were becoming unbearable, and was even hospitalized numerous times. the cost for the bcp, along with migraine meds took me to about $150/month which was getting ridiculous. and always was in panic if I had migraine pills on me or I ran out of them, which gave me so much anxiety. diane was great for my skin, it def helped, but the migraines so bad so I had to stop them after 1.5 yrs. i am now on migraine prevention medication. I do want to mention that I LOVE fashion and makeup and getting all pretty. so aside from the pain involved in having such big cysts, it took a huge toll on my self esteem. finally, being at my last resort, and after developing a high bp condition, I approached my dr in tears practically, until she suggested to take spiro. which was a two fold, cuz in the same time it lowered my bp. I had a horrible initial breakout, again not sure if it was the meds or just my acne was getting really bad until the meds started to work. my dr had started me off on 25 mg, feb 1, 2013. and after a week I noticed my skin/hair was a lot drier, but still breaking out in cysts. after a week I upped my dose o my own to 50mg, and then went back to her 3 weeks later and told her the meds weren't working. she upped them to 75 after 3 weeks, and about a week after that I increased it on my own to 100 mg/day. I read many reviews that said ppl take anywhere from 100-200 for acne, and so I knew I was still in the safe zone. i went back after about weeks and told her I increased it and she authorized it. i as a little nervous b/c my bp was dropping pretty low, but i didn't really care. I was determined to have spiro work for me. the main side effects I was having was peeing a little bit more, not much maybe 2-3 times more, the low bp, dizzy and thirsty. they all disappeared after a month. month 2, still breaking out in painful cysts. I read a lot of reviews and many of them said I takes sometimes up to 5 mos to start working, and to just be patient. and so I did. I was persistent, and still nothing after second-third month. I am entering month 4 (may) and just had a follow-up with my dr, and said I can not under any means increase it due to my low bp/ so I've been steady on 100 mg now for 3 mos and only now, 14 weeks in, I am starting to notice a mild diff in my skin tone. its a lot smoother, no bumps, drier, and so far no new breakouts. im just trying to clear the cysts from the last few weeks. I am still trying to be patient, and hopeful that this will be the med that will finally break this horrendous vicious cycle of acne for me, and clear my horrible skin the way it did for so many others.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2013 1:20:00 AM More reviews by Jackie178

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have used this product for about three years and have had great results. However, recently my breakouts have started up again, I now get small bumps, white heads, and blackheads on the sides of my mouth and forehead. My skin is still ten times better than it was before the spiro. I was on 100 mg and about a week ago my doctor raised my dose to 150 mg a day. I have not seen a difference yet, but hope to soon!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 7:16:00 PM More reviews by edtennisbabe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Like a reviewer below, I never really had acne problems until I had the Mirena IUD. While I loved Mirena for a lot of reasons, the persistent acne was a deal breaker. I was getting deep cysts all over my jaw line...and they were pretty resistant to all of the antibiotics my derm put me on over the course of four years. About four months ago, I had my IUD removed and my derm placed me on 75 mgs of spiro. This has made a HUGE difference! My acne is pretty much gone. I didn't have problems with facial hair, so I can't really comment on that aspect of this drug. For the first time in four years, I have clear skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by Misstish1114

Wanted to give an update- 6 months in. I have Zero pimples. Zero cysts. Zero acne! What!?! This stuff is amazing. Downfall: periods somewhat irregular but not any heavier-went two months without one then have two in one month. I hear BC helps control that though. I am not complaining - the miracles it has done for my skin are worth it!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2013 9:25:00 PM More reviews by amyfarrahfowler

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I took this prescription drug for 6 months and while it did clear up my hormonal acne, the side effects were just too much for me. I started on a rather low dosage (50mg/day) and my TOtM was arriving sporadically about every 12-14 days. Ugh. I thought my body just needed to get used to the medication. I suffered thru this for three months. After discussions with my dermatologist, we cut the dosage in half... down to 25mg/day... and then my TOtM was arriving sporadically every 40-45 days. Ugh. Sure, my skin was looking nice and clear but getting this "surprise" TOtM was not worth it. After 6 months, I went off of Spironolactone completely. Luckily my TOtM went back to a normal monthly cycle. This was the only medication I've ever taken in my life that caused side effects. Yes, it did clear my skin and keep it clear but it was not the right drug for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2013 7:15:00 PM More reviews by valerie633

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best pill for acne. I use 100 mgs and I haven't had a pimple in two years, this is from someone who had new pimples almost every day and little bumps under my skin. Way better than acutane! No side effects for me from it. I use this and Ziana which is very expensive but it works, if you have insurance get it.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/27/2013 2:16:00 PM More reviews by anjrhubb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am only 2 weeks in using Spironolactone which is why I have given a 3 so far. Why a 3?.... Well I'm only 2 weeks in and seeing results already. The peach fuzz I had above my top lip left almost immediately! i went to my dermatologist with complaints of hormonal acne and increase in chin hairs since turning 40. I never suffered with acne before until I turned 40 (a year ago). I get large nodules that are very painful, blackheads and whiteheads. Since I have never experienced acne before, I opted for several over the counter remedies that didn't work EXCEPT one very unlikely remedy that's not suppose to be used for acne....Vicks Vapor Rub!!! I read online that it works on the nodules and decided to try it, it was unbelievable, it really worked to decrease the size and pain literally overnight. This was cool but what about the chin hairs, so I wondered if there was something that could tackle both. As usual I Googled and learned about Spiro, my dermatologist confirmed that this med would be the one for me because it would also help with my high blood pressure. I was already using a water pill for my blood pressure which caused me to urinate frequently so I'm already use to that. But now, I don't need to take my current water pill since Spiro is a diuretic as well.

