Green Tea Tea-Bag Toner

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

green tea (tea bags or leaves), preferably organic. step 1: brew a cup and drink. step 2: massage the used tea bag on cleansed face :D or:: you can refrigerate the teabags to use them cold, or use a cotton ball dipped in the tea on your face rather than teabags...whatever you feel comfortable with :)

on 7/16/2013 8:22:00 AM

Too easy! Once a week I make a seriously strong brew using three green tea bags with half a cup of water. Once cooled I put it in an opaque spray bottle and add a little bit of niacinamide. The concoction feels silky and slippery on my skin and smells beautifully fresh. More importantly it gives my combination skin just enough moisture in the morning underneath my sunscreen. This way I don't need to use anything else. No extra layers of product equals no extra blocked pores or zits. My skin looks more even toned and calm and I know it's fresh every week.

on 7/4/2013 6:00:00 PM

Guess what? Only after two times of using cold green tea bags on my eyes for 15 mins, my dark circle and eye bags are completely gone, and those tiny little white bumps under my eyes almost disappeared! I'm so happy that I found this method on MUA, I have been switching around expansive fancy eye creams over the years and honestly none of it does any good job except giving me all those tiny disgusting bumps under my eyes. Now I drink green tea for my health and weight lose, tone my skin with the green tea water as an antioxidant skin care and apply two cold tea bags on my eyes every morning to avoid dark circles and eye bags, and for the first time in many years, I'm completely dark circle, eye bag free :DDD When I touch my under eyes before I could feel the hardness of the eye bags (that's how serious they were from years of lack of sleeps in my early 20s) and now it's completely flat! Now I'm switching my entire skin care to all kinds of natural products (coconut oil, olive oil, essential oil, green tea, rosewater etc) after the shockingly impressive results after using them.

on 6/13/2013 1:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've used green tea toner for just about 3 day but i have already seen the result, I think green tea is great for controlling oil, the weather is so hot in my country now but thank to the green tea toner, my skin produces less oil than it used to. I put some honey in the toner and it smells really sweet. It is hard to find a oil control toner with such price. Love it

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Green tea is really good! It tastes good and not only that, it is good for your skin!

I'm gonna tell my story of green tea.
About a week ago I made a nice warm cup of green tea and as I was about to throw the tea bag away I thought - isn't green tea meant to be good for your skin? So ripped the bag open and put the leaves in a little pot. ( I really reccomennd making this facial warm, it's so relaxing. So I put a tiny bit more water from the kettle in the leaves to make a paste. Then I just put the leaves on my face and left it on for about 20 minuets! After my skin felt soooooooo smooth! It's such a gentle facial and I recommend this to any one with sensitive skin!

I'm incredibly interested in WHY skin products work. I wanted to know why green tea was good for my skin and why it would work.

In a recent clinical trial green tea has been found to affect the four main causes related to acne production;

(1) increased sebum production

(2) altered keratinization of follicular keratinocytes,

(3) activity of P. acnes, and

(4) inflammation.

Green tea combats all these issues! Meaning it shall create much smaller pores, greatly reduce inflammation, PREVENT the production of acne. It prevents acne as it affects the pore lining; fixing the damaged pore structure; damaged pore structure is how our skin gets clogged up with dirt, dead skin cells and oil. It also kills the P acne bacteria responsible for producing acne (messed up pores and the bacteria are what create acne in the first place). Typically benzolyn peroxide is used to kill P acnes - however many people experience horrific dry skin and skin that looks aged - this is what put me off and why I wanted to research green tea! Green tea has been found to produce none of these extreme affects - found only to have very minor negative affects. BHA is typically used to alter the pores of the skin for those with acne - while I love this product I find it also causes my skin to become flakey. Green tea doesn't! It's also way cheaper than these products!

It also works on acne that is already on the skin; helping healing and lessening inflammation.

Green tea leaves my pores FAR FAR smaller in a couple of uses, it leaves my skin a lot smoother - I haven't been using it long enough to know if it really will do what it has been reported to do but I will update a let you guys know :)!

on 3/9/2013 2:02:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've edited this review a few times after experimenting some and just want to leave this final one instead:

Green tea (plain old Twinings brand) is probably the one skincare product I use almost every day. When I get home and want to be good to my sensitive/breakout-prone skin, I'll take off my makeup and then use a hot green tea bag as a toner all over my face. Then, the most important part- while my face is still damp, I'll open the bag and put a thin layer of the still hot/wet tea leaves over any problem areas- pimples that may be forming or ones I've just popped or old ones that are healing. (thin layer is important because if you put too big a clump on, it won't dry properly and you won't get the best results- you may have to experiment for yourself to see what I mean).

