The Egg Bomb

Price: $

Price: $

Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

*Update: The day after reviewing this I did another mask. I made it this time with one egg (including the white) and 2tsp of honey instead of 1tbsp. It worked just as well, actually better I think - easier to spread and stayed wet in my hair longer. At this point it was possibly overkill, but although my hair needs moisture right now I feel like it also still needed a bit more protein just to be sure the strands had strength. From now on I'll likely make it this way, playing with the amount of honey, using it on an as-needed basis.

The majority of recipes listed in reviews here and in blogs contain egg yolk, oil(s) of some kind, yogurt, and/or honey. Many will list this as a moisturizing mask. My review is for a paired down version and before I continue on I must clarify that ALL of these masks (regardless of the ingredients that are added with the egg) are PROTEIN masks. Adding other moisturizing ingredients simply helps to minimize the straw-like result that straight protein can cause. Please TEST YOUR HAIR to see if it is in need of protein. In my case, signs of protein deficiency are lots of frizziness along with hair still being shiny (both when wet and when dry, but very noticeable when wet and scrunching); hair has a hard time holding onto moisture and can start feeling dry at the ends/lengths the longer I go without washing it; it will not hold its natural curl properly; hair will be too soft and mushy in the shower; and if I take a few shed strands (or ones still attached to my head - no more than 3 strands) and stretch them, they will stretch and stretch and then snap or remain at that stretched out length - balanced hair will return to its original length. So if your hair sounds like it's in need of some protein, this is worth trying out.

As stated above, most recipes contain egg yolk, oil, honey, and/or yogurt. I cowash my hair (wash with conditioner) and am trying to minimize clarifying to no more than once a month, while I know that I could need protein treatments more often. cowashing alone will not remove the oil without likely leaving residue behind, so I decided to make my recipe very clean:
* 2 egg yolks
* 1tbsp of raw honey
Both of these ingredients wash out in water alone, meaning this is a mask I can use even on days I do not wash my hair. The egg acts as the protein component while the honey acts as a humectant, which helps to draw moisture into the hair. Of the excluded ingredients, oil will mostly act as a moisture sealant and softener to the hair (an oil like coconut would have the easiest time absorbing into the hair, and coconut oil is a great choice if you are very much in need of protein as it can help the hair keep protein within the strands as opposed to simply coating the hair to prevent water evaporation) while yogurt will provide very mild protein and some softening to the hair.
Eliminating the oil and yogurt from the mixture leaves the mask runny and sticky in the hair. It also definitely smells pretty gross because of the eggs, but it doesn't linger in the hair (perhaps try some essential oils if the smell is too strong, although I'm not sure how those scents would mix together).

Again, to clarify, my hair was in very dire need of protein. I've concluded that I have low to normal porosity hair. But because my strands are mostly fine to medium, they can easily become overmoisturized and thus lack protein. This results in high porosity symptoms, mostly hair that dries faster and hair that doesn't hold onto moisture. So I decided to whip some of this mask up, and applied it to my hair from scalp to tip. It's not going to comb through the hair so sectioning hair will make it easier to apply evenly (which I will do next time!). After applying, baggy or wrap the hair in some saran wrap or an actual plasticy hair cap, then put a towel on over that to help add warmth to the hair so that everything absorbs better into the hair (if you do not have lower porosity hair you may not need to do this). I let mine sit on my hair for an hour because of how much protein my hair was needing, and then rinsed it out in the shower and followed up with conditioner. I did use warm/almost hot water and had no "cooking" issues. I've used straight egg as a mask before and rinsed with hot water and have never had that issue. Applied some conditioner as a leave-in after scrunching with a tshirt. My hair took much longer to fully dry, it felt much much stronger in the shower, but it also felt a bit tangly. When tshirt-drying it I saw that there was almost no frizz like there was my last wash but my hair did not spiral curl. I do know that my hair has some build-up though so that is likely affecting the curl and weight of my hair, and I probably just need some more protein treatments.

Bang for your Buck:
Regardless of what you decide to put into your mask, it's a very price-friendly DIY regardless of how often it's used.

Final Consensus:
Cowashing has taught me that it takes work to get hair to be balanced and to look its best and perform its best. My version of this mask is a great way to add protein when my hair needs it and is definitely something that I will be using as-needed. But ONLY for protein purposes. I'll likely try for a bi-weekly to monthly use once my hair is more balanced, although weekly would be fine.
* Overall Rating: 5/5
* Price: 1/5
* Packaging Quality: 3/5 (not really applicable here though)
* Repurchase: Yes

on 4/18/2013 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I really wanted to love this hair mask after reading so many awesome reviews, but I was a tiny bit disappointed. Still, overall I was impressed - I think I was just hoping for too much. My hair does feel a bit healthier than it did before using this.

To start with, my hair is just a couple inches above waist-length in the back, and thicker than thick. To give you an idea, I've had so many hairdressers pick up less than a quarter of my hair and tell me, "You've got more hair right here than most people have on their entire head." I actually had to use five times the recipe - I tripled it to begin with but it was definitely not enough. I've dyed my hair maybe five times in the past few years, straighten it once or twice a week and am way overdue on a trim, so I did have a bit of damage.

