December 21, 2014 | 885 users online

Toners - Rosewater

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2013 5:24:00 PM More reviews by lalaiamcool

It's summer and I'm out of school, and I really wanted to get my skin back in shape from stress, eating badly, and sleeping late. I tried all sorts of things, new moisturizers, toners, masks, serums, but all that money down the drain my skin still did not look better. It was still full of hyperpigmentation and dull, and my face averaged 3-4 pimples a week, some of them actually cystic, which was very bizarre since I've never gotten a cystic pimple in my life. I really was beginning to lose hope. So I decided to ditch these products, and try home/DIY remedies. The first was apple cider vinegar, but I couldn't stand the smell despite whatever miracle claims it promised. Many DIY trial and errors later, I stumbled upon rose water, and decided to research it extensively. I stopped by CVS one day to stock up on things, and came across an inexpensive bottle of "rosewater and glycerin", by a brand called De la Cruz. I was very hesitant to try it, because it did have preservatives, and I was wanting to buy an organic, preservative free rose water to use. Nevertheless, I tested it out it out on my hands, and loved how moisturizing it was, and of course you can't not love the smell of roses.

I bought it anyway, thinking that if it didn't work on my face, I would just use it for my body. Needless to say, I'm extremely happy that I've had results similar to many who reviewed this prior to my review. About 1 and a half months in, my skin is supple, smooth, less clogged, and coupled with not wearing makeup daily, it's looked better than it has in months! My face now averages about 1 or 2 pimples every 2-3 weeks, and they are not cystic and very small, and with calamine lotion they dry out and go away with minimal scarring in a couple of days. My scarring is fading day after day, and I truly believe by the time I start school again in September I will have achieved what I sought out to do in the beginning of summer: healthy-looking skin!

Here's my skincare routine if any are interested.

Morning:
Dickinson's witch hazel toner
Spritz of rosewater&glycerin diluted with water (about 1:10 ratio)
Garnier's refreshing gel cream moisturizer

Night:
After thoroughly removing makeup (if I'm wearing any) and cleansing properly:
Equal parts rosewater&glycerin and lemon juice (put in a spray bottle for easy application). Approximately 4-5 spritzes closer to my face does the trick of moisturizing my face.
***In my experience, the rosewater/glycerin counteracts the harshness of the lemon juice a little bit, but you will feel tingling or itchiness the first few minutes before it dries, but it's nothing that I couldn't deal with. The first week I tried this concoction, I did have some breakouts, probably due my skin adjusting to the lemon juice, but it's been smooth sailing afterwards!***

-Avocado oil for my eyes, neck, chest, and hands.

Now I'm wondering about what to do with the plethora of products sitting idly on my bathroom counter...

06/2014
It's been nearly a year since I've done this review, but I thought I'd do an update since this rosewater is now my holy grail beauty product. I now no longer use the De La Cruz brand for my face (I use it for my body). I was worried about the preservatives in the brand, and so I bought pure rose water from eBay and made my own concoction with a tiny bit of avocado oil and about 2 tsp of vegetable glycerin---and it's even better!

I still highly recommend rose water products of any kind to everyone.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2013 9:09:00 AM More reviews by Reemyn

I bought organic (so the rose petals come from biodynamic agriculture) PURE (no synthetic fragrance, preservatives whatsoever) rose water. I love it!

I usually use this as a calming facial toner/mist, it has a lovely flowery-fruity smell, and it is really good for keeping my pores clean. I use it after I cleanse my face with coconut oil. This method is my own little ritual, and helped me a lot. I tried some crazy expensive HE facial / flower mists (Tata Harper, John Masters etc) and I have to say the real, pure stuff is the winner.

If you're too lazy to read my review, there you go, a few words why you should try it:
- calming, balancing, smoothing properties
- lovely smell
- antibacterial
- really soothing, I feel less stressed after application

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 11:47:00 AM More reviews by aqelvis

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love rosewater for just about everything....I like to spray it on my face before applying moisturizers, use it mixed with vegetable glycerin, and various oils for a makeup removing oil that is fabulous, and use it on days where I want to kick some curl back in my hair when I don't have time to wash it. I also use it as a facial refresher on hot days, and to spray after I apply makeup to keep it from looking fresh, not dry looking....just feels good, and like the smell- don't know if there are any groundbreaking benefits, but it makes me happy....:)

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2013 11:15:00 AM More reviews by jdbly11

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this rosewater toner about a year ago. One problem I had with it is that it did not seem like it did anything for my skin. I did like that it smells good and it is not harsh but I did not notice any difference in my skin when I used it. The packaging is great. I got the spray bottle and it has lasted all this time and sprays just as good as when I bought it. One bottle lasts a long time, too. The price was not bad. I got it from Vitacost.com for $7. Even if you used it everyday, it would probably last at least 4-6 months. I never used it everyday so that may have been part of the reason I did not notice any results.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by lwashin88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

So I have acne-prone sensitive combo skin. I wash my face with cleanser (Black Soap or Dr. Bronner's) and my face dries up. So I use this as a facial spray and it seems to calm my dryness yet my face is never oily and it dries up blemishes to the point where they merely disappear. On the bottle it saids you can use it as a body splash; love it love it! It is hard to find a perfume with zero chemicals and is all natural, it just smells great . You can also use it as an all-natural deodorant, I tried it over Humphrey's Witch Hazel and no b.o!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall: 2
Price: 2 ($12.99/240 mL)
Packaging: 3
Buy again: no

---------------------------------------------------

The idea of using Rosewater in place of expensive LUSH toning waters was appealing to me, and since it's been around forever, I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Maybe it's just the brand of Rosewater I used (Heritage Store Products) but it made me break out pretty bad! I know it's this product because I am using the same face moisturizer and cleanser, but using a different toner, and my face is getting better.

