August 1, 2014 | 1914 users online

Hair Treatments - Neutrogena - T/Gel

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2012 1:02:00 PM More reviews by caitiebug

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh man. Well, as the below reviewers have stated, this stuff absolutely REEKS. There is nothing pleasant about the aroma of this shampoo. However, if your scalp is flaky and greasy and nothing seems to help it - try this. It WORKS. If they could just do something about that godawful stench!
I have had stubborn dandruff and bouts of greasy scalp that come and go since I moved to a cool, dry climate last year. It has gotten increasingly bad. In that time I have tried Head & Shoulders, Selsun Blue, Head and Shoulders Intensive, Neutrogena TSal, and finally this. I put this one off over and over again because it looks and smells like toxic sludge!!! I wanted to try Nizoral but couldn't find it anywhere - I feel like i have tried everything else. TGel is the only thing that made my flakes vanish after 3 shampoos. I am still rotating between all the other crap I have but this is the one that works. When you are as desperate as I have been to get your scalp just back to normal, you will try just about anything. This has been such an embarassing ordeal so I am ok with a stinky shampoo.
I am fairly sure I have SD, and have an appointment later this week to confirm, as I now am starting to get the same flaky greasy skin on my face. If you have these issues, I would recommend giving TGel a try.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2011 2:24:00 PM More reviews by Hyperduckz3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

SMELLS LIKE TIRES, but it works. I've been dealing with the flakes for years. They are so annoying, not to mention embarrassing. This is the cheapest product I have found that works (my favorite anti-flake shampoo is by Pureology, but it's $$$). After 2 uses of T-gel, no more flakes. I don't care for the smell, but it's not unbearable (hubby kind of likes it lol). It works, so I'll continue to purchase & recommend :).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2011 11:33:00 AM More reviews by emorris4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've always had dandruff and I finally got it under control with this shampoo. I would advise to use it as directed. You're supposed to lather up and leave it on your scalp for a few minutes to let it do its magic. I usually lather up and then wash my body/exfoliate while I wait. I don't really leave it in for 5 minutes or anything super long because I don't have the patience. But my routine gets the job done.

I will add that I still get dandruff flare ups. I don't know if its due to the weather/stress/whatever, so to prevent that or mitigate that, I rotate this shampoo with Nizoral and Head & Shoulders, but I use T-Gel most of the time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2011 12:03:00 AM More reviews by blueberryfrost

Ever since I was a kid, I tend to get really bad dandruff for a few months out of the year. For a few years the problem went away, but within the last year or so I'm noticing it's back again. I have to be careful what shampoos I use because some of them make the problem worse. With my dark hair, I can't ignore it. When it gets bad, T Gel has been the only thing to knock it out. My mom used it on me as a kid, and I still keep it in my shower now. I try to use it at least once a week, and it does a great job of getting rid of the flakes and also clarifying my hair at the same time. It's strong stuff, and yes, it's like medicine for hair, so it doesn't smell good. I'm used to the scent now and it doesn't bother me. Like I said, it's strong so it does dry out my hair...so I always follow with a thick conditioner. I like using Aussie's That's Deep conditioner, and it helps take the tar smell away and makes my hair soft and shiny. Using these two together gives me nice, bouncy, healthy looking hair. This seems to be the only thing that works on my flakes, Head and Shoulders doesn't cut it. The key to using this is to leave it on the scalp for a few minutes and give it a chance to work on the skin. You can't just lather and rinse and expect it to work. Lather it up and shave your legs or something, then rinse and condition well. Oh, and, I've tried the Neutrogena brand which can be kind of pricy (about $12-17), but the Dollar General version works exactly the same for several dollars less (about $4 I think). If you have flakes and are tired of it, give T Gel a try.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2011 11:54:00 PM More reviews by luisajames

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

i've had great success with tgel. i don't respond to pyrithione zinc and this works great. gets rid of flakes and keeps them away. i'm not one to shampoo everyday so keeping flakes at bay is very very important to me. the only things i don't like is the smell and this is very drying. but i can deal with it if it's going to make my scalp happy.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2010 10:14:00 PM More reviews by skiba

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Bought this after trying other dandruff shampoos, and decided I needed something strong. I purchased the original, "new scent". First of all, I can't get past the smell. It's awful for a shampoo. Coal tar indeed. The scent totally clung to my hair too, and even after rinsing well and following with my regular scented shampoo & deep conditioner (and hair products), the smell remained! I told myself if it worked, I would deal with the smell... but it isn't working 100% for me so far. I've used it twice (I wash my hair no more than twice a week) and it has reduced my dandruff but not completely eliminated it..My scalp still looks dry after washing, and continues to flake a bit until next wash. There is an improvement in my dandruff, but because this shampoo didn't work as well as I'd hoped, I'm happy to toss it...that is one scent i will NOT miss!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/29/2009 4:08:00 PM More reviews by starablaze

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought the [Stubborn Itch Control] T/Gel.
Didn't do anything for my dandruff or itchiness :(
It felt good on my scalp while in the shower though :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2009 11:34:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For a commercial product this was pretty good. The only OTC product (coal tar) that gave some relief for my seborrheic dermatitis. If I had to use it again I would. But I've since started making my own shampoo which is working better for me (see my notepad). Do I recommend this, yes if you wanted to buy a shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2009 1:52:00 PM More reviews by SlowRnB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

SO has suffered from dandruff this winter season. We bought this shampoo and his flakes are gone! He uses it just as the directions say. 2x a week and after a week or two of using it, his hair has drastically improved. It smells a bit odd after you take a shower, but as long as you use conditioner, your hair doesn't have that smell afterwards. Also, I've noticed that his hair is much softer! Score!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2009 9:36:00 PM More reviews by jennadee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

When I turned about 20 years old I started getting dry, flaky, itchy patches on my scalp and tried switching shampoos, various things, until I tried this. This completely took care of my scalp problems. If I start to use another shampoo, in about a week my scalp acts up again. So, I use this along with another shampoo that is very rich. I find shampoos for curly hair are the best, because what fights frizz? moisturizing! so Tgel+a curly hair shampoo works wonders for me. I follow it up with any good conditoner, one that works especially well for me is Aveda Scalp Benefits or aveda color conserve to be the best with my scalp. Plus I really love the smell of Neutrogenas products, so i don't mind using this every day. I wish I got more out of the bottle so I usually buy the off brand, which works the same. I absolutely could not live without this tgel shampoo.