Castor Oil

4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

been using castor oil on my eyebrows for the past 2 months when i can be bothered and even so it has actually worked my eyebrows are a lot thicker and not so many gaps, all my life ive never really had thick eyebrows they have always been thin and especially after shaving them off as a 13 year old there hasnt been much hair but now there is and in my inner part of my eyebrow has started to grow yet there ha never been hair there at all so i suggest everyone try it to improve hair growth :-)

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I love my oil..Is great for my skin and hair.

on 3/9/2015 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this initially to try to grow my thin Asian lashes a bit but realized that the massive bottle meant I could experiment with it as a moisturizer, too.

I've been using it for about 2-3 months now.. my lashes are, unfortunately, no longer than when I started out (or if they are longer, it is definitely not noticeable). I've been using this on my lashes, my brows, and my face. I'm pretty sure I'm breaking out from this.. I've been getting more acne than usual, which is highly noticeable because I very, very rarely get acne.

I also tried it on a chest for a week or so and actually got a few cystic zits there.. I've had trouble with body acne before but never cystic on my chest.

The texture is quite sticky and the smell isn't incredibly strong but it isn't that pleasant, either. It does dissipate quickly though.

All in all it really didn't do anything for me other than perhaps give me some acne, haha. It's modestly moisturizing, but I do have very dry skin esp in the winter so that might just be me. I'll continue to use it probably for quite a while since even with religious use I have 90% of the bottle left after 2-3 mths, but I'll be more careful about where I use it to try to avoid encouraging acne. Will update if I see a difference with lashes.

on 3/5/2015 1:54:00 PM

This has so many uses. I've been using this on my lashes every night and within a matter of days, they were fluffier and longer. I had lost a lot of lashes from trying to remove clumpy mascara but now they look great! I used it on my hair once and although it made my hair super shiny and soft, the oil took a week to wash out so it wasn't worth it to me. I've also been using the oil cleansing method (winter has been hard on my skin) and my skin is glowing. The mix I use is about 1/4 castor oil and 3/4 walnut oil.

on 2/27/2015 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I started using castor oil a week ago for my eyelashes, eyebrows, and hair. I've been using it religiously at night before I go to bed, and I'm already seeing results! Both my hair and my lashes are shinier and thicker, and my hair has grown 1.2cm in 9 days, which I think is amazing! It's so soft now too ^.^ My lashes have also grown, and they're actually starting to wisp out at the corners. Overall I'm definitely pleased with what I'm seeing so far. I'm gonna continue using castor oil every night until my hair is as long as I want it to be :P I think it will be a holy grail item that I will be using for a long time.

* I've also been mixing in coconut oil, it makes the castor oil easier to apply since it's so thick. Coconut oil is another oil that promotes hair growth and health! Love it.

on 2/26/2015 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

DISCLAIMER: this is a cumulative review for a DIY hair mask that includes castor oil as a main component but it may not be the sole reason for the fantastic results I've yielded.

So I henna my hair and its in decent shape. I try to take good care of it despite heat styling regularly and I do tend to wash it daily with a sulfate free shampoo and color protecting conditioner. The daily washing obviously dries my hair out and my ends, from previous bleachings, are pretty fried/dry for the most part. All that being said, I've been looking for ways to improve its condition but without burning holes in my pockets as my visits to Sallys tend to do.

I've recently used coconut oil I'd say a total of 3 times (melt it down, apply, and let sit for an hour +) and its vastly improved my hair from a breakage standpoint. This is over the span of 2 weeks, people. Pretty impressive when I'm used to little hair fragments lining my palms while ringing my hair out only to see NOTHING since the coconut oil. So I delved a bit deeper into oils and hair remedies and this is what I've gathered:

Coconut oil (cold-pressed/organic 5$ at walmart)
Tea Tree Oil (small vial, 8.49 at Whole Foods)
Castor Oil (cold-pressed, 5.49 at Whole Foods)
Sweet Almond Oil (processing not specified, 6.49 at Publix)

I was too eager to try each item one at a time so this morning, I took my ingredients and added a little over a tbsp of coconut oil, 3 or so tbsp of almond oil, 4 or so tbsp of castor oil, and like 8 drops of tea tree oil (caution here as I've read it can be quite strong but I didn't feel anything)

I washed my hair with regular shampoo, towel dried it, and applied the warm concoction to my hair, starting at my ends. I really slathered it on and there was much leftover from my medium thick, shoulder length hair. I then really rubbed it into my scalp, covered with saran wrap and a shower cap for the drippies, then a warm towel and let it sit for 2 hours.