Then I'll go watch tv or go online for a little while being careful (some leaves may fall off but most surprisingly stay on), and in fifteen/twenty minutes the leaves will have dried on your face. I can then brush those off to find much less red/inflamed skin underneath. I'll usually put some more leftover/cold leaves on it throughout the night to keep help bringing any redness/inflammation down. This really works for me, weird as it may sound. It's not all that surprising though since there's research that green tea is good for inflammation and wound healing (look it up!!) among many other things. This is about as organic as it gets.

Pop a pimple or pick at spot? Quick, brew up a hot cup of green tea, use the bag as a toner, and then put a thin clump of some leaves over it for a while. When the leaves are dry and you wipe them off, you should be amazed to see the redness/inflammation/irritation down by a lot. If you have the time, repeat with some leftover leaves.

As far as using it as just a toner- it's good/great but not flawless. It may help combat redness but it can also leave a distinct color to your face that can be visible under makeup along with a film. I've also found that if I try to layer this toner over another layer, it can start leaving those tiny bumps on my forehead, so watch out for that. I don't think this prevents breakouts that come from within (such as from a hormonal balance) but it can definitely combat what you're getting or what you've already got.

Altogether this is wonderful for skin. If you don't like it, you can still use it for tea drinking and it's cheap. I get a box of 50 twinings brand bags from wegmans for probably around 6 bucks and it lasts me several weeks (using 1 or 2 a day). The taste is admittedly pretty bland but I've experimented with more 'exciting' brands/flavors before and this is the one that works best for my skin. The box is totally unassuming (vs. ACNE WASH in your shopping cart or in the bathroom), though of course it does look sort of funny while you're wearing it- but if it works who cares right?

extra tip: For those women who use honey as a mask- I've found that placing those tea leaves over the honey can usually help it stay in place rather than drip down and make a mess (unless the leaves are still too wet!).

I hope this helps! Let me know what you think.

on 2/25/2013 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Like many others, I drink a lot of green tea.

Every once and a while I'll put it on my skin. Particularly when my skin is pretty bad, aggravated, sore.... I find green tea really helps to soothe my skin greatly

After making a cup of tea and letting it steep , a take a small bowl and put the green tea bag in it. I squeeze out the liquid which for me is golden, slightly green in color. I just use the tea bag on my face, dipping occasionally in the extra tea. I don't break open the bag or anything. Just dab the tea on with the teabag. I do not rinse.

I use organic BignLow green tea. Just the brand/flavor I like. Huge boxes can be found at places like BJs.

on 2/24/2013 3:45:00 AM

I personally use Lipton Green Tea teabags (caffeinated) and steep them in an 8 oz glass of water for about 3-5 minutes. After steeping i simply apply pat the tea bag on my face and make sure it coats all troublesome areas (forehead, cheeks, chin). A box of tea bags costs around $2-$3 dollars and is a great substitute for a salicylic/witch hazel toner.

on 2/9/2013 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I am a regular green tea drinker, especially in the summer when we drink almost a gallon of it every day, iced.
I've been reading reviews for a few days and tried spent bags as under-eye compresses this afternoon. Amazing for reducing under eye bags and puffiness.
I have had problems with my eyes ever since a friend died tragically this fall. My stress level has been through the roof, coupled with my grief and the cold weather- I look pretty rough: baggy eyes, dull dry skin. I've tried several eye creams/depuffers and they haven't worked. 7 minutes of cooled green tea bags under each eye and it's amazing how the bags have deflated. I have some cooled tea and bought some reusable cotton pads to use as a compress every morning. I'm so excited- the prospect of spending the rest of my 30s and beyond looking this haggard wasn't very nice.

The price is fantastic, too! $3 something for 100 bags of tea that I'll use anyway. I'm sold!

I consider myself pretty objective in my analysis of products- natural or not, and price has no sway on my judgment.
I have concocted the most delightful skin potion, however.
I logically conclude that the concentration of freshly brewed green tea has more beneficial/antioxidant properties than something that's been processed and diluted and indefinitely sitting on a shelf somewhere... consumables don't get any better after packaging.
So basically I brew a couple ounces of VERY strong organic green tea, let cool, add a little bit of royal jelly with honey, a couple drops of tea tree oil (tea tree oil stinks- if it didn't work I wouldn't use it...Smell dissipates however), a drop or two of lavender essential oil in a small glass bottle and keep in fridge. Feel free to adjust ingredients as necessary. Use as a toner. This particular formula gently tightens my skin and keeps my pores clear.
If I find something that works better for any price, I'll buy it but so far, no luck. I demand results and in some cases buying watered down junk on the shelf doesn't do it for me.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products