Neutrogena T/Gel

3.7

Active Ingredient: Coal Tar 0.5% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Laureth-4, Fragrance, Polysorbate 20, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin

on 7/11/2012 8:34:00 PM

So I have a dry itchy scalp and some dandruff but not crazy amounts. I tried this once before and i HATED it. it made my hair horribly dry and rough and it did nothing for itching and dandruff. then after trying a bunch of other stuff i decided to come back to this and I've gotta say, I like it a lot more than that time. it no longer dries my hair out, at least not EXTREMELY. however, its not a miracle. it did not stop my itching or my dandruff but it does give that clean scalp feeling and it definitely REDUCED both itching and dandruff by like 60-65%. i used to hate the smell as well but now i find it quite tolerable. not exactly pleasant, but okay. they might have changed the formula because a lot of things are different now. bottom line: i will continue to use this because it keeps the scalp problem in check at least.

on 6/14/2012 1:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Bought this for my daughter, her scalp gets do dry and itchy that she scratches so hard and bleeds, poor baby is only 10. Went to the doctor and they suggested putting baby oil, didn't work. They said to try this. It smells horrible but I was hopeful. This didn't work either, thankfully we did find something that did work and she has been itch and flake free since.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use this because I get blood spots on my head from time to time. I have never gone to the doctor for it because I heard you can try this stuff first to get rid of it. mine is not that severe that I need a doctor it's usually just 3-4 small blood spots/scabs. I usually go through 2-3 bottles of this stuff (around 1-2 months) before they go away. I like the product. It smells awful but it get's the job done. It's a bit costly and wal mart has a store brand for $1-3 less. Would repurchase

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The smell is absolutely horrible, but I think I've gotten used to it. I have the worst dry (more on the thick side) hair and the worst dandruff, and Head and Shoulders was not doing it for me!! Conditioning shampoos worked all right, but when my stepmother bought this for me, my hair grew addicted to it! If I go a day without using this shampoo, my hair gets all flakey! The only downsides are the smell and that it makes my hair kind of greasy, so I usually pair it with just a pump of a different shampoo to counteract that. Otherwise, this is essentially the cure to flakes!

on 1/24/2012 1:02:00 PM

Oh man. Well, as the below reviewers have stated, this stuff absolutely REEKS. There is nothing pleasant about the aroma of this shampoo. However, if your scalp is flaky and greasy and nothing seems to help it - try this. It WORKS. If they could just do something about that godawful stench!
I have had stubborn dandruff and bouts of greasy scalp that come and go since I moved to a cool, dry climate last year. It has gotten increasingly bad. In that time I have tried Head & Shoulders, Selsun Blue, Head and Shoulders Intensive, Neutrogena TSal, and finally this. I put this one off over and over again because it looks and smells like toxic sludge!!! I wanted to try Nizoral but couldn't find it anywhere - I feel like i have tried everything else. TGel is the only thing that made my flakes vanish after 3 shampoos. I am still rotating between all the other crap I have but this is the one that works. When you are as desperate as I have been to get your scalp just back to normal, you will try just about anything. This has been such an embarassing ordeal so I am ok with a stinky shampoo.
I am fairly sure I have SD, and have an appointment later this week to confirm, as I now am starting to get the same flaky greasy skin on my face. If you have these issues, I would recommend giving TGel a try.

on 10/12/2011 2:24:00 PM

SMELLS LIKE TIRES, but it works. I've been dealing with the flakes for years. They are so annoying, not to mention embarrassing. This is the cheapest product I have found that works (my favorite anti-flake shampoo is by Pureology, but it's $$$). After 2 uses of T-gel, no more flakes. I don't care for the smell, but it's not unbearable (hubby kind of likes it lol). It works, so I'll continue to purchase & recommend :).

on 8/28/2011 11:33:00 AM

I've always had dandruff and I finally got it under control with this shampoo. I would advise to use it as directed. You're supposed to lather up and leave it on your scalp for a few minutes to let it do its magic. I usually lather up and then wash my body/exfoliate while I wait. I don't really leave it in for 5 minutes or anything super long because I don't have the patience. But my routine gets the job done.

I will add that I still get dandruff flare ups. I don't know if its due to the weather/stress/whatever, so to prevent that or mitigate that, I rotate this shampoo with Nizoral and Head & Shoulders, but I use T-Gel most of the time.

Ever since I was a kid, I tend to get really bad dandruff for a few months out of the year. For a few years the problem went away, but within the last year or so I'm noticing it's back again. I have to be careful what shampoos I use because some of them make the problem worse. With my dark hair, I can't ignore it. When it gets bad, T Gel has been the only thing to knock it out. My mom used it on me as a kid, and I still keep it in my shower now. I try to use it at least once a week, and it does a great job of getting rid of the flakes and also clarifying my hair at the same time. It's strong stuff, and yes, it's like medicine for hair, so it doesn't smell good. I'm used to the scent now and it doesn't bother me. Like I said, it's strong so it does dry out my hair...so I always follow with a thick conditioner. I like using Aussie's That's Deep conditioner, and it helps take the tar smell away and makes my hair soft and shiny. Using these two together gives me nice, bouncy, healthy looking hair. This seems to be the only thing that works on my flakes, Head and Shoulders doesn't cut it. The key to using this is to leave it on the scalp for a few minutes and give it a chance to work on the skin. You can't just lather and rinse and expect it to work. Lather it up and shave your legs or something, then rinse and condition well. Oh, and, I've tried the Neutrogena brand which can be kind of pricy (about $12-17), but the Dollar General version works exactly the same for several dollars less (about $4 I think). If you have flakes and are tired of it, give T Gel a try.

on 1/20/2011 11:54:00 PM

i've had great success with tgel. i don't respond to pyrithione zinc and this works great. gets rid of flakes and keeps them away. i'm not one to shampoo everyday so keeping flakes at bay is very very important to me. the only things i don't like is the smell and this is very drying. but i can deal with it if it's going to make my scalp happy.

on 12/15/2010 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Bought this after trying other dandruff shampoos, and decided I needed something strong. I purchased the original, "new scent". First of all, I can't get past the smell. It's awful for a shampoo. Coal tar indeed. The scent totally clung to my hair too, and even after rinsing well and following with my regular scented shampoo & deep conditioner (and hair products), the smell remained! I told myself if it worked, I would deal with the smell... but it isn't working 100% for me so far. I've used it twice (I wash my hair no more than twice a week) and it has reduced my dandruff but not completely eliminated it..My scalp still looks dry after washing, and continues to flake a bit until next wash. There is an improvement in my dandruff, but because this shampoo didn't work as well as I'd hoped, I'm happy to toss it...that is one scent i will NOT miss!