December 17, 2014 | 1683 users online

Bronzers - TheBalm - Bahama Mama

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2014 10:30:00 AM More reviews by babysinclair24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product on Amazon last year because I wanted to try contouring and this product came highly recommended for that purpose.

When it comes to price, this is a mid-range product. It retails for $20, but I was able to get a better deal on Amazon..maybe $14 or $15? In my opinion it's a reasonable price for face makeup, an area where I normally am willing to splurge for flawless results. There's a lot of product in there, especially when I take into account how little product it takes to get the results that I want.

The packaging is one of my favorites - the cover has a kitschy illustration of a vintage (white) "hula girl" on a beach. It's a compact. I want to say the outer material is closer to a thick paper than a hard plastic, but it definitely doesn't feel cheap. The compact flips open like a book, and stays closed with a hidden magnet. It's flat so it sits nicely in my makeup bag with my other products. It does have a mirror although I've never had to use it.

This bronzer is a matte powder, and a little goes a long way. I have to be extra careful to apply it as lightly as possible in order to build to the look that I want. It's very easy to go overboard with this product, and it's not the easiest to blend out because it's so densely pigmented.

I have warm-to-neutral olive skin. As I mentioned, I originally bought this for contouring purposes. I never tried contouring before, and after a lot of experimentation, I decided that I only like a light contouring under my cheekbones. For me, the color is way too dark for contouring, even when I have a tan and my complexion is firmly in the "medium" range.

Still, this product has its uses. I held onto it rather than tossing it because I love the packaging so much. I brought it with me on vacation in Jamaica a couple of months ago and used it, with a very light hand, like I would any other bronzer - along the sides of my face, creeping up toward my forehead, a dab on my chin, and across the bridge of my nose. I would wear just this and Nars Orgasm blush over my BB cream - nothing else, not even mascara - and I felt like a sexy mermaid. I'm definitely going to be pulling it out again over the summer, when I wanna look extra beachy.

Because I use it lightly for specific purposes, I don't see myself finishing the compact for a long time. But ok, lets say I lost it today. I probably wouldn't rebuy it only because I also have the Bobbi Brown bronzing powder, which I use regularly. It's not as dark as Bahama Mama, but because it's easily buildable, I could achieve similar results without having to be quite so careful about it. Maybe if I had an unlimited budget, it would have a special place in my summer makeup kit, but I don't, so...

If we are strictly talking about formula and results, I would give this product a 3. The results are good now that I know how to use it to achieve a look that I love, but the application process is a challenge. I'm bumping it up to an overall score of a 4 because I love the packaging so much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2014 6:46:00 PM More reviews by riotkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the contour powder I've been looking for. Its a perfectly matte, neutral brown that makes the nicest shadows on my NC20-25, NARS Fiji skin tone. Very pigmented so use a light hand with this if your skin is fair. The texture is soft and easy to blend. I thought it would be too cool for bronzing and thought I would prefer my old staple, NARS Laguna, but I was wrong. Its perfect for bronzing and looks so natural, like I got a little sun.

I'm not super sold on the package, I do like that its nice and compact with cute retro graphics, but what I don't like is that its cardboard. Its not a deal breaker at all, just not my preference.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2014 5:35:00 PM More reviews by iheartmakeup01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

First, I LOVE the packaging! That being said, Bahama mama is a dark brown matte bronzer that is perfect for contouring. When I first saw it, I thought it was way too dark for my light skin (NC20). But, with a light hand, I applied it to my cheekbones with the angled blush brush from E.L.F, and the result was gorgeous. Be careful and don't apply too much, cause it will look a bit muddy, not beautiful. A little goes a long way. Overall, I think it's a good bronzer for contouring, but maybe not to use as an all-over bronzer. The price is quite good. I'm not sure I would repurchase, since I find that the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil bronzer is better.

UPDATE : This bronzer is SO hard to blend because of its pigmentation. I apply it on a very light hand but it still looks muddy...even for contouring. Won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2014 2:33:00 AM More reviews by Denisedd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best bronzer I have ever used ! Love the balm and would repurchase

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2014 11:28:00 AM More reviews by celcab

I was deciding between this and Benefit's Hoola for my first contour product but after swatching Hoola on my NC42 skin it was a clear decision, Hoola blended right into my skin.

This is fairly affordable and it's such a great product. It's not orange at all and it even has a teensy bity of grey to it. It's matte but it's got a faint healthy sheen on it so you can use it as a bronzer and a contour (I even use it as and eyeshadow an eyebrow powder). It's pigmented so you don't have to put much effort to make it show up but you don't have to worry if you're lighter as it's blendable.

This is my first theBalm product and it makes me want more.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2014 9:05:00 PM More reviews by graceybaby8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this contour because a friend of mine loves thebalm products. She recommended Bahama mama :)
This product is very very pigmented. You have to have a light hand when you use this. I wouldn't have used this as a bronzer on my NC30 skintone because its too dark.... But I think this would be a really nice on boys and girls with NC40 and darker skintones.
This product is more of a true brown than the Too Faced chocolate soleil bronzer... Which has a tiny bit of red. But lighter in colour and less reddish than the NARS casino. This is less shimmery than the NARS Laguna and less orange/yellow than the benefit hoola bronzer.
This is in my top 5 contouring powders.
This was $25 cdn in certain london drugs in Canada... But I got it at 30% off.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2014 2:59:00 PM More reviews by LorettaBellxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Beautiful bronzer. Have to have a light hand for it though!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2014 5:57:00 PM More reviews by MagnoliaState

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Like most reviewers here, I bought this to contour with. I'm NC20. Fairly neutral and lighter in winter. This is NOT my HG for contouring.

While this is touted as cool-toned and not orange, its still a bronzer - a very BROWN bronzer. Shadows are gray - not brown.

Aside from color, It is VERY pigmented and somewhat hard to blend (EDIT: bought a nicer brush and that helped a TON!!!) It takes a VERY light hand.

I think as an actual BRONZER - it is great. I like it on my forehead. It is a very accurate color of a tan - that's why I said I would buy it again. I like that it doesn't have shimmer. It is slightly too dark for me in winter - looks great in summer when I'm darker or trying to fake a tan face to match my tanned body.

Love the package. TheBalm makes super cute packaging that are still sleek.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2013 11:30:00 AM More reviews by aneezy

I returned Too Faced Chocolate Soleil because the color is similar to NYC sunny, which is too orange for my yellow undertone. Bahama mama is $20 cheaper (from Amazon) than Too Faced chocolate soleil and it is perfect for my asian skin tone. It really gives that depth/illusion when i contour my cheek. Bahama mama is a cool tone bronzer and its not muddy at all; I never really like the warm orangey "bronze" look on me. No shimmer, no smell, and super pigmented. I literally only tap my brush against it and it produces enough color on my cheek.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 8:27:00 PM More reviews by l0laxc0la

This is a good product for contouring. It's a neutral matte brown. I guess the original price is a bit much, but it's often on sale at HauteLook and similar deals sites. I got mine for $10 and you do get a lot of product so I feel like that's a good deal. Especially since this is SO PIGMENTED I don't think I'll ever ever use it up!

If you have super fair skin like me, this is not the HG product it would probably be for medium or dark skin tones, but it's still totally usable and does look natural for contouring as long as you use a VERY light hand. Like, lighter hand than you have ever used before, lol. I'm amazed at the color payoff here.

Learning to work with this and am pleased overall! I rated it highly because i think it's a great and high quality product, but if you're quite fair you may have to play around with it a bit to get the effect you want.