Maybelline Define-A-Brow

4.2

Ethylhexyl Stearate, Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Glycerides, Silica, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Methylparaben, Tocopherol, Tin Oxide, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Retinyl Palmitate, Propylparaben, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Ethylparaben, May Contain (+/-):, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), Mica, CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 75470 (Carmine) (Carmine), CI 77000 (Aluminum Powder), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride) (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens) (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green) (Chromium Hydroxide Green), CI 77400 (Copper Powder) (Bronze Powder), CI 77400 (Copper Powder), CI 77510 (Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide), CI 77742 (Manganese Violet) (Manganese Violet), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide) (Titanium Dioxide), FD&C Blue 1 (Blue 1 Lake), FD&C Yellow 5 Aluminum Lake (Yellow 5 Lake)

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Hnnnnggggg!!! This is amazing. Quit screwing around with other eyebrow pencils, cause they all suck compared to this one.

I have red hair (naturally auburn) but my eyebrows are weird and are naturally almost black. Isn't genetics fun and weird? I want a brow pencil to not just define, but also to help make my brows somewhat match the hair on my head, and I want it to be SHARP. Wooden brow pencils are bogus, cause they only stay sharp long enough to make like, one tiny line. I have encountered tons of crap on this quest. Auburn brow pencils are almost non-existent. In fact, the only brand I could find for a while that made one was Anastasia. It was a $28 wooden friggin' pencil, so I lost a ton of product just sharpening it and it never stayed sharp. Oh, and it was a tad too light. Next, I found NYX. They make an auburn. It's really the wrong name for it, though, as it's better suited to match was light red hair. It was mechanical, but had a weird shape.

I found this wee Maybelline brow pencil one day. Two shades were said to work with auburn...one medium-light and one medium. I had doubts, but it was cheap. WELL! My doubts were blown away by the great colour--just auburn enough to make my eyebrows actually match my hair! but dark enough to where it didn't look like I was trying to change the colour of my brows. This Maybelline pencil also has a heck of a point on it. It's always sharp and ready to go. I like the extend my brows out a bit, and it's a breeze to make a clean line with this tiny-tipped brow pencil.

The comb on the end is handy, as I don't have to reach for a separate comb. I'm taking a star off for packaging, though, due to how difficult it is to twist this to make more product rise. Why is it so hard to twist something with such a tiny diameter?! Be ready to She-Hulk this thing. Also, it doesn't have as much product as I think it should have. The outer appearance fibs about how much pencil is actually inside. I don't like lies! I can forgive it, though, since this brow pencil is so awesome.

So! If you're tired of crappy wooden brow pencils that have poor colour selections, try this!

this brow pencil is very good for drawing on small hairs and making your brows look good but not fake for those doing intense brows this isnt good for you cause it might take too much effort the pencil isnt creamy but its not hard to get color i just wish there was a spoolee instead of this weird comb

on 7/3/2014 1:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my HG brow product. I use the dark brown shade and it's the perfect color for my dark brown/black hair. It even worked well when I had blonde hair as well. I find it lasts all day long and gives the perfect amount of color and definition to my brows. I literally can't leave the house without using this on them. Love it, definitely recommend.

I've always been apprehensive about doing my brows, as I have medium/dark brown hair naturally (level 5A), but I bleach to a pretty light cool blonde (level 9N-9A). So of course my brows are quite dark compared to my blonde hair. I consider my brows to be my best feature, so I've started filling them in and defining the arches. I heard about this brow pencil from makeupalley, of course, and I went to CVS and picked it up in dark blonde. My brows are closer to a light-medium brown, but I didn't want something too dark. The dark blonde shade is perfect. It adds just enough definition without looking obvious. All my blonde girls with dark brows need this pencil in dark blonde. This is not a traditional wooden pencil that needs sharpening, but a twist-up self sharpening pencil. The texture of the product is harder than I thought it would be, but it still applies easily enough. It really isn't bad, I just wish it was softer and more blendable. I did take off one lippie because of the texture and because I wish there was a spoolie at the end instead of a comb. But if you're a brow newbie like myself, this is probably the best brow pencil to start with.

on 5/8/2014 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my holy grail eyebrow pencil. I've been through many eyebrow products, however this is the one that gives me the best result thus far without breaking the bank. I'm currently on my 3rd or 4th one as of now. I use this color in medium brown. I like that it's a retractable pencil. It comes with a little comb at the end, which I never use. If you apply too much pressure it can tend to break, so be careful with that. It's very easy to use and I realize it gives me the best result with less time to apply it. Although, I love this product and the appearance it gives me. It seems like there's not that much product in it because I will find myself have to buy a new one frequently. However, I do use this daily which may be the reason.

on 5/7/2014 1:33:00 AM

4th one I've bought back to back! I love how precise and easily I can build my brows up with this! I am so in love and I always recommend to friends when they ask what I use!

on 4/28/2014 9:36:00 PM

I tried this, and I cannot even get it on without it breaking off.. I'm returning this right away. The price is probaly the only good thing, but cheap makeup isnt always good makeup. You get what you pay for, sometimes.

on 4/19/2014 12:39:00 PM

Had to write a review cause this stuff stayed on after I ran a half marathon trail race AND took a shower! Plus it was even a hotter day than expected so I sweat some too. I usually keep this in my purse as a back up and threw it on at the last minute, so I had no expectations. But at 60, my brows are sparser than ever, so this now becomes my main brow staple! I've been using it ever since and the only problem is how fast you use the little stub of color--has to be twisted up after each use. But at 5-6 dollars this is no problem.

on 4/14/2014 8:39:00 PM

I've been brow-obsessed for years and I've used tons of different brow products. My HG brow pencil is MAC Eye Brows but this Maybelline pencil is honestly just as good. Similar packaging/size, color is good, and it stays on all day. Love this stuff. I always have at least two in my makeup bag.

on 4/11/2014 7:58:00 PM

Because my brows are becoming increasingly sparse (from age, I suppose), I am in need of a product that will not wipe off easily on portions of bare skin. I noticed during my research that Define-A-Brow is advertised as being "long wearing" and from the product website "Smear-proof formula wears all day" so I purchased it in Medium Brown.

To test the durability, I drew a line from the pencil onto my wrist (which was extremely dry and clean), waited 5 minutes, and surprisingly was able to wipe it completely off my skin with one light swipe of my finger. I didn't even have to rub! I then waited over 30 minutes to be certain the product had time to set but was still was able to wipe it off just as easily.

I am utterly astonished this product is advertised as smear proof. Also, Medium Brown has too much orange to blend with my eyebrows (which is a very dark brown color).

I'm so glad I purchased at RiteAid where I can return it for full price.

Popular Brows Products