It did feel disgusting during the application, but I didn't notice much of a smell. I applied, covered my hair and let it sit for about forty-five minutes. It did take a few minutes to rinse out before shampooing, and even though I'd brushed it before applying the egg bomb, it was the most knotted mess it's ever been while trying to shampoo and condition. After air-drying it was still pretty oily, so I washed and conditioned again and that fixed it.

Now that it's all dry and clean, I do notice a bit of difference. It does seem a bit healthier overall, and somehow my ends look and feel fuller. Aside from that I don't notice much difference in the overall feel or texture of my hair, but I suppose it wasn't too bad to start with and the egg bomb did essentially what it was supposed to. My hair feels stronger.

on 3/24/2013 10:55:00 AM

I have long, blonde super dry and damaged hair and have tried everything, hoped that this would be the solution. Doubled the mix, did everything to the letter and zero difference, my hair is still as crappy as it was before I did it. Great.

I did this to my hair this morning (2 eggs and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Left on 30 min) and didn't notice any change in my hair. I used brown eggs too. But since it's a natural thing and can't damage my hair I'll for sure do it again.

on 12/23/2012 1:36:00 AM

I tried this for a couple weeks because of how many people swear by it, but it just didn't do much for me. I have dry, frizzy, damaged hair and I came out of the shower looking the same. Very little shine, still poofy, and still dry. After a few weeks my hair looked slightly more moisturized, though.

I ended up cutting my locks off and going for a pixie cut. Because my (now short) hair isn't broken or thin, I can see more of a difference. It is a bit softer and shinier and the frizz is a little more controllable.

I like the fact that it is all natural and pretty cheep (pun intended). It's also really important to buy good quality eggs. I have my own hens who are free ranged and fed organically, and I use their eggs but one time I had to settle for some poor quality store bought eggs and the difference was pretty noticeable; just not as healthy looking and not as moisturized.

Overall, I like the product. I guess I was just disappointed that it's not some miracle cure like everyone was saying it was. Also, it takes a long time to notice a difference. I still occasionally treat myself to it in hopes that any new hair growth will be more healthy and moisturized than before.

on 12/22/2012 3:48:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I do this treatment once a month. I use three tablespoons of coconut oil, one egg yolk, and one tablespoon of honey. I leave it on for two hours. It makes my hair shiny and very soft. I have done it for two of my friends, and they love it too.

on 12/8/2012 2:29:00 PM

I first used the Egg Bomb last nigh, and I have to say that it isn't as messy as I thought at all! I used 2 egg yolks, 4 olive-oil ts and 2 honey ts. The truth is, it was very easy to apply and even though it gets very sticky about 20 minutes after the application (on unwashed hair), its very easy to rinse. I left it in my hair for 1 hour, I rinsed it with warm water ( and didn't get the cooking-the-egg problem) and then I shampooed and conditioned my hair as usual. This morning my hair was super soft and very very shinny. I am definitely doing it again!

on 11/26/2012 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was thinking of buying one of the expensive protein treatments, but I've been reading all the positive reviews in here and I thought I'd give the egg bomb a try. I have dark auburn, long, wavy hair which is in need of some serious TLC, since I have been coloring it and usually wearing it straight for the past 10 years, leaving me with some seriously brittle ends. I doubled the recipe and it came out a nice, creamy mixture which wasn't runny. My egg bomb didn't smell like egg at all, probably because I used top quality olive oil and thyme honey, which smells wonderful and actually gave the mask a subttle thyme scent - the perk of living in Greece is you can get top quality natural products like honey, oil and eggs at ridiculous prices. Anyway, I left it on my hair for about an hour, then rinsed it with lukewarm water, shampooed and conditioned as usual. The result : Incredibly glossy, full and soft hair! I can even run my fingers through it and don't feel it break anymore. . I will not claim that this mask can cure your split ends and breakages because it can't (only a good trim can!) but if you want to avoid having your hair cut and still want it to look and feel its best, the egg bomb is the way to go.

on 11/22/2012 9:17:00 PM

I've come to a conclusion that egg dries out my hair drastically. I've tried combinations with honey, oil, coconut milk... using only the yolk or both the yolk and the white, leaving it from 15-20 mins and my hair ends up feeling coarse, dry and rough in the shower. I have given many chances to this mask, but I always end with the same result.
I'm surprised to see everyone else saw results...

on 11/16/2012 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have done this twice and I have gotten really good results. First time I used three egg yolks, second time, I used two egg yolks, one egg white, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. The egg was so cold it solidified the coconut oil so I recommend leaving the egg out at room temperature for a while if you're using coconut oil with it. It's gross, and smells terrible - not a lot makes me gag, but the eggy after-smell is repulsive to me. I can't help but knock a lippy off for the smell and the difficulty in applying it - it is messy, messy, messy. I like coconut oil hair masks, too, but I think this works better, provided you wash it all out very thoroughly. I had to wash my hair twice the second time I did the egg bomb because the hair below my crown was still oily and greasy looking - which was awkward since I've never had that problem before. To me, this seems like a messy, time-consuming, and stinky hair treatment, but while it's high-maintenance, it gets my hair soft, shiny, bouncy, and strong, so it is worth it. I'll be doing it again, for sure. If your hair is dull and flat and blah and nothing seems to help, I would suggest giving this a try. I can't comment on the effects of this on damaged hair, however. I rarely use hot styling tools and I don't dye my hair.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products