November 26, 2014 | 1796 users online

Liquid - Alexandra deMarkoff - Countess Isserlyn Liquid Makeup

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2005 9:23:00 AM More reviews by Snappydoo

I don't usally have any negative reaction to makeup other than I just don't like it. This makeup was HORRIBLE! Maybe it was due to the mineral oil but after 2 days of using it, I was peeling worse that a 2nd degree sunburn! It took at least a week of serious moisturizing to repair my skin after this. There is something to be said for technology and advancements in any product so to say their product hasen't changed in a million years isn't necessarily a good thing. Think about it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2004 3:29:00 PM More reviews by JColeman1954

I sing the praises of this foundation that has the same formula all these years. When I approached the saleslady on this product, I had just had a hysterectomy and my skin was just horrible. She told me this was the makeup used when "Gone with the Wind" was filmed. She told me to ONLY use the oil-based (which separates from the pigment and you have to "stir". The consistency... very, very thin,very pigmented and this completely fills in my pores and lines and smooths everything out. This product makes my skin look clear, even and velvety without me looking like I am wearing a mask.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2004 2:26:00 AM More reviews by expat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Okay, I ordered this online and paid a small fortune to have it shipped overseas. Unfortunately, I think I made a mistake in getting the Countess Isserlyn Matte Liquid Makeup instead of just the regular one. I thought that the matte formula would be better for me since I live in such a humid climate, but it's awful. Very chalky looking and shows up every line/wrinkle/pore I have. What a disappointment. I'm still giving it 3 lips, though, because I think this would probably be fine on younger skin. I have tanned skin (Y7 in ERA foundation, Natural Tan in Revlon) and bought the ADM color #87 1/2 ~ definitely too light for me. I will probably buy the regular formula and give that a try.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2004 3:41:00 PM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

O.K., I know what you're thinking.....these people are nuts singing the praises of a foundation that has has the same formula since God made apples, right?What about all the $$$ new formulas developed by all the great makeup artists and co's of the 21st century? Well, I cannot believe it took me so long to review this. I'm a simple girl and I was blessed with good skin and have not had many problems with it over the years. I am 39 and I wear sunscreen, do not smoke or drink and moisturize well but even with all these precautions, I have developed these nasty little lines (I believe they call them marionnette lines between my mouth and nose. how lovely to be compared to a ventriloquists dummy.)I knew I needed to have a little something to use for times when I wanted to look more finished and my search for a good foundation began.Anyway, after reading reviews here, I was captivated and I had to try this stuff. All I can say is WOW. Yep, WOW. Did I say WOW??? Lots of details below about the formula and the consistency...very, very thin,very pigmented and this completely fills in my pores and lines and smooths everything out. No, I do not look 18 again and I still have my bitchy wrinkles but this stuff just makes my skin look clear, even and velvety without me looking like I am wearing a mask. I won mine on e-bay for around $15-20.Reg retail is $50, might not pay that for this but for what I paid this was excellent.I have 71 1/2 and I am fair, MAC NW20. I must also say that I have horrid dry patches on the sides of my nose that no matter how I moisturize, makeup always seems to accentuate them and this is the only thing I've ever used that does not do that. It's miracle liquid. Yes, you will look like you are wearing make-up with this because your pores will be invisible but you will look old hollywood if that makes sense. I would wear this for a special occasion or anywhere I needed to feel kicked up a few notches. I wore this to a wedding I was in and it photographed beautifully. Gives a dewy porcelain look and I see why this has been around for a million years. Wish it was in stores because choosing a shade is murder.Edited: I finally figured out the scheme to these shades!!! the 70's are pink based, the 80's are neutral/beige and the 90's are "golden" which I assume means yellow. The 71 1/2 was really not doing it for me at all. The pink in it just looked off and I have pink undertones. I have just tried this in 80 1/2 and it is TONS better. Looks a lot more natural. The next darker shade might even be a tad better but this shade is excellent for me. Finally. Woo Hoo.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2004 1:49:00 AM More reviews by road

