November 28, 2014 | 1475 users online

Brows - Castor Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2014 12:37:00 PM More reviews by glendonwyne

So like a lot of people, I heard from the internet that this stuff would make your eyelashes grow. I was skeptical, but it's so damn cheap that I was willing to try it. Does it work? Surprisingly, yeah, it sort of does. Read on for more!

Background: I don't have great eyelashes. They're not long, they're not thick, and they tend to fall out and poke me in the eye. Often. We're talking at least 2 a day. Every time I pulled on my eyelashes a teeny bit, at least one would fall out.

What I did: So I bought some castor oil, and used an eyeliner brush to swipe it along my upper lashline. Then I'd use an old spoolie to brush an excess along my lashes. If I'd had an old mascara tube, I would have put some in there and applied it like mascara as well. I applied it in the morning only (when I applied it at night I woke up to puffy eyes in the morning).

What happened: The first thing I noticed is that my eyelashes stopped falling out. This was almost immediate. Within 1-2 weeks, my eyelashes started to look thicker. In another week, they started to look longer. I didn't apply any to my lower lashline, but they also had a similar effect. Because the lashes are on different growth cycles, it took maybe ~4-6 weeks for everything to even out.

Conclusion: I've been using the oil regularly for ~6 weeks now, and my lashes don't seem to be growing anymore. They do look much better, especially with mascara, but the effects aren't anywhere as drastic as Latisse. My theory is that the oil works for lashes like conditioner works for hair: it reduces breakage, which helps the lashes reach their genetic potential. If your lashes are already good, it may not do anything for you. For me, considering the cost and the amount of effort, I'm pleased with the results.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2014 12:49:00 PM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Castor oil is extremely thick so I wouldn't recommend it for use on the face, but for hair - especially thinning or out of condition hair - it's great when mixed with other oils and left on overnight then washed out with a mild clarifying shampoo the next morning. I mix mine with sweet almond and jojoba and add other hair-friendly oils such as rosemary, lavender and tea tree. I then pop pure argan oil just on my hair ends to help prevent split ends as I wash and blow dry or use straighteners most days and colour it at least once every 3 weeks. Since I started using hair oils my hair is in extremely good condition and has a shine I haven't seen since I was in my late teens/early twenties.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2014 2:02:00 AM More reviews by gemmyca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this stuff!

I use it to massage my face to unclog my pores (oil cleansing method), my hardened sebum bumps (ew!) just slips out with a little squeeze. (I use castor oil + sweet almond oil for this)

I also use it to grow my lashes and eyebrows. I'm Asian so I originally have thin, short lashes but now they're pretty long ;)

Tip for all the ladies but mostly for y'all Asians with small lashes: use the Shu Uemura eyelash curler and a waterproof mascara to show off what castor oil has gifted you! Haha :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2014 8:03:00 PM More reviews by eyelinerjunkie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Miracle product. I have used castor oil to rid my chin and neck of shaving bumps (a thin layer before bed for a week), reduce dark circles (with the same nightly application) and as an overnight body moisturiser.

These are all wonderful and practical uses but my favourite use is on my eyelashes. I have been applying it to the roots for a few months almost every night and there is noticeable growth and extra thickness. Even my friend of many years asked what mascara I was wearing on my bare lashes. What's more is that applying it under my eyes have even made my almost non-existent bottom lashes spring forth. You can even use it as a makeup remover for that stubborn eyeliner between the lash roots. I've also read about it being used to treat verrucas but I haven't tried this myself.

I use the Pukka organic cold-pressed castor oil. It's not exactly cheap but for the results I am happy to pay the price again.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 10:41:00 PM More reviews by cgil7

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used castor oil now...in my hair...for several years. My hair started thinning in my late 30's due to hormonal issues and anemia. I have long, baby fine hair that used to be pretty abundant but after so many years of hair loss, is now half of what it use to be. I tried a lot of things but what ultimately stopped the shedding is castor oil.

No need to glob it on...it is a very thick oil. All you need to do is add 2 or 3 drops of it to the amount of shampoo you use every time you wash your hair. It will not make your hair gummy or flat or greasy. But after using it for a few weeks it stopped my shedding and has ever since.

