September 17, 2014 | 1998 users online

Hair Color - Colorful - Neutral Protein Filler

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2012 12:30:00 PM More reviews by monicaandree

All I can say is WOW! I have been coloring my hair all different shades from blonde to red to brown and black for 15 years, and this stuff is the bee's knees! I just used it for the first time and the results are so good I had to write a review right away. I bleached some highlights into my hair 2 weeks ago. For reference my hair was colored chocolate brown and after bleaching, I tinted a honey shade. I liked the results, but seeing as how I am a natural blonde, highlights like these are challenging to maintain as I constantly have to darken my re-growth or risk looking two toned. I saw a new shade of Garnier hair color (Spiced Cider) and fell in love with it, but I knew if I put color with a red undertone on top of my bleached streaks, I would wind up with a reddish, muddy mess (especially on my virgin, wheat colored roots). So, I doused my hair with the protein filler. Basically, I wetted a brush and ran it through until my hair was slightly damp, then spray an ounce of this stuff until it was soaked. Then I tied it up, waited 20 minutes, and proceeded to apply color. After processing for 25 minutes, I rinsed, conditioned, and dried and was absolutely amazed at the results. Not only does my hair now look EXACTLY like the color on the box, the color is completely even from root to tip. None of that reddish blonde crap at the roots or highlights - just striking, even, rich color. That said, you can still see highlights in my hair. There are definitely tones and highlights, but they are all even - no spotting or uneven streaks to be found. This is an excellent product and IMO everyone should use this before coloring. I am going to stock up on a large bottle and make it part of my routine. One caveat - be sure to buy a spray bottle dedicated just for this. You need to spray it and it comes in a pour bottle.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by Zoek

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I use this every time I color, and definitely feel my hair is in better condition when I use it as a pre-color treatment. Highly recommend!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/8/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by melyndaw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Having read so many positive reviews of this product - I had high expectations when trying it out for the first time. It is difficult to apply product to hair, given that it has the consistancy of water - so, definitely a drippy mess. But that part is not the most disappointing - the most disappointing is that it did nothing to improve the color adhering to gray hairs - they're still there darn it!! It did seem to add overall vibrancy to color that did saturate hair strands. Not sure I will bother any more with this product, since it didn't improve gray coverage.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2012 2:15:00 PM More reviews by Donnie130

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I used this last year. It was very inexpensive at Walmart
It worked really well for me, my color came out beautiful

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2012 11:24:00 PM More reviews by iamchristine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So here's a little background on my hair. My natural hair color is black, but it's been color treated multiple times over the past several years to various shades of brown. Earlier this year I decided to bleach the bottom layer of my hair to a lighter shade of brown to have that two tone effect. It was nice but after a few months I got tired of it and decided to dye my hair back to one color since my roots were starting to show. I was worried about dyeing my hair because I thought the bleached part of my hair would turn out a different color from the rest of my hair. So after reading some reviews, I decided to try this product. This definitely helped my hair turn out to one solid color BUT it was A LOT darker than the shade I picked (I went one shade lighter than the color i wanted based on some reviews here, but next time id definitely go two shades lighter). But i'm not complaining! I actually like how the color turned out! This also made my hair feel a little stringy/dry but that's easily fixed followed by a deep conditioner.

