August 29, 2014 | 1757 users online

Powder - Silk Naturals - Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2011 7:47:00 AM More reviews by nomihappy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

As said by previous reviewers, you mix your own shade. This used to be my go-to foundation but I've now switched to Lucy Minerals since it gives better coverage and somehow seems to last longer.

Silk naturals does give a very natural finish and obviously you can customize your shade. I can see how it could be a turn-off for some people - I was fine with it seeing as I love experimenting with makeup. My true gripe with this foundation is that I couldn't seem to COMPLETELY mix the color. There would still be small clumps of pure color (warm gold for me) and it would be apparent when I swatched the color on my jawline to see if it matches my skintone.

But hey, if you're curious, give it a try. It's not too expensive. Do note, however, that they do not quote weight of their products because their ingredients (esp silk powder) are lighter than usual minerals.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2010 11:51:00 AM More reviews by Ketol

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Amazing foundation. I found out Im slightly Olive toned which is/was a huge shock to me. No wonder prior foundations never matched me that good! Anyway -- Mixing is a BREEZE and it's not daunting at all, really. Order the sample kit with all the bases before you purchase a full kit. There is tons of help on the message boards and Jen can look at your picture and give a perfect recommendation for your recipe.
This foundation stays on all day, it in no way looks cakey at all on me. I'm extremely happy with this and will repurchase forever to have an exact match!
Also, for anyone who likes the slightly 'glowy' look, they have powder you can add in your foundation to get a finish like BE, etc. So it's truly customizable to ANYTHING you like!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2010 6:55:00 PM More reviews by tori8780

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like SN foundations. So far I've used original, medium and the new all-purpose and have liked each one, but original is my favorite. It provides me with the perfect amount of coverage for every day use. If I need a bit more coverage because my skin is acting up, then the medium or all purpose is good, however they seem a bit more drying to me. Mixing your perfect shade can be a bit daunting, and I'm not sure I'm even there yet. But I will continue experimenting becuase I love these foundations so much.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2010 4:12:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

I have bought The Perfect Harmony Foundation Sample Kit. I think this contains their ordinary foundation, and this is too THIN for me, it does not cover! I have a lot of small scars and sometimes active acne...I need to get the "good coverage" at once in the morning before work. There is no time to reapply this 25 times....so I'll try to order some samples of the higher coverage foundation, and see... :)

But I like this foundation in general.

Small update: I realized that the "perfect colour" is not easy to get anyway....I want a "neutral" kind of shade, but it is not easy to mix such a kind of "in the middle colour" yourself. Most of the colours in the kit are warm/yellow/golden, and my skin is quite pink, fair and cool. So I usually wear EMD Fairly Light Neutral, which has a "neutralizing" effect on the red areas in my face, without becoming warm/golden, Such in between-colours are really hard to find, AND even harder to mix yourself....

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2010 4:27:00 AM More reviews by Oryx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I've been using SN foundation since the beginning of April, first using the medium formula, and recently switching to the new silica-free formula, which I prefer. Mixing is not a problem once you figure out your shade, and even if it is not exact the difference will not be obvious. You can purchase in sample sizes to test it out, and the refills are super cheap. Unlike liquid foundation, you don't need to worry about the product going bad, or getting break outs. I've recommended this company to several people, and I don't foresee switching any time soon!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2010 9:11:00 AM More reviews by caitmeg10

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really, really like SN foundation. In the past I’ve tried BE and Jane Iredale (hated), and EDM which was just ok. My skin color changes with the seasons and although I liked, not loved EDM, I found it daunting to keep up with colors. While I’m not fond of mixing my own SN, in the end I found it easier than I thought and more practical as I can always add more base, or base color, right into an already mixed batch to adjust to my changing skin tones. Also, I’ve found that SN is somehow more forgiving if the shade is not quite perfect.

I use “warm gold” mixed into medium base and add 1 scoop of “glow” to every 10 scoops of base. In the summer months, I add a touch of “ebony”. The medium base gives a great deal of coverage. I use a small brush to apply it to imperfections after applying the foundation overall. It really covers well and has a nice finish. I have not used the other bases (original, heavy) so I can’t comment on those but I find the medium pretty build-able.

SN does not break me out and has damn good staying power too. The price is right, the service is great. I’m taking off one lippie as the website is terrible IMO, lacks information, has a bad layout and for not selling the bases in sizes proportionate to tinted bases in at least a 70/30 size ratio so that people are not left with tints and no white base to mix it with. Sell the white base in a larger size please! My last order contained 3 white base and one tinted.

SN has some other great products to check out as well. Their finishing powder and Blurs are awesome!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2010 10:07:00 PM More reviews by prettylights

I went through a long list of other MMU brands and used EDM for about 6 months before trying this. The EDM worked well at first but then I noticed that up close it looked terrible - it definitely enhanced my pores and few fine lines. I'm never switching back from Silk Naturals. The formula is wonderful - it goes on smooth and is so buildable. I used Orig or Medium and Heavy for a concealer if needed, but usually medium is good enough for whatever I need to cover up. I love how my skin looks and have even noticed that in photos my skin looks even and flawless. I recommend this to everyone - or if you're curious at least try the sample kit and see if it works for you, it's inexpensive.

I have posted a more in-depth review on SN Foundation on my blog here: http://prettylightsbeauty.blogspot.com/2011/03/journey-through-foundation-silk.html

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2010 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Babylard

This is my fav mineral makeup up to date. I have pur minerals and I don't like everyday minerals. I love how you can mix your own shade, so you don't have to waste time and money purchasing samples to find your shade. It has minimal ingredients. I am very acne prone and silk naturals has been the best for my skin. pur minerals was also another fav of mine, but it makes my skin itch. everyday minerals tends to oxidize on me as well.

i use a silicon primer under this and moisturize my skin as well. works very well with mac and everyday minerals buki brushes. for best coverage, moisten your buki with mac fix+

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2010 2:19:00 PM More reviews by CathleenM

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE that I can mix my own shade with this product. I have only worn powder prior to this because every foundation I try is either too light or too dark. With this product I got my correct shade on the second try, and I REALLY like the finish. Not powdery, not cakey, just nice and soft and a touch glowy. Finally a foundation I can wear!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2010 1:36:00 AM More reviews by lfnjmakeup

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Foundation was not convenient, didn't provide coverage and was overall not that inexpensive.

I've had some problems with this company's order processes on two orders, either not getting correct product, not getting issues resolved, etc. I rarely do reviews however I would not recommend these products.