October 21, 2014 | 1873 users online

Deodorants - Baking Soda & Corn Starch

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2011 9:07:00 AM More reviews by fag_hag

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is amazing. I will never buy deodorant AGAIN. I mix corn starch, baking soda and coconut oil till it's a solid mass. Press it in a glass jar and use a popsicle stick to scoop some out. No smell all day long - and this coming from someone who lives in the sweltering tropics! Little or no sweating at all. Am happy this doesn't have chemicals and aluminum which is carcinogenic. I DID get a rash in the beginning but I added more coconut oil and corn starch and that did the trick. Highly recommend this.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2011 8:35:00 PM More reviews by krisah375

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used a formula I found online - I mix coconut oil, corn starch, baking soda, lavender oil, and Vitamin E oil for my deoderant.

I can't believe how wonderful this stuff is. I sweat A LOT and have tried so many different store brand deoderants/antiperspirants. Never did I think that mixing these ingredients at home would do a better job than anything i've used before! I smell good all day and sweat a lot less than usual. Plus, I feel a lot better knowing that what I'm putting on/in my body doesn't include all kinds of gross chemicals. :-)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2011 8:54:00 PM More reviews by tigressreow

Granny always made her own deodorant using equal parts Baking Soda and Corn Starch and applied it with a dusting powder puff. The ONE thing she told me was to make sure you soap up and scrub your armpits with a coarse wash cloth BEFORE applying. The bacteria that causes smells thrive on dead skin. I use a loofah or exfoliating puff and apply the deodorant mixture with an old makeup brush using the "swirl, tap and brush method" to minimize the dust cloud :)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2011 10:49:00 AM More reviews by chloeandsue

I use equal parts of baking soda, corn starch and coconut oil. It smells soooo good, and works really well. Love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2011 8:54:00 PM More reviews by ECLion

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm a pretty sweaty person who is athletic and lives in a hot hot climate. Needless to say, deodorant has always been a toughie for me. I have super sensitive skin, and commercial deodorants made me break out or didn't fulfill their promised "anti-perspirant" function. I was using a crystal deodorant, and it was working for a month or so and then suddenly quit on me. Low on funds (college student here) and desperate for a solution, I turned to baking soda. All I can say is wow. No odor. Little wetness. No issues -all day long. I was using it alone initially until I got the awful rash, and now mixed with cornstarch it works just as well. My only complaint is that it is SUPER messy to use.

*ETA* after awhile, the cornstarch created a pretty icky situation under my arms. I'm knocking some lippies off for that, but there is a super simple fix. Arrowroot powder (or starch, in some places) and baking soda work great, without feeding bacteria.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2010 12:25:00 AM More reviews by HippieHottie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok, first of all, I'd like to say that this works wonders. Like one of the previous commenters, I add coconut oil to form a solid to rub under my arms. It lasted for over 24 hours, with absolutely no bad odors seeping through (which happened in less than 2 hours when I was using store bought antiperspirants(. I also noticed that I started sweating LESS using this as a DEODORANT than I did using antiperspirant. Weird, but definitely awesome considering I sweat a lot.

Now, for the bad part: like the other commenter, after using this for a couple weeks, I, too, started getting a really awful rash. I haven't used this in about a week, and tomorrow I plan on adding vitamin E oil to the mixture to try to avoid this painful rash. I'll update this if I find anything to make this less irritating..... if I can't find anything, I guess I'll just have to stay stinky. :(

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2010 10:52:00 PM More reviews by Jinhee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My teenage daughters play tournament softball all year around. This means 5 to 6 games during a weekend in season, in 90 degree weather. Being in a hot car with them after one of these games is...well, you get the idea. Nothing dries sweat better than this cheap concoction. And it just don't go under their arm pits either. Messy but effective, but as long as it works, they are not complaining.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2010 6:29:00 PM More reviews by Lola_B_10021

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I can't believe I've never reviewed this! An amazing antiperspirant (cornstarch) and deodorant (baking soda). I mix equal parts, fine sift into a bowl and brush on w/a ds foundation brush. The powder dissolves in no time to invisible under my arms and is the ONLY natural antiperspirant I've known to work and the best, cheap, basic, healthy, common sense deodorant around.

I've seen recipes of people making pastes or solidifying mixtures into a ball that dries hard but could be wet and rubbed on skin but too much work for me.

Watch your mixtures, if 1/2 and 1/2 doesn't work for you, keep tweaking and especially mind other skin care products used along with this. I've never had any problems w/irritation but could see it happening. I keep this in a small airtight container for travel and a larger one for home. Only cons, messy as hell.

Surprised at all the reviews this doesn't work as an antiperspirant, cornstarch is a well-known drying agent. It keeps me dry for hours on end and I sweat (unfortunately) quite a bit.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2010 3:50:00 PM More reviews by frostythesnowman81

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Messy, messy, messy but it works too well to rate down. This will not stop sweat, it will just neutralize the odor. I apply this on dry skin with an old makeup brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2010 4:21:00 PM More reviews by MichelleDLove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use baking soda a deodorant as well. When the store bought deodorants gave up on me I almost took to surgery for my sweat glands. OMG! I did a little research & found the recipe. I tweaked it a bit because baking soda can be a bit harsh on the skin & it was causing some chaffing. I have NO odor & NO wetness! If I get wet it is the end of usually a 10 hour day & time to reapply. If you try & have a problem with chaffing, dab a bit of Vitamin E Oil on before you apply & that should help tremendously! I will never go back to store bought aluminum products on my skin!