November 24, 2014 | 936 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 2 of 5 on 11/1/2013 4:00:00 PM More reviews by justanotheraveragegirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had previously died my hair red, about four months prior to using this product. I bought a shade of brown, thinking it would look nice and was very close to my natural shade. However, I found it very messy to use and it had awfully strong fumes. Also my hair turned out a very dark purple, even though I followed all of the directions and it turned out the right colour in the sample test. After a week it still drips colour whenever it gets wet.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/2/2013 6:55:00 PM More reviews by vanessadoll

I would not buy preference again. about 10 min into dyeing my hair I felt sick and had to dye my hair outside because of its strong smell. It was also very drippy and made a mess. The color in the end was very close to how I wanted it, I got a medium brown but has golden tones from my previous color.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2013 5:02:00 AM More reviews by wildcardinside

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm so happy with this hair dye. My hair colour is naturally a medium brown with strong golden copper undertones in it.

I have dyed my hair both semi permanent and non perm. red, about 6 or 7 times now in the last few years and I have never been impressed with any of the results. I always opted for auburns or mahoganys because I was afraid of the pure intense reds, yet every single time my hair turned out 6 shades darker than what it is and I just don't want that. I wanted my hair to be a lot redder, but without darkening the brown intensely. This time I decided I wanted a more copper toned red so I went for number 150 which is "intense amber auburn" and I'm so pleased I did. My hair is around the same shade as before in regards to darkness, of course slightly darker but not too noticeable, and has a really noticeable coppery red tone to it now. The dye comes with a special oil you are supposed to add to the dye to assist in keeping hair hydrated. Finally pleased with a hair dye I have bought :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2013 2:26:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just used this in Soft Black over hendigoed hair as I seemed to have developed a rash on my neck from the indigo (I've used pure body art quality no additive henna many times so I know it was the indigo). Anywho, it was premixed together in the form of Light Mountain henna brand - only 2 ingredients were indigo, henna - no metallic salts or anything. You can use ANY chemical over PURE henna (except when you BLEACH indigo it turns green) no matter what they tell you in beauty school - they are talking about dangerous compound hennas that are readily available in like health food/beauty stores and contain metallic salts - the real stuff u usually have to order online)). I kind of unevenly applied it and parts of my hair looked black, parts brown. So I was scoping out black dyes and I decided to go with this for my first one, since I used to use it in Intense Red Copper last year all the time and it was great. Although I chose soft black, the color is JET BLACK. I love it!!! I know from the red colors that this line does not fade. When I was using the red copper, it was able to lift my dark brown hair and make it truly gloriously red with minimal damage. Plus, I used Feria over it, bleached over it, hennaed/indigoed over it, all to no ill effects (lucky me I know). I am used to using drying herbs on my head lately, and when i rinsed this dye (which was a breeze, didnt stain anything, skin stains came off easily w coconut oil and body wash in shower), it actually SOFTENED my hair!!! And that's before using the conditioner (which is wonderful)! Oh and if you're wondering the Soft Black uses a 20 volume developer; I'm not sure on the intense red copper as I didn't know about developers back then and wasn't checking. It says it right on the bottle. I left the black on for the prescribed 25 minutes. If I had one complaint is that it was a little liquidy and wouldn't pile on top of my head I had to use clips. I didn't cover or apply heat or anything. But, the coloring agent you pour into the developer is a liquid not a squeeze tube of cream like some brands. I would recommend this line. Next time, though, I am going w the Excellence line in Intense Blue Black as I think that sounds exciting. Haha. Plus it got better reviews than Preference, although Preference has won the Allure beauty awards like 4 yrs in a row. If you know you're going to use a loreal color the website has a fun shade quiz to get you some recommendations. Although my last bout with black was Feria Starry Nights, I had short hair I was cutting all the time and ppl say it's very damaging. Plus I don't see a difference in the color payoff. Try the Preference... There is a reason it won the home color award for 4 years! Happy hair coloring.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Just finished using light ash brown (6A) it comes out like a medium chocolate color, I can still some brassy parts but overall did a good job, hair is soft and shiny and I hope that I get at least one month out of this dye, had great luck with Colorsilk in light ash brown and it was wearing like iron but it was time to color my roots, Colorsilk comes a true dark ash brown and I wanted one step lighter hair for summer.
My scalp got a little irritated, left the product on for 30 minutes, next time I will probably will go with 25 minutes.
I had to recolor because the more I washed it the lighter and redder it got.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 11:03:00 AM More reviews by heathermrm

I have only used this product when I wanted light blonde hair a few years ago. Back then, it worked very well for me and I have nothing bad to say about it (no drying, easy process, smell no more offensive than other haircoloring kits, very pretty/non-brassy blonde), but as the years have gone on, I find myself drawn to either foaming hair coloring kits for ease of usage (John Frieda is my favorite) or super cheap non-foaming (Revlon Colorsilk or Revlon Luxerious Colorsilk.)

