Paula's Choice

Not tested on animals

on 4/18/2015 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

She touts herself as an unbiased expert. Yet she sells her own cosmetics line swimming in silicones. She is inconsistent in her reviews, an ingredient is bad in one product but ok in another. I have no faith in her reviews

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have issues with this site for several reasons.

1. She is reviewing her products along side competitors. Her reviews, therefore, are inherently biased.
2. Claiming essential oils are simply irritating fragrances, without serving a purpose
3. Claiming percentages of potential irritants are too high without specifically stating what those percentage numbers are.
4. Criticizing some products for having too many preservatives while arguing with others that there is nothing wrong with synthetic ingredients.
5. Ripping on any day product that doesn't have a SPF. I personally don't need to layer on SPF in my skincare, nor do I think it's fair to knock a product on something is DOESN'T have.
6. Several "old faithful" products that I love and live by are trashed on her site. Other products that I have been less than pleased with were top rated.

It's helpful that she gives the backstory on companies, but that doesn't matter much to me. I don't care if a product was born on the moon- as long as it lives up to it's claims of efficacy and is safe.

on 4/17/2015 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I have never cared much for Paula Begoun honestly and I find that I feel the same about her site. I want to apologize up front for my lengthy rant... er, I mean review.
Her site is something that has irked me for awhile and I just found this area to review it, so Im unloading!!! HAHAHA!!! ( meant to be a villanous evil laugh :)

Okay, so the only thing I do like and have to, grugdingly, give credit for is the fact that ingredients to all products being reviewed are listed. Most reviews will also contain descriptions of all ingredients along with benefits and usages, etc. I do find it somewhat informative, so I guess thats deserving of the one star you have to give to leave a review.

As far as the ratings given to each product and her review as to the effectiveness or quality of said product.... I give absolutely no credence to her reccomendations . I find it impossible to put any faith in her reviews for a few reasons:

1. As other reviewers here have mentioned there is a very obvious pattern on her reviews...... she bashes just about all high end products in an ongoing effort of convincing everyone that her products are superior but less expensive.

2. I frequently find products on her site with very bad ratings that I either own myself and know personally work well and/or products that seem to get very good ratings here and elsewhere.

3. She knitpicks little things that are just out right silly.

4. She relies way too much on her own opinion/preferences, verses sticking to the facts, formulations and how the product actually performs. For instance, any day time product not containing a sunscreen automatically gets a lower rating and bashing from her. I have read reviews where she even states that the product is well formulated and packaged, but due to the lack of a spf she cannot give a favorable rating.

I find this to be unacceptable considering that this to me is a preference. Not everyone is looking for an added sunscreen. Some people like using their own fave spf, some people may be sensative to spf ingredients, and some, like myself, just prefer not to have an spf in their products. I do not like the white cast they leave and they are horrible for photos, so I prefer to add one seperate when I choose.

Ditto for products containing fragrances. Again, I feel this is preference. There are many people whom do prefer fragrance free products. That said, there are also many whom do not mind or even prefer a fragrance. I actually find the wonderful fragrances of most highend products to be pleasing and that it adds to the feeling of luxury. The overall experience of using highend products is why I prefer them.

I just find these to be ridiculous reasons to give an otherwise well performing product a low rating. She should perhaps add a system for flagging these products, or using symbols. That way people with skin sensativities and/or those looking for an added spf will be aware, without needlessly underminding a good product.

5. Her reviews and ratings often do not correspond with her own comments and statements, she contradicts herself. Example, on every review there is a section for brand info, a brief description of the company owner, what their ideals are, type of products they manufacture, etc.
She will give praise to a brand, for things like producing mostly good products, great packaging, no harmful addictives, etc. But yet, if you go and look at the product reviews for said brand you will find all if not most reviews and ratings to be bad or low.

Its seems as though she feels it ok to product bash, but when it comes down to it, she doesnt want to bad mouth brands for fear she will be black balled or shunned in the industry. Two faced much?? If she truly feels that a brand produces mostly awful,non consumer friendly products that deserve such low ratings, why not call them on it? How can she possibly feel positive about a brand that produces such non quality products?

6. Next, and perhaps the most off putting for me, is the fact that she actually has her own brand listed, and not only reviews them, but they all include a buy now option.. Seriously?

How tacky is it to review your own products?! Of course all of her products get a 5 star rating and include no cons under her pros and cons section. She even goes so far as to reccomend buying her products as alternatives to the low rating or expensive products.

If you must review your own products and dont find the act itself to be in poor taste, then at least be non biased.

7. Last, her products. She is the cosmetic cop, so knowledgeable in cosmetics and skincare that she sits upon her throne and critiques the products of others. You must past the Beautypedia inspection to have a quality product. She has given herself this title, so grand is she in the world of beauty. Then why the hell cant she produce a decent product??!!
You would think her products would be spectacler, but most of her product line is subpar. The reviews here speak volumes. She has a few stand out products that get great ratings, mostly her AHA and BHA products. Otherwise her products leave much to be desired.
They are dollarstore quality products with drugstore - mid end product prices. Perhaps she should spend more time on the development of her own products and less picking apart everyone elses.

For all of these reasons, she doesnt and will never have any credibility in my eyes.

