Baking Soda & Corn Starch

Price: $

Price: $

Sodium Bicarbonate, Cornstarch

on 4/23/2012 5:59:00 PM

This homemade deodorant is better than any deodorant I've bought from the store. It keeps me dry and fresh for the whole day, which is a big deal to me. It also doesn't leave any gross residue on my shirt! I just mix one part baking soda to one part cornstarch. I'm glad I tried this. :)

on 2/4/2012 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I live in hot and humid Louisiana, so keeping dry and stink free is a really important issue! There are plenty of products on the market that work, at least for a time, but I am trying to go "natural" in as many areas as I can. I began making my own deodorant about a year ago, and have tweaked my recipe to make the end product as effective and skin friendly as possible. Mixing equal amounts of cornstarch, baking soda and coconut oil worked well as far as controlling sweating and odor, but caused rashes that became painful.

For me, what works best is to mix about a cup of cornstarch with a fourth cup of baking soda and half a cup of coconut oil. This concoction keeps me dry, odor free, and does not irritate my skin at all. A very small amount applied after a shower will be effective for an entire day and night!

on 1/29/2012 5:06:00 PM

The best thing is that you'll never smell all day! And even if you already smell, put it on and soon you won't stink!

Works much better than all store deodorants

on 1/26/2012 9:33:00 PM

BAKING SODA + CORN STARCH LIGHTENS HAIR- REALLY!! I found this out(by mistake) after originally using this mix(sometimes with coconut oil for a creamy consistancy) as a natural underarm deodorant which by the way also works great! The ratio is 1/2 baking soda + 1/4 corn starch, plus coconut oil to a cream consistancy. I have dark-brown to black underarm hair. After two weeks daily use, I noticed the hair becoming LIGHTER! To be sure the HEAT generated in the underarm area also contributes to the process- so you would probally have to apply some heat/warmth to your hair & scalp area for the same effect on your hair(covering head with a shower cap & towel overnight & blow drying next day). Just had to share this!

on 12/18/2011 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

OMG!!! I made up a fresh batch of this: Arm&Hammer baking soda, cornstarch, and 100% unrefined, organic coconut oil - Equal amounts of cornstarch/coconut oil & a little less baking soda (read the posts about underarm rash). I put this in a small plastic bowl with a lid and I'm here to say that this after 1 week has been the best deodorant I have ever used. All the natural deodorants I have used work to some degree. No odor whatsoever. I honestly can say that I haven't even perspired under the armpit area. I simply use my fingers to smooth the concoction under my armpit area right after a shower and this really, really works! Incredible!!! As long as I do not develop a rash (as I've experienced with the crystal deodorants in the past) I will never use anything else! Cheap, easy to make, effective, all natural - WOW!

on 12/15/2011 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This is amazing. I will never buy deodorant AGAIN. I mix corn starch, baking soda and coconut oil till it's a solid mass. Press it in a glass jar and use a popsicle stick to scoop some out. No smell all day long - and this coming from someone who lives in the sweltering tropics! Little or no sweating at all. Am happy this doesn't have chemicals and aluminum which is carcinogenic. I DID get a rash in the beginning but I added more coconut oil and corn starch and that did the trick. Highly recommend this.

on 12/6/2011 8:35:00 PM

I used a formula I found online - I mix coconut oil, corn starch, baking soda, lavender oil, and Vitamin E oil for my deoderant.

I can't believe how wonderful this stuff is. I sweat A LOT and have tried so many different store brand deoderants/antiperspirants. Never did I think that mixing these ingredients at home would do a better job than anything i've used before! I smell good all day and sweat a lot less than usual. Plus, I feel a lot better knowing that what I'm putting on/in my body doesn't include all kinds of gross chemicals. :-)

on 10/27/2011 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Granny always made her own deodorant using equal parts Baking Soda and Corn Starch and applied it with a dusting powder puff. The ONE thing she told me was to make sure you soap up and scrub your armpits with a coarse wash cloth BEFORE applying. The bacteria that causes smells thrive on dead skin. I use a loofah or exfoliating puff and apply the deodorant mixture with an old makeup brush using the "swirl, tap and brush method" to minimize the dust cloud :)

on 10/20/2011 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I use equal parts of baking soda, corn starch and coconut oil. It smells soooo good, and works really well. Love it!

on 7/30/2011 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm a pretty sweaty person who is athletic and lives in a hot hot climate. Needless to say, deodorant has always been a toughie for me. I have super sensitive skin, and commercial deodorants made me break out or didn't fulfill their promised "anti-perspirant" function. I was using a crystal deodorant, and it was working for a month or so and then suddenly quit on me. Low on funds (college student here) and desperate for a solution, I turned to baking soda. All I can say is wow. No odor. Little wetness. No issues -all day long. I was using it alone initially until I got the awful rash, and now mixed with cornstarch it works just as well. My only complaint is that it is SUPER messy to use.

*ETA* after awhile, the cornstarch created a pretty icky situation under my arms. I'm knocking some lippies off for that, but there is a super simple fix. Arrowroot powder (or starch, in some places) and baking soda work great, without feeding bacteria.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products