November 28, 2014 | 1362 users online

Makeup Brushes - Ecotools - Powder Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2013 7:26:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

I use this for application of powder foundation and to dust off any excess powder after I set my foundation with loose powder. I feel that this blends powder foundations well, but if you were to apply powder with it over a foundation I couldn't promise a perfect result - I always apply loose powder over my fluid foundations with a puff, and just use this to take the excess off as I'm afraid applying with this alone may take the foundation off a little - it's a little too stiff for that (stiff, not scratchy!). However, it's exactly what I need. UPDATE: this works very well to apply powder over BB cream though, and often even works well to buff powders over foundations :)
This brush isn't super-soft, but it isn't scratchy. I have sensitive skin and a lot of brushes that other people consider very soft (for example the MAC kabuki) are too scratchy for my face. This is definitely soft enough to buff in powders and it blends them in very well. I actually really like that this doesn't have totally smooth bristles - I have had brushes like that too, for example The Body Shops retractable blush brush (and many of their other brushes) - it's VERY soft, but it doesn't blend powders very well (it's better for cream products or liquids).
For me it's hard to talk about densities of brushes - it's such a subjective measurement. All I can say is: when I apply powder foundation I wish it was a tiny bit denser, because when I really need to blend foundation certain places (my temples, around nose), I actually need to hold it at the base of the bristles to make the brush denser. BUT: I still love this brush. I doubt this would go out of use if I found a better powder-foundation brush.
I really like that this brush dries super-fast! If I suddenly really need it washed in the morning, I use my Mango bar soap from The Body shop on it, squeeze the water out and then hit it for a little while against a towel (pretty hard). I 'm actually able to do this in just a few minutes and it will be ready to be used again. That this doesn't hold water means that the bristles aren't porous, which also means they aren't a god place for bacteria to hide, which again means that it's a good brush for sensitive or acne-prone skin.
The size is quite big, so it isn't a very travel friendly brush. I wish Eco-Tools could make some kind on packaging one could keep the brushes in while travelling - the cloth-thingy sucks! I believe there is some other kind of packaging available for the newer brushes though.
I got my brush in a set with 4 others I got from ebay. I only use 3 of the 5 brushes, but the set is still worth the money. You can easily get the old Eco-Tools brushes for under $6.50. It's hillarious, but where I live they sell the same thing for $30+...! You can also get these from iherb.com. If you're a first time customer, you can use my coupon code JUZ808 and get a discount of $5 (if shopping for less than $40) or $10 (if shopping for more than $40). If you have products for more than $30 you can just go ahead and find something for $10 more - with the discount it won't cost you any more. The site may look a bit cheap, but it hasn't disappointed me before.
This brush comes in this set:
and costs $8.99. This brush also can be bought separately, but it's $6.99 alone. I would recommend to buy the set if you ever use brow/lash brushes, and the slanted-tip brush is good for filling in brows, applying smudged eyeliner (it's too big to apply a thin, precise line) or actually... to apply concealer to blemishes!
I also want to say how the code works: if you use it, I get a small percentage of the price you paid. People earn money when you use their code. If you feel strongly negative about this, you can use iherb's own code ABC123, and only iherb will earn money from your buy.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2013 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Rebecca753

I probably won't need to buy another one, but if I lost it or something I would. This is a great brush, very soft. It picks up powder easily, and doesn't itch on my face. I also love that it is vegan, I've started feeling bad for the animals that end up as makeup brushes. It's great that they come with reusable travel packages, it makes them easier to keep clean. I own quite a few brushes from this brand and I like them all except the foundation brush, but I don't like those in general.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2013 10:17:00 PM More reviews by kaicg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Eco tools are a great alternative for those that don't want to spend tons of money on brushes. Teens just starting out, or women that only really wear makeup for special occasions for instance.

The brushes are soft, long-lasting (I've had one for a couple years), and super easy to clean.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by MakeupAlleyJunkie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is probably one of the softest brushes in the world. It feels so fluffy and gentle on my skin. If you have sensitive skin, this product is perfect for you. I just swirl it into my favorite powder and dust it all over my face! I get a flawless finish with this brush. It hardly ever sheds. The only thing I don't like about this product is the way it looks. The handle seems a bit tacky and cheap looking to me. If it was all black, I would be in love with this brush. But looks aren't that important, it's about the quality. This is one of the best powder brushes I've ever used!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2013 5:42:00 AM More reviews by xxtine1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Mine seems to be an unfortunate one that wasn't made properly - it sheds like crazy so I'm tossing it. I have some other EcoTools brushes that don't shed so I know they can be really good - I think I just got a bum one.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2013 4:24:00 AM More reviews by annakimla

Great brush, works as good as high brand brushes. I have had mine for two years now and it is still in perfect shape.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 4:33:00 PM More reviews by Jules4272

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Too many great things about this product!
It's sleek, it works great with any product I've used it with (though it's a powder brush, I've used it for blush too), it's soft, easy to clean, it's a good price for a full size brush and it's eco-friendly!
My only teeny-tiny complaint? That it's too big to fit in my travel make-up bag with the rest of my make-up in it. But, I am perfectly happy to move some stuff around to accommodate this brush!
Overall, such a great find!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 3:10:00 PM More reviews by florenceinitaly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this brush - I'm just an everyday girl who doesn't want to spend $40 on a brush, and this is a great alternative, very reasonably priced only $7.50 or so at my local Walmart.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2013 8:41:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

Iíve sometimes use this powder brush to set my Ben Nye Neutral Set powder after foundation. Itís quite a dense brush, yet it still has a lot of firmness to it considering itís so soft. Iíve found that it does such a great job of picking up the right amount of loose powder and applies it evenly on my face, using either a quick swiping or a Ďpattingí motion. I never 'upsets' or ruins the foundation on underneath, sometimes the wrong brush can do that. The best aspect of the powder brush is that it is almost impossible to cake on the powder, compared to my natural bristled MAC powder brush that used to eat up a lot of powder, it means I only use what I really need. It can also be used for application of bronzer, and I think it would work incredibly well for super-pigmented blushes when you just want a quick sheer wash of colour.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2013 12:40:00 PM More reviews by veganjaz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Word's can't even describe how great this brush is. I have never in my life had a powder brush like this.
It is soft, takes up a good amount of powder, spreads powder evenly and gently... good handle size. Just amazing!

It's a little expensive but well worth the price. I just bought myself one of those fancy MAC powder brushes (the one that is two colours... geez can't remember the name!) I used it once, and it put in my drawer... probably never going to use it again. It is not as good as this powder brush.

The quality is impeccable - I have had this brush for 2+ years and it hasnít not shown even the slightest signs of wear and tear. I love how it is eco friendly. The packaging is wonderful and you can pit other brushes in.

I will buy again and as long as Ecotools exist I will only buy their brushes! Their whole line is A++!