In some reviews, some people spoke of hair growth, well I welcome that! For years I wore very, very long dreadlocks that eventually thinned my hair out around my edges because of the weight of the locks. I cut my locks off 3 years ago and tried everything to get my edges back, nothing has worked, including cortisone injections into my scalp by my derm. So I am looking forward to seeing if my edges will thicken on this medication.

My cycle is due any day now, this is when I get my acne issues. So far, one small nodule has appeared, glad it's not huge like they usually are. For some odd reason, they form around my eyebrow area. My derm put me on 50mg once a day, I think I'm going to increase to 100mg during cycle time.

I will come back on and give another update next month when my cycle is approaching to see if I get any nodules or chin hairs.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/18/2013 12:41:00 PM More reviews by kreider89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had perfect skin until I got Mirena IUD Birth Control.. two weeks after insertion I started getting bad acne on me cheeks that would actually distort my face. They got big an very inflamed! I went to a dermatologist because I was so confused as to why it was happening. She said Mirena might be the cause, even though my gyno ensured me it would not cause this kind of problem. My dermatologist gave me an antibiotic I took for a couple months. It helped a little. I decided to have my Mirena removed to help. The acne was not as bad, but still there. I went back to the dermatologist and she put me on Spiro. I have a fear of blood tests so I freaked when she said that I had to get tested a month after, but i was so determined to get my clear skin back I tried it. She started me out at 50mg per day. Im at the end of my 5th month and it has helped alot but im SOOO DRY. My face constantly feels dry and tight. I never have any relief unless im under the water in the shower. It really sucks. Im glad this pill helps but I am disappointed that my acne is completely cleared and my face is so so soooo dry :/

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2013 6:10:00 PM More reviews by Windblown88

This is my first review ever, but seeing how well this medicine has worked for me...I couldn't not share my results. I am now 25, going on 26, and I have dealt with bad skin since I was 13. I mean awful skin. Painful cysts and scarring from the cysts, blotchy red skin, bad skin texture...all the standard complaints. I have gone through stages where it would seem to be under control, only to have another major outbreak. Last year, I had a hormonal breakout that was huge cysts all along my jawline (mainly on the left side) and on my chin and cheeks. These didn't go away! Nothing would make the disappear or even decrease in size, really. I want back to my derm after reading about spiro. I was so excited to try it. Previously I'd tried pretty mug every anti-biotic and even accutane a couple times. So my derm put me on spiro (I asked for 200mg/day) as well as ampicillin in addition to my bc (Apri). So going into this I had very high hopes--these we're crushed in the first month. I had a huge purge and broke out worse than before. I felt awful and I was devastated that it had worked so well for others and nothing for me. But I stuck with it and around the 2 month mark, my skin just suddenly was getting better. Cysts were disappearing and I wasn't getting any new ones. Before I would have at least 2 new pimples everyday. I still have a few pimples, right now I have 3 that are healing, which is awesome for me! Oh forgot to mention my wonderful topical Aczone in combination with bp! So I have great hopes of what my skin will look like after another month or so. I encourage everyone to stick with it and you won't be sorry! Good luck!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2013 11:21:00 AM More reviews by clove81

I started on 100mg Spironolactone about 6 months ago. My derm told me it could take 3 months to see results. I was still having hormonal cystic acne for 3 full months, but I held on and by the end of the 4th month I was totally clear. I did, however, have a very bad breakout during the first two months which has left scars. Those are just now beginning to fade (my worst acne spots usually scar and take 6 months or so to fade). My skin looks and feels great, and I have switched to a light coverage foundation, just to achieve an even look.

Now, over 6 months in, I am starting to notice other effects -- mostly good. My hair is not as oily -- for the first time in my life I am able to shower at night and style my hair after it has been slept on. I also have no problem skipping shampoos. I have been shampooing every other day but can probably go even longer if the progress keeps up. Also, the hair on my upper lip is now a short blonde peach fuzz (I have dark hair). It was never that big of a deal, but it did need to be waxed every three months or so. Now it requires no maintenance whatsoever.

I have had some issues with dry skin and scalp. I have had to use Neutrogena t-gel for some issues with very dry and itchy scalp. My skin has been dryer than usual and can get itchy or painful if I do not moisturize every day. However, I have only been taking spiro during the fall and winter months when my skin would be dryer anyway.

I'm really pleased with my results, but the ultimate test for me will be the summer. I have usually had acne in the summer due to sweat and sunscreen. If the spiro continues these great results over the summer, I will consider switching down to 50mg (per my derm's advice) and see if that still works.

Overall, I highly recommend spiro if you have not tried it. Like anything, it doesn't work for everybody. I tried pretty much every topical treatment and had no results. I didn't want to try the harsh Accutane, and didn't really have bad enough acne for it. Just make sure your derm talks to you about Spiro and its side effects (my derm didn't talk much, I will actually not be returning to her -- i had to do the research on spiro and the potentially dangerous potassium-related side effects on my own).