Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge

4.1

Sponge

on 4/27/2012 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I hated that I waited so long to try this. Even after seeing the rave reviews I was still skeptical. I finally broke down and bought the Sonia Kashuk sponge (couldn't justify the cost of the pink egg beauty blender). I have been very pleased.
The finish is beautiful. Several of my friends asked if I had bought an airbrush gun after I started using this. I get a nice even coverage and am able to build easily in the areas that I need it. With a brush and my fingers I usually ended up with a fuller coverage then I need just in an attempt to cover old acne scars and hyperpigmentation. The control with the sponge really allow me to apply more coverage in those areas only seamlessly.
I have very oily skin so I build a lot of mattifying products to increase makeup longevity. I usually apply a long lasting liquid foundation for oily skin, set with mineral foundation on my oily areas and then use a silicone finishing powder on my t-zone. I end up with a nice matte finish that starts to become satin as my oil pushes through during the day. My biggest battle with this layering is cakeyness. The sponge has completely eliminated this challenge for me.
During the day my makeup wears longer and better. I blot with with blotting papers and do not use additional silicone powder any more. I think that the sponge just allows products to meld better with my skin and in a thinner layer.
Just an amazing foundation/face tool. It shortens my application time because I use one tool and do not have to spend so much time blending lighter/heavier coverage areas..
I do not use "HG" very often. I love a lot of products and will repurchase them but this falls under the "HG, would never be without it" category for me.

on 4/20/2012 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this sponge. When i go out on the weekends and i want Flawless skin, i always use my cover fx cream foundation. It has a very thick consistency and i have yet to find a brush that will work well with it and believe me ive tried alot of brushes. So, instead i use this sponge. it works wonderfully. i dampen it first, make sure its only slightly dampened, then just dab it onto the foundation. it gets the right amount onto my face, not too much , not too little. and it blends it all nicely. Its a bit firmer then the Beauty Blender, but definitely more affordable. it tends to break apart after a while, so i have 2 more in stock.

on 3/30/2012 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm sorry I waited so long to try this! A lot of the YT gurus use brushes, so that's what I've been using but I much prefer this!!!

For foundation- I'm not as big of a fan of the revlon colorstay as a lot of people, but this sponge made it look pretty nice. another brand that i previously didn't like Cinema Secrets looks FANTASTIC with this sponge. Before it looked cakey and blotchy and just didn't blend well. Have to experiment more but with this sponge CS might be my HG.

For concealer- Blends concealer nicely, I prefer to apply the concealer with a brush then blend with the sponge b/c dipping the sponge directly it does soak up a little product. That's not as big of a deal with foundation, but on pricey concealer sold in small quantities, every bit counts! (at least to me)

For powder- Actually applies powder very nicely, which I find weird. I didn't like the ELF HD powder with a brush b/c it seems to leave a whitish cast but with the sponge maybe b/c it "pushes" it in to the skin more it looks really nice and smooth.

Cons: absorbs a little product (even wet) and does get stained even after washing

Pros: has reformed some products i previously didn't care for and really does a great job of blending

If you haven't tried a blending sponge before, you should!!!

UPDATE: Finally tried the Beauty Blender, and it is a little nicer, but this is still a good sponge if you're on a budget!

on 2/21/2012 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I personally have not tried the beauty blender, so I can't compare the two products, but overall this wasn't a bad purchase. It isn't all that soft, but it still works fine.

The one things I will say though, is that I still kind of prefer my flat top brush for foundations. I like the look I get after buffing in foundation more than the look I get with this sponge.

on 11/23/2011 9:26:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

The Beauty Blender this is not. I bought this sponge after my Beauty Blender bit the dust. I thought the shape looked more innovative (there was a crevice for my chin!) The price point of $10 less then the BB was also a great selling point. Unfortunately that's where the love affair ended. The Sonia Kashuk sponge does not fluff when you wet it and is soooo hard. The foam is so dense that when I stipple, it feels like I'm going to knock myself out. It also takes much longer to get the foundation blended in (which when it hurts when you use it, not a good thing) I only bought this sponge a couple of weeks ago, but have already ordered another BB to replace it asap.

on 11/2/2011 5:27:00 PM

I don't...I don't get it. I straight-up do not understand this product. I cannot figure out how to make it work. I follow what everybody on YouTube says to do, get it wet, squeeze out the excess, and bounce/stipple it on my face...and I couldn't get it to look good, airbrushed, or blended, it just looked thick and masky. It works okay on the pointy end to blend out my under-eye concealer, but my fingers work better for that. Basically, I can't get this sponge to work for me. If anybody has a tip, message me and let me know.

on 10/15/2011 6:30:00 PM

This sponge is worth the $10. Its great for almost everything from liquid foundation to powder. I wash after every use to try and keep it as clean as possible but the bottom of it will never go back to the blue that it was. I run it under the water and squeeze so that it'll suck up the water and then squeeze it out again but the color will still stay. It doesn't really bother me though. What does bother me is that the sponge starts to... shed(?) I'm not quite sure how to describe it. I noticed that there were little blue pieces of the sponge that were falling off. When I say "little" I mean really little like almost dust sized, but I could see it because it was blue haha. I've had it for months though so I'm not surprised.
As for its usage though, it can't be beat! Its the more affordable version of the beauty blender. I use this in stippling motions and my makeup turns out flawless and has that "airbrush" effect. All in all a great buy.

on 9/12/2011 10:11:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Great product makes my foundation look flawless and airbrushed! just make sure you wet it and ring it out before use. i would buy again great substitute for people who cant afford the beauty blender!

on 7/16/2011 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

It works well and is easy to use. It is cheap so if it does fall apart you can replace it without feeling like you spent a lot of money.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love this sponge. I had seen the Beauty Blender and wanted to try it. This was a great budget alternative.
It is great for blending any streaks from foundation. The pointed end is great for under eye concealers - good at getting in to the small corners. I also use it for blending in blush - cream or powder. I love it for blush as it helps achieve the natural flush look nicely.
I will buy this sponge again - I don't know how I've not used one like it before.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools