November 26, 2014 | 1831 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Sonia Kashuk - Bristle Hair Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2010 6:34:00 PM More reviews by LovelyLilies

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Compared to my crappy ol' $3 Conair brush, this wins by a mile. I've used the $150 MP brush before but I've never owned it so I can't attest to its longevity. With good care, it should last a lifetime. Let's say.. 70 years. The SK is only $15, so as long as buy this at at least 7 year intervals it's a good buy. Plus, I lose things incredibly easily and if I lose a SK that's certainly better than losing an MP.

My hair is very manageable, stick-straight and thin like the the hair of most Asians (hate to stereotype, but it's true). When I first got it, I decided to brush half of my hair with the SK and the other half with my Conair. The SK side felt and looked noticeably softer and smoother.

Since my hair is already very manageable I imagine the SK will last quite a while. I mentioned earlier I need to buy it at at least 7-year intervals and my last Conair brush lasted me well over 10 and it's actually still going strong (NO bristles lost) and I will continue to use it, just as my backpack brush. If you have the tendency to break hair bristles the SK might not be for you and the MP will most likely last longer and be the better buy.

I used to have to brush my hair periodically throughout the day (~5-7 times a day) to keep it shiny and flawless but with the SK I only need to use it twice, sometimes three times a day. I probably use it more than that since the scalp massage is just so darn fun, haha. The scalp massage feels nice but I'm not sure if it did anything since I've never had problems with dandruff to begin with.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2010 2:56:00 PM More reviews by Veromusic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

My fiance and I have been sharing this brush since I seem to have bought the last one at the Target by Marble Hill. We looked for another this weekend in Newport NJ, and Burlington NJ. no luck! Didn't see any Sonia Kashuk products at all actually, what's going on??
Anyway, I did want a M.P. brush but couldn't justify the $$. This has definitely become my favorite brush and has both of us brushing our hair almost ritualistically 2x/day.
It's great.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2010 2:49:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

I'll repeat what's been said numerous times already: I bought this as an alternative to the highly popular (and wildly expensive) Mason Pearson, a brush I don't own (and don't plan to own for a while). For $15, I thought it'd be worth a shot - if I didn't totally love it, it wouldn't be a huge expense.

The only version ever available at my nearest Target was the gold handled one. My hair is thick, but not impossibly so, and when I run this brush over the roots, I really feel it massaging my scalp. Now and again I suffer from psoriasis, especially around the crown, and this (along with some prescription drops from my MD) has helped tremendously. But when I run it over the rest of my hair, it doesn't feel like it does as much as my Aveda paddle brush. It's difficult to explain, but it doesn't feel like it's going all the way through.

I like it enough, but my little guy, who has thick, floppy Disney-cast-member hair, adores it. He says he loves the "scratchy" feeling against his scalp. Hey - anything to get the kid to brush his hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2010 5:42:00 AM More reviews by broadway0rbust

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am lemming pretty badly for a Mason Pearson, but I haven't been completely convinced that I should pay that kind of money for a hair brush, considering the experiences I've had with brushes that don't have hard metal or plastic bristles are not so great - I hate when bristles are so flimsy they can't keep stiff in order to pull through your hair!

Luckily, I didn't have a problem forking over $15 usd for this! I love it! I feels so good on my scalp, and it actually runs through my hair, root to end! It's a great brush IMO, and could perhaps save me $100 if it ends up being an identical replica of the MP brushes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2010 9:37:00 AM More reviews by diggity

This is an amazing brush and an amazing value. I have fine-textured curly hair that I sometimes straighten. I have to be careful with brushes I use because they can really tear at my hair. I previously used a few different brushes from Aveda and the Body Shop, but I've also had all the standards like the Conair round brushes and so on. This is by far the best brush I've ever had. It glides through hair, smoothing it without damaging. It was $15, which is a great price for a quality brush. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2010 1:32:00 AM More reviews by blacktearsofacidrain

i have very long hair that has been put through torture in the past so it tangles alot i to wanted a MP brush but would never buy one as i think they are crazy high in price anyways on the hunt for a decent brush i stumbled on target reviews for this baby and read many and went out and got one and im in love with it!!! it feels great on my scalp and goes through my hair with ease within the first month of use my hair looked healthier then it has in a long time! this will defenitly be the only brush i will ever buy again! only bad thing is that now i cant stop brushing my hair lol

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2010 10:33:00 PM More reviews by novelist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Like the previous reviewer, I do not own a Mason Pearson brush so I cannot compare it with this brush. I did, however, use Fuller brushes as a girl, and I am a bit ashamed to say that it has been that long since I've owned and used a truly fine hair brush. I've got a wide-toothed comb; boar-bristle brush; paddle brush; nylon brush; you name it for styling, and I've been using one or more of them to brush my hair. No longer. This brush is a real hair brush, the kind that reaches in and stimulates the scalp, (poor neglected thing) and most likely will help my hair to grow a lot faster. I've bought Fuller brushes for the males in the house but I cannot explain why I short-changed my locks of hair on this count. This brush evens it all out. I am thrilled to own it and thank MUA reviews for the recommendations. The weight is of a solid heft and it feels like a high-quality grooming tool.

This brush does not give my hair any static, just a nicely groomed appearance without flinging the hairs outward (I'll probably use a lot less "Sleeker.") I have nice hair; now I'll have really nice, lustrous hair because I'm using the right tool for the job by brushing my hair with a real hair brush.

I would repurchase this brush in a New York minute, and I am considering buying one for my daughter.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2010 9:30:00 PM More reviews by gobearson3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I do not own and have never tried a Mason Pearson, so I can't compare this brush to it, but I do like this brush. My hair is straight and relatively thick, so sometimes its hard to get the brush all the way down to the scalp, but i find sectioning off the hair just a little helps in smoothing my hair. I use this at night before I go to sleep for a scalp massage...I don't use this for styling The rubber smell went away quickly and cleaning it is easy...I wash it with soap and water and use a comb to pull the hairs that get caught in the bristles. Maybe some day when its within my budget to get a better brush, I will, but for now this brush is just fine for smoothing my hair without damaging it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2009 8:46:00 PM More reviews by JessicaJames

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I normally hate bristle brushes they make my hair staticy....How can this brush make such a difference? I got this a year ago and I absolutely love it! Makes my hair shinny:) HG! I wish I had this as a child when my hair was down to my butt would have saved me from some vicious tangles...Will never buy another brush.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/24/2009 11:45:00 AM More reviews by bebexlove

I bought the "gold" version of this at my nearest Target.. I don't know if they are the same? but I believe they are.. just a different color.
It's a nice brush but definitely not worth the price tag. The brush works OK in my hair.. wasn't anything amazing. Definitely not something I would recommend to my friend though. ):