I am always so shocked to see how may adoring fans she has, how many women whom will not even purchase a product without consulting her site. Really, I cannot be the only person whom sees so clearly through her tacky sales and marketing ploys.

As a business owner myself, I simply have no respect for her or her brand. I find her, her site and product line, to be in poor taste :(

If youve read this far, Id like to thank you for taking the time to read my rant to its entirety. :)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I trust Beautypedia 100 per cent when it comes to evaluation of sun protection (SPF) in products. Paula is a sun protection evangelist and for that alone Beautypedia is a gift. I also appreciate her no-nonsense reviews of very expensive serums and products from high-price companies - she basically dumps on all very pricey products and that has changed my life for the better - I know I can look great without spending a fortune. She's very upfront about what topicals can and cannot do and she debunks advertising like nobody's business. I never buy a product without consulting Beautypedia first, just to see what Paula's team thinks of it. Doesn't mean I always agree, but the Beautypedia commentary is always welcomed and informative in my book.

on 3/11/2015 10:13:00 AM

I always refer to her beautypedia for rating of products but I skip parts where she exalts her own products. I hate it, hard-selling.

I know what I like in her products and that are the bha and aha line. That's it.
I have my own oils, retin a and vitamin c serum, other moisturizers, so I'm not tempted to buy anymore of her products.

If only, they sell hydroquinone in Australia, then that'd be perfect.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Before she started her own line I found her site and her books more trustworthy. Its hard to take all her opinions at face value when she now has a stake in the business and not just a very informed/educated consumer.

Putting that conflict of interest aside, there is a great deal of good information on her website about ingredients that can prove very useful in your future decisions on buying products. I do not however agree with all of her reviews or take them as gospel.

Moving on to her actual website and products, she started out humble and affordable and now all products are much more pricey than they were initially while still coming in cheapo drugstore containers. Her products are hit or miss and her makeup line is a disaster. She had a great conditioner and completely modified it to include proteins which many people cannot use daily.

The only thing I fully 100% agree with her on and praise her for is having a total commitment to fragrance free products which many people including myself need.

on 3/5/2015 9:34:00 PM

Very biased reviews. I went on the website with a positive mindset because I heard some people talking about how her reviews seem very interesting and trustworthy. All I came across was very biased reviews. All of the very high end department skincare was rated poor and every single one of her own skin care items are rated best, yet I have heard no one raving about Paula's Choice skincare products. Her reviews are surely interesting to read and I see why it convinces many people to follow it but I won't do the same myself. The Cetaphil line was apparently rated very well before her own skincare came out and afterwards it was rated poor-average because they said "We have recommended this skincare line for many years but not anymore.", they went on to say it's outdated and the chemical no longer works(you can check the reviews on the website).
I do not trust Paula's Choice skincare reviews at all and her biased opinions on her own skincare line, props to her for making it but I don't respect the fact that she's taking advantage of her loyal readers.

on 3/2/2015 3:17:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

for people who have specific skin concerns or get overwhelmed by the vast array of products available, this is a great resource. however, skin care is a very individual thing & any advice should be taken w/ a grain of salt. this has been a helpful jumping off point for me to build an effective skin care routine, but i don't take BP's reviews as gospel, merely as a way to weed through products & find well-formulated, properly-packaged, budget-friendly ones. i don't really read their reviews of PC products (even though i like PC); they're formulated according to the BP criteria, so of course they're going to be rated well. i find it more helpful at sorting through other brands, & i always cross-reference w/ MUA to see people's actual experiences, not just the science.

on 3/2/2015 3:58:00 AM

Pros - You can learn a LOT, and I mean a LOT, from Paula's site. You can look up the vast majority of ingredients you will find in skin care products and see what is good and bad for skin. They list their sources for their information, so you can look at those as well.

I have found several products that I really like from Beautypedia reviews, as well.

Cons - There is a pretty rigid criteria for products, so you may miss out on something that would be good for you because it received a lackluster review from PC.

For example - I use plenty of products that have all the things PC loves - antioxidants, cell-communicating ingredients, and skin repairing ingredients.

However, I don't think every single product you use MUST have these things. In fact, my skin seems to appreciate a "break" from all of that, and reacts well to a night moisturizer that is simple and highly moisturizing - one in which the ingredients are focused on moisture and little else.

I also try not to use products with fragrance, because I agree with PC that it's completely unnecessary and potentially irritating.

However, my skin usually doesn't react to fragrance. So if I find a product that is perfect for me except that it has fragrance, of course I will use it, despite PC's low rating.

The take away - use the site to learn, to find new products, to learn what ingredients you should avoid at all costs (like denatured or SD alcohol). But! Also get to know your own skin, and learn to use the knowledge of what your skin needs to read between the lines of the reviews on the site.

on 2/16/2015 10:17:00 AM

I only discovered beautypedia in the last year or so, and now, I try to consult it before making any cosmetics or skincare purchase. Do I always agree with their reviews and ratings? Absolutely not. There are products I really like that they don't, and vice versa. Do I always agree with their premises? Definitely not. I don't agree, in my case, that a regular face moisturizer can be used in my eye area. My eye area is VERY dry. I also don't believe fragrance causes "cell death." That just sounds exaggerated to me. I also find their rating their own products BEST is annoying. But, I do find a lot of the information it provides to be extremely helpful.

Popular Other Products