OVERALL: Great product for getting an even color application when coloring hair **PICK A SHADE THAT IS TWO SHADES LIGHTER THAN YOUR DESIRED COLOR**. Would def buy again the next time I color my hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2012 12:58:00 PM More reviews by evelynssye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Back Story! >> So, my hair was red and black for about six months. I loved it, but I needed to change it back to blonde, ( my natural color). I used One n Only Colorfix, which took the red to a light copper, but didn't do anything to the black. Ok, so I went out and got Clairol Born Blonde Maxi bleaching kit. Put it all over my hair and made the red a carrot orange and the black a medium brown. Ok- go back to the store (again) lol, and I got Clairol's Dark Medium Ash Blonde hair color, along with three deep conditioners. This Made my hair a dark strawberry blonde. YAY! My hair looks like a normal persons hair again woohoo.
Ok So after allllll of that- it's been a few months and I want to go lighter with my blonde hair. So! I go out and buy Revlon 70 Medium Ash Blonde. Put it on my hair- turns it darker! :[ Oh great! I Freak out, I quickly take it out and run to the store to buy Garnier 111 White Chocolate. Put it all over my hair ... doesn't do anything. I give up. My hair needs a rest I think, so I wait another month. So that goes by- and I want to lighten it again. You know that urge that you just can't resist when it comes to changing your hair ladies.. SO ... I look up what to do if hair color wont take on your hair online- This stuff pop ups. I hear mostly good things. I'm a little skeptical... but I go to Sally's and buy three bottles. Yes... three. Ill explain. Then I run to get Revlon's Ultra Light Sun Blonde 03. Three boxes. Get home- and put most my hair except for the underneath part up in clip. I figure if I wreck my hair or it turns some out of space color it'll just be the underneath part. SO I put in the protein filler I got at Sally's, just one bottle. I put it in a small spray bottle AFTER damping my hair wet with water and just spray it as much as I can on the part I'm going to dye. I wait 20 minutes like it says on the instructions, and then put the dye in my hair. Ok so I'm doing that and yeah .. I just wait the time it says to on the hair dye instructions. After 40 minutes I get fed up with waiting and it looks like it hasn't changed my hair. Sadly, I wash it out and just figure my hair is botched.. and the only thing I can do it bleach it... Boohoo.. BUT ... I look in the mirror later on and .. ALAS ... it did lighten my hair a few steps! I figure you know, what the heck! I put the two other bottles of protein filler all over my hair and the hair dye ( why I got three bottles of each, one protein and dye box to test out, two others to use if they worked). Followed instructions again for the protein filler and hair dye. This time- I waited an hour and a half! Ok so I finally take out the hair dye- of course I deep conditioned my hair again. Always smart to do that after a dye job ;-). I blow dry my hair and it has gone up at least three shades! YAY! My roots are a bleach blonde like the box.. the but rest of my hair is a "sun kissed strawberry blonde". Best way I can describe it. And thats from a dark Ash Blonde color. So after all this, I do recommend this product! I WILL be using it every time I dye my hair. I wish it came in a bigger bottle but it's ok.. I just have to buy like two or three bottles at a time. My hair is shoulder length and very thick. To those who say it didn't work I would leave it in longer than twenty minutes and maybe but two applications of it on instead of one.
Hope this helps!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2012 2:23:00 PM More reviews by glamourbomb

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

In a nutshell: this product rocks! It's fabulous as a pre-treatment to hair coloring. So keep on reading my full review if you want to learn how I use it and the results I get.

In the past 5 years or so my hair has been starting to show signs of gray -- perhaps about 12-15%.

At first I started seeing a professional but was never satisfied with the results and that is is mostly that I could still see gray, even though it was slightly reduced.

Recently I went to a chain hair styling salon and the result was what I've come to learn is called "hot roots" and my hair was pulling red. However the gray was pretty covered, which was what I wanted. The hot roots? I didn't know what that was and thought "I guess this is acceptable" but I didn't know for sure.

Since my budget doesn't allow for monthly professional coloring treatments I figured it's time for me to learn how to DIY. That's when I learned about hot roots -- and no, it's not acceptable especially when having my hair colored by a professional! But here on MUA, I also learned methods to prevent them.

So I colored my hair again.

The first color box treatment was Revlon's Colorsilk in 43 MEDIUM GOLDEN BROWN. The only reason I went with this brand of color was because a) it was cheap and b) the reviews here on MUA were trending positive.

Again, the results were hot roots and pulling red undertones. I don't like it. I feel like I look like an orangutan. However, I did not know that "Golden Brown" means warm tones, but now I know and decided that the next time I would go for no base color meaning neither warm nor cool (golden or ash).

After doing some research here on MUA, I discovered Neutral Protein Filler. So bought a bottle at Sally's and pre-treated my hair before coloring.

First I lightly dampened my hair with a spray bottle. Then I emptied the spray bottle and added Neutral Protein Filler and re-sprayed my hair with the product. I then took a wide toothed comb through my hair with the intention of evenly distributing the product. Then I followed directions and waited 20 minutes.

Next, I blotted my hair with a towel and applied Revlon's Colorsilk to my already damp hair. FWIW, applying hair color to damp hair is somewhat easier than applying it to dry hair.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT rinse the Neutral Protein Filler out.

Instead of doing a touch-up, I decided to do a full head coloring treatment. I chose 51 LIGHT BROWN (not 43 MEDIUM GOLDEN BROWN) because I wanted a neutral undertone, not a warm one. For timing I left Revlon's Colorsilk on for 30 minutes and then rinsed it out.

