April 18, 2014 | 1837 users online

Lotions/ Creams - L'Occitane - 100% Pure Shea Butter

rated 2 of 5 on 11/2/2011 12:42:00 PM More reviews by ana7mac

Not impressed with this product. I used it as a lip balm, and it didn't provide that much moisture. Besides, it gets too solid during winter time, making it difficult to apply. It also has a short shelf life. The packaging is very cute though, and reasonably useful. All in all, I would not buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2011 3:11:00 AM More reviews by luxybon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love it and recommend it to any and everyone. You can't go wrong with this product. It's the best shea butter product I have ever used.

I carry the small tin in my purse and use it on my lips, cuticles, and any dry skin I may have on my face one day. It's only $10 and lasts me around a month if not more, so it is very affordable.

It isn't super thick or greasy like most pure shea butter products. It's also fragrance free, so it doesn't smell bad like unrefined pure shea butter. I particularly love to put it on my lips and nail beds at night.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/19/2011 3:37:00 PM More reviews by hollythecrocodile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like L'Occitane products and got this thinking it would be great for my dry skin but I was disappointed. It left a dirty feeling film on my skin and didnt seem to sink in or do anything at all, even on my lips.
The price is ridiculous too, even if this was a good product you can still buy very good quality shea butter for a lot less.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2011 9:27:00 PM More reviews by flauros

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This little tin is awesome. Although the lid comes off too easily, I find that this product has a million uses. I use this on my lips at night for super hydration, as well as my awful and dry cuticles. It has totally turned them around so fast. This product is so small and perfect for my purse, I put it on anywhere. I've now gotten my boyfriend addicted as well for his poor cuticles and no complaints yet!

Do wish the packaging was better.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2011 1:33:00 PM More reviews by godpsent

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

I tried this shea butter before I realized you can buy raw shea butter for a much better price.

But, anyway...

I guess this is pricier because it is very refined to make it smooth instead of grainy and very white compared to more unrefined versions. It also lacks the smoky fragrance you sometimes get with more unrefined versions.

The refined quality of this makes me think that it probably lacks many of the antioxidant properties you get with more raw butter. But I don't have a science lab so I can't prove it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2011 10:19:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

the itty bitty one is AWESOME! you can put this on ANYTHING and it will give you moisture... cuticle, elbows, lips, under eye, dry patches... and its so small and lasts so long - this will save you space in your purse and $ from having to buy 50 different products.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2011 5:09:00 AM More reviews by xillam

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My skin is fair, very dry and very sensitive and Iove this product! I live in Scandinavia and the climate is terrible - cold and windy :-( this butter works magic for me - when my skin is super dry and sore i put it on my face over the serum for over a night - next morning - smooth and even :-)
also use it as a hand cream and lip treatments over the night.

The package will last for a looong time - i bought mine 6 mnths ago and still more than a half of it left and i use it almost every day. You don't need much of it, just a bit - I use like a cherry size, warm it up in my hands, so that it melts - and pres slightly into my face, neck and the leftovers smooth over my hands. I even put it over some little scratches (not to the open wound!!)

the smell: i love it, to me it smells healthy :-P

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2011 6:58:00 PM More reviews by LatinEarthAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh my Goodness, this so uber moisturizing and does not have any scent added. I payed about $39 for a tin that has a screw on lid. I use this on my hands, feet and body. Great for spots that need extra moisture. I also have a 1 oz. tin in the Honey Orange scent for my purse (this scent is limited edition but a must have) love carrying this around for my cuticles. Will keep buying this, so worth the money!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2011 3:59:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Excellent general-purpose balm, for use on any dry areas: use as you would any other all-purpose balm or Vaseline. Also: best eye cream I've used in quite a while.

This is an unscented refined shea butter, with a smooth creamy texture, white, packaged in a tin. There are two regular tin sizes (and occasional specials etc.): very small, and very large. I'd recommend the very small one for starters, then moving up to the big one (and decanting into the small one for carrying around during the day). L'Occitane also make tinted versions for lips and scented ones for hands and body, aside from the plethora of shea-based face, body, hand, foot, and hair products. The Mom & Baby balm is also strongly recommended, is slightly cheaper, and is easier to work with. Their shea butter is fair trade, and was--to the best of my knowledge--the first such cooperative / collaborative shea butter available in Europe, decades ago; around about the same time as The Body Shop started similar supply arrangements.

No, this is not the same stuff as unrefined all-natural virgin etc. shea butter, the kind that is a yellowy-browny colour, in blocks and slabs. And is much cheaper, and regularly available in health-food stores (Whole Foods etc.) and markets, often directly from suppliers in West Africa. There's a lot to be said for direct trade, and for that kind of shea butter.

But the two are not interchangeable: depends on your skin. I can use the unrefined variety on hands, feet, elbows, knees, and especially as a cuticle cream. It's absolutely brilliant there, even when my skin is very dry. But it's been a disaster on my face, especially around the eyes and on lips: irritation. It's also been no good on dry flaky eczema patches (insides of wrists and other joints, neck): there again, the refined one produces no reactions whereas the unrefined one exacerbates the red bumpy aspect of my eczema.

Now, I'm in my late 30s, and starting to get more laugh-lines, under-eye wrinkles, and general signs of expression and life (if not necessarily wisdom); as well as noticeably drier undereye. Some blueness underneath (thin skin) and some bagginess if not enough sleep (more sleep and applying frozen peas in the morning seem to sort that out!).

The other big plus about L'Occitane's refined shea butter is that it's nothing short of amazing around the eyes. Using it usually at night, sometimes also in the morning if the weather's dry/drying. It leaves that very fine thin skin lovely, smooth, moist the next morning; and it's the best thing I've used around my eyes so far. Application: on clean damp skin, I pat in a drop or two of rosehip seed oil, then a tiny amount of my regular face moisturiser, then a dab of the shea butter. Scooped out--very little is needed--and rubbed between finger-tips to warm it, then smoothed over skin and patted in. I just apply it n the under-eye area: from the inner corners by the nose, round to the temples, staying within the orbital bone / socket area: right up to the lash-line, but not down to the cheek-bones.

No irritation, no migratory breakouts on cheeks, no movement into eyes (or at least no blurry vision or other discernible traces). During the day, I'm not wearing much in the way of makeup: sunscreen on top, and no interference with mascara and undereye concealer to report.

I've also used it as a lip-balm, especially in dry cold weather.

I'm still using the unrefined shea butter too, but just on dry body parts; and L'Occitane's refined one for eyes and lips, and eczema patches. (NB my eczema isn't very bad right now, mainly under control, but can worsen fast; skin in general is fine/structurally thin, fragile, sensitive, irritable, slightly dry--basically the classic redhead state of affairs...)

Cruelty-free, fair trade, recyclable aluminium tin. Costs CAD10.00 / USD9.00 / EUR5.00 / GBP5.50 for 8 ml and CAD45.00 / USD39.00 / EUR27.50 / GBP 24.00 for 150 ml. I've found that one small tin, used daily on eyes and lips, lasts at least 6 months; this makes it a bargain buy compared to eye-creams of similar texture (and often based on shea butter anyway).

INGREDIENTS: shea butter continued >>

22 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2011 3:11:00 PM More reviews by dezzilla

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This always goes rancid in no time, so don't buy the big tub if you are not going to use it up fast. I like shea butter and just a bit would do. It's great on hands, cuticles, elbows and feet. I can't use it on my face or my body, it is too greasy.