I washed my hair 3 times with a light shampoo (Miracle 7 Heavenly Healer) and conditioned it at the ends. (I should mention that because I like the smell I added a ton of tea tree to both my 'poo and conditioner before I washed too)

Anyways, my hair is fully dry now and I can't believe the results. It's like back to its virgin state before chemicals ever touched it (i.e. 9 years ago!). It's so so soft, but not in that silicone way that some conditioners and leave-ins cause. It's like the hair itself is restored. The shine level is 15 on a scale of 1-10 and it's got nice body. And this is one use here people! I bought all these items for growth but am content enough with just the state my hair is in now.

I spent less than 25$ on all these items which will last me a good while and combined they've worked better than any high end treatment/conditioner i've purchased. Try the mixture and see for yourself!

I have used grapeseed oil as my only oil for OCM for 8 months and decided to venture out with different oils: enter castor oil. My face was pretty much blemish free and smooth: no complaints! After using 20% castor oil & 80% grapeseed, my face was covered with under skin bumps within 2 uses. I know a purging face can happen, but I never experienced this when using just grapeseed. In my opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I went back to grapeseed oil only, acv toner, and cerave (only until my acne cleared up). I gave the bottle of castor oil to my mom. Hopefully it'll make her eyelashes grow.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Castor oil is something I cannot live without! It is essential for my hair, eyebrow, and eyelash growth! I've used castor oil for quite some time and have seen major improvements on my eyebrow and eyelashes!

To apply I cleaned out an old mascara wand (Maybelline Great Lash Clear Mascara) and dip it into my castor oil, take off the excess, and apply to my brows and lashes every night. My eyebrows use to be sparse and extremely light, but now they are much fuller and darker! My lashes have significantly grown and thicken as well! I also apply it as a hot oil treatment weekly to my hair and same results.

on 2/2/2015 6:08:00 AM

Castor oil is a must have for anyone! I started off by using it on my eyelashes to promote healthy, luscious lashes. I didn't really believe they would promote new growth. I was wrong.

I believe because my lashes received the nourishment and care they needed, it promoted new growth. The little massage I do while applying it also helps. My lashes are fuller, longer, thicker, and just beautiful. I have been asked on several occasions what mascara I was using, when I was make up free!

How I use it: Mix some castor oil with another oil (optional, but suggested to help with spreading castor oil since its very thick) in a small container. I mostly use almond oil, or coconut oil if I ran out. I leave it in my bathroom cabinet and use once every night. I just dip my ring finger (its the gentlest when applying pressure) into the container and gently massage it on my lash line. Then I run my finger along the lashes with the left over oil that's on my finger. I do the same to my lower lashes sometimes.

I recently started using it in a mix for my hair. I will update soon with my progress!

on 1/28/2015 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I dont use this for my eyebrows since my eyebrows are already so full, but i heard castor oil can help grow your eyelashes as well. My eyelashes are very short and no amount of mascara ever helped give the effect of long lashes for me so i eventually gave up and started wearing falsies as part of my everyday routine. Fast forward to 9 days ago, i was looking at random reviews to find new products to try and i came across a blog where the blogger used castor oil to grow out her lashes, i then googled this bizarre trick only to find that its a very popular solution to growing lashes. I had a bottle of castor oil USP (the laxative one) so i started putting it on my upper lashline every night and in the short 9 days ive been using it, my eyelash length has doubled! I decided to test out my new found eyelash length last night by wearing mascara instead of falsies and everyone asked me if i was wearing my falsies! This stuff is amazing and so cheap, i will continue using this everynight!

Popular Brows Products