Then I followed up with Revlon's in-box conditioner because I noticed the last time I used it, it left my hair really soft. After about 2 minutes, I rinsed it all out using luke warm water.

The final step was to use like maybe 3 drops (less than a dime size) of Biosilk Silk Therapy but be careful when using this product! Less is more!!! I rubbed it in both hands and applied it by "praying" down by starting at the ends and working my way up the mid section and never coming up more than 4 inches near my roots. I then let my hair air dry.

RESULTS: I am really, REALLY satisfied with how my hair turned out. There are no hot roots, the color is evenly distributed, the grays are significantly covered -- in fact even better than any professional coloring job -- and the brown is a true brown color that is neither warm nor cool. It's just perfect for this brunette! My hair turned out super soft, shiny and bouncy.

The next step is to actually style my hair with product to make it look finished but since today is Sunday, I'll forego that and give my hair a break. Just put in a small barrette and go have fun!

PHOTO NOTES: I've uploaded a photo of the results. Please note that in the photo my roots are reflecting the light, so be assured the color is evenly deposited there.

I would definitely use Colorful's Neutral Protein Filler prior to coloring my hair every time. It is an "HG" (holy grail) item in my DIY hair coloring process.

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2012 6:23:00 PM More reviews by Kimberlyj33110

.This product virtually eliminates the telltale uneven coverage that usually accompanies an at home dye job. This gave my natural level 2 dark brown/soft black (accidentally dyed a level 3/4 Rish) hair an even base before applying a Demi. I used approximately a bottle in a half. Following the directions to a T, I washed my hair, did not condition. I transferred it to a spray bottle, combed through, set the timer for 20 minutes, blotted with a towel then applied my color. Pros? cheap, easy to use, and does what it says. The only con I can think of is the fact I didn't know about it sooner. Professional, even looking at home color starts here. As others have stated, highly highly recommended. HG product I will never be without.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2012 9:34:00 AM More reviews by ktyska

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have used this - about every 5-6 weeks when I color my hair - since summer 2011. I started to notice, and my sister too, that after coloring my hair, my roots where lighter (a light/med red color) than the rest of my hair- hot roots. My hair grows in very light grey and WHITE.
After reading good reviews about this product, I headed to Sally's Beauty and the SA said there were about 3 colors with a neutral one. I chose the netural, as I didn't want to add additional color to my hair, I just wanted to enhance and help my Revlon # 43 Medium Golden Brown color, adhear and color correct my weird, light roots. Boy, this stuff is gold in a bottle. No more weird reddish roots, just nice even color-ALL OVER!!
Roots match the ends, color is evenly deposited. My color turns out so perfect and TRUE. I use the directions on the bottle (get your glasses out...the writing is so small!!). I follow the directions for "tinting" EXCEPT: I put it all in a cheap mini spray bottle and apply that way. No way can you apply this without the spray bottle, I would be afraid it would not apply evenly on the hair and could cause a strange deposit of color after, not to mention waste of product.
I wait the 20 minutes, yes, my hair is sopping wet and dripping a little, but I have a towel around my neck. After the 20 minutes, I bot and apply my hair color. Now prior to using this, I have always applied my hair color to DRY hair. With this you apply your color to WET hair. OMG..color is so much easier to apply to wet hair!! I'll never go back to applying color to dry hair.
I will always have this when I color my hair. I buy the little 1.2 oz bottle and about 3/4 of it covers my hair. I combine water with the rest of it and use it with my deep conditioning treatment (from the Revlon hair color box) around 1 week later. I also use the left over as a daily leave-in treatment when my hair is needing a little more TLC.
HIGHLY encourge everyone to try it with their home hair color. I wish I had know about this years ago. HG for me.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/29/2012 10:03:00 AM More reviews by phillygeekgirl

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add to the ingredients section, so in case you needed it:

Ingredients:Aqua, Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (and) Wheat Oligosaccharides, Keratin Amino Acids, Aloe Barbadensis, Humullus Lupulus, Urfica Dioica, 1, 3, Bix(Hydroxymethyl)5, 5 Dimethylimidazolidine-2, 4Dione, Methyl ester 4 Hydrozxybenzoic Acid, Tetrasodium Edta, Polysorbate-20, Parfum.,

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No