LUSH Porridge Soap

3.6

Water (Aqua), Rapeseed Oil; Coconut Oil (Brassica napus; Cocos nucifera), Propylene Glycol, Pinhead Oatmeal (Avena sativa), Fresh Organic Orange Juice (Citrus Aurantium dulcis), Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, Labdanum Resinoid (Cistus labdaniferus), Sweet Wild Orange Oil (Citrus sinensis), Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Editronate, *Limonene *Occurs naturally in essential oils

on 1/10/2013 4:01:00 AM

Was first attracted to the delicious malt-like smell and because I thought it might be more beneficial for the skin than most of the other Lush soaps.
Like the other Lush soaps, this is quite creamy to the touch and lathers well (in soft-water zones). One problem is that after you use it a few times, more of the soap washes off than the oats, and you're left with a rougher bar that becomes an effective body soap, but possibly too rough for some faces. It also has a tendency to crumble into smaller pieces and fall off as the soap "erodes" off the oats.
Definitely recommend cutting into smaller chunks and keeping unused portions cool and dry to minimize unnecessary product waste. I keep them in the fridge with a "Soap! Do Not Eat!" label because - well, you never know.
All in all, pretty nice concept but too costly for a soap that I can't conveniently use on the face, so I probably won't repurchase while I'm working my way through other Lush products. I can't help thinking it would work better tubbed in a loose form like Herbalism.

on 11/3/2012 8:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I love this soap! It smells like oatmeal and brown sugar with the tiniest hint of Orange juice. I thought the bits of oatmeal were pretty annoying, to be honest. I'm not big on exfoliating because I have a tan and don't want to scrub it away... So I usually just rub it between my hands and use it that way. It's not enough to keep me from using it, but I unfortunately would purchase other soaps over this one because of the oatmeal. I will definitely repurchase because the scent is just gorgeous! Just not as often as I would if it didn't have the oatmeal. The lather is gorgeous as well, super milky and luxurious. I found it to be moisturizing compared to other soaps. I do worry about it clogging my drain.... Hopefully not:/ seriously though, uniquely gorgeous scent, I do recommend this soap!

on 10/2/2012 10:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This soap smells delicious. It exfoliates wonderfully. But it is incredibly expensive and leaves tons of little oat pieces all over the bottom of the shower. Every once in a while I pop in and get a bar, but I don't tend to make a habit of using fancy soaps.

on 9/24/2012 9:11:00 AM

This smells amazing, or breakfast cereals covered in chocolate. It has ground up oats in it, which is why I bought it. I wanted and exfoliating soap, something similar to Buffy (also by Lush). It feels harder than some of the other Lush soaps. It melts quite quickly under the shower but it's one of Lush's cheaper soap so its not too bad. It gives my body a gentle exfoliation which isn't harsh at all. My piece of soap is covered in oats which some people don't like, but I am glad because it gives me an even exfoliation.
A 100g bar lasts me about a month when I use it in every shower I have. I recommend slicing the block into small chunks so that it doesn't melt to fast. Do not leave this in the shower, it will melt. I will by this again after I have used some of my other Lush soaps.

on 9/18/2012 8:49:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This was one of the first LUSH products I tried and I really wanted to love it..it just isn't for me, I guess. As others have said, its too abrasive/scratchy for me to use directly on my skin. Other than that, the smell is pretty nice, but not to die for like I expected. I will say though that I am not a fan of bar soaps in general anyway, so maybe if you are this would be okay?

on 9/18/2012 8:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This particular Lush soap feels too abrasive to use daily. It's great for exfoliation at times, but I won't get that much use out of it for the price. I do love the scent of this though, very "foodie", creamy and yummy. I really wanted to like this. Porridge does work well on feet though to smooth rough skin.

Editing this to add*** after trying this out by lathering it up in a "poof" sponge instead of directly on skin, I have to say I LOVE it! This soap actually makes plenty of creamy lather, and my skin was left smooth and soft. I think I will repurchase and raised it 1 Lippie :)

on 9/18/2012 3:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Got a sample of this at store. I don't see anything great about it - the smell is not nice and the soap is very drying, breaks in pieces, etc.

on 7/22/2012 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

this will be a staple in my shower (together with HoneyIWashedTheKids). i have been using this every other day for about a month and a half now and i love it! i use it primarily as a body exfoliator especially for my backside. it lasts longer and is cheaper than buffy, you snap the whip or aqua mirabilis BUT i must say it is not moisturizing like the latter 3. so, when i want a good scrub i use this AND moisturize after. the smell is just okay because for me nothing compares to HIWTK. i find the coarseness of the oats perfect and what i absolutely love about this is how the suds develop into a soothing cream!

p.s. if you are like my husband who is sensitive, you might find the coarseness too harsh. i insisted that he use it and when he did, he immediately complained about how sharp it was. i saw that it left red streaks on his arm and tummy--areas where he tried them. he still goes back to you snap the whip and aqua mirabilis for exfoliation.

on 6/4/2012 12:09:00 AM

I don't hate it. I really don't. I love the scrub in it. Really feels nice. I wish the scent was just a little better.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Goodness me. This smells incredible. I will be using this throughout winter, it is the most beautiful scent. At first, it flakes off a little bit in the shower. Then, half way through, it's kind of hard to use because it is so flaky and I end up scooting around cleaning up after it. It is sort of exfoliating with it's chunkiness, but not in a sugar scrub way. Sadly the scent doesn't linger for long, I wish I could smell like this all day! It's a shame I can't get the smell of this without the fuss of tidying it up. I thought I could manage it at first, but after I got through half the soap, it just annoyed me. Still, it's a beautiful smelling wintery soap, and I might buy it again because of the lovely smell alone.