When I first started using it, I found it very refreshing and enjoyed the scent - smells like real roses, not that fake rose scent. I use LUSH moisturizers, and they tend to go on better when the face is slightly damp. After using it for a week or so, I noticed clogged pores on my forehead (I never breakout here) and on my chin with cystic acne! It took me a few days to figure out it was the rosewater... but now I don't really know what to do with it, now that I have almost a full bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2013 1:05:00 PM More reviews by Jpatel91

This is one of the best toners I've ever tried. I just spray some on my face morning and night and wipe it off with a cotton round. It doesn't dry out my skin too much and makes it glow! Definitely a must have for people with large pores, oily skin, and acne.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2013 2:10:00 AM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am sorry to give this product a negative review, since most other reviewers here were so happy with it!

After reading about its soothing and lightly-moisturizing properties, I was interested to try rosewater as a toner.

My preference would have been to get food-grade rosewater that is meant for cooking, but I couldn't find any at the supermarkets in my area, and the prices of that type of rosewater on Amazon were too high for what what it was.

Therefore, I ended up getting a small spray bottle of Heritage Rose Water at a health foods store for about $6 -- even though I am dubious about the idea of "Vor-Mag" water, and find the "recommended by Edgar Cayce" notation on the bottle to be off-putting (you can look him up on Wikipedia), which of course is the opposite of the company's intention.

Positives
+The small bottle is a nice size
+The sprayer works well
+The price isn't bad
+The scent is light and pleasant, not too heavy or cloying (as I had feared it might be) - and I'm not a big rose-fragrance person. The scent disappears after about 15 minutes.
+The product is simple, just 2 ingredients, and seems pretty natural and pure
+The spray felt refreshing
+The product did seem to be a little moisturizing in a very light way, which was just what I wanted
+it didn't break me out, in the short time that I used it

Negatives
-I agree with a previous reviewer that the bright pink bottle with so much writing on it is a little unattractive, but that's not a big issue for me
-As I mentioned above, the whole "vor-mag" and "Cayce" thing isn't my cup of tea
-The third day I used it, about the fifth time in total that I had ever used it on my face (I only put it on when my skin was bare and clean), after 30 minutes I began to have a reaction to it. My face felt really hot. After a further 15 minutes of not knowing what was going on (thinking I was coming down with the flu or something), I realized that it might be the rosewater toner and I washed the product off, then put cool-water compresses on my burning skin afterwards. It was a strange feeling - like having a high fever without being internally ill. This lasted for an additional half an hour. I still wasn't sure it was due to the product, because my skin didn't look as red as I would have expected it to.

To make sure that the burning sensation had been due to the product and not a bizarre passing fever, several hours later, after my skin was completely back to normal, I sprayed a little of the product on one area of one cheek, and left it to dry. After 15 minutes, that one area started to feel hot, so I washed it off. I won't use the rosewater anymore.

I do have sensitivities to a number of natural products, foods, pollens, animals' dander, etc., so it would not surprise me if I were also sensitive to rose oil.

---
By the way, if you are interested in seeing more opinions about the Heritage brand of Rosewater, it has its own MUA listing: "Fragrances - Unlisted Brand - Rosewater by Heritage Products".

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2013 7:31:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

OMG, I thought that Boots Rosewater Toner was the business but I decided to spend a few more pounds and try pure Rosewater and it is absolutely gorgeous. I find the scent addictive and a major part of the whole experience of using it but the fact that rosewater is so refreshing, cleansing and moisturising - meaning I can occasionally go without my regular moisturiser - makes it an essential item for me. I decant it into two separate pump bottles and use one for toning and as a facial mist; to the other I add glycerin and set my make-up with it. I have tried it with glycerin and witch hazel too (as a toner) and that worked out well but that was only for when my skin was really oily. I am easily bored by products but Rosewater is now a staple in my bathroom. Oh, and even though my skin is now in quite poor shape I can still use Rosewater without any problem. What a godsend!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2013 10:48:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually use a couple of drops of rosewater when doing my bi-weekly Aztec cleansing mask. It keeps my face, which is oily and sensitive, from becoming too red after I rinse the mask off and helps a bit when the smell of the vinegar. It also balances the oiliness I get in the summer. Rosewater alone makes an excellent toning mist when my skin is a bit irritated or congested. It doesn't break me out or leave any residue. I sometimes use it my hair or skin as a light fragrance though it is only temporary. I never used it in my cooking, but will have to try that one day.