Therefore, I can't see myself re-purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2013 6:40:00 PM More reviews by coloritcrazy

I admit, I was scared to death to put another box dye on my hair. It's naturally dark ash blonde, but was dyed light red with blonde highlights.... about 6 months ago. I had at least 2 inches worth of dark roots and currently I'm trying to save up money for a trip out-of-state in August. A trip to the mid-cost salon is about $300 for me since my hair is thick and long.

After looking through the aisle of hair colors, I finally settled on Rose Gold Blonde 8RG. I was hoping to keep this strawberry blonde thing going.

The smell was pretty much what I expected. My hair seemed to dry out when working 2 bottles worth of dye through it. I kept it on until my entire hair seemed even with the coloring, about 40 minutes. When I washed the dye out though, it felt really soft, even before I applied the conditioner.

After blow drying -- it was perfect! The roots matched the rest of the color, and I'm so happy with it! I'll definitely be buying this particular brand and color again. I'm also happy I won't have to go so long before just being able to touch up the roots!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2013 2:47:00 AM More reviews by wesaypower

I purchased the shade deep mahogany brown to liven up my fairly flat natural dark brown hair as well as cover my incredibly resilient grey. I found application fairly easy and not drippy at all, no more difficult than using the John Freida foam line. I left the colour in for about 45 minutes and found that it didn't stain my skin.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised and pleased with the end result. My hair has developed a rich red undertone and my grey has been 100% covered with little to no brassiness. Since I have just colored my hair I cannot really comment on the staying power/colour retention capacity.

However, the reason I give the product 3 lippies is twofold:

First, the godawful, eye watering, chemical stench is almost unbearable. I'm quite sure that if you have sensitive skin or breathing conditions like Asthma you should steer clear. The product caused a slight and rather worrisome burning sensation on my scalp. Thankfully, however, I haven't experienced any irritation. Additionally, I know everyone has been raving about the conditioner but I find it not nearly as nourishing as it should be. I've had to heavily layer my hair with Moroccon oil post-colouring due to my hair feeling straw like (my hair was pretty soft, shiney, and healthy pre-colouring).

Second, the price. I think it's a tad ridiculous to charge consumers almost $13 when you have alternative products that outperform in terms of colour pay off and do not induce a gag reflex.

All in all the product worked well enough. But, I wouldn't really purchase it again unless it was heavily discounted and my local drug store somehow ran out of other box dye options.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2013 12:17:00 AM More reviews by huggabledust

i used the natural black colour and the colour turned out wonderful - my part/scalp stayed a strange brown colour for a few days but it went away after two shampoos. I do not use the conditioners that come in box dyes - I use my everyday conditioners like Pureology, Moroccan Oil or AG. This is only because I heard somewhere that the conditioners that come with the dye make your hair fade faster so that you'll buy the product again? (I have no idea if this is actually true). i leave my hair unwashed for a 2-3 days after i dye it to retain as much of the colour as possible (and because the chemicals in the dye makes your hair sad, and i feel like the natural oils help with that.)
The only problem I have with it is is it really stains the skin - mine at least. I do the whole vaseline around my hair line and back of my neck thing to prevent major staining and this product still managed to leave black blotches on my shoulder and temples. I've heard that hand sanitizer removes dye stains instantly, but that didn't help at all. It's been 4 days and the stains are still there - thank goodness for makeup.
I would repurchase, but be VERY careful of the dripping next time.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by newchick

This is not a good product:

I purchased this because the colour on the box looked good and it called itself a "superior premium hair colour". Tried the colour Brasilia which was (on the box) a shiny, rich, dark brown. My end colour looked like a flat black.

-when first mixed, it looks like a gel, but when applied becomes very runny and drippy and messy. I was constantly mopping dark streams of drippy dye off my forehead.
-intensely strong chemical odour - gave me a headache that lasted 3 hours+
-stings your scalp
-on the plus side - the conditioner that came with it smells good
-not very good grey coverage - the colour washed off my greys in 3 shampoos.

L'oreal excellence is a much better product... the smell was a lot less intense and it didn't drip, and the greys stayed dyed.