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This really is a fantastic foundation. I'm 41 years old and have dry skin. This is a mixture of pigment and oil. This foundation provides such complete coverage that I never have to use a concealer anymore. Before I put on my eyeshadow I powder my eyelid so that the shadow will easily blend on the skin. This foundation has a very thin consistency. I would agree with other reviews that this provides the most complete coverage I have ever seen. I've used this foundation daily for about a month now. Today I went to a professional beauty supply house and the Sales Associate asked what foundation I use, "because your skin looks so good." The Associate next to her said, "Yes. Your skin looks perfect." I have never in my life been asked what foundation I use. When you first get the bottle you have to shake it for 10 minutes and then stir for 10 minutes. Thereafter, you have to shake it daily for one minute before use. This foundation has been a HG for me this winter but when summer comes I may have to find a differen t foundation for my nose which tends to get oily then. The only drawback I see is that you have to shake it before each use. My bottle doesn't leak at all. Blends very easy. I found this had more coverage than the Kanebo Cream foundation and also the La Prairie foundation. I'm a cool PPP (dark blond hair, blue eyes) and color number 71 and a half is perfect for me. I got 6 free samples from an online store and paid a $5 shipping charge on it. I really love the perfect coverage I get with this foundation. Highly reccomended for dry skin. I love this!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2004 9:39:00 PM More reviews by jendorf

My mother used this for ages and when I started wearing foundation, she bought me a bottle. It is highly pigmented and covers anything. However, if you are young and have combination skin/ are prone to acne, I would recommend something a little less heavy (oily). Now i'm using Laura Mercier moisturizing foundation and I like it alot better. It feels much more natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2004 3:47:00 PM More reviews by annestep

This was my first foundation, given to me by my mother when I was 15. I have tried many others over the years, but this is still the best. I have combination skin now, but it was and still is extremely oily in the t-zone. I also have large pores, and this makes them disappear without looking heavy. A bottle seems to last forever. I sometimes store the bottle upside down to help with the mixing. I am fair with pink undertones, and 881/2 is my color for most of the year.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2004 9:04:00 AM More reviews by irishgirl71

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LLL, Rosacea-Combo-Sensitive>>>>This foundation has been around forever and I have always heard good things about the coverage but was afraid to try it. Boy am I glad I took the plunge! Once mixed, this foundation gives you awesome coverage without being cakey. AdM foundation shades come in numbers and I purchased the 80 1/2 as I am a MAC NC20, LM Warm Ivory. My biggest concern was that it was going to "pool up" in my pores; it didn't! Hooray! I think Ben Nye, AdM, Max Factor, etc. knew what they were doing back in those days and those same formulas/principles still work! Yes, you have to mix the pigments and tap the bottle..To me, it's a small price to pay for such a beautiful finish..No breakouts either! I purposely wore it to bed..Hey, I'll do anything at this point to find my HG! This one may be it! UPDATE: 04-13/05---> I still use this foundation but rotate with several others. I am still happy with it and consider it a "classic."

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2003 11:33:00 AM More reviews by Hutchie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried Countess Isserlyn Liquid Foundation for the first time. I have been using So Ingenious by Lauder, but have not been happy with its color changing (to a sort of orange) and its icky thickness. So, I got some 80 1/2 on eBay for about half price (i guessed on the shade--luckily it was a nice, neutral beige and perfect!).
First of all, this is not a makeup for dummies. You really must mix it thoroughly in order to avoid getting too much oil and not enough pigment. Back in the day, Alexandra de Markoff sales women would show you exactly how to mix it and apply it. Today, you're sort of on your own.
Well, I love it! It covers very well, and comes out quite matte on my mature skin (remember, mix it well or it will be oily and shiny). It diffuses incandescent light very well and my lines are much less noticable (hooray!). It feels good on my face and I have noticed no weird color changes. Lastly, it seems to be compatible with my moisturizer, unlike So Ingenious, which requires you use an EL product or it streaks.
A totally cool foundation. I love it! continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2003 3:52:00 PM More reviews by veggigoddess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got a bunch of sample of the liquide non-matt foundation and I am so un0impressed. I guess non of the below reviews have ever used Avon's Perfect Wear foundation or Almay's Amazing Lasting foundation, but they have the same flawless coverage but are not oil based. This foundation just sat on the top of my face and I felt the disgusting oil just sitting there. Felt like I was applying straight canola oil on my poor face! It does not dry either! I sat there for a good half hour in chilly weather mind you and it didn't remotly dry! I had to end up putting face powder on cause I wasn't going to wait any longer and because the foundation from the oil base was still so wet it completely ruined my powder puff and I had to toss it. The coverage is the same as when I use my usual Avon Perfect Wear and a million times less expensive! I am still going to give this line a chance and get samples of the Matt foundation. If that don't work then oh well! I still don't get the point of oil based foundation. It is so disgusting!