I use the Heritage brand from Whole Foods. The small bottle will last you well over a year so it is dirt cheap. I keep it in my shower. It worked perfectly for me and is definitely worth a try if you have shedding problems.

I also used it for awhile on my lashes...worked well but tended to break me out around the eyes and brows (I tried it there too) I really loved it for my lashes and would have kept using it if it weren't for the breakouts. I may revisit it one day...see if I still have the same problem.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 7:13:00 AM More reviews by Habibiii

I have been using castor oil for around a year now. I bought it from a supermarket in the UK.

EYELASHES; I had hardly any on the lower eyelids and the upper were very sparse. I applied castor oil to the lashes only every night for a month and now have a visible lower lid full of lashes. You do have to be careful incase you get it in your eyes as with vaseline or you will have uncomfortable, red or puffy eyes the next morning so I find it is helpful to use disposable mascara wands you can get cheaply on ebay.

HAIR; around 7-8 months ago i cut my hair to just 2 inches below shoulder length. I have applied castor oil mixed with mustard seed oil probably about 5 times within the first three months of having it short. I would mix more mustard seed oil than castor as it is too thick to massage into the scalp and then left it on overnight on most occasions or for half an hour to an hour before showering. I now have a lot more hair (after fall out and thinning from flat irons) its healthy (i stopped hair straighteners all together) and it is at least 4-5 inches if not more, longer now. As well as the hair growth my hair was noticeably softer as soon as I had dried my hair after washing it out.

EYEBROWS; My eyebrows were a bit thin in places and applying castor oil has filled the gaps right up!

I know a persons diet can affect the outcome, mine isn't the most healthiest you can do but it definitely isn't all junk either. E.g. I never skip a breakfast of cereal. Regularly have tuna or other kinds of fish (known for hair care properties) as well as small amounts of fruit, I don't eat white bread only brown and always have a desert in the evening (some chocolate, mini ice cream lollies, or sweets)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2014 1:30:00 PM More reviews by Gita1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Castor oil is touted to have many healing properties and in my case it has been very effective for healing dermatitis on two different occasions. First, I had an issue with an irritated red peeling spot on my lower lip that would not go away for over a year. Nothing traditional helped. It could have been a precancerous spot. I applied castor oil twice day to the area after brushing teeth and then some aquaphor or Vaseline and the problem resolved in less than two weeks and has never returned. That was a year or two ago. Recently I developed some eyelid dermatitis,which I tend to get off and on in response either to allergens or actives in my skin care - who knows? I could not get it to subside- had inflammation, peeling redness etc. I could not use anything in the area and no makeup without further irritation. I eliminated all possible irritants and used only aquaphor or even hydrocortisone in the area to no avail. Then I remembered the castor oil that healed the lesion on my lip. After cleansing I applied a tiny bit of castor oil to eyelids and later added a bit of Vaseline. After 1 to 2 weeks, the problem resolved and has not returned. And of course I have used it on eyelashes. That was the original reason I got it. They do get healthier, longer and I have had a sparse area improve. It soothes my eyes as well. I wake up with calmer less dry eyes when I use it. Love it. I have the Heritage brand.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/11/2014 9:52:00 AM More reviews by karensmua

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was really disappointed that this didn't work for me. I tried it on my (very sparse) eyelashes but all it did was give me extremely puffy eyes the next morning so I couldn't persevere with it. Really disappointed but I think I must just be super sensitive to it so I'd say it can't hurt to try it and see. For everyone else it really seems to work.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2014 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Gabriela11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had never used castor oil on eyelashes because I always think I get the oil in my eyes. However I use it every night in the area around the eyes and although I am 54 years old I donīt have crows feet. I never use it either in the hair or on the face or body, but having read these posts I will give it a try mixing it with moisturizers.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2014 7:26:00 AM More reviews by chuckyman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Thank you to put information about this wonderful oil, castor oil already has many benefits for the hair, particularly hair growth i read an article in this link
About castor oil for hair growth and decided to buy it :)