April 19, 2014 | 925 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Boots - No7 Shine Free Make-Up Base

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2012 9:58:00 AM More reviews by YCH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this some time ago when I had a No7 voucher and put it to one side for the odd day when I need foundation to last for ages in the heat, but was put off it by other reviewers.
HOWEVER, I'm currently acting in a local panto and used it last night for several hours under stage lights and my (old and slightly too dark) foundation looked fantastic at the end of the evening. I applied it about half an hour before my make-up, did not use moisturiser as my skin is so oily already. It is of a thick consistency and I have no experience of other primers, but that foundation would definitely have oxidised and gone shiny without it, so I'm happy.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2012 2:18:00 AM More reviews by mirageangelhope

problem one It literally has the consistency of toothpaste and feels like it on my skin.I found that it wasn't even able to give an even constancy going on my face so it my foundation application impossible.It was really matifying when you could get it on thin enough but it just wasn't worth the price or the trouble.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2012 11:30:00 PM More reviews by SFlove89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to like this product, but it simply does not sit well on the skin (well at least it doesn't on mine). It has amazing staying power and looks great when first applied, but after two or three hours I end up blotting my face... AND after doing so, my skin looks cracked and looks like it has a bunch of dry patches! I do suffer from severe acne, but now that I am taking medication for it my skin is almost crystal clear. I exfoliate two to three times a week so I don't understand why my face ends up looking cracked and dry with this primer. I've used many primers and have never had this problem up until now. This primer has a very tacky consistency so don't expect it to glide on smoothly.. even with moisturizer. I've tried applying moisturizer right before applying the primer and that didn't help.. So I tried waiting thirty minutes then applying the primer and that didn't help either. Either way, you have to work extremely quick because it dries up in seconds. Not working it quickly into the skin, it will clump up and start rubbing off when touched. I wouldn't recommend this primer but it can be used as a eye shadow primer.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/13/2012 5:41:00 AM More reviews by CatrionaShadowleaf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Agree with other reviews in that it's not a great face primer - and it smells AWFUL - but it works fairly well for eyeshadow, though it does leave a slight white colour if you miss applying any shadow to it. Honestly I didn't expect much as it's really cheap, and I didn't get it.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/29/2011 6:18:00 PM More reviews by daniellealexandra

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have a love/hate relationship with this primer, in the sense that I'm not overly keen on it but I have no idea what other primer to try.

It says to use with moisturiser but my face gets really shiny so I try not to moisturise my face too often.

Putting it on without moisturiser however is difficult -- it's quite difficult to spread and sometimes leaves streaks which are hard to blend.

It's a great eyelid primer though, and the colour really shows up.

I always buy this one because it's the only one I know and I'm looking to try a new one that's probably cheaper.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2011 12:55:00 PM More reviews by cariad

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd have to echo previous reviews and say that this is useless as a face primer. It's thick, difficult to spread around the face and makes foundation application difficult, if not impossible.

However, I've found that it is useful as an eyeshadow primer if I use it without applying moisturiser/foundation to my eyelids first.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 12:30:00 PM More reviews by TurtleMoon

I don't really understand what others have said here - I've experienced absolutely no problems with this product at all. It doesn't 'ball up' when applied and as far as my face is concerned, is really easy to apply. I put this on after I've applied my moisturiser, but perhaps this is where I differ. I usually apply my moisturiser straight after my shower and then apply this when I do my makeup, which is usually at least 30 minutes later. Perhaps that's the secret?! Either way, I LOVE this product. A little goes a long way, and although I wouldn't say my face stays shine-free all day, it's definitely not as shiney as it would be without it. I would definitely recommend this and will be buying again.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/12/2011 7:25:00 AM More reviews by LilLexy100

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have to agree with many of the comments below, try as I might, I just can't get this product to stop balling up on my face. I've tried a light moisturiser, a heavy moisturiser (and defeating the object!), dabbing it on after my makeup, letting it set before my make up....all to no avail. It still goes on patchy, makes my skin look flaky and chalky no matter how little of the primer I use. I'm just glad I had a Boots No7 5 off voucher otherwise I'd be unhappy at paying the full price for this! I'll keep using it for my oily forehead as I have a fringe so need little makeup there, but I wont be repurchasing. I've never had am amazing experience with any No7 product - they're very good at hype and marketing sub-par products.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2011 8:35:00 PM More reviews by saoirsealainn

Although I read a few fairly damning reviews of this product a while ago, I did want to try a mattifying primer that wasn't too expensive, and so I decided to give it a try anyway.
I experienced many of the same issues that lots of people have - the primer can be patchy, takes mattifying to the point of drying/flaking, the product balling up if you touch it too much, etc. I was very patient, and tried applying it in every way possible. The best way, as far as I found, was to take TINY amounts, and pat it gently into the skin, only rubbing the smallest amount possible to prevent any problems with the texture. The matte effect can be felt immediately, with the primer almost sticking to the fingers because of its dryness. This results in a very patchy effect (no matter how careful I am!) if I use any powder foundation over it - my MAC Studio Fix powder turned into a cakey, flakey horror!
It is a bit better with liquid foundation, but even then, I didn't find that it had a lasting matte effect throughout the day. To be honest, my Revlon ColourStay foundation (without anything underneath it) has a much better mattifying effect than this primer + any of my other foundation. Unless I were to apply loads of it (in which case it would be sticky and ball up), it is not hugely effective; and it is SO difficult to get the hang of application that I just cannot say that it's worth it.
I try to use it occasionally, when I feel a primer urge! But I wouldn't purchase again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2011 3:50:00 PM More reviews by harls321

It is all in the application for this product. I use it on top of my sunscreen and dab it into my skin using very little doing each part of my face one at a time. I have very oily skin and it did okay with control. I like that the texture was somewhat dry and not like the usual silicone-y slickness of other primers. I wouldn't suggest this primer to